HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

News from the AGM

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

Just starting a thread so everyone can spread the news from the latest AGM, I wasn't there and have only heard a few things, 4 tier system and a couple other things
Back to top Go down
View user profile
f4xi

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 am

Noticed a write up by Peter Corby in the paper today talking about how the NBIAA executive is meeting over the next 30 days to review the playoff formats and change them to having Tier 1 and 2 compnonents in AAA and AA classifications.

I guess for basketball this would change it to a Final 16???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:22 pm

Just read the article, also a motion to allow multiple schools to merge to form a team, if this were put into place there would have to be some VERY strict rules regarding this.

Looks like lots of change is yet again on it's way!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:30 am

The NBIAA executive is meeting as I type this at the district 18 office in Frederictonm to decide about the tiering system. As soon as I hear I'll post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RHCWDBOT

PostSubject: two tier   Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:10 pm

Absolute Garbage...Re-inventing wheel...Should of stayed with three levels...NBIAA has completely screwed this up from the beginning! Give everyone a damn banner and all the schools will be happy! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:50 pm

why did they change it from A, AA, and AAA... that system works fine i'd say..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Hmmmmm....NB Sweet 16 at Harbour Station :-) .... My how times have chamged

not sure if it will be good thing....but until we try it , I guess we'll never know...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Word is that , they are going ahead with the 4 teir playoff thing for basketball next year.(soccer and hockey too )
Apparently you play in your regular conference and then at play-off time you go into a tier system...also means 16 teams at the Harbour Station weekend. 8 games plus 16 practices and a banquet to squeeze in . Could be a scheduling nightmare?
Tiers are as follows

AAA Tier 1
North East West South
MHS FHS KVHS
RHS OHS SJHS
MMHS LHHS SRHS
HVHS
St MACS
Simmonds

AAA Tier 2
North East West South
JMH HTHS WHS Hampton
MVHS BMHS CNSHS Rothesay
BHS Odysee St Stephen
Tantramar
AA Tier 1
North East West South
SSHS BLMHS SVHS FUNDY
DRHS JMA Nackawic
PRHS JCHS
CRHS Hartland
Minto TVHS

AA Tier 2
North East West South
NSER CNHS DPCS GMCS
ECB Bellisle Canterbury Harvey
Blackville Chipman St Mary's MacAdam
Stanley sussex christian RNS
CNBA ? SJDA
Campobello
SdChamplain

Predictions :-)
AAA T1 Boys LHHS Girls RHS
AAA T2 Boys BHS Girls WHS
AA T1 Boys SSHS Girls TVHS
AA T2 Boys MacAdam Girls CRHS

Thoughts Anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halfhobbit

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm

If they go with this Tiering I'd be very surprised if DPCS, Harvey and McAdam all play tier 2, as they are 3 of the top 4 or 5 AA teams in the province.

Wouldn't make sense for them to play tier 2 if they have just as much chance of winning a tier 1 banner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:35 pm

As it was explained to me there is no option to play up or down tiers you simply play in the level designated by your school size.

In this way the word tier may be misleading, but for the at least the 3 years of the pilot you must play in the level designated by your school size.

AND I believe this is all still pending approval from 75% of member schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
halfhobbit

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:42 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
As it was explained to me there is no option to play up or down tiers you simply play in the level designated by your school size.

In this way the word tier may be misleading, but for the at least the 3 years of the pilot you must play in the level designated by your school size.

If that is the case then we'll have blowouts when you really don't want them, in the playoffs. As the 3 teams I mentioned are better then the majority of the Tier 1 schools. Preventing teams from moving up so they can play where they are competitive seems to be a little counter productive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

CRHS is predicted to win AA tier 2 girls. Believe they are Tier 1 but all is irrelevant. RNS will walk away with Tier 2 girls with or without CRHS, and if they are successful in landing a couple of girls they are interested in they will be able to compete with TVHS. Southern Vic # 2? Ryan they were embarassed by RNS twice last year and RNS still have their biggest impact players while SVHS graduate most of theirs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm

I'm not sure who the nbiaa executive think they are...they were given a clear mandate at the agm from almost 100% of the membership and this is what they want to implement?? If a team wants to move up why can't they??? Also word is that if a principal does not vote on this matter it will be put down as a vote against! Moot points anyway...back to three divisions for 2011-2012.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 pm

this is "stupid" for lack of a better word, they keep messing it up more and more, there is gonna be just as many blowouts no matter how they set it up, no need to make it even more confusing, .. why do the schools that could say they "won AA/AAA" if they won have to say "we won AA/AAA teir 2" and in the case of AA odds are the team that wins teir 2 could beat the team that wins teir 1.... Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:25 pm

jballer8 wrote:
this is "stupid" for lack of a better word, they keep messing it up more and more, there is gonna be just as many blowouts no matter how they set it up, no need to make it even more confusing, .. why do the schools that could say they "won AA/AAA" if they won have to say "we won AA/AAA teir 2" and in the case of AA odds are the team that wins teir 2 could beat the team that wins teir 1.... Question

I would agree that this is probably not ideal as it changes very little particularly for the the teams who play tier 1 in each.

Now I will admit that this plan doubles the amount of schools eligible to compete for titles and more motivation and opportunity can't be all bad. I also am willing to bet most of the teams in AAA tier 2 are happier with their lot then they were before.

I don't think there will be just as many blowouts "no matter how you set it up". Though this doesn't reduce the number of blowouts, if anything it increases them. I think a tiering system based on results and capability in each sport rather than arbitrary facts like school size and geography could result in more competitive playoffs across the board. Though that too is fraught with problems.

While I don't think any system is perfect, I think that we do have to be a little more creative in how we can make things work. If we want to change how we operate now, this isn't good enough, and we won't be going back (schools paying thousands of dollars on transport now are not going increase those budgets with more interlocked leagues that used to exist in A-AA-AAA imo) we do need to find something that works for most people.

Oh . . and if I were Sugarloaf high school I wouldn't be shaking in my booties over the tier 2 champs though I think a number of those teams could give them a great game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm

were we finished with the trial period for aa and aaa? shouldn't teams who want to move up to compete be able to? when did corby the gorby become the king of nb? does a lynching start or end with a barbeque? when will the club teams take over so these ill advised leagues? can the reps ever get some input from the real stakeholders before they do the lemming shuffle? so many questions for some that are so unable to answer. corby come online and explain yourself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 pm

while it is easy to blame the nbiaa exec director or the exec committee....i think it is important to remember that it was the membership ( principals , coaches ,AD's ,) that pushed for this change , that directed the exec committee to study how to make it work...etc....this change is here because a lot of schools wanted it here...
To blame the exec director or the exec committee might be a bit in error...this system is here because schools want it here...which might be even a sadder commentary on the state of our high school sports !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salmonking

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm

If this happens, why play in league games, the coaches then should be allowed to pick there own games, doesn't make sense for example Sugarloaf to play in conference with teams they will not see come playoffs. it would be a waste of time, travel, money for a team like that to play ECB, NSER, etc.... With this tier system teams should be allowed to move up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

Hmmmm...to get rid of the three tier system - it only needed over 50% - now this proposal needs 75%.....LOL. The consistant NBIAA...gotta love it.
Was the three tier system really that bad?

Cancel basketball and have Poker teams instead. Then Tiers, Divisions etc. do not matter. Size of school doesn't matter, depth doesn't matter. Play against each other online and reduce travel costs.....it just makes sense. We'd see who the best liars are....the NBIAA should have a team - they'd win hands down.

Seriously, just wake me up when the playoffs start.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eddie Vedder

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 am

This tiering system is a complete joke it is only an attempt by Carleton North to give themselves the oppotunity to play for a banner. We have only had the new system in place for 2 seasons. Give it some time, and weren't the AA championships at the atiken centre 3 out of 4 Old single A schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:09 pm

Was just talking to the AD here and she her perception of the discussion so far is that this new system will not pass. Could be wrong of course but that is her feeling.
Personally I think it is pretty sad how some people/schools try to manipulate the system just to win a banner. I tip my hat to schools like Grand Manan, DRHS and others who when they had the choice of pounding everyone in their category and winning a banner without breaking a sweat or challanging their players and playing up even though it would cost them a banner. They chose to play up.
Just a note Eddie V but only 2 of the teams were old A schools not 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Oops sorry Eddie. You were talking boys and girls this year. I was thinking boys over the past 2 years. My mistake. A little sexist of me I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eddie Vedder

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

my bad I thought Tobique valley was an Old A school, but it is pretty clear that this idea has nothing to do with leveling the playing field for all schools. It is a few schools that are trying to win a banner. IF you know you team is going to struggle then go exhibition, find tournaments to enter against teams of an equal calber or simply take your lumps for a few years, don't re-classify all the schools in NB for the 2nd time in 3-4 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:58 pm

it's not about being in a division where you can win. coaches should meet and set up the teams in divisions where there will be good competition for teams. that's the only way it should go. waste of time to play down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:09 pm

those schools that are trying to win a banner should do it the right way, by starting the kids in kindergarten or grade 1, it takes years of hardwork to build a good highschool team for small schools, lot of coaching and kids buying in,.. small schools need to realize that in order to be sucessful, dont go change the system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News from the AGM   Today at 4:59 pm

Back to top Go down

News from the AGM
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next