HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Varsity 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 am

lol call me when they turn out that way bahd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunburylarry

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:08 am

With all the overcrowding at LHHS and new students not being grandfathered in to avoid getting sent to other schools could the new recru.... I mean new kids able to stay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:19 am

Playing better teams and players makes you better. Most of these guys are coming from A or AA. They are.going to better competition and in most cases much more academic choices at big schools. If you can actually prove recruiting is going on then something should be done about it. The rules are very clear and if they are followed then honestly it's nobody's business who or why they transferred. Sometimes you just have to let a kid follow his dream support them any way you can and next thing you know they are in CIS living there dream. By the way moving away from your family and in with a relative to go to a school is exactly the same thing as transferring with the exception of the paperwork right coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HooplifeFreddy

PostSubject: LHHS will likely dominate this year   Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:47 pm

bballislife2787 wrote:
I blame the NBIAA for allowing all of this movement.  They should get a back bone.

The fact of the matter is they are pushing the rules aside, and nobody is doing anything about it.

I am a parent at LHHS, and I know of at least 2 boys who were relegated to JV who should be playing Varsity, because the coach was allowed to recruit these guys to move here.

I don't agree with this at all. But the school, the NBIAA, and the parents involved are not doing a thing about it. They are teaching these young men that going around, or even through the rules to win is what you should do.

In my opinion, a very poor example. Honestly, I would sanction LHHS's coach, I would not allow these boys to play. Did they fill out the proper transfer forms with the NBIAA to play at LHHS, the forms exist, and are supposed to stop recruiting. Let's face it, that is what this coach did, he recruited players. I am told his son is in grade 12, and is a really good player. I am sure he is just trying to ensure his son gets a championship in his final year.

But this to me goes against he fair play way that HS sports are supposed to go. Anyway, rant or not, the people on here who are justifying this are simply letting it happen.

Why not just remove school boundaries entirely for sports then. Fredericton can go back to dominating ball every year...

Have fun rebuking this truth guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsfan!

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:04 pm

TheDarkKnight wrote:
CarletonRavens wrote:
sunburylarry wrote:
I heard Damon Hemphill (sp?) went to LHHS. Anyone confirm this?

I have also heard this. But it looks as though he has been recruited and has been in communication with the coach, which could be a major red flag for the NBIAA, which would mean he may not even get to play this year. I wonder what the reasoning is for his change? Coaching?

Here is a quote that may explain why....."A great Coach is certainly part of it .....and he will continue to get that. It's the other parts of the game, where Fton will benefit him far more."  

I have also heard that Carlo Theriault is going to be going to Leo Hayes also........has been working out with them this summer.....

But I'm sure there was no "recruiting" lol........at least by NBIAA "standards"  Rolling Eyes

He's living with the LHHS coach (Daeman)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:36 pm

I am not sure about overcrowding at LHHS, but I think the NBIAA helped make room for the new boys moving into town by allowing some girls to transfer to FHS to play Basketball, while still living on the North side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HooplifeFreddy

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:22 am

baller24 wrote:
I am not sure about overcrowding at LHHS, but I think the NBIAA helped make room for the new boys moving into town by allowing some girls to transfer to FHS to play Basketball, while still living on the North side.

And so the local boys who would have been able to play varsity are pushed aside, or relegated to play JV. Recruiting is supposed to be against the rules. It is one thing for someone to transfer in, it is another for the coach to actively go out and convince someone to move to play. This is a public school system, not a private one.

Is it even allowed by District rules for a player to live in a coaches home?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:28 am

HooplifeFreddy wrote:
baller24 wrote:

And so the local boys who would have been able to play varsity are pushed aside, or relegated to play JV. Recruiting is supposed to be against the rules. It is one thing for someone to transfer in, it is another for the coach to actively go out and convince someone to move to play. This is a public school system, not a private one.

Wouldn't it be up to the parents to decide where the student lives?

I'm curious as to how you know the coach recruited him? And who do you think should have been playing senior that is playing junior instead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:45 pm

CaBBallDad wrote:
HooplifeFreddy wrote:
baller24 wrote:

I'm curious as to how you know the coach recruited him?  And who do you think should have been playing senior that is playing junior instead?

Whether he has proof or not, you would be hard pressed to logically explain how a player from Grand Falls ends up playing in Fredericton, without a place to stay. If he legitimately had a reason to transfer schools then it would only make sense he had somewhere's to stay (family or friends).

Throw into the mix the fact that he played on the same team as the coach's son in the summer only continues to add to the thought process of recruitment.

Continue on with another player from Cambelton who has had rumours floating around for a year or two now of transferring to MVHS who now suddenly transfers to a school 4 hours away from where he lives. This is another player who the year before played with the coach's son on a BNB team. I don't know where this one is staying though.

As far as who should be playing senior rather than junior, I would imagine the 2 grade 11's who lost a year of varsity because of 2 "transfers" who suddenly decided to play for LHHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DIKEMBEmutumbo

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:16 pm

its not unlike in yrs past when certain players from northern towns and cities would just go to whatever school had the best chance of winning.. Bathurst and Dalhousie both had mulltiple players play for each of them in different years..

nothing wuz done about it then and nothing will be done about it now.. its a shame to some people (kids who did not make varstiy and other teams who have a legit chance at winning with homegrown talent) .. but CHEATERS always find a way

their championship shoudl have a * beside it in the record books
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:18 pm

NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
HooplifeFreddy wrote:
baller24 wrote:

I'm curious as to how you know the coach recruited him?  And who do you think should have been playing senior that is playing junior instead?

Whether he has proof or not, you would be hard pressed to logically explain how a player from Grand Falls ends up playing in Fredericton, without a place to stay. If he legitimately had a reason to transfer schools then it would only make sense he had somewhere's to stay (family or friends).

Throw into the mix the fact that he played on the same team as the coach's son in the summer only continues to add to the thought process of recruitment.

Continue on with another player from Cambelton who has had rumours floating around for a year or two now of transferring to MVHS who now suddenly transfers to a school 4 hours away from where he lives. This is another player who the year before played with the coach's son on a BNB team. I don't know where this one is staying though.

As far as who should be playing senior rather than junior, I would imagine the 2 grade 11's who lost a year of varsity because of 2 "transfers" who suddenly decided to play for LHHS.

You make excellent points but the person I quoted spoke like this was fact, so far all I see is innuendo.

As other people have posted, this is something new.  Students changing schools to play somewhere else has been happening for a long time and nothing has ever been done to stop it.  Does this mean it is right, not at all.  But it comes down to a parent giving permission for their child to move somewhere else to attend school.  That is something that would be tough to challenge.

Your point about the two grade 11 players would only be valid if they would have made the squad before any player in grade 9 or 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Any results from opening weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HUSKIES4

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:08 pm

Leo Hayes 122 - Sussex 57
Carleton North 91 - Rothesay 81 in OT
Woodstock 75 - Sussex 49
MVHS 95 - Leo Hayes 87 in Double OT
Woodstock 88 - Rothesay 79
Woodstock 76 - MVHS 70
Leo Hayes 92 - Carleton North 83
Rothesay 76 - Sussex 62
MVHS 87 - Carleton North 65

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Woodstock only team that went 3-0 against 2 very quality teams and one AAA title contender. Expect Woodstock to get much better then that as well, I saw some of their games and the potential for the team is extroardinary. We'll see them in St John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HooplifeFreddy

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:02 am

HUSKIES4 wrote:
Leo Hayes 122 - Sussex 57
Carleton North 91 - Rothesay 81 in OT
Woodstock 75 - Sussex 49
MVHS 95 - Leo Hayes 87 in Double OT
Woodstock 88 - Rothesay 79
Woodstock 76 - MVHS 70
Leo Hayes 92 - Carleton North 83
Rothesay 76 - Sussex 62
MVHS 87 - Carleton North 65

LHHS won 2 of three games with only 7 players as the rest of their team stayed home to play in provincial football final. Expect that loss to be MSHS to be their only loss to an NB team this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:03 am

Yes they are going to cheat and win...it is so sad for a team like MVHS who has worked their whole lives for this year under coach Watters and Leo Hayes cheated and unless they find away to frig it up, will win. It just shows how low that school and their coach is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:59 am

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
Yes they are going to cheat and win...it is so sad for a team like MVHS who has worked their whole lives for this year under coach Watters and Leo Hayes cheated and unless they find away to frig it up, will win. It just shows how low that school and their coach is

How did they cheat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:00 pm

By recruiting players...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

You mean you are assuming they recruited players.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:57 pm

CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

"Transfer" from Sugarloaf High School (4 hour drive, player living with another "transfer" who "transferred" last year).
"Transfer" from Sussex High School
"Transfer" From Grand Falls (player who played with coaches son, and is living with the coach).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:21 pm

NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

"Transfer" from Sugarloaf High School (4 hour drive, player living with another "transfer" who "transferred" last year).
"Transfer" From Grand Falls (player who played with coaches son, and is living with the coach).

You still offer no proof that the coach recruited these boys. And the transfer from Sussex moved here with his family.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:32 pm

CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

You still offer no proof that the coach recruited these boys.  And the transfer from Sussex moved here with his family.

I don't really care what they did, but for you to so boldly say it isn't a transfer when you offer no explanation why a player is living with the coach is just absurd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:48 pm

NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

You still offer no proof that the coach recruited these boys.  And the transfer from Sussex moved here with his family.

I don't really care what they did, but for you to so boldly say it isn't a transfer when you offer no explanation why a player is living with the coach is just absurd.

I didn't say anything about living with the coach because the kid from Sussex isn't living with the coach, his family moved here.

As for the other two, nobody has yet shown that they were actually recruited by the coach. It could very well be that the kids wanted to play at a larger school because of the higher profile, the larger schools typically offer more academic options, or the family could have simply decided that is what they thought was best for the students.

This also isn't the only school that has students transfer in from other regions with out actually having family live there. Sometimes it happens even within the same city. This is not something new.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HooplifeFreddy

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:24 am

CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

I didn't say anything about living with the coach because the kid from Sussex isn't living with the coach, his family moved here.

As for the other two, nobody has yet shown that they were actually recruited by the coach.  It could very well be that the kids wanted to play at a larger school because of the higher profile, the larger schools typically offer more academic options, or the family could have simply decided that is what they thought was best for the students.

This also isn't the only school that has students transfer in from other regions with out actually having family live there.  Sometimes it happens even within the same city.  This is not something new.

We get it, you want to have a blind eye to this, fine. But that does not give you the right to tell others "you need proof" You want sworn statements? From whom? You think anyone involved would admit it?

Anyway, enjoy burying your head in the sand, but don't presume to tell the rest of us to do the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:30 pm

HooplifeFreddy wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Ballforlife12345 wrote:
By recruiting players...

As for the other two, nobody has yet shown that they were actually recruited by the coach.  It could very well be that the kids wanted to play at a larger school because of the higher profile, the larger schools typically offer more academic options, or the family could have simply decided that is what they thought was best for the students.

This also isn't the only school that has students transfer in from other regions with out actually having family live there.  Sometimes it happens even within the same city.  This is not something new.

We get it, you want to have a blind eye to this, fine. But that does not give you the right to tell others "you need proof" You want sworn statements? From whom? You think anyone involved would admit it?

Anyway, enjoy burying your head in the sand, but don't presume to tell the rest of us to do the same.

Didn't say I was OK with it, I don't see it as an issue if the NBIAA is going to do nothing to enforce residency rules but it would be very difficult for them to do it unless someone came right out and said they were recruited.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2017   Today at 3:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Top Varsity 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next