HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HUSKIES4

PostSubject: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:30 am

Has anyone else heard that NBIAA passed a rule stating that JV programs are now allowing grade 11 players to participate in sports?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 am

HUSKIES4 wrote:
Has anyone else heard that NBIAA passed a rule stating that JV programs are now allowing grade 11 players to participate in sports?  

Their AGM is usually in June, I would think something like that would need to be passed at the AGM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:33 am

I have not heard anything about this.

Note: I believe AGM is specifically for approval of motions made in regards to constitution or Bylaws. I think all other aspects (operating regulations, procedures, etc) all fall directly to the executive to make changes.

IF THIS IS THE CASE: There will be some good and bad. It may cause some conflict in larger schools and exacerbate problems with student athletes and families choosing to play JV. It could, however, really help smaller schools to appropriately place athletes based on developmental ability and need rather then placing kids by grade level to be able to run teams. Ie. At a AA or A school, the most ready 9-12's can play varsity and the kids need development or unwilling to commit to a varsity schedule can continue to play competitively for their school in grades 9-11 by playing JV. Where as now in order to run to teams that play in competitive leagues smaller schools often have teams with weaker players on their varsity team and stronger on the JV simply to be able to run both teams and meet the grade restrictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:08 pm

CoachDJR wrote:

Note: I believe AGM is specifically for approval of motions made in regards to constitution or Bylaws. I think all other aspects (operating regulations, procedures, etc) all fall directly to the executive to make changes.

The definitions of junior and senior are found in the NBIAA by-laws.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:12 pm

CaBBallDad wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

Correct. So my understanding would be that any changes to Junior at this point would have to be either changes to competition format (operating regulations) or a "motion" of proposed changes to the by-laws from the executive which would need to be voted on at the AGM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:21 am

CoachDJR wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
CoachDJR wrote:

Correct. So my understanding would be that any changes to Junior at this point would have to be either changes to competition format (operating regulations) or a "motion" of proposed changes to the by-laws from the executive which would need to be voted on  at the AGM.

I would think because it is specifically defined in the by-laws it would need to go through an AGM.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatFan

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Fri May 27, 2016 6:40 am

There is a motion being presented by the NBIAA to change which grades can play JV Ball. The AGM will have to approve the motions on 1 June 15.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Fri May 27, 2016 8:09 am

KatFan wrote:
There is a motion being presented by the NBIAA to change which grades can play JV Ball. The AGM will have to approve the motions on 1 June 15.

According to their website the AGM is June 8th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 am

Interesting to hear how this goes. Obviously would have implications for more sports than basketball but creates all sorts of scenarios to discuss:

*at larger schools there are obviously going to be conflicts with kids who aren't good enough/desiring to play varsity that could keep playing JV at the cost of keeping younger players in/out of the programs.

*increases potential for coaching conflicts/ program conflicts within schools where playing JV and winning or plaing for one coach over another gets exacerbated.

* at smaller schools programs could now increase the number options as they may be able to run a JV team where they previously couldn't because of the lower age restriction

* smaller populations can now have a more accurate reflection of developing players and varsity ready players on teams as kids can be placed more by ability and development than grade. SO schools in situation with only 20-24 kids total (or less) trying out for two teams can more easily assign players to a team commensurate with their level and program needs than needing to just keep all of certain grade levels together.

* we often hear discussion about JV issues: kids staying down to win JV titles at the expense of the varsity program OR teams not registering to play JV because they want JV to be for development but the top JV kids are loaded with older players/ not wanting to play up in a division. Depending on situation this could make those issues better or worse.

*creates option and scenarios where previously registering or playing exhibition would have been the alternative but JV is now still on the table.

Seems like a rule mod where its going to impact each school/sport differently.

Not sure how this will go. In my head for basketball I think it would cause more headaches for larger schools and established programs, but help smaller schools and programs in general. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Ban on kids who want to play   Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:48 am

So some forward thinker with the NBIAA wants to 'explore  the idea' (read ban kids) of not allowing kids who play on club teams or Provincial teams to play that sport for their school.
I am puzzled as to the rationale behind this...
Edit: I just figured it out. Someone wants to ban the kids who play sports from playing sports. Makes perfect sense now. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:17 am

Birdman33 wrote:
So some forward thinker with the NBIAA wants to 'explore  the idea' (read ban kids) of not allowing kids who play on club teams or Provincial teams to play that sport for their school.
Edit: I just figured it out. Someone wants to ban the kids who play sports from playing sports. Makes perfect sense now. lol

Well you've got a lot of obese kids who quit sports, you don't want them to feel bad that the kids who are in sports are playing a lot of them. Why is it so hard to be sensitive to the feelings of the mediocre and disengaged. Just let it be easier to do less and feel better about it. Come on guys . . . SMH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HUSKIES4

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:44 am

It's official, this is taken right out of NBIAA minutes:
Students in their first, second and third year of high school can play JV Soccer, JV Basketball, JV Volleyball and JV Rugby. We will need to discuss our approach to this change.
This will help a lot of A and AA schools build programs. Some of the AAA schools might have two JV teams now. Does this mean the JV
team at SJHS could three peat at the JV level with the same kids. Varsity coaches now have options, it also gives multi-sport kids a chance to play basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 am

HUSKIES4 wrote:
It's official, this is taken right out of NBIAA minutes:
Students in their first, second and third year of high school can play JV Soccer, JV Basketball, JV Volleyball and JV Rugby.  We will need to discuss our approach to this change.
This will help a lot of A and AA schools build programs.  Some of the AAA schools might have two JV teams now. Does this mean the JV
team at SJHS could three peat at the JV level with the same kids.  Varsity coaches now have options, it also gives multi-sport kids a chance to play basketball.

Truly a dumb idea but that doesn't surprise me with the NBIAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:14 pm

Don't think its a dumb idea but it is an idea that either improves life as an AD/program or makes it harder depending on where you were going into the discussion.

If you already had a strong program with enough kids year in and out to run a varsity and JV as it was previously all this does is add headaches. Now you've got more JV vs Varsity issues and exaccerbated problems with staying down vs playing up, winning JV titles vs varsity titles etc . . .

However if you were from a growing or smaller school/program you may now have the option of running a JV program that you couldn't before or at least having your best kids play varsity and your developing players play JV rather than having to assign people solely based on grade.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Are there any rules about grade 11 players having to tryout for Varsity first?

As a JV coach do you take a grade 11 who doesn't have a shot of making varsity in his grade 12 year?
Do you take a grade 11 who will play varsity in grade 12, over a grade 9 who would otherwise make the team? What if your decision causes that kid to quit basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:44 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Don't think its a dumb idea but it is an idea that either improves life as an AD/program or makes it harder depending on where you were going into the discussion.

If you already had a strong program with enough kids year in and out to run a varsity and JV as it was previously all this does is add headaches. Now you've got more JV vs Varsity issues and exaccerbated problems with staying down vs playing up, winning JV titles vs varsity titles etc . . .

However if you were from a growing or smaller school/program you may now have the option of running a JV program that you couldn't before or at least having your best kids play varsity and your developing players play JV rather than having to assign people solely based on grade.

Many small school don't have the bodies to run both varsity and jv teams so this won't help them. At the larger schools, someone is going to lose out. It will either be a grade 11 or a grade 9 player. If you lose the grade 9 player, he/she is probably gone for good, especially on the girls side.

This is an ill-thought, dumb idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:13 pm

I feel like this gives schools with smaller numbers more options. If you want to build a program and have more numbers younger they now don't have to play up until they are ready as you can stay at the appropriate developmental. More importantly to schools who don't have the luxury to cut anyone and still have two teams you now have the flexibility to have the best 10-12 players on the varsity and more developmental players on JV instead of having to have weaker 11's who will never play meaningful minutes on varsity because they can't play down and varsity ready 9 and 10's staying down because they have to for numbers OR having to run an exhibition instead of a JV to accommodate this situation. Anything that gives smaller programs more flexibility is better for them. The concerns re who you cut when are always valid but for most smaller schools this rule change won't change who is getting cut as much as it will let schools assign players to play at a more developmentally appropriate level.

As pointed out there are new problems created in programs that are already cutting players. Really demonstrates the different needs/expectations for JV at different levels and different schools. While in some situations it does create more program flexbility not sure how many larger schools run a top down program with Varsity, JV and AD's all on same page and involved in decision making process for athletes program wide. Even the NBIAA notes point out potential worries and concerns. Most sound like situations where Varsity and Junior Varsity teams are run as seperate competitive entities instead of feeder programs with a collective program set of expectations and plans. Will clearly make tough decisions tougher in those situations.

Maybe NBIAA needs to clearly define intent and purpose of JV league for schools/AD"S?  You've got a  Junior Level right now where at some schools you could have provincial u16/17 players are still not able to crack varsity squad or opting to stay down and in other schools bodies being found to field teams in leagues that have weak 7th graders on JV  teams . . . rule meets needs of one group but makes life much more challenging for another.

Rule seems intent/ targeted at increasing registration of JV teams rather than exhibition teams. Maybe more Small schools that are registering EXH for varsity because of competitive level will be more willing to register JV under new policy. Maybe teams that had to register as exhi because they had 11's will come back to registering JV. IT will be interesting traditionally juniors at A schools have been grade 7-9 kids and when they had to play AA (the 3 years A didnt' exist) they would not register because they didn't want to play against 10th graders with middle school kids. Will you now get more A- AA sized schools registering to play JV with their 9-11's rather than varsity, what does that do to JV leagues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: This attempt by the NBIAA to ban our club kids was pretty much laughed out of the meeting.   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:23 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Birdman33 wrote:

Well you've got a lot of obese kids who quit sports, you don't want them to feel bad that the kids who are in sports are playing a lot of them. Why is it so hard to be sensitive to the feelings of the mediocre and disengaged. Just let it be easier to do less and feel better about it. Come on guys . . . SMH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballislife2787

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:11 am

They even tried to say that athletes who played on provincial teams would be considered ineligible too. They should be trying to have all the best athletes playing club sports and also for their high schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA   Today at 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down

NEW RULE CHANGES FOR NBIAA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1