HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys Provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
pinewood

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:23 am

ALL refs just get out of the gym ASAP after the final buzzer. We are still trying to figure out why one ref made a special effort to go well out of his way to find the ND coach and congratulate him and shake his hand. The other two refs were well out of the gym why he was well behind them. Yep you guessed it. Same ref that seemed to blow his whistle against the red team all game.

Looks like a duck. Smells like a duck. Quacks like a duck. 100% sure that's a duck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:10 pm

I really hate it when people blame the refs for a win or a loss. Just own it. The refs didn't force Raymond players to keep driving and getting blocked against taller more athletic kids. How many blocks did ND have in that game? Refs aren't perfect, it's part of the game. wrong calls happen both ways, I think it's ridiculous to suggest that a ref was favouring one team over another. Raymond earned their spot in the final the same way that ND earned their championship. In a one or two point loss I suppose you might be tempted to point to a particular call and say "well we lost because of that call." Even then, why not look at a missed layup or a missed free throw or an unforced turnover and blame the loss on that. This is of course pointless in this scenario because Raymond lost by what 16? Gave up 110 points? how about playing some defense? sometimes that wins a ball game or two. Great season by both teams, let's not take anything away from either team's efforts by putting the game in the refs hands. If you are relying on a ref to help you win a ball game than you will probably be sorely disappointed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:38 pm

That was a good win and a good tournament for ND. What they did coming all the way from 8th is hard to do and they pulled it off. Its certainly a tough one to take but they definitely deserved it. Great team effort all weekend.

I know the vote has already happened but what's the case for Bohne being the league MVP this year? The highest scoring, most dominant player in the league on the best team. Considering how Raymond lit up the scoreboard this year I would bet he's the highest scoring player in the province too. Is that a lock?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:54 pm

@ truth2
Classy post. Congrats on the silver. And I'm sure there are higher scoring players in the province.

@ Ball501
Pearson didn't get robbed. It takes both a lot of skill and a lot of luck to win. Just came up short. Disappointed in that last game though. A stronger finish and a consolation win against OL would have sat better with me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I think truth meant the league not the province
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard14

PostSubject: ND vs Raymond   Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Are you seriously blaming the reffing for Raymond's loss. I watched that game. Raymond went cold from outside (they nailed one after another in the Ainley game -again the difference in that game; not the reffing) and seemed to shoot about 20% of their free throws in the second half (again a turn around from the semi's). They jumped out to a big lead and then let it go against ND. They looked tired and played that way in the second half while ND ran them down. Reffing wasn't the issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:38 pm

League and province. The south posts stats so that's easy. No other league does that as far as I know but I've seen a lot of teams over the year and who else is there? Don't say Aher Uguak from Harry Ainlay. He may be a gifted athlete but he can't score at that level. A lot of talk before the season about pg for Pearson but he's not even close - maybe not even half. The only other one in the ball park that I've seen is Russel from Cardston and even then that's a step back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:14 pm

thetruth2 wrote:
League and province. The south posts stats so that's easy. No other league does that as far as I know but I've seen a lot of teams over the year and who else is there? Don't say Aher Uguak from Harry Ainlay. He may be a gifted athlete but he can't score at that level. A lot of talk before the season about pg for Pearson but he's not even close - maybe not even half. The only other one in the ball park that I've seen is Russel from Cardston and even then that's a step back.

@Thetruth2 have you seen Pearson PG play this year or you just biased? BTW #9 contributes to team's success in many ways. His scoring from last year is down a bit thanks to more stronger line up and lot more assits though. His assist-turnover ratio one of the best at any level. He probably lead Alberta in number of steals. He was one of leading rebounders on his team. He is best defensive PG. Only time he did not click on offensive end was City Championship game and rest of game was still strong as usual.

I watched Provincial games online. In game against Raymond he had betweenn 25-30, and shut down #30 from Raymond in second half when he got assigned to stop him. Early on when nothing was working for Pearson he got them going scoring 3 or 4 jumpers. About 4 minutes to go in game down double digits he brings them back within 2 scoring 7 quick points. If refs didn't call carry on #21 and another bad travelling call on #24 Pearson had taken this game and #9 did his part as usual.

Cardston-Pearson game speaks for itself who was a better player between Simar Bajwa and Max Russell. This game had a crappy feed thanks to camera tucked in corner I guess but still action was clear enough. Simar not only scored double digits in no time and was guarding Max and frustrated him greatly. Max couldn't score on Simar and had to wait Simar to be off the court to get going. Max would have been kept single digits if Simar was not taken off guarding him. Max is a great shooter and scored quite a few points when Simar didn't cover him. Simar lead both teams in scoring (around 30), assists, steals, and outrebounded Max by atleast 3 to 1.

Simar Bajwa is very humble hard working player and has proven many times he is #1 PG in Alberta. He doesn't need approval from haters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
not501

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:40 pm

WOW that train left the station; I think you are so busy promoting your Patriots you neglected to mention they lost to Raymond and got torched by 3 guards; one of them scoring over 30 points.
There are a lot of great players in the province not just on the team that finished in 5th place. sorry 6th place!

Last edited by not501 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Did Ball501 really just call out someone else's bias? hahahahaha you're kidding right?

Besides that, the province doesn't pick an MVP. who really cares? Do you think ND cares if Bohne or some kid from Pearson gets called an MVP. Sure, go ahead take it whatever. ok let's feed the Raymond ego a little bit. Bohne is most likely the best PG in the south right now. go ahead. take the crown. you earned it. congratulations. But, ball 501, at least he played on a team that won their league. Did Pearson win anything worth mentioning right now? They placed second in the city and got destroyed by Oleary in a game that meant nothing. Why are we still talking about Pearson. who cares. It's hard enough to remember who comes in second let alone SIXTH PLACE!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:04 pm

Simar is a great team player. He may not average 27 like Bohne or 26 like Russell because he's a true pg and works hard at making his entire team better. He could and he did average that last year as a grade 10 when he didn't have a lot of help. He certainly leads this little grouping of point guards in assists and is as night and day a better rebounder and defender than both combined. Point guards who are on strong teams and still lead their teams in points are typically selfish players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Does the South give individual league awards, such as MVP? That doesn't and I don't think could exist in Calgary. Those numbers are impressive for sure. David from ND would likely be in the mix for highest scorer... I do not think anybody else would be in the discussion in Calgary but obviously haven't seen every team night-in-night-out.

Arguing over who the 'best' pg / player / center in the Province is, is really a ridiculous thing to do. We are talking about kids here, playing in different leagues with different expectations, etc. Unless the 'top' played against each other multiple times a year, it really is an impossible thing to judge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:25 pm

I've always thought that this would be an interesting thing for Calgary and Edmonton to try and implement for a few years now. I asked a south coach about it last year and from what I understand, all head coaches in the south league vote for their top 15 players in the league, in order from other teams (i.e.- they aren't allowed to vote for their own players). Once this is compiled, the top 20 are asked to play in the all-star game, which will be held on Wednesday night. After each all star game (boys and girls), the awards are given out with the top vote getter receiving league MVP, the next 5 will receive first team all stars, and the next 5 will receive second team all stars. If you go on the southhoops website, the all star teams are listed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm

WBall wrote:
I've always thought that this would be an interesting thing for Calgary and Edmonton to try and implement for a few years now.  I asked a south coach about it last year and from what I understand, all head coaches in the south league vote for their top 15 players in the league, in order from other teams (i.e.- they aren't allowed to vote for their own players).  Once this is compiled, the top 20 are asked to play in the all-star game, which will be held on Wednesday night.  After each all star game (boys and girls), the awards are given out with the top vote getter receiving league MVP, the next 5 will receive first team all stars, and the next 5 will receive second team all stars.  If you go on the southhoops website, the all star teams are listed.

Interesting. There is an all-star game in Calgary, one player from every team. I just don't know how you have an MVP with different divisions. With far less teams in Div 3, I don't know how it would work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials   Today at 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Boys Provincials
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2