HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

South league changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bball99

PostSubject: South league changes   Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 pm

Does the south league have any membership guidelines for boys teams? It seems like the bottom two teams should maybe be in another league. The scores seem to be very one sided year after year. Or maybe the league should be split into a A and B division. Has this ever been discussed? Are there any other south teams outside the league currently that would be a fit? W.R Myers back in perhaps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:49 pm

league rules is 8 teams in playoffs Lethbridge school board wants all the city teams in the same league and most of the rest of the league would just as soon keep 8 teams in league as league are cheap make money and tournament cost money and a lot of the league does not want to add teams as any teams they could add in league would make the quality of the league go down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bball99

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks, that all makes sense. I guess "quality of the league" is what I am getting at. It seems like the league would really benefit from two divisions. How fun is it to be a player from Winston or Chinook right now?? You have a whole season of large double digit blow outs to look forward too. Most likely the only wins those two teams will see in league action will be when they play each other. (An upset here if there may happen but will be far from the norm) In my mind, bringing in another team or two that could fill out the bottom five, then going with two divisions makes a lot of sense. It could be set up where the first few games are used to seed the teams in either division. This would be good for the sport all around. The top teams would have competitive games all year, the bottom teams would also have a chance of winning more than just a game or two. There could be movement flexibility that accommodates up years and down years for each program. I am sure an eight team 4a zone final could still be arranged to keep the traditionalists happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:48 pm

The south zone gets 2 4A provincial spots each year. 1 zone champion spot and 1 wildcard spot. The only true 4A teams are Chinook, Catholic Central and Medicine Hat. LCI, Cardston, Winston Churchill are 3A. Raymond and Magrath are 2A. In order to have a south zone championship worth anything, we need 8. If 2 teams go off to play 2A and 3 teams go off and play 3A, 4A will only get 1 spot and we'll be like Central or south Central where their zone playoffs are 1 game. It will decrease the level of ball in the south zone by splitting up.

Teams had the option of playing 3A if there were more than 8. WR Myers were forced up when WC hosted and they decided the Medicine Hat 3A league was a better fit. Kianai was getting hammered and went to the 1A/2A league. That's the option if you don't want to play in the 4A league. If everyone does it, we're down to 1 4A provincial berth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bball99

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:59 pm

I am advocating adding a couple more teams and ten splitting into a A and B division for league play. That in now way has to eliminate 8 teams declaring 4A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:32 pm

In the scheme of Calgary Basketball, how competitive is Chestermere High School? They won the 3A championship last year right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:31 pm

That's a good idea. Bring back WR Myers and get someone else who might be interested in playing in a B pool. Split into 2 divisions. Play a home and home with teams in same pool plus 1 game vs the other division so a total of 13 games. Then the 2 3A teams can go play 3A in zones and we still have an 8 team zone playoff. Having a B division might attract more teams that don't want to play the power house teams all year long.

How do you determine the divisions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:37 pm

[quote="ForceHimLeft"]In the scheme of Calgary Basketball, how competitive is Chestermere High School? They won the 3A championship last year right?[/quote]

Chestermere is in the South Central zone not South. They are now 4A but I don't think they would be competitive in 3A this year. Foothills should come out of the South Central zone one more ahead of Holy Trinity Academy for provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Was this division idea not what was happening prior to the Kainai and myers exit? everyone played everyone one time, then the top half of the league played eachother a second time, and the bottom half of the league played eachother a second time. So, lower level teams might would only have to plan the top teams once in a season. This was just fine until Myers and Kainai left due to not being able to declare to a lower level. I'm not sure about Kainai, but I bet Myers would come back to south league if they were allowed to declare 3A come playoff time. Seems to work just fine on the girls end, not sure why it can't on the boys side.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MrBasketballs

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Myers needs back in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:07 pm

12321 wrote:
ForceHimLeft wrote:
In the scheme of Calgary Basketball, how competitive is Chestermere High School? They won the 3A championship last year right?

Chestermere is in the South Central zone not South. They are now 4A but I don't think they would be competitive in 3A this year. Foothills should come out of the South Central zone one more ahead of Holy Trinity Academy for provincials.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't 4A high caliber basketball than 3A? Wondering how they moved up but wouldn't be competitive at the lower level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:07 pm

4A is better than 3A but Chestermere is considerably weaker. Pearson beat Chestermere earlier this year by 70. In Calgary it will be Pearson, BOB and McNally looking for a city title.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South league changes   

Back to top Go down

South league changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1