HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First rankings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
westwind Bball

PostSubject: First rankings    Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:23 am

Here is my guess at the first rankings
1. Cardston only loss was to Magrath at Magrath home tournament final wild crowd close game beat Magrath at sugar bowl final not much outside South in terms of wins but beat shepp bad and foothills.
2.St fx only loss was to BOB beat Magrath at the BRIT that was a close game best team in Edmonton.
3.Raymond beat McNally and Magrath and LCI lose to Magrath and Cardston beat LCI twice lose to Magrath at Sugar Bowl beat them at Cardston tournament has lost to Cardston 2 times.
4.Bishop McNally beat lester b Person Father Lacombe and LCI lost to Lester b Person and Raymond Maybe most best team in Calgary.
5. Bishop Obyrne Beat ST FX lost to McNally (3 times) and in weaker division in Calgary
6. Magarth beat Cardston and Raymond shepp not sure what that is worth though and Ainley lost to Cardston Raymond and ST FX all close games
7. Lester B person wins against McNally(2) and Father Lacombe lost to McNally Father, Lacombe and St Mary's
8. Harry Ainley seem to be second best in edmonton not much of note yet hard to tell with edmonton only lose is to Magarth.
9. Sir winston Churchill loses to LBP and McNally wins against LCI, med hat, Father Lacombe
10. med hat over LCI based on the head to head win
honestly everything after 7 is tough to figure out anybody have any other input.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

bishop o'byrne lost to mcnally twice only
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:37 pm

And I don't know about st fx since they really haven't played much competition besides bob and Magrath
but personally the Bishop o'byrne tournament is coming up in about 2 weeks and it wil include teams such as Mcnally pearson cardston med hat and bob aswell so that should clear things up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:24 pm

First Rankings

1. Cardston
2. Bishop McNally
3. STFX
4. Magrath
5. Lester B Pearson
T6. BOB
T6. Raymond
8. Churchill (Calgs)
9. Ainlay
10. Med Hat

HM Lillian Osborne
HM Fr. Lacombe
HM LCI
HM Holy Trinity (Edm)
HM Bev Facey

It should be noted that these rankings were composed on Friday so the losses Magrath took this weekend in league to Raymond and Med Hat aren't considered part of the 1st ranking period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Ya, I like the #1 and #2 spots. I would have STFX down in the 6 or 7 and Pearson should be up in the #3 spot. Raymond and BOB could be #4 and #5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:29 pm

How many of these top ten teams are at BOB next week? That'll be a strong tourney. You kind of wonder that whoever comes out on top their might be making a strong case to be at #1 come next ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:27 pm

cardston,med hat,pearson,mcnally
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:33 pm

and bob as its their tournament
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 am

cardston loses first round of bobcat bowl to pearson 82-90 pearson's arguably best player did not even play but yet they won.

BOB over Med Hat by 18 in first semi final

Mcnally vs Pearson will play in second semi final tomorrow morning and winner will go on and play BOB in the final
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr403

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Cardston definitely shouldn't be in the top 5
After what they showcased this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:36 am

Mcnally over BOB in a very close final game 100-97

while medicine hat beats pearson in third place game

at the marys tournement st fx lost to marys in the finals

after this weekend I think the clear 1 and 2 in the province is Mcnally at number 1 and BOB at 2 Mcnally is dominating everyone while BOB only problem in the province seems to be mcnally everytime they play its a close game. St fx is 3rd place in my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I know that Cardston crapped the bed at the OB tournament but I still think one of the deep South teams will be there at the end of the year. {|Magrath,Raymond or Cardston} Pearson played poorly but i heard they did not have all their players available. With St. FX losing to the 5th or 6th best Calgary team I would think they need to drop in the rankings and how bad is Edmonton this year??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Aball wrote:
I know that Cardston crapped the bed at the OB tournament but I still think one of the deep South teams will be there at the end of the year. {|Magrath,Raymond or Cardston} Pearson played poorly but i heard they did not have all their players available. With St. FX losing to the 5th or 6th best Calgary team I would think they need to drop in the rankings and how bad is Edmonton this year??

Edmonton is weaker this year: Ainlay only has a couple of grade 12s and therefore is not the powerhouse it has been in previous years (they also do not have a superstar (i.e Aher Uguak or Awok Piom) like they have had for last 3 years), and Shep literally lost one third of its team after issues during the Sugar-Bowl so they are not even in the conversation anymore , despite having the potential at the start of the season to be top 2 in Edmonton...So Edmonton is weaker than normal.... Having said that, I was still surprised that FX lost to St. Marys...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Was at the St. Marys/STFX game - STFX looks very good (and very deep) but didn't manage their lead very well continuing to bomb away from long distance (they were hot early!) and went cold down the stretch. Mary's a scrappy team that took McNally to the final buzzer last week in league play and beat Pearson at the St Francis tourney before Christmas. Best players are a couple of grade 11s but one of their grade 12 guards went off in the last couple minutes with a couple 3s and a couple nice drives. STFX played their whole bench throughout while Mary's only went 8 deep so that may have been a factor in the result but a very entertaining game!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:59 pm

O'Leary Spartan Showdown Results: (that I know of)

First Round:

O'Leary 94 North Battleford 71 (Saskatchewan)
St. FX 89 Walter Murray 50 (Saskatchewan)
Holy Trinity (EDM) 64 Medicine Hat 103
Catholic Central 68 Marion Graham 84 (Saskatchewan)

Unsure of Consolation side unfortunately.

Second Round (Quarter Finals):

O'Leary 104 John Taylor 95 (Manitoba)
St. FX 78 Lester B. Pearson 47
Father Lacombe 59 Medicine Hat 99
Marion Graham 62 (Saskatchewan) Bishop McNally 98

Third Round (Semi Finals):

O'Leary 72 St. FX 109
Medicine Hat 71 Bishop McNally 81

Third Place:

O'Leary 65 Medicine Hat 89

Finals:

St. FX 71 Bishop McNally 66

Harry Ainlay Tri Prov:

First Round:

Fort Richmond 81 (Manitoba) Ross Sheppard 80
Cardston 96 St. Francis 67 (YYC)
LCI 90 Holy Cross 69 (Saskatchewan)
Ernest Manning 73 Harry Ainlay 112

Consolation Quarter Finals:

Ross Sheppard 73 St. Francis 83 (YYC)
Holy Cross 71 (Saskatchewan) Ernest Manning 53

Second Round:

Fort Richmond 70 (Manitoba) Cardston 99
LCI 98 Harry Ainlay 113

7th Place:

Ross Sheppard 91 Ernest Manning 66

Consolation Finals:

Holy Cross 86 (Saskatchewan) St. Francis 73 (YYC)

3rd Place:

Fort Richmond 70 (Manitoba) LCI 82

Finals:

Cardston 97 Harry Ainlay 102

Other Tournaments:

LIT (Luther College) Finals
Raymond 105 Sisler 108 (Manitoba) (3rd Ranked in Manitoba)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BankShot

PostSubject: Tri-Prov   Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 am

From the Tri-Prov Tournament, the Fort Richmond Centurions are ranked #5 in Manitoba
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard24

PostSubject: What???   Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I thought Ainlay wasn't very good this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 am

ainlay is alright this year seems to have been picking up the pace. The team that seems to be overated though is cardston as besides the south they seem to be losing to calgary and edmonton teams. Cleary not number 1 in province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I wouldn't say that Cardston is overrated. To say that would be to say that the entire south zone is overrated with 4 in the top 10. Maybe that's the case, guess we'll have to wait and see. It seems that the only south team to have a loss outside of a ranked opponent is Magrath who lost to CCH. Cardston lost to Pearson...it's not unheard of for a number 1 to lose to a number 5. And ya Jasper Place too...I think many teams aren't playing their best ball once they reach the losing side of a tourney. Ya it's an excuse but it is what it is. Especially when it's only the first ranking. In my perspective it just tells me that it may be another difficult year to peg down a true number 1. Looking at the list I'd say Cardston, Mcnally, BOB, Pearson, Ainlay, Raymond, Hat High, and St. FX all could be in the mix down the stretch. Many solid teams this year. I enjoy the parody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:05 am

Im calling it right now. Provincial champions Mcnally BoB or St fx

Bob has only lost to mcnally all year and beat st fx. they seemed to have killed every team they play except for mcnally losing by 2-3 points

St fx has beaten many teams killing all of them as well including beating mcnally but lost to bob

Mcnally has beaten many teams including bob more than once but lost to st fx

So far I have watched 3 teams and all of them seem to be ahead of the competition right now as they are very deep.

Medicine hat and ainlay have started to play well too lately wouldnt be surprised if they upset teams up in their zones.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Shep literally lost one third of its team after issues during the Sugar-Bowl so they are not even in the conversation anymore , despite having the potential at the start of the season to be top 2 in Edmonton...So Edmonton is weaker than normal....  Having said that, I was still surprised that FX lost to St. Marys...[/quote]

What happened to Shep?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

My prediction for this ranking. Admittedly, I know very little of some of these teams so it's definitely a best guess on a few.

1-Bishop Mcnally
2- BOB
3- St. FX
4- Pearson
5 - Ainlay
6- Cardston
7- SWC
8- Raymond
9- Hat High
10- LCI

Magrath drops to HM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Second Rankings:

1. St. Francis Xavier
2. Bishop McNally
3. Bishop O'Byrne
4. Harry Ainlay
5. Cardston
6. Raymond
7. Lester B. Pearson
8. Sir Winston Churchill
9. Medicine Hat
10. Magrath

Honourable Mentions:

Lillian OsBorne
Jasper Place
Leduc Comp
LCI
St. Mary's (CGY)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Can anyone comment on Hat High losing to Catholic Central by 30 last night in south league play? Is CCH much better than we thought? just a bad night for Hat High? I don't think CCH is a bad team at all, but was surprised to see that score...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southzone

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Med hat without their best player last night
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First rankings    

Back to top Go down

First rankings
Page 1 of 1