HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Varsity 2018

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
poolie

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 pm

St Stephen and fundy will be in tier 2, and Carleton North will be in tier 1 next year. So it wont matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:29 pm

baller24 wrote:
St Stephen and fundy will be in tier 2, and Carleton North will be in tier 1 next year.  So it wont matter.

Believe Proposal is for schools under 400 students 9-12 to be in division 2. So only AA schools that play basketball that meet that criteria I believe: SVHS, Fundy, Sugarloaf, Bonar Law, Salisbury. All other current AA size schools would be in division 1 with AAA sized schools.

Issue would become whether based on record schools like WHS, RHS, CNHS, SSHS would end up in tier 1 of Large School Division or Tier 2 of Large School Division for playoff purposes. So which of those schools would qualify to be in the top tier playoffs for large schools, and which would only qualify for bottom tier status in large school.

So 2 divisions 2 tiers split down the middle of each division based on performance. You play everyone in your division and conference (n,e,s,w) to determine where you rank out.

No idea how they solve problems like conferences with 4 teams vs conferences with 10 teams in terms of how many go where, or if it addresses the fact that SW/NE particularly in DIvision 2 should not have the same numbers of Tier 1 and 2 teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RimRockR2156

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 am

I can see where this might be troubling for some - the prospect of "playing up" in division when you are on the cusp of being at the top of your current tier (hello RHS??), but for the most part I think most athletes would prefer to play at the highest level they can achieve.  The European football model was mentioned - I believe it is a matter of great pride for the lower tier teams to be moved to the Premier league, and vice versa, teams fight hard to avoid "Relegation" to the lower levels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

RimRockR2156 wrote:
I can see where this might be troubling for some - the prospect of "playing up" in division when you are on the cusp of being at the top of your current tier (hello RHS??), but for the most part I think most athletes would prefer to play at the highest level they can achieve.  The European football model was mentioned - I believe it is a matter of great pride for the lower tier teams to be moved to the Premier league, and vice versa, teams fight hard to avoid "Relegation" to the lower levels.

Athletes who are serious athletes (ie. The professionals that you refer to you) definitely would want to play at the highest possible. Don' t think you will find that the majority of parents, communities, and even players primary goals are to play at the highest level. They are competing to play for their schools and communities, to be involved or just because they like to play with their friends. All but eliminating chances to compete and win doesn't appeal to that demogrpahic.

Also the promotion and relegation side of the equation is true. It is a big deal if the promotion or relegation is based on ability and performance. In this case its based on the population in your school and applies to all the sports your school plays regardless of competitive level or interest.

Not sure you are going to build much community support for a SCHOOL sports team whose goal is to keep being in the Tier 1 playoffs for big schools every year. Or to lose enough league games so you get sent to tier 2 playoffs.

Also the promotion and relegation doesn't just impact teams who play up. There are a number of small schools who will be in a similar position to when they played AA, AAA for that 3 year experiment. Now the previously A schools will have a number of AA schools significantly larger now down dominating their sports but again the very best previously A schools will compete to get to play in the top tier playoffs without often being able to get over the edge. Or find ways to lose to teams significantly weaker to avoid the bottom of the tier 1 playoffs. McAdam's, Canterbury's and Blackville's might not like having Fundy's, Southern Vic's and Sugarloaf's in their leagues either.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RimRockR2156

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:40 am

Great points, and I agree with you completely. I should have further expressed my thought. My suggestion that the players would like to play at the highest level possible should have included the caveat - play the highest level they can while being competitive. And likewise, we don't want upper tier schools playing down and dominating lower tier teams either. No one wants the get their rear end handed to them on a weekly basis. Wouldn't be much fun for anyone. Personally, I like the current format, and didn't realize it was not working (??).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.CN.2016

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 pm

AAA. 1. Fredericton High 2. Saint John High 3. Moncton High 4. Bernice McNaughton 5. Leo Hayes High
AA. 1. Woodstock High 2. Rothesay High 3. Carleton North High. 4. Fundy High 5. Tantramar High
A. 1. John Caldwell High 2. FCA 3. Canterbury High 4. Harvey High 5. McAdam High
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:32 am

Coach.CN.2016 wrote:
AAA. 1. Fredericton High 2. Saint John High 3. Moncton High 4. Bernice McNaughton 5. Leo Hayes High
AA. 1. Woodstock High 2. Rothesay High 3. Carleton North High. 4. Fundy High 5. Tantramar High
A. 1. John Caldwell High 2. FCA 3. Canterbury High 4. Harvey High 5. McAdam High

Despite winning JV 2 years ago, I can't see SJHS being #2. They lost Lambert (playing in Ontario?) and Vincente (gone back to HVHS).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 pm

On the girls side I guess none of you saw the playoff and RNS make it to the final 4. I watched a ton of ball last year and that team won with teamwork, heart and defence. The coach played all players and never looked to run up the score on weaker teams . And don't give me the crap about recruiting players - lothey do not recruit for girls basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 am

Saint John High Grey Hounds are a lock to win the AAA Banner! Basketball

With the return of Lambert, the sky is the limit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

ForceHimLeft wrote:
Saint John High Grey Hounds are a lock to win the AAA Banner! Basketball

With the return of Lambert, the sky is the limit!

You ruined the conversation Lefty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018   Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:27 am

Birdman33 wrote:

You ruined the conversation Lefty.

There was not much to ruin Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Varsity 2018