HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sr. Girls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:57 am

Calgary starts in under a week
What are the predictions? Will anyone compete with Western?? Any dark horses??
is yycbasketball on here? Would like to hear their thoughts.

What about the rest of Alberta??

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigCountry

PostSubject: Lots of Opportunity for a provincial birth   Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:26 pm

This year, like no other is going to be interesting in Calgary. Western will be the elite power with Centennial and Francis coming out on the second tier. After that, its wide open....Bishop Carroll, William Aberhart, and it drops off from there. 3 through 6th will be fascinating to see how that all sorts out. Coaching and quality of practices will come into play big time this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:10 pm

City championships are Western's to lose.
I see Francis, BC, Marys, Aberhart, and Centennial all in the next group.

Centennial will have the players but coaching always seems to bring them down. This will be an interesting year for them. They have the height but do they have the guards?

Francis has a few players left over from the ASAA championship team but they wont be anywhere near the team they had last year. They will go as far as their grade 10 can take them. They also have a coaching change.... again! Francis is in the conversation though

Aberhart is also in the conversation - I'm still trying to get info on them

Marys - suffered a major injury to a key player. All depends on when shes back and what damage is done at that time.

because of the big gap between the contenders and the non contenders we will see a lot of great close games and a lot of blow outs. Coaching will be the deciding factor like no other year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 am

Here are my 2016/2017 predictions for Division 1

#1 - Western
6-7 players coming back, this team is going to be the strongest team in Calgary. Strong point guards, two girls over 6'0 that are strong players including one who got an invite to the National ID camp. I agree with Basketball Calgary, it's Western's to lose

#2 - Centennial
Strong Junior team coming up with one of the best Grade 11 players in the province. A few returnees from last year. They will be a top team coming out of Calgary and has the best chance to upset Western.

#3 - Bishop Carroll
A very young team with several Grade 10's & 11's, they will turn some heads. I have them as 3rd however, their youth and inexperience may have cause some problems as the season progresses.

#4 - St. Francis
It has been confirmed that Brynn is playing up onto the Senior team, she is a game changer and the best Grade 10 in the province. They have 4-5 players returning from last year's Championship team, however, no starters are returning. They match up well against Centennial so it would be no surprise if they end up in the top 3.

#5 - St. Mary's
I know they aren't ranked high in the Calgary Classic tournament but they have injuries currently. When they are healthy in the new year they might be able to make a run to crack the top 4

#6 - Aberhart
Aberhart always competes every year - returning with a younger team, I think they are still in a rebuilding phase but may upset #3, #4 or #5 if they play well

#7 - Ernest Manning
Strong junior team in Division 2 last year, they also don't have a lot of Grade 12's to help them transition into Division 1. They will compete but don't expect any major upsets with this team

#8-#11 - Churchill, Grandin, Scarlett, BOB
These 4 teams are in a rebuild stage and drop off from the top 7. They will all battle out for the final play-off spot but I can't see them beating any of the teams in the top 7

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks for the details.

I think Francis, Aberhart, BC, and Marys will all flip flop during the season. Head to head games will be key in determining final standings.

I wouldn't look too close at the Basketball Ball Classic rankings and from what I understand its determined by boys basketball coaches, not girls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:42 am

The Basketball Classic is next week

Rd1
Western vs. BOB - Western by 30+

Francis vs. Abe - Abe by 5 (This is the game of the first round, it could go either way..... I'm giving it to Abe because I think they will be more prepared than a Francis team adjusting to a new coach)

Centennial vs. Marys - Centennial by 20

BC vs. BG - BC by 20

Rd2
Western vs. Abe - Western by 20

Centennial vs. BC - Centennial by 25

Final
Western over Centennial by 10

Bronze
Abe over BC by 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justafanofbasketball

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:24 pm

Basketballcalgary, you obviously are the coach of Abehart. It's okay but if you just stated you were from Abe then it would explain why your numerous posts over the years always end up talking about Abe and it would then make sense. If you aren't the coach from Abe then your post doesn't make any sense

There is no way Abe is beating St. Francis - I agree with Girlballer that Brynn is one of the best players out their and unless you got a transfer of a 6' foot player, Abe has no one to stop her. They still have returning grade 12 guards that are stronger then any of the grade 11 or 12 guards on the abe team. I am not trying to smack talk the abe team but you position your posts in a way that you aren't bias when you clearly are.

Everyone seems to be ruling st francis out and I think they have a good chance to make it to the final again. I don't know if they are good enough to beat Western but they certainly are strong enough to beat Abe. I have St francis beating abe by 15+ next week and by the end of the season 20+.

I am not the coach but am a St Francis fan and don't pretend to be unbias. This is my first post after reading post after post of propaganda on Abe so I thought I'd finally weigh in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 am

Not the coach at Abe, I actually have nothing to do with the school. I'm sorry if my suggestion that Aberhart might be able to upset Francis next week offended you but its just talk and predictions. Francis could beat Abe by 30 or Abe could upset them....... its game and life will go on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celticsfan191

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:13 pm

I tend to agree with justafanofbasketball. I think everyone on this site has a team they are cheering for, or have a connection with. Myself I am Connected to Mary's. I think our team is being under estimated this year and once we are at full strength I think we could surprise some folks.

I do however find basketballcalgay's pick's to be interesting. You pick the entire draw as chalk accept the only upsets are with Abe? I am really interested to know why you feel Abe is more prepared than the defending city champs? Yes I know they lose the Big 5 however they do add the best player from BA's U-17 team last summer, oh and she also has been invited to a national team camps... I am just curious as to what inside info you have? Did Abe get a superstar transfer that no one knows about? I don't really think you can say at this point of the year someone is more "prepared" than others. All the teams start tryouts on the same day, is Abe doing something different ? I am interested to hear what insight you might have. I agree with justafanofbasketball, you're a Abe supporter, which is great to have someone in the know providing insight into the season. Obviously from what you're seeing on your end, Abe has few tricks up thier sleeves and maybe a transfer or two..:

As for my predictions I think you will for sure see a Western vs Centennial final. Western is the team to beat and deserves the #1 ranking until someone proves otherwise.

Should be a fun week of basketball coming up ...and yes it's game and life will go on...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:24 pm

Western and St Francis are in the District 4 this weekend. Anybody else have games this weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach_Hutton

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:51 am

I come on here from time to time to read whats happening, I find it very entertaining.
I thought because there's been talk about my team, Aberhart, I'd post something. At Abe our goal night in and night our is to compete and execute our game plan. That combined with detailed preparation I feel puts us in a position to have success, whatever success might be on that night. Sometimes its winning while other times its competing for three quarters. We will be very young this year as we only have two grade twelves' with three grade tens. When it comes to our upcoming Francis game Bryn presents a huge defensive match up for us. In my humble opinion, and no disrespect to anyone else, I think shes the best player in the city. Francis also returns some talented guards with big game experience. Not suggesting that our game is big but you cant deny the development of Basketball IQ when your on a championship team. I think everyone knows what they get when playing us, at least I hope, we'll prepare hard and compete harder. After that you cant fault athletes for not having skill or height. Francis will be a very good team this season, I see them being right up there with Western and Centennial. We're excited to get playing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
justafanofbasketball

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 pm

When it comes to predictions, I guess anyone can make them... no matter how bad, wrong or off they may be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celticsfan191

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:35 am

Predicting the NCAA tournament is hard, predicting high school girls basketball in calgary seems to be a bit easer. The top four teams in calgary moved into the semi finals with ease. Except for western who I guess had a close one with chestermere?!? If anyone has any insight into that game and what happened I would love to hear it. With that being said it looks like it's going to be 4 horse race in calgary this year and then a big drop off after that. I am still predcecting a western vs centennial final, however I wouldn't be totally surprised if we had one upset. I would love to know what basketballcalgary thinks of all this?!? Haven't heard much from him/her since the Abe coach chimed in...

Should be two great games tonight
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Mondays scores did leave me scratching my head. The western score was a surprise, same with aberharts and marys point out puts. I wasn't aware of Abe being "young" as coach hutten said. It was nice to get information from the team. I think marys had injuries to starters which explain the low score. Abe also had players out from what I heard as I wasn't at the game, maybe coach hutten could confirm? its hard to argue results so yes at this point in time it does appear to be a 4 horse race. its not a matter of "if" an upset will happen but rather "when". I didn't post anything because i wasn't about to argue with the coach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: first round    Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:11 am

I think that the chestermere girls are going to be a lot better than expected this year they return everybody from last years team, and they got a new coach I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:52 pm

From what I am gathering, it is shaping up to be a 3 horse race with Jasper Place, LCI, and Western Canada. All three are in the REB tournament this weekend so maybe that will give us a better idea.

LCI and Western played in the D4 two weekends ago and LCI won by 4. Both have had 40 point wins over St Francis.

JP had a convincing league win over Spruce Grove and a 4 point win over them at Shep with some other big wins at Shep tourney.

My question for westwinds bball is, are there any other teams in the south that can compete? I know comparing scores doesn't always work or tell the whole story, but LCI had a win over Magrath by more than 50. Magrath, in turn, lost by 5 to Cardston, and 7 to Myers. Myers beat cch by 5, Cardston by 2 and lost to Raymond by 3. This is all assuming the scores are correct on the Cardston tournament website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:51 pm

LCI is the clear girls favorite in the South. I'd be quite surprised if any other team will come close to them. The battle will be for who gets the next spot or two at provincials. Myers and Magrath are 3A, so Cardston, Med Hat, Raymond, and CCH will be fighting hard to earn those provincial berths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:09 pm

Raymond might have been better but they are breaking in a new coach unexpectedly so yeah no one else in south hangs with those three.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celticsfan191

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:40 am

What a great first week of calgary basketball. Chestamere was the surprise team of the tournament winning the consolation bracket and pushing western. It's to bad they can't play in calgary div 1. Western out matched centennial in the final and their size and speed took over. I don't see anyone in calgary beating western right now.

The reb should be an awesome tournament, with all the top teams in attendance. It's great to hear from calgary basketball again, keep us posted on Abe's rise to glory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Have a bit of free time so thought I would bring Edmonton teams up to speed for people. As mentioned, Edmonton Metro Tier 1 is JP's to lose as they return every player from last year's championship team and #2 finish in the province. JP can play a multitude of different styles as they have significant size, can shoot and go off the bounce. I also look forward to seeing how they do against the top Calgary teams and LCI from the south.
Spruce Grove will go as far as Jenna Harpe can take them. She can score and distribute and will put pressure on opposing teams guards in the sense that she draws a lot of fouls due to her strength. Georgia, their off guard is a solid underrated player and can be very complimentary to Jenna. Spruce works hard and gets in your grill for 40min. Teams that underestimate pay the price - which is what JP did the first time they played in Shep tournament.
Paul Kane will definitely be a top 6-7 provincial team returning key players only graduating 2 grade 12's last year. They have size, can shoot and have some of the top young talent in the province. Rick Stanley has gone from AC to official HC this year and will put pressure on the team to perform - including his 2 talented daughters Alesha (U17 prov team) and Ella (U15 prov team/National ID player). This group as played a lot of games together as they were also undefeated for 2 years in midget and most of those players are now at PK.
SACHS has had an unexpected disruption in their season due to my knee surgery (mid-nov) and medical leave while I recover (cannot coach). In my place is a veteran coach Serge Froment whose daughter Brooke plays as a grade 10 (prov u15). In addition, Kenzie Thera, one of the top grade 10's in the province (U15 prov) tore her ACL and is gone for the season. This leaves us short a starter and top defender plus our nut-job coach (me). Abby Morrison our PG (U16 prov) will have more responsibilities to score and distribute and Sarah Dedrick needs to be a presence inside. Not sure where we will end up but we'll take our lumps early as the team adjusts and I help Serge put pieces together.
Scona will cause people problems with their physical play - they are big and strong with a new coach (former Ainley Jr. Boys coach Fraser Holt). Maddi Chamberlain is their key player and she can provide ball pressure and scoring. They will make you pay inside and substitute a multitude of big bodies.
Bev Facey has a new coach, formerly a senior boys coach from Sal and a nice, solid player in Mackenzie Farmer (u16 prov). Without seeing them play this year, I know they graduated key players.
ABJ has their 6'4 post and some supporting players but not sure they crack the top 5 in our league.
Harry Ainley has a new coach in Jenelle Monty (she helped at SACHS the last couple years) and she is looking to rebuild this program into a powerhouse. Growing pains will be there for sure as this is 3rd coach in 3 years but Jenelle is a Rob Poole coached player (GMAC) and knows what it takes, so while this year may be a struggle, they will be better by years end without a doubt.
Archbishop MacDonald has moved up to Tier 1 and has some solid size and quick guards. This will be a learning experience for them in facing better teams every night vs playing in Tier 2 where they dominated the last few years. If teams are not prepared for them, they will surprise people for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:05 am

LCI is best team in south. JP is the most talented team in Edmonton, and the province .  They may be the deepest Alberta high school bball team I have ever seen. Players 6-10 on their depth chart would start on virtually any other team in the province. Sydney Fedick may be the most talented grade 11  #5 in the province and she comes off the bench. JP beat St Francis by 56, Raymond by 46, and LCI by 30 something at REB.  I think LCI is a top 4 team in the province and JP held them to 15 points in 2nd half of their REB championship game.. JP could beat some ACAC teams. Spruce Grove is next best team in Edmonton- they just continue to reload every year and they are still lead by PG Jenna Harpe. They defend the entire length of the floor and Jenna is lethal in transition.  #3-#8 will be a dog-fight in Edmonton and several teams could end up jumping into the provincial conversation. O Leary and Mac may be the dark-horses to watch out for and may challenge the usual contenders of SACCHS and Paul Kane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm

girlballer wrote:
Here are my 2016/2017 predictions for Division 1

#1 - Western
6-7 players coming back, this team is going to be the strongest team in Calgary.  Strong point guards, two girls over 6'0 that are strong players including one who got an invite to the National ID camp.  I agree with Basketball Calgary, it's Western's to lose

#2 - Centennial
Strong Junior team coming up with one of the best Grade 11 players in the province.  A few returnees from last year.  They will be a top team coming out of Calgary and has the best chance to upset Western.  

#3 - Bishop Carroll
A very young team with several Grade 10's & 11's, they will turn some heads.  I have them as 3rd however, their youth and inexperience may have cause some problems as the season progresses.

#4 - St. Francis
It has been confirmed that Brynn is playing up onto the Senior team, she is a game changer and the best Grade 10 in the province.  They have 4-5 players returning from last year's Championship team, however, no starters are returning. They match up well against Centennial so it would be no surprise if they end up in the top 3.

#5 - St. Mary's
I know they aren't ranked high in the Calgary Classic tournament but they have injuries currently.  When they are healthy in the new year they might be able to make a run to crack the top 4

#6 - Aberhart
Aberhart always competes every year - returning with a younger team, I think they are still in a rebuilding phase but may upset #3, #4 or #5 if they play well

#7 - Ernest Manning
Strong junior team in Division 2 last year, they also don't have a lot of Grade 12's to help them transition into Division 1.  They will compete but don't expect any major upsets with this team

#8-#11 - Churchill, Grandin, Scarlett, BOB
These 4 teams are in a rebuild stage and drop off from the top 7.  They will all battle out for the final play-off spot but I can't see them beating any of the teams in the top 7

End result:

1. Western: Strong and deep, the season basically went as expected. Will have a challenge against JP/LCI/PK in provincials.
2. Centennial: Big. Young. Aggressive. Could beat Western in city finals.
3. Aberhart: Good shooting team, underrated.
4. Carroll: Young, better season than I was expecting, watch out for them next year.
5. Francis: Disappointing. Injuries took their toll, but the team seemed to fade this year. Will be young & fast next year.
6. Mary's: Injuries were rough. Stronger than record shows.
7. Scarlett: Not in the caliber of the top 6.
8. Grandin: What happened to Grandin? Good coaches, decent program... Where are their players going?
9/10/11: BoB, Manning, Churchill: Next year?

Should see a Western/Centennial final. Toss up. Carroll should beat Abe in the 3rd place game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sr. Girls    

Back to top Go down

Sr. Girls
Page 1 of 1