HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Varsity 2018

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
threepointmachine1

PostSubject: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Looking ahead to next year, who does evry one think will be the top teams in AAA, AA, and A?

I think BMHS will have a strong team many returning guys, same with Fredericton, Leo Hayes will be strong again. Carleton North will be strong I am sure. Harvey will be losing Curtis and Drummond, while MVHS will lose Watters and Vickers...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:42 pm

WHS and Rothesay will be the class of AA, WHS beat CN by 40 every game the last 2 years in JV and Rothesay has Baker and Ken Daley both back, that will be quite the front court
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:54 pm

40 points? haha plz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Ok...30...? That better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Ok...30...? That better?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

1,19 & 25?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachY

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 pm

For boys, as usual, Leo (well coached) and FHS (only losing 3 grade 12's) will definitely be strong. Octavius, Dool and Maillet will help BMHS be a contender.

I think KVHS will have a tough season, not too deep of a bench there and losing big players in Corless/Barr. RHS and MHS are sleeper teams, led primarily by Robin and Hofer/Kogler respectively; they could shake some things up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Maybe you should hold on predictions until you find out who is in what divisions next year and what they are called . . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:11 am

The NBIAA is trying to put forth a new tier division. That would see CNHS and WHS go up with the big boys. I am sure it will affect other teams as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:53 pm

baller24 wrote:
The NBIAA is trying to put forth a new tier division.  That would see CNHS and WHS go up with the big boys.  I am sure it will affect other teams as well.

About time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:31 am

Powerball wrote:
baller24 wrote:
The NBIAA is trying to put forth a new tier division.  That would see CNHS and WHS go up with the big boys.  I am sure it will affect other teams as well.

About time

How do you mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:45 am

Birdman33 wrote:
Powerball wrote:
baller24 wrote:

About time

How do you mean?

I mean they compete in a 2-4 team max league every year so it's about time. Winning a AAA title would mean a lot more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: yearly powerhouses   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 am

I think that FHS and LHHS should be put in an interlocking schedule that would force them to endure the hassles like everyone in the NE that have to waste more than a third of their allotted game on mandatory league play. It is not quite the same situation in the South as there are more teams to contend with. For the weaker schools to play schools that are just too skilled just doesnt make sense. It also doesnt make sense for the more skilled schools to waste time playing much weaker opponents. Some how from year to year teams must apply to play at a certain level and then at a predetermined time an evaluation done and then a reconfiguration done to determine where they will play in a one and done provincial tournament. For Example Woodstock and Carlton North should have been entered into the AAA provincial playdowns. L'Odyesse , Harrison Trimble and ESN should have been bumped down to AA. Harvey and FCA should at least make a move to AA . Harvey could almost be moved to AAA. These examples are for the Boys. The same could be said for the girls divisions. This is just a thought and would take a fair amount of planning. Coaches are not stupid and for the most part know where their teams belong at provincial playoff time. No team should get a 1 st round by. Injuries happen .... you just dont know when...everyone should be playing the same amount of games to crown a provincial champ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 am

poolie wrote:
I think that FHS and LHHS  should be put in an interlocking schedule that would force them to endure the hassles like everyone in the NE that have to waste more than a third of their allotted game on mandatory league play. It is not quite the same situation in the South as there are more teams to contend with. For the weaker schools to play schools that are just too skilled just doesnt make sense. It also doesnt make sense for the more  skilled schools to waste time playing much weaker opponents. Some how from year to year teams must apply to play at a certain level and then at a predetermined time an evaluation done and then a reconfiguration done to determine where they will play in  a one and done provincial tournament. For Example Woodstock and Carlton North should have been entered into the AAA provincial playdowns.  L'Odyesse , Harrison Trimble and ESN  should have been bumped down to AA.   Harvey and FCA should at least make a move to AA . Harvey could almost be moved to AAA. These examples are for the Boys.  The same could be said for the girls divisions.  This is just a thought and would take a fair amount of planning. Coaches are not stupid and for the most part know where their teams belong at provincial playoff time. No team should get a 1 st round by. Injuries happen .... you just dont know when...everyone should be playing the same amount of games to crown a provincial champ

So you want the system to create a level playing field rather than expecting coaches/players/communities to be responsible for being competitive?

In your mind if a weak program works their butt off to try to get better good teams shouldn't have to play them? We should just wait on the generosity of the already established programs to be willing to take a chance on "wasting a game" to play these teams so you can prove you should be allowed to play more teams like this? Of course if you do work to get good enough to dominate competition then you should go and play somewhere else because everyone who didn't put that work in shouldn't have to play you now either right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am

No... I am saying year in year out some teams are always competitive and should stay AAA . Certain team enjoy cycles where they are more competitive and other times where they are not that good. In those certain years some teams that are more competitive and should be moved up or down and at a certain part of the season. Yes Woodstock has been dominate for at least 5 years in AA. Would it not challenge them more to play at a higher level? Its not punishment. It is an accomplishment to be moved up to play with the big boys. For the most part playing on a weak team is demoralizing for the weaker team and a joke for the elite team. I am not a soccer fan...I hate soccer but if you look in Europe if you are consistently good you stay up in top tier. If you are one of the bottom guys you move down. It doesnt matter how much practice time you put in for some teams..... due to the players you have available .....you will not have a top tier team. As far as I am concerned if you are within twenty points of a team on average... if injuries happen or a team gets into foul trouble... the weaker team can have a chance. That is why we play the game. But to beat the teams by 40+ that you have your league games against does no one any good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 am

Yes, so the new tier system will look something like this. Schools with over 400 students will compete amongst each other and then at some point be ranked in tier 1 or tier 2. The schools with less than 400 will do the same. Not sure if this is the answer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:32 am

poolie wrote:
No... I am saying year in year out some teams are always competitive and should stay AAA . Certain team enjoy cycles where they are more competitive and other times where they are not that good.   In those certain years some teams that are more competitive and should be moved up or down and at a certain part of the season. Yes Woodstock has been dominate for at least 5 years in AA. Would it not challenge them more to play at a higher level? Its not punishment. It is an accomplishment to be moved up to play with the big boys. For the most part playing on a weak team is demoralizing for the weaker team and a joke for the elite team.  I am not a soccer fan...I hate soccer but if you look in Europe if you are consistently good you stay up in top tier. If you are one of the bottom guys you move down. It doesnt matter how much practice time you put in for some teams..... due to the players you have available .....you will not have a top tier team.  As far as I am concerned if you are within twenty points of a team on average... if injuries happen or a team gets into foul trouble... the weaker team can have a chance.  That is why we play the game. But to beat the teams by 40+ that you have your league games against  does no one any good

I get your point . . .

but if you've got a team that's a good team at one level lets call it A. Above .500 every year and in their good years/cycles they can compete for top 1-3 spots in the tier, but that A has teams that consistently win .750+ of their games and are always top 1-2 year in and year out. That really strong program team should be honored and excited to go become the team you are now in the AA level because its better for them and you to do so? They should go where its harder to compete because then its easier for everyone they leave to compete?

I'm not saying moving up is punishment, but if its not right/fair for teams to have them in their league every year . . .how does making them go become one of those teams in the higher league make it better. It just makes your problem, their problem?

I don't care what level you play at if you want to get better and compete you will overtime be able to do that if you don't you wont. Hartland, Harvey, JCS, GM, Dalhousie have all had runs of boys teams in the last 25 years that could compete with everyone in the province at any level. Some of those teams moved up, some stayed put. If schools and communities sthat small can do what it takes to compete at any level. Everyone can figure out what to do compete at theirs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:52 am

baller24 wrote:
Yes, so the new tier system will look something like this.  Schools with over 400 students will compete amongst each other and then at some point be ranked in tier 1 or tier 2.  The schools with less than 400 will do the same.  Not sure if this is the answer

Same problems new faces. Now Woodstock, Rothesay and Carleton North's of the world end up being good not dominant teams at their new levels. Good enough to get to finals some years, but not competing and winning banners every year.

THey will be thrilled. COngratulations you found a way to make schools that care and work have to care and work more. Except now they are competitive at basketball which they dedicate time to but their other sports programs that were ranging from good to weak in all other sports at AA are now getting kicked every night.

Now top A programs that were struggling to compete with Harvey and were at least battling to be a in game late in the season (FCA, McAdam, etc) with them get buried further behind Sugarloafs, Fundys and the Southern VIcs. They also really like running junior programs at small schools that require their middle school aged players on it to play agaisnt against 16-17 year olds from larger schools too.

Of course there is that "at some point be ranked" . . . thats a solution just looking for problems. Who and how does school X have to play in order to avoid the pool with the traditionally strong schools. Who gets to be the 10th best school in tier 1, while the 11th best is now the best in tier 2?

And your still going to have a 32 game cap right . . . so now you have to play a bunch of mandatory games to determine rankings, then get re-ranked and play mandatory games again. If you are the Harvey boys of this year which tier you would have gotten ranked in under 400 wouldn't of mattered you still beat them by 25+ but just got twice as many sets of mandatory games, not that big schools will have time to play you because they have more mandatory games too.

Changing the alignments or school sizes fixes none of the problems it just changes the face of problem different teams now experiencing what other teams complain about.

Explain to me how in an underdog province is served telling/raising kids: if you are undersized and disadvantaged you shouldn't have to do more, the world will re-align itself to make your life easier. Be bad but feel better about it because we'll make it easier for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:45 pm

If you look at rankings on the new website there are not any teams that are in them that dont belong. Rank them up to 8 which would be considered AAA at the end of year . 3 wins in a row at provs gives you the banner. You would have 8 AA which would be 3 wins for banner. Then you would prob have remaining 24-32 team for A same thing 5 wins give you the banner. If you didnt have enough team to fill the top teams would get a 1st round bye. There are only a small handful of elite team a larger amount of good teams and a abundance of weaker teams. No matter what is proposed there are going to be people that agree and those that will never agree because they always think that they are right. In this case we can agree to disagree
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:33 pm

My entire coaching career we've been a AA school. That being said we have been AA with 3 tiers, and with 2.

My attitude has always been you play who is in front of you. I know that when the top teams (WHS, CNHS, RHS, etc) are in our division our kids know they have to work harder. Whether they do or not is another question lol.

I also know that when the Sugarloaf's and Devon Parks and RNS (or god save hooplife that 1 year Bathurst beat Campo in AA and the internet almost broke) were winning titles in the 2 division years there was a lot of frustration expressed online and in other venues from the traditional A communities and programs.

People also need to keep in mind the years teams like Dalhousie boys and Woodstock girls went AAA when they didn't have to and never won but would have dominated at lower level. GM boys went up 1 year too, finished 2nd and when there core group graduated that year left.

As a coach you want the most committed kids, committed programs and biggest dreams to be meeting and aligning as often as possible.

With parents/member of a community those goals and dreams don't always align with with what is best for development of the kids or game. People like to win, people like to see their kids/community school win which is fine but very different if winning is the goal or winning is the bi-product of being high level. Communities and community coaches aren't always helping run programs so kids can play at the highest possible level, they are often just wanting their kids and their community to enjoy success at the club and school level.

If I got my way you would have 1 league where you could have the top teams in the province could jsut play regardless of size, conference, region, etc. You know you want to play in the tier 1 league and what that schedule and commitment means lets roll. Set up a format where everyone of those teams competes and gets some sort of playoff run and lets go. Everyone else can be put in more traditional looking tiers by size or geography whatever.

As has been mentioned no system is perfect. As a coach I would prefer consistency to constant flux as it is easier to set up programs and expectations if the goal posts only move when we want to move them.

In terms of next year I can only speak for the girls as I'm not as familiar with the boys. Using current divisions:

AAA - FHS and KVHS reload and keep growing. South is competitive again with KV at the top but Sussex and SJHS taking steps backwards and you have St. Mac's in the mix. NE teams get much younger next year except BMHS who was already pretty young so they probably take a big step forward. Some strong JV programs at schools we aren't used to seeing in the mix in the east could cause some noise at varsity next year.

AA - WHS continues to restock and reload. JMH, Rothesay, St. Stephen, Fundy probably make up the next group. SVHS, CNHS take a step back to rebuild with younger talent.

A - JCS still head of the pack. Could realistically compete in AA. Harvey, Caledonia both very good again. GM still has some pieces and in the mix. Rest of A seemed down this year so hard to say what a new year brings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Awesome post DJR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stevens11

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:55 am

1. Fredericton High 2. Moncton High 3. Saint John High 4. Bernice McNaughton 5. Leo Hayes 6. Woodstock High 7. Rothesay High 8. Carleton North 9. LV 10. Riverview
Back to top Go down
View user profile
threepointmachine1

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm

poolie wrote:
If you look at rankings on the new website there are not any teams that are in them that dont belong. Rank them up to 8 which would be considered AAA at the end of year . 3 wins in a row at provs gives you the banner. You would have 8  AA  which would be 3 wins for banner. Then you would prob have remaining 24-32 team for A same thing 5 wins give you the banner. If you didnt have enough team to fill  the top teams would get a 1st round bye. There are only a small handful of elite team  a larger amount of good teams and a abundance of weaker teams. No matter what is proposed there are going to be people that agree and those that will never agree because they always think that they are right. In this case we can agree to disagree

what new website?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Stevens11 wrote:
1. Fredericton High 2. Moncton High 3. Saint John High 4. Bernice McNaughton 5. Leo Hayes 6. Woodstock High 7. Rothesay High 8. Carleton North 9. LV 10. Riverview

What is this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

St stephen fundy and james m hill will not be better than carleton north hahaa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   

Back to top Go down

Top Varsity 2018