HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Third Rankings

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Username

PostSubject: Third Rankings   Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:36 am

1. St. Francis Xavier
2. Bishop McNally
3. Harry Ainlay
4. Bishop O'Byrne
5. Cardston
6. Lester B. Pearson
7. Raymond
8. Medicine Hat
9. Jasper Place
Magrath
Sir Winston Churchill
Catholic Central
Holy Trinity
St. Mary's
Lillian OsBorne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: Third Rankings   Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Girls Rankings:

1 Jasper Place, Edmonton Edmonton Metro
2 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute, Lethbridge South
3 Western Canada, Calgary Calgary
4 Centennial High School, Calgary Calgary
5 Paul Kane High, St. Albert Edmonton Metro
6 Raymond High, Raymond South
7 St. Albert Catholic High, St. Albert Edmonton Metro
8 Bishop Carroll, Calgary Calgary
9 Strathcona High School, Edmonton Edmonton Metro
10 Medicine Hat High, Medicine Hat South
Honorable Mentions
Spruce Grove Composite, Spruce Grove Edmonton Metro
Catholic Central High, Lethbridge South
Chestermere High, Calgary South Central
Foothills Composite, Okotoks South Central
Cardston High, Cardston South

To be honest, the lack of a 4th Calgary team is a little dubious. Aberhart has a strong shooting team, not good enough to challenge the top 5, but they certainly deserve an HM spot. Francis slipped when Brynn M got hurt, but she returned in time for these rankings. Even Mary's might have been good enough to get a HM. The end result - Calgary only gets 3 provincial spots, as Edmonton was awarded 2 wildcards (for a total of 5). I know Kane & JP are super strong, but can we say that St. Albert, Spruce Grove & Strathcona all deserve a spot? Anyone from Edmonton see more of these teams than I have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: Third Rankings   Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:04 pm

oldman wrote:
Girls Rankings:

Honorable Mentions

To be honest, the lack of a 4th Calgary team is a little dubious.  Aberhart has a strong shooting team, not good enough to challenge the top 5, but they certainly deserve an HM spot.  Francis slipped when Brynn M got hurt, but she returned in time for these rankings.  Even Mary's might have been good enough to get a HM. The end result - Calgary only gets 3 provincial spots, as Edmonton was awarded 2 wildcards (for a total of 5).  I know Kane & JP are super strong, but can we say that St. Albert, Spruce Grove & Strathcona all deserve a spot?  Anyone from Edmonton see more of these teams than I have?

Edmonton is stronger that Calgary zone this year. Edmontons 3-5 are better than Calgarys 3-5. Spruce Grove ended up being the #5 seed out of Edmonton and they beat Bishop Carroll (# 3 out of Calgary) at end of February. Paul Kane ended up being #4 seed out of Edmonton and they also beat Bishop Carroll at same tourney at end of February. All 5 teams that made it from Edmonton would beat Aberhart and Francis. St Marys would get pounded by Edmontons top 5... I know that it is not all about individual talent, but if you look at where the majority of the U15 and U17 Team Alberta players are from, it is Edmonton-area.. half of JPs team is Basketball Alberta, Paul Kane has 3 Basketball Alberta Players, St. Albert is loaded with gr 10s from the U15 Basketball Alberta team and their starting point guard is a grade11 U 17 Basketball Alberta player. Spruce Groves starting point guard has been a U17 provincial player for 3 years. Scona does not have the provincial basketball talent that the other Edmonton teams have, but they defend hard and out-works teams. However, other than JP, many teams in the provincial tourney rely heavily on grade 10s and 11s, and in a 1 game scenario, where many teams do not have film on their opponent, experienced players that have big-game experience should make a huge difference--all the more reason to expect JP to win it all this year as they literally did not lose a single player from their #2 finish at last years provincials.. They may be the deepest high school womens team I have ever seen in Alberta. I have seen other teams in other years with similar talent in their top 5, but JP has 10 players that are legitimate starters on virtually any other Alberta team--and the scary thing, is that apparently they have some ridiculously talented gr9s ready to move to them next year.(sisters of current players==coming from Leduc, Sherwood Park, etc)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: Third Rankings   Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 pm

hoopsab wrote:
oldman wrote:
Girls Rankings:

Honorable Mentions

To be honest, the lack of a 4th Calgary team is a little dubious.  Aberhart has a strong shooting team, not good enough to challenge the top 5, but they certainly deserve an HM spot.  Francis slipped when Brynn M got hurt, but she returned in time for these rankings.  Even Mary's might have been good enough to get a HM. The end result - Calgary only gets 3 provincial spots, as Edmonton was awarded 2 wildcards (for a total of 5).  I know Kane & JP are super strong, but can we say that St. Albert, Spruce Grove & Strathcona all deserve a spot?  Anyone from Edmonton see more of these teams than I have?

Edmonton is stronger that Calgary zone this year. Edmontons 3-5 are better than Calgarys 3-5. Spruce Grove ended up being the #5 seed out of Edmonton and they beat Bishop Carroll (# 3 out of Calgary) at end of February. Paul Kane ended up being #4 seed out of Edmonton and they also beat Bishop Carroll at same tourney at end of February. All 5 teams that made it from Edmonton would beat Aberhart and Francis. St Marys would get pounded by Edmontons top 5...  I know that it is not all about individual talent, but if you look at where the majority of the U15 and U17 Team Alberta players are from, it is Edmonton-area.. half of JPs team is Basketball Alberta, Paul Kane has 3 Basketball Alberta Players, St. Albert is loaded with gr 10s from the U15 Basketball Alberta team and their starting point guard is a grade11  U 17 Basketball Alberta player. Spruce Groves starting point guard has been a U17 provincial player for 3 years. Scona does not have the provincial basketball talent that the other Edmonton teams have, but they defend hard and out-works teams.  However, other than JP, many teams in the provincial tourney rely heavily on grade 10s and 11s, and in a 1 game scenario, where many teams do not have film on their opponent, experienced players that have big-game experience should make a huge difference--all the more reason to expect JP to win it all this year as they literally did not lose a single player from their #2 finish at last years provincials.. They may be the deepest high school womens team I have ever seen in Alberta. I have seen other teams in other years with similar talent in their top 5, but JP has 10 players that are legitimate starters on virtually any other Alberta team--and the scary thing, is that apparently they have some ridiculously talented gr9s ready to move to them next year.(sisters of current players==coming from Leduc, Sherwood Park, etc)

Fair enough. I figured Edmonton was stronger this year, but I haven't seen Strathcona, and I only saw St. Albert in a sloppy game. I agree that JP's team this year is special; best one we'll see in a while. I still think Abe & Francis deserved a HM in the final ranking, but I get that Calgary was weak this year.

That said, the argument about the Alberta players only holds so much water... Edmonton will always have a higher amount of Alberta players, as the coaches are more often from Edmonton, BA is based in Edmonton, more programs/camps/tryouts are in Edmonton etc... I don't think the South & Calgary have too much to complain about - you have to base the program somewhere, Edmonton ball is well organized, and geography always plays a role in where the players come from. Further, Edmonton has great programs. I would make a better argument by the results of HS provincials and club tournaments rather than the amount of BA players when I determine the strength of an area. With that in mind, this year's crop of Srs appears to be stronger in Edmonton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Third Rankings   

Back to top Go down

Third Rankings
Page 1 of 1