HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

It's Official We are moving to Langley

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Is this a good move for the BC "AAA" boys tournament
YES
64%
 64% [ 7 ]
NO
36%
 36% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
ebe

PostSubject: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Thu May 13, 2010 4:22 am

The "AAA" Tournament Committee in conjuction with the BCHSBBA has just announced that we are moving to the Langley Events Center for the 2011 AAA Tournament. I am sure people have some opinions on this one?

Last edited by ebe on Thu May 13, 2010 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FromThree

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Thu May 13, 2010 4:23 pm

I voted "Yes" - good move.

I would count myself as a traditionalist and love the atmosphere of the Agrodome.

I give the tournament committee a lot of credit for improvements to the tournament. Bringing TELUS on as a title sponsor has seemed to result in a new floor, better lighting, new backboards, new clocks, new horn and new scoreboard. There have been nice touches such as the pre-tournament dinner and the Baseline Bistro. Also, I don't know what happened to the slam dunk and 3 point contest, as they didn't seem to work as a full event in between games, but it would be nice to have them back, maybe in a finalist format where you have the top 2/3/4 compete in a much shorter match up.

The negative things about the tournament at the Agrodome was paying for parking, the smell of manure (better the last couple of years), the change room facilities and the food available for purchase (how many Dole Whips can one really eat during the week?)

All that being said, the tournament has been lacking something over the past 10 seasons. There doesn't seem to be the drama of the 1990s when the semis and the final took on a life of their own. In my opinion, the only good finals in the last couple of years were 2000 - Pitt Meadows vs. Terry Fox and 2009 - St. George's vs. Vancouver College.

I sincerely hope that some of the drama and atmosphere of the past can be rekindled in a new building. A fresh start couldn't hurt.

My final thought is not related to the location of the tournament. There needs to be serious consideration to retooling the berthing process. The AAA Boys needs to take their lead from the NCAA, which runs a pretty good basketball tournament every year. Still have guaranteed berths, but free up some for at-large bids. Teams such as St. George's, Kitsilano and Mt. Boucherie (only examples - please don't debate) would have added to the competitiveness of the tournament this season. The committee needs to seed the teams anyways, so they should be able to decide on a few at-large teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBall Fan

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 pm

FromThree wrote:

My final thought is not related to the location of the tournament. There needs to be serious consideration to retooling the berthing process. The AAA Boys needs to take their lead from the NCAA, which runs a pretty good basketball tournament every year. Still have guaranteed berths, but free up some for at-large bids. Teams such as St. George's, Kitsilano and Mt. Boucherie (only examples - please don't debate) would have added to the competitiveness of the tournament this season. The committee needs to seed the teams anyways, so they should be able to decide on a few at-large teams.

Agreed here, 100 %.

As mentioned in a previous thread, why not keep the current seeding as, just add 4 At-Large teams. These would be teams that were ranked during the year, were expected to make it to the big dance, but somehow messed up. This would NOT change the allocation of berths, just add a bit more drama.

By adding 4 berths, that would give a total of 24 teams.
8 of these teams would get a bye the first day ( tuesday ) leaving 8 games to be played, seeds 9 through 24. The losing teams from the 1st day would continue to play down for final spots of 17 through 24.

The winning teams would then play against the top 8 seeds, as normal. However, with the extra court available, there would no longer be a 2 and out for some teams. All teams would be able to play down to a final spot. There wouldn't be anymore of this losing on the 1st day and still have a chance at finishing 9th.

Ah well, I guess it would make too much sense to ever really happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shook

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm

Is this really a good idea? The fan base for basketball in Vancouver is extraordinary. I don't know much about Langley but I'm assuming more tickets would be sold at the Dome. And for the teams competing in the tournament, I think they would much rather want to go to Vancouver than Langley. (just saying Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan92

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Fri May 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I dont like the idea of moving to the langley events centre. For one it is so far especially because the majority of the teams that make the provincials are from the lower mainladn. As well the atmosphere in the Agrodome is unmatched. I still remember playing there a couple months ago it is an unbelieveable experience and i dont think the langley events centre will give that same atmosphere or sell as many tickets as if it was based at the agrodome. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBall Fan

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

bballfan92 wrote:
For one it is so far especially because the majority of the teams that make the provincials are from the lower mainland.

How do you figure this, when Lower Mainland had 4 berths this year, and Fraser Valley had 7 ??????

Btw, I corrected your misspelling of the word "mainland".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Sat May 15, 2010 2:13 am

Time to move on. The new venue should make things easier for teams and fans to get to. There is also a greater possibility of joining the boys and girls tournaments which would be good for basketball in general in BC. There is history at the dome no doubt but new history can be created, just look at the number of pro sports teams that have moved to new facilities and suceeded, our vey own Vancouver Canucks are an example of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan92

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Sat May 15, 2010 6:09 pm

my fault thanks for the correction
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's Official We are moving to Langley   Today at 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down

It's Official We are moving to Langley
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1