HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys South Zones

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pinewood

PostSubject: 4A Boys South Zones   Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am

Probably the most open year heading into the 4A South Zones that we have had in a while.

I believe that there are a minimum of 4 teams who are legitimately in the race to win and maybe as many as 5.

Zone Tournament Seeding
1. Raymond
2. Cardston
3. LCI
4. Medicine Hat
5. CCHS
6. WCHS
7. Magrath
8. Chinook

1. Raymond. Most likely still the favourite going into Zones. They possess the most scoring power in the League. If their shooters get hot than you can put it to bed. Everyone knows they lack the inside game and are not the best defensive team in the league. They just count on being able to score more points than anyone else. Raymond has beaten LCI every time they have played and they have 2 wins against Cardston. Biggest threat to them, weirdly, is Medicine Hat. Played them the first game of the regular season and last game of the regular season. Everyone blamed the first loss on it being their very first game and the good ol' Medicine Hat home game smoke show. However Medicine Hat coming into Raymond's gym Saturday night and winning says otherwise. Raymond does not like this matchup.

2. Cardston - If I am having to put money on a team to win it would be Cardston. Wait. Maybe not. LCI has had Cardston's number this season. Strangely enough Cardston has a better chance of beating both Medicine Hat and Raymond than they do beating LCI. Another situation of a bad matchup for Cardston in the semi final. Cardston has had some injury problems the last couple weeks and if they can be healthy and their shooters are hot they are the only team that can score like Raymond. Cardston might has by far the best inside/out player in Max 'Muscle' Russell. He rarely has a low scoring game because he can score anywhere. With a victory over LCI at the Magrath tournament this season Cardston is the only South Zone team that has beat everyone else in the zone. Does this make them the favourite?

3. LCI - They couldn't be happier with their final seeding position. They have the semi final matchup that gives them the best chance to win. They beat Cardston both at LCI and in Cardston. Should give them a ton of confidence. If LCI makes it to the final they should hope to see the Mohawks as they have laid a tremendous beating on them this season at the LCI gym. If they see Raymond in the final they are in trouble. Raymond would beat LCI in the zone final. Ultimately what will stop LCI is themselves. The players don't seem to really get along with a couple of them just seeming like it's more about them than the team. This most likely stems from some poisonous parental influences who would rather see their kid drop 30 points and win MVP than see the team win. They finally have the right coach in place, but the good ol' LCI parents just won't get out of the way. Nobody runs coaches out quite like LCI.

4. Medicine Hat - Proved they are contenders by beating Raymond on the weekend. However they need to prove that they can beat CCHS and Cardston if they want to win a zone title. The quarter final matchup on Wednesday night at the worst gym in the league will be the most exciting game. CCHS has won both meetings this season, one by a beating and another convincing 10 point win in Medicine Hat. If the Mohawks can get by CCHS then watch out Raymond. Everyone thinks that Raymond doesn't want that game however they really do. They want to prove they can beat the Mohawks. The biggest question in that game is will Medicine Hat continue to play their absolute best games of the season against Raymond. Guys that are struggling to average 10 ppg are dropping 20+ on the Comets. If that well runs dry then watch out. It could be a rude awakening in the wrong game. The Mohawks biggest advantage is that they truly believe they can win and don't care what anyone else thinks.

5. CCHS - Can't beat Raymond, Cardston, or LCI but can pound Medicine Hat. How does that make sense? The key to Raymond winning zones might have to be CCHS knocking off the Mohawks. CCHS has a couple dangerous players who can take over a game but they lack the depth and the experience to really make a run at zones. It's too bad because in the past when CCHS was mediocre we could always count on the Pasquotti side show to keep us entertained. New coach is much much less entertaining. CCHS fans will show up and scream at zones but chances are it will be the friday afternoon games the first time they hit the court at the U of L.

6-8. WCHS, Magrath, Chinook. - No point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Thats creating a lot of drama for nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:09 am

I thought it was a good synopsis myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 am

Ball456 wrote:
I thought it was a good synopsis myself.

I agree. Pretty spot on.

I could easily see any of those teams in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:15 am

Making Medicine Hat out to be the Comet killers is overly dramatic. I think Raymond would love that matchup in the semi finals.

The rest is fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:41 am

thetruth2 wrote:
Making Medicine Hat out to be the Comet killers is overly dramatic. I think Raymond would love that matchup in the semi finals.

The rest is fine.

Seems the only person referring to them as Comet Killers is you. He didn't say that. He said the Mohawks come to play when it's Raymond and that they've had Raymond's number this year. Which they have. No one should be trying to deny that. Having said that, I fully expect Raymond to win the game against the Mohawks, however would not be at all shocked to see this upset. If it happens, maybe someone will be packing their bags and heading back to Montana....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:46 pm

Med Hat just beat CCHS by 10
What are the other scores from tonight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 pm

The only score I know for sure is

Cardston 92 magrath 82

I heard raymond over Chinook by 12 and lci over Churchill by 4.

Should be 2 great semi finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:09 am

Comets 96 Mohawks 82
LCI beats Cardsfon by 8.

Comets Rams final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:04 am

For me key for Raymond in that game was snow and not getting killed on the boards also think that killed cardston was how bad they got beat on the boards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pinewood

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Medicine Hat lost the game because they weren't able to play out their minds against Raymond for the third game in a row. They played a more average game for their team. They weren't great, they weren't bad, but when you are playing the best team in the league you better be at your best. Raymond wasn't outstanding either. However their balanced scoring lead the victory. Had 4 players with 18+ points in that game. Nobody on the Mohawks scored more than 14 or 15. But that is how they have been all year. They have 9 guys scoring between 2 and 16 points every game.

Cardston losing to LCI didn't surprise anyone.

Great to see a Raymond against LCI final. Should be a packed house with a ton of energy. Raymond has handled LCI all 3 times they have played this season. Zone final is a whole different ballgame though. This one is a toss up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 am

Cardston over Chinook easily as expected 85-53... Lots of rest for the key players including Max Russell. Medicine Hat held on late for 76-69 win over Magrath. Med Hat led the whole way but kudos to Magrath for hanging in there even cutting the lead down to 1 with 50 seconds left. Should be fun day tomorrow with Med Hat vs Cardston for provincial birth and Raymond vs LCI for the title.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:33 am

Girls final should be a good one to
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawkeye

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:03 am

Medicine Hat when playing their best are pushing the pace but in the last few games they either have been slowed down or are slowing themselves down. Not good for them, they need to push Cardston and play Russel physical to win I believe.
LCI needs to be physical and get the big guy from Raymond in foul trouble. Then as long a Raymond doesn't get too hot with the 3 ball LCI can push them around a bit
The way the refs call both those games will have large impact on the games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cow-town

PostSubject: Live Strea   Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:14 pm

Hey there all......hoping to watch the girls game on a live stream but can't seem to get the southhoops.ca links to work.
Is there a live stream for these games?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:56 pm

Yes go to cardston school site then click on channel tv
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:08 am

In girls final CCH beat LCI in overtime by about 5 on boys side Raymond won by about 5 over LCI Raymond was up 18 at half but LCI fought back congrats to everyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys South Zones   Today at 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Boys South Zones
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1