HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

When was the last time.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: When was the last time.....   Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:30 am

a team from FHS was ranked as low as 5th?...not only one high school team...but both boys and girls? (According to NB Hoops) - it's odd seeing both ranked that low...let alone one of them. I don't think I have ever seen that...

I am sure some hooplife members are going through therapy as we speak.... lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I would suggest they go back to the days when the best GM boys would go to FHS to help them out but well . . . I guess Hockey is fun too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 pm

And those are only the AAA teams included in those rankings!!

On the boys side, Fredericton High lost to both Rothesay and Woodstock at the Thunder Valley, so there is an argument to be made the FHS is as low as 8th in the overall province ratings.

Same story on the girls side. Woodstock layed a 20 point beat down on Fredericton in mid December in the Thunder dome. Tonight St. Machs pushes Saint John High to sink a three ball late to salvage a 59-58 win. St. Macs plays Sussex to a 5 point game just before Xmas. SJHS team that beat KV a few weeks ago and KV had a solid win over Fredericton in the Black Lions gym in early January. So as per the boys, strong arguments to be made the the FHS Lady Black Lions are as low as 8th also.

Sorry I always have to get a shot in at the Northside deserters!! You dont leave a program because you think it is going to have a down year!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 am

This past weekend at the potato barrel FHS beat #1 ranked BMHS by 20...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
This past weekend at the potato barrel FHS beat #1 ranked BMHS by 20...

Don't go confusing things with the facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

That is fact
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:33 am

they also list to CN twice that weekend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bystander2017

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:13 am

Having been an interested spectator of this forum for some time I now feel the need to contribute. No doubt that FHS girls have earned the 5th place ranking...they are a young injury riddled team who have yet to put it together this season. Flashes of what they are capable of (re 10 point loss against a Quebec team who would handily beat any team in NB...see 30 point win over KV) have not been sustained. I find it amusing that only the losses are talked about in the race to 8th. Not the wins against Woodstock after the "20 point beat down" and over SJHS.

It is a year where everyone is beatable on any given night (with the possible exception of Sussex)...makes for interesting rankings.

As for the "deserters" as Taylor Swift says "haters will hate". Kids have transferred all over the province for many reasons. Time to get over it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Thank you bystander for triggering some good old fashioned debate in this forum again. In any debate, the winner comes armed with facts and acute belief that the position they hold is correct. So without further ado, let the rebuttal salvo begin.

There is no wow left in the meow!! Just back from watching the FHS girls get another 20+ point January beat down put on them by KVHS in first game of Riverboat. Lets summarize 1) young, 2) slow, 3) with Rhayne gone for the year they have lost their senior leader who willed the other girls to fight in tough situations. Their back has been broken. FHS and MacNaughton play tomorrow to decide 6th and 7th place AAA rankings. St Macs has earned the right to be ahead of these two teams in the rankings.

The reason I mention a 20 point beat down by Woodstock over FHS is that it came in an away gym. The quality of a team is measured by the ability to go into a hostile gym and get a win. Hello!! If you understand NB basketball, you comprehend the meaning of a QUALITY win in a Carleton County gym!!! Squeaking out a win over a team in a similar ranking position in your home gym is expected and not grounds to make a significant move in the rankings. FHS 4 point win over SJHS came in early December on home court. There were a ton of asteriks on the SJHS side that game. (one girl barely back from concussion and not in game shape, a double digit scorer missing and one girl playing on just a few hours sleep after a late flight). Yes, FHS had their inspirational leader down, but she is gone for the year so that can not count as an asterisk any further.

Another fun fact is SJHS basketball program was about two weeks behind the rest of the schools getting going this year. The majority of the girls on the basketball team played field hockey on a the provincial banner winning team and thus the program did not have a basketball practice until a November date appeared in the calendar. And oh yeah those "open" gyms in September and October where all girls interested in playing varsity basketball are highly "encouraged" to attend (wink wink nudge nudge) where the coach only watches (chuckle chuckle) and some other proxy agent does the coaching also did not happen. Ah yes, those November and early December wins give way to the reality of a January and February level playing field.

The Quebec team 30 point win over KV comes with a massive asterik!! Anyone who has a grasp on elite girls basketball in the province would know that Rachel Farwell was missing from KV that weekend and had the honour of attending a Basketball Canada elite identification camp (hello bystander on the sidelines -- this means a shot at playing on a national team) . When a team is missing a 6 foot 1 player that is identified amongst Canada's elite and plays a Quebec team with a 6'3 post player, then the result really is not indicative of KVHS potential team performance. (So I am thinking bystander may want to do a little fact checking or stay on the sideline) There is no girls team in New Brunswick this year that goes any deeper than 6 or 7. Even the Sussex juggernaut has a huge achilles heel. If Reese goes down they are in trouble!! Heck if Lauren or Carli go down they are in trouble. They have three scorers and the rest of the team plays tough defense and understands its role. Riverview, KVHS and SJHS all have the exact same challenge!! If these four teams stay healthy for the next month, there is a pretty good chance that some combination of these four will be the semi-final match ups. (See my St. Macs caveat below-- They are to be feared!! The Kitty Fear Factor has left the building)

There are girls on St. Macs that have gone through 40-50 point trouncing night after night in grade 9 and 10. But they stuck with the program and believed and helped get friends from Saint John middle schools to join them in the program the last few years. In the last month they have pushed Sussex to a 5 point game and SJHS to a 1 point game. To those girls , I say RESPECT!!! Hard work,tenacity and loyalty to their selected program has paid off!! It would have been very easy for these girls to all pile into SJHS for the sole purpose of pursuing a provincial banner. The pursuit of quick W's and trying to short cut a process to sneak in the back door of Harbour Station did not cross their mind.

Next Year St Macs will be playing on sectional weekend!! Heck they may even make it to sectionals this year!! KVHS will be in full blown preparation mode to get ready to play St. Macs in the 2 South vs 3 West (4th in South - St Macs gets this spot since Oromocto does not have a program this year) crossover game in regionals . There is a real chance that KV may not get to the sectional weekend. I have watched a bunch of girls basketball in NB over many years and the St. Macs team is to be feared. (one of three teams in province to have talented size inside that can pass the ball in double team situations and make their team mates scorers by dropping the dime).

The sad part is FHS gets to the second weekend with their 1st place standing in the West this year (or as we in the South like to call it -- we have a heart beat and got out of bed and thus get awarded a first round bye ). Once again a JV quality team out of the North East will get a fourth seed this year in sectionals weekend. To the team that wins the Southwest regional dogfight: congratulation it was worth it, you have a bye to the provincial semi-final.

There are only 12 active AAA girls teams playing in the province this year. Put them all in one league and let them play a 22 game home and away schedule and then seed playoffs from this result. Dont give me crap about travel issues. MVHS is the most travel challenged team and this year they will spend several days in each of Woodstock, Bath, Saint John and KV playing in tournaments that could have just as easily been league games.

As for my closing argument, I love Taylor Swift and she is correct that you should not hate. I was merely pointing out a life learning moment that got away from a couple kids and their parents. As Billy Ocean says: "When the going gets tough, The tough get going". General Patton may have put it more elegantly when he said "Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory". When one kid moves to go play for better program that are a few hours away in large communities ....this makes sense. The kid is making a real sacrifice by leaving their community and friends to play at a larger school against better competition not available in their community (Going from a A or AA to a triple AAA school). For several players to abandon a program that was there for your during your minor years because it is having a tough year or two and make a simple trip across a bridge to play the same competition if you stayed put is a different decision point. Patton would say character players accept the challenge and rise to the occasion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:31 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
Thank you bystander for triggering some good old fashioned debate in this forum again. In any debate, the winner comes armed with facts and acute belief that the position they hold is correct. So without further ado, let the rebuttal salvo begin.

There is no wow left in the meow!!  Just back from watching the FHS girls get another 20+ point January beat down put on them by KVHS in first game of Riverboat. Lets summarize 1) young, 2) slow, 3) with Rhayne gone for the year they have lost their senior leader who  willed the other girls to fight in tough situations.  Their back has been broken. FHS and MacNaughton play tomorrow to decide 6th and 7th place AAA rankings. St Macs has earned the right to be ahead of these two teams in the rankings.

The reason I mention a 20 point beat down by Woodstock over FHS is that it came  in an away gym. The quality of a team is measured by the ability to go into a hostile gym and get a win. Hello!! If you understand NB basketball, you comprehend the meaning of a QUALITY win in a Carleton County gym!!! Squeaking out a win over a team in a similar ranking position in your home gym is expected and not grounds to make a significant move in the rankings. FHS  4 point win over SJHS came in early December on home court. There were a ton of asteriks on the SJHS side that game. (one girl barely back from concussion and not in game shape, a double digit scorer missing and one girl playing on just a few hours sleep after a late flight). Yes, FHS had their inspirational leader down, but she is gone for the year so that can not count as an asterisk any further.

Another fun fact is SJHS basketball program was about two weeks behind the rest of the schools getting going this year.  The  majority of the girls on the basketball team played field hockey on a the provincial banner winning team and thus the program did not have a basketball practice until a November date appeared in the calendar. And oh yeah those "open" gyms in September and October where all girls interested in playing varsity basketball are highly "encouraged" to attend (wink wink nudge nudge)  where the coach only watches (chuckle chuckle) and some other proxy agent does the coaching also did not happen.  Ah yes, those November and early December wins give way to the reality of a January and February level playing field.

The Quebec team 30 point win over KV comes with a massive asterik!!  Anyone who has a grasp on elite girls basketball in the province would know that Rachel Farwell was missing from KV that weekend and had the honour of attending a Basketball Canada elite identification camp (hello bystander on the sidelines -- this means a shot at playing on a national team) . When a team is missing a 6 foot 1 player that is identified amongst Canada's elite and plays a Quebec team with a 6'3 post player, then the result really is not indicative of KVHS potential team performance. (So I am thinking bystander may want to do a little fact checking or stay on the sideline) There is no girls team in New Brunswick this year that goes any deeper than 6 or 7. Even the Sussex juggernaut has a huge achilles heel. If Reese goes down they are in trouble!!  Heck if Lauren or Carli go down they are in trouble. They have three scorers and the rest of the team plays tough defense and understands its role. Riverview, KVHS and SJHS all have the exact same challenge!! If these four teams stay healthy for the next month, there is a pretty good chance that some combination of these four will be the semi-final match ups. (See my St. Macs caveat below-- They are to be feared!! The Kitty Fear Factor has left the building)

There are girls on St. Macs that have gone through 40-50 point trouncing night after night in grade 9 and 10. But they stuck with the program and believed and helped get friends from Saint John middle schools to join them in the program the last few years.  In the last month they have pushed Sussex to a 5 point game and SJHS to a 1 point game. To those girls , I say RESPECT!!! Hard work,tenacity and loyalty to their selected program has paid off!!  It would have been very easy for these girls to all pile into SJHS for the sole purpose of pursuing a provincial banner. The pursuit of  quick W's and trying to short cut a process  to sneak in the back door of Harbour Station did not cross their mind.  

Next Year St Macs will be playing on sectional weekend!! Heck they may even make it to sectionals this year!! KVHS will be in full blown preparation mode to get ready to play St. Macs in the 2 South vs 3 West (4th in South - St Macs gets this spot since Oromocto does not have a program this year) crossover game in regionals . There is a real chance that KV may not get to the sectional weekend. I have watched a bunch of girls basketball in NB over many years  and the St. Macs team is to be feared. (one of three teams in province to have talented size inside that can pass the ball in double team situations and make their team mates scorers by dropping the dime).

The sad part is FHS gets to the second weekend with their 1st place standing in the West this year (or as we in the South like to call it -- we have a heart beat and got out of bed and thus get awarded  a first round bye ). Once again a JV quality team out of the North East will get a fourth seed this year in sectionals weekend. To the team that wins the Southwest regional dogfight: congratulation it was worth it,  you have a bye to the provincial semi-final.

There are only 12 active AAA girls teams playing in the province this year. Put them all in one league and let them play a 22  game home and away schedule and then seed playoffs from this result. Dont give me crap about travel issues. MVHS is the most travel challenged team and this year they will spend several days in each of Woodstock, Bath, Saint John and KV playing in tournaments that could have just as easily been league games.

As for my closing argument, I love Taylor Swift and she is correct that you should not hate. I was merely pointing out a life learning moment that got away from a couple kids and their parents. As Billy Ocean says: "When the going gets tough, The tough get going". General Patton may have put it more elegantly when he said "Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory". When one kid moves to go play for better program that are a few hours away in large communities ....this makes sense. The kid is making a real sacrifice by leaving their community and friends to  play at a larger school against better competition not available in their community (Going from a A or AA to a triple AAA school). For several players to abandon a program that was there for your during your minor years because it is having a tough year or two and make a simple trip across a bridge to  play the same competition if you stayed put is a different decision point. Patton would say character players accept the challenge and rise to the occasion.

Great post. And while I 100% agree with you about players switching schools in the same city, lets not forget (and this is speculation as I am not familiar with these girls) that chances are most LHHS players came up in the YCBC minor program. At least, that is how it is now.

I can go back 5-6 years on the boys side and look at all the current LHHS players who played for YCBC in Mini/Bantam.

Look at this years Mini A team for YCBC as a clear example. Their coach made the jump back from NMBA to YCBC and took all the best NMBA mini players to form what he called an "all star team".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 am

Kids switch schools in cities, kids switch schools in the country. Kids switch schools. It can be frustrating for some opponents, parents fans, and apparently the NBIAA (though despite 3 pages in their handbook about it I don't think anyone ever gets reprimanded).

If a kid in a weaker program at some small rural school wants to get better coaching, competition and gym time at a AA or AAA power that's their call. If a player or players just wants consistent top coaching and their school doesn't value the sport or coaches and they want to change that is on them to. If kids and parents are unhappy with any aspect of a school they are allowed to pull their kid out and send them somewhere else. Get over it.

Harvey is winning boys A, CNHS is winning boys AA, and boys AAA is going to come down to like 4 buzzer beaters over Regionals, Sectionals and Harbour Station.

In girls basketball it will be whoever actually has a girl(s) making shots in games that matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:43 am

Coach.Red wrote:

Great post. And while I 100% agree with you about players switching schools in the same city, lets not forget (and this is speculation as I am not familiar with these girls) that chances are most LHHS players came up in the YCBC minor program. At least, that is how it is now.

I can go back 5-6 years on the boys side and look at all the current LHHS players who played for YCBC in Mini/Bantam.

Look at this years Mini A team for YCBC as a clear example. Their coach made the jump back from NMBA to YCBC and took all the best NMBA mini players to form what he called an "all star team".

The vast majority of players at LHHS played with the MNBA, including the girls that switched to FHS this year. In fact those girls played all their mini/bantam years with the MNBA There are some boys on the JV team that started with YCBC and switched in their last year of bantam to the MNBA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:15 am

CaBBallDad wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:

The vast majority of players at LHHS played with the MNBA, including the girls that switched to FHS this year. In fact those girls played all their mini/bantam years with the MNBA There are some boys on the JV team that started with YCBC and switched in their last year of bantam to the MNBA.

So I guess my point is the problem seems to stem from the minor association for some programs / schools. An example being:

A player I'm familiar with has played for YCBC in grade 4/5. Switches to NMBA for grade 6. Switches back to YCBC for grade 7. I would not be the least bit surprised to see him back at NMBA for grade 8. Here's the kicker, this kid is from Harvey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bystander2017

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 pm

At the risk of triggering another voluminous reply I am curious to get sou by souwest thoughts on the last few days results.  Seems the vaunted southwest teams are experiencing some "beat downs" of their own.  SJHS lost last night to Sussex by ahem 22 points while St Macs lost to KV by 16.  I am sure it will be a planes trains and automobiles explanation as to why.  You may want to also expound on how FHS's losing to Sussex by what was it 6 points?? in the crossover at the Riverboat this weekend was somehow an issue with Sussex and not that maybe just maybe FHS is starting put it together.  Won't even mention the 30 point win over Bernice last night.  The kitten is seeming more cat like all of a sudden.  

Fasten your seatbelts folks...the next few weeks are going to be very interesting with some teams coming back to the pack, some perhaps starting to emerge, and others working hard to maintain status quo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Bystander once again you are hopelessly out of the loop!!

Lets review the facts..

1) FHS plays Sussex to six points in semi-final at Riverboat. Scheduling is a bitch bystander!! Sussex was playing its 3rd game in less than 24 hours!!! FHS played a THursday night game and knew they were out of it and played bench considerably in second half , Friday game against a so so BMHS team who they squeaked by. Sussex played a tough game against SJ High in which they were trailing until late in 3rd quarter Friday afternoon and had to deploy the best squad for the entirety of a physical game. BMHS is not exactly a bruiser of a team!! I think Bulman was the last BMHS player that took a charge!!

2) SJHS loss to KVHS in semi-final -- Scheduling was even more of a bitch. SJHS was playing 3rd game in less than 18 hours. Turns out starting point guard was concussed day before and did not play significant minutes in this game. Leading scorer sprained ankle in MVHS game night before and played with wrapped ankle and was hobbled.

3) Sussex beating SJHS in league play. SJHS is currently a MASH unit. Point guard out concussed, another guard out with separated shoulder , another guard out with sprained ankle. SJHS played with 7 players. Cant run with Sussex rabbits with 2 subs. Exam break is coming at right time.

4) FHS beat down of BMHS. This is a legitimate beat down. Everyone agrees that BMHS has lost their mojo and is dropping to bottom of top 10. Against a team with no height and so so speed, FHS looks good. As we will see the weekend of Feb. 3rd at Dairy Town , against a rested Sussex they are chum!! I believe they get to play SJHS the afternoon of first day of Dairy Town and then turn around and play a rested Sussex in the evening. So a tired FHS versus a rested Sonics team in front of an energized home gym!!! Hmmmm, bystander, can you hear that? The Sonic Boom is the sound of a bunch of grade 10 FHS Black Lions imploding on themselves in a pressurized environment.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Did you hear the Sonic Boom bystander? It is a bitch when you have to play two games back to back in a tournament against two quality teams!!! Black Lions are not not a prime time team this year. The MASH squad of SJHS took them down playing with 7 girls and then Sussex put an old fashion beat down on them. Understanding the context of the game is important to put things in perspective. Black Lions play Sussex to 6 at Riverboat needed to be framed in the context of Sussex playing three times in less than 24 hours and not a function of Black Lions surging ahead with significant improvement.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
Did you hear the Sonic Boom bystander? It is a bitch when you have to play two games back to back in a tournament against two quality teams!!! Black Lions are not not a prime time team this year. The MASH squad of SJHS took them down playing with 7 girls and then Sussex put an old fashion beat down on them. Understanding the context of the game is important to put things in perspective. Black Lions play Sussex to 6 at Riverboat needed to be framed in the context of Sussex playing three times in less than 24 hours and not a function of Black Lions surging ahead with significant improvement.

Who are the Black Lions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
East Coast Basketball

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:

Hi Mr Stewart, as a grown man it is very unfortunate you feel the need to constantly criticize a group of grade 10 and 11 girls in order to feel accomplished. I am sure you are very excited that the "black lions" (keep pushing that joke until someone laughs) lost last night to SJHS and you definitely approve of their bad schedule!!! it is obvious just how enjoyable it is for you to write your extremely biased opinions on an anonymous platform. In the future, perhaps realize you are talking about 15 year olds who are simple trying to enjoy the game of basketball. If you haven't noticed, no one else is on here making excuses about their respective teams. Let's try to have some respect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When was the last time.....   

Back to top Go down

When was the last time.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1