HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Varsity 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Top Varsity 2017   Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:50 pm

threads were getting massive so I thought I'd make a new one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

1. Leo Hayes 2. Riverview 3. Carleton North 4. McNaughton 5. Mirmachi Valley 6. Woodstock 7. Kennebacasis Valley 8. Fredericton 9. Rothesay 10. Saint John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:39 pm

Coach.CN.2016 wrote:
1. Leo Hayes 2. Riverview 3. Carleton North 4. McNaughton 5. Mirmachi Valley 6. Woodstock 7. Kennebacasis Valley 8. Fredericton 9. Rothesay 10. Saint John

LHHS will be loaded top to bottom. They have 2 players playing U17, and numerous who played U16. Are there any on the U15 team? Throw in rumors of a certain Sugarloaf and Harvey player transferring and they're set.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:32 am

Coach.Red wrote:
Coach.CN.2016 wrote:

LHHS will be loaded top to bottom. They have 2 players playing U17, and numerous who played U16. Are there any on the U15 team? Throw in rumors of a certain Sugarloaf and Harvey player transferring and they're set.

There were no LHHS players on the U15 team, there were 5 on the U16 team. 2 played varsity last year (Eddy Surer and Scott Perry) and the other 3 will be going into grade 10 (Alex Davidson, Declan McKillop and Rees Hason).  With the new rule, all 5 could play JV.

Last edited by CaBBallDad on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:14 pm

That would be quite interesting, playing Varsity in G10 then JV in G11.

Don't forget LaFleur too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:44 pm

Who does Mcnaughton have besides French...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:58 am

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
Who does Mcnaughton have besides French...?

They have Thorne and Wagner in addition to French. Very little if any grade 11's moving up that will be an impact (their JV team last year was starting something like 3, 4 or 5 grade 9 players).

Miramichi and FHS will both be ahead of MacNaughton, then we have the fact Moncton isn't even on the list (lets not forget they were in the finals 2 years ago against Riverview at the JV level). They will certainly be a good team with Kogler, Hofer and Estey, plus the HTHS kid going to MHS to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunburylarry

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:05 pm

I heard Damon Hemphill (sp?) went to LHHS. Anyone confirm this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HUSKIES4

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:01 pm

I heard the same thing, just what Leo Hayes needed, don't think there is enough basketballs to go around for that team. Also heard Moncton based player/s switching schools due to coaching changes at MacNaughton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Switching to BMHS or from BMHS?

I heard a HTHS player was going to play for MHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CarletonRavens

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:46 am

sunburylarry wrote:

I have also heard this. But it looks as though he has been recruited and has been in communication with the coach, which could be a major red flag for the NBIAA, which would mean he may not even get to play this year. I wonder what the reasoning is for his change? Coaching?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDarkKnight

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 am

CarletonRavens wrote:
sunburylarry wrote:

I have also heard this. But it looks as though he has been recruited and has been in communication with the coach, which could be a major red flag for the NBIAA, which would mean he may not even get to play this year. I wonder what the reasoning is for his change? Coaching?

Here is a quote that may explain why....."A great Coach is certainly part of it .....and he will continue to get that. It's the other parts of the game, where Fton will benefit him far more."  

I have also heard that Carlo Theriault is going to be going to Leo Hayes also........has been working out with them this summer.....

But I'm sure there was no "recruiting" lol........at least by NBIAA "standards"  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:11 am

Kids switching schools to play sports...this sort of thing has been going on for years around the province for one reason or another. I don't necessarily believe it's just the coaches doing the recruiting. In the bulk of the cases it parents making that decision to allow their child to switch.

It's hard for the NBIAA to police and enforce now because so many schools are now turning a blind eye to the issue and allowing it to take place. They would have to penalize over 50% of the AAA schools and coaches in the province. My best guess is that every one of the AAA schools in the eastern conference have been guilty of allowing this to happen at one point or another in just the past 5-10 years alone and on multiple occasions. I'm sure the stats would line up like that for the west schools as well.

The question is how does the NBIAA deal with this going forward?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
sunburylarry

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:19 pm

I hope the parents thought this one out. It would be bad if the kid wasn't allowed to play anywhere. Too bad too for small schools struggling to field 8 or 10 players of any caliber. Would be hard to think the LHHS coach wasn't in on the deal. As far as the player getting more of his needs met in F'ton ?? BS. JCS coaches are the best in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:31 pm

sunburylarry wrote:
I hope the parents thought this one out. It would be bad if the kid wasn't allowed to play anywhere. Too bad too for small schools struggling to field 8 or 10 players of any caliber. Would  be hard to think the LHHS coach wasn't in on the deal. As far as the player getting more of his needs met  in F'ton ?? BS. JCS coaches are the best in the province.  

Agreed, I believe he should have stayed at JCS and had another 2 years under coach McGlaughlin and McCarthy. Also winning at Harbour Station and bringing a championship back to JCS would have been great. He will get next to no coaching at Leo Hayes in my opinion.

Carlo Theriault on the other hand moving on to a bigger school against better competition will give him a chance at playing ACAA basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roundtrip1

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:41 am

It`s too bad for Carlo`s old team, Sugarloaf. They used to be a top 5 caliber team in the province, even beating the AAA champs, FHS, in 2012. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CarletonRavens

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:41 pm

ForceHimLeft wrote:
sunburylarry wrote:
I hope the parents thought this one out. It would be bad if the kid wasn't allowed to play anywhere. Too bad too for small schools struggling to field 8 or 10 players of any caliber. Would  be hard to think the LHHS coach wasn't in on the deal. As far as the player getting more of his needs met  in F'ton ?? BS. JCS coaches are the best in the province.  

Agreed, I believe he should have stayed at JCS and had another 2 years under coach McGlaughlin and McCarthy. Also winning at Harbour Station and bringing a championship back to JCS would have been great. He will get next to no coaching at Leo Hayes in my opinion.

Carlo Theriault on the other hand moving on to a bigger school against better competition will give him a chance at playing ACAA basketball.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Rarely do we see in the basketball world players transferring schools unless the school they are at is extremely weak and has no chance at improving them as a player. This is not the case for Hemphill, as JCS has the NBIAA coaches of the year running the show, and a quality program in place- largely in part to this coaching. It is disappointing to see Hemphill move, especially when historically, players from small schools have played with so much pride and passion to represent their communities, villages and towns, and have avoided changing schools to play basketball. Obviously those players recognized that no matter where they played, if they were good enough, they would be noticed.

It is hard to believe that no conversations were had with the player prior to the transfer. The article below outlines the NBIAA handbooks rules on eligibility. This is obviously a transfer for athletic purposes.

Transfer student eligibility:
Section 5.
The intent of this regulation is to prevent recruiting and the transfer of students for athletic purposes. All transfer students are ineligible for NBIAA activities until cleared by the NBIAA office. The NBIAA Transfer Form must be received by the appropriate group before a decision may be rendered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roundtrip1

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:32 pm

I would humbly disagree with you "CarltonRavens" that the world of basketball rarely sees players transferring. I concede to the fact that transfers happen much less in New Brunswick, and that is because of the spacial geography and finances of families. However, if these two barriers were not present, the volition to transfer to schools would drastically rise. A myriad of reasons to transfer may range from not liking coaching staff, teammates, offensive-defensive strategies, academics, minutes, and/or wanting to play at higher levels of competition, so they can reach their prime potential. I don`t blame players for transferring, in fact, I encourage it. Talent should be rewarded and not hindered, an underlying principle of our free democratic market. To highlight my point, Matt Daley, former starting point guard of UNB Fredericton, and only NB domicile basketball player with steady minutes , transferred to Bathurst High School from Dalhousie to help maximize his potential by playing with stronger, faster, and better players. Mr.Daley has also been known to transfer provinces in the summer to play for PEI provincial team ,as he saw fit, and achieved U17 All Canadian Second team in 2011  .If you want to blame anyone, the NB government has done a poor job stimulating economic and population growth in rural area, thus weakening academic and athletic competition in rural areas, that has hindered individuals with talent and has truncated the potential of the talented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDarkKnight

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

What a complete load of horse dung. It's the governments fault lmao.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:49 pm

Transfers to LHHS in the last 3 years (including this one)

Val (2014)
Chandia (2015)
Daeman (2016)
Carlo (2016)

Transfers to FHS/RHS/KVHS in the last 3 years

None (there may actually be one and I'm not aware, but you get my point)

It's not just a coincidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roundtrip1

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 pm

You are more than welcome to rebuttal my points with your own argument "TheDarkKnight", then to just dismiss them without merit.

If schools and programs are unable to suffice the needs of players, and they feel they can better themselves somewhere else, players have the right to transfer. They ,as individuals, have to look out for what is best for them.  

And "Coach.Red", I understand the concern of these transfers of shifting the balance of fair play, but players like Carlo and Chandia are better off short and long term academically and athletically. I cannot speak on the specifics of Daeman and Val, as I am not cognizant of the conditions of their transfers. I do not blame student -athletes for transferring to larger schools for better opportunities, and thus I do not believe they should be punished. However, I do believe that coaches who are contacting players and organizing transfers to their schools should be dissuaded and be sanctioned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:39 pm

Yes but why go to LHHS of all places? Nothing wrong with the school, but with the exception of SJ/KV area it's one of the furthest schools they could have gone to.

In Carlos case, he could have went to MVHS and played with a bunch of players he's very familiar with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballislife2787

PostSubject: Im pretty sure there are some girls going to FHS this year, while still living on the North Side. At least the LHHS transfers have an address in the area there school draws from.   Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:08 am

Coach.Red wrote:
Transfers to LHHS in the last 3 years (including this one)

Val (2014)
Chandia (2015)
Daeman (2016)
Carlo (2016)

Transfers to FHS/RHS/KVHS in the last 3 years

None (there may actually be one and I'm not aware, but you get my point)

It's not just a coincidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballislife2787

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:52 am

I blame the NBIAA for allowing all of this movement. They should get a back bone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:47 am

Coach.CN.2016 wrote:

1.Leo Hayes
2.Riverview
3.MVHS
4.Mcnaughton
5.FHS
6.WHS
7.SJHS
8.KVHS
9.Moncton
10.CNHS
11. Harvey/Rothesay
Back to top Go down