HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
No one

PostSubject: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:34 am

High School Ball is almost here!

In Calgary, it looks like there is no clear cut favourite this year and there will be a lot of strong teams! I believe that any of the 6 teams below can win on any given night!

BOB - Very strong Gr. 11 core: Lightening quick PG, SG can shoot the lights out, two dynamic scoring wings
Mary's - Very deep team at all positions, strong Gr. 11s (dynamic guards) coupled with solid Gr. 12s (great big, very solid wing and possibly a dynamic scoring PG/SG)
Western - Best PG in Calgary along with a solid all around team (Great Shooters)
Lacombe - On paper, should be the best team in my opinion, great length, athleticism and talent at all positions, arguably the best player in Calgary
SWC - Returning most of their team from last year I believe, great size/athleticism in the front court
McNally - Solid guards (Gr. 11 and 12) but I feel they won't be a top contender this year. However, McNally will probably prove me wrong and perform at a high level as usually!

Although I think Lacombe has the most talent, I have a feeling Western is going to surprise this year!

Any other teams to look out for or thoughts? Feel free to disagree also! I grew up watching/coaching a lot of these kids so I'm super excited to watch this season!

How is Edmonton and the South looking this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 am

Crescent Heights should be able to make some noise as well in calgary. Maybe not put together an extremely strong season, but will upset and beat a couple teams they aren’t suppose to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: South   Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm

I think the south will be quite a competitive league again this year. Magrath will be defending their zone title and have a lot of strength back from that team from what I know. LCI should be decent again, Cardston lost Russell but still have a nice core of players moving up. Raymond should compete as they always do. Hat High should be in the mix as well. The usual chinook and winston will round out the bottom...CCH might be there too. Expect a tough league though however it breaks down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 pm

No one wrote:

In Calgary, it looks like there is no clear cut favourite this year and there will be a lot of strong teams! I believe that any of the 6 teams below can win on any given night!

BOB - Very strong Gr. 11 core: Lightening quick PG, SG can shoot the lights out, two dynamic scoring wings
Mary's - Very deep team at all positions, strong Gr. 11s (dynamic guards) coupled with solid Gr. 12s (great big, very solid wing and possibly a dynamic scoring PG/SG)
Western - Best PG in Calgary along with a solid all around team (Great Shooters)
Lacombe - On paper, should be the best team in my opinion, great length, athleticism and talent at all positions, arguably the best player in Calgary
SWC - Returning most of their team from last year I believe, great size/athleticism in the front court
McNally - Solid guards (Gr. 11 and 12) but I feel they won't be a top contender this year. However, McNally will probably prove me wrong and perform at a high level as usually!

Although I think Lacombe has the most talent, I have a feeling Western is going to surprise this year!

Any other teams to look out for or thoughts? Feel free to disagree also! I grew up watching/coaching a lot of these kids so I'm super excited to watch this season!

Edmonton is Harry Ainlays to lose. They only graduated 2 players ( relatively low-impact guards ) and they lost a decent player to a transfer this year (Kade P.). They return provincial U17 players in Sabry P, and Brandon M, and they are going to be very deep in positions 1-4. The only potential weakness I see in their line-up is a lack of a solid big man-- but they will probably run their 5 out offence and their #5 man will be an excellent shooter and player. Ainlay will run and shoot opponents into the ground. If their 3s are falling, they will be very tough to beat by an Albertan team. If they have a sub-par shooting game and they run into a team with some talented size, they could have issues. I dont think anyone else in Edmonton will be able to match up with Ainlay this year talent-wise--Shep probably will have the athletes to compete, I am just not sure they are talented enough. The REB tourney in Edmonton will feature JP, O Leary, Ainlay, LCI, Father Lacombe, BOB, St Marys as well as 2 american teams and 2 Ontario teams--the results of that tourney will be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Its too bad ASAA locked up the website game scores as it makes it harder for non-rankers to find out what's going on in the province. Makes this site more important if we can get straight information without the self induced hype. Unfortunately if it looks like a duck.

I'd like to hear some names. Good information for HA. What about the rest. "Lacombe has best player in Calgary". Name? "Western has best pg in Calgary" Who is it? Key players for BOB, St Mary's, Western, Lacombe, SWC?

Felt a bit isolated from the rest of the province in the south last year. Hoping to change that this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
No one

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 am

12321 wrote:
I'd like to hear some names. Good information for HA. What about the rest. "Lacombe has best player in Calgary". Name? "Western has best pg in Calgary" Who is it? Key players for BOB, St Mary's, Western, Lacombe, SWC?

No worries, I'll try my best! This is purely my opinion by the way!

BOB - Grade 11s - PG (Alonzo T.), SG (Nate P.), Wings (Holt T. and Brandon M.) Although Brandon may no longer be in Calgary.
Mary's - Grade 11 Guard (Ijah N.) coupled with Grade 12 Big (Mush P.), Guard (Nikolay A.), Wing (Alex W.)
Western - Best PG in Calgary (Eliada E.)
Lacombe - Arguably the best player in Calgary (Manyang T.)
SWC - Not entirely familiar with their team
McNally - Grade 12 Guards (Aaron F. and Brieke D.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 pm

St. Francis Xavier of Edmonton looks to be contenders again this upcoming season. May not have the firepower they had last season with several of their players graduating including Geoffrey James and Liam Harrison but will still look to be a team not to be slept on. Their junior team was around top 3 in Edmonton last season with probably half of their roster in grade 11. Their senior team will look to be loaded with young grade 12s which will include a strong piece in David Wieczorek. David played his grade 10 year for Harry Ainlay on their junior team and then transferred over to Kelowna secondary in BC for their senior team for his grade 11 year for which he also won several All Star/MVP awards at some tournaments they have attended. The Mike Dea Classic which will run from Nov 30 - Dec 2 will be attended by the following teams (boys side):

1. Archbishop O’Leary (Edmonton, AB)
2. Bert Church (Airdrie, AB)
3. Bellerose (St. Albert, AB)
4. Crescent Heights (Calgary, AB)
5. Ernest Manning (Calgary, AB)
6.. Holy Trinity (Edmonton, AB)
7. LeBoldus (Regina, SK)
8. Leduc (Leduc, AB)
9. Lloydminster (Lloydminster, AB)
10. Luther (Regina, SK)
11. Regina Christian (Regina, SK)
12. St. Francis Xavier (Edmonton, AB)
13. St. Joseph (Saskatoon, SK)
14. Strathcona (Edmonton, AB)
15. William Aberhart (Calgary, AB)
16. Winston Churchill (Lethbridge, AB)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:35 pm

Archbishop O’Leary could also look to make some noise as they’ve only graduated one player and return basically their entire team from last season. Unless they got some taller inside presence then they too may struggle against some teams with talented bigs. Jasper Place could be potential contenders as they still have a decent amount returning especially with Ben. They do have a new head coach running the senior men’s team from what I’ve heard so coaching could be a major factor in JP’s upcoming season. I would expect Magrath to win the south again as they return a majority of their team as well and they look to be stronger, if not stronger than their team last season since most of their players will be in grade 12. Calgary seems to always be the one league where no one is sure who is expected to dominate as most teams tend to beat each other on any given night so I cant say who I would expect to take Calgary but given the information provided I don’t expect a lot of blowouts this upcoming season in Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 am

I've got Magrath taking the South this year. Nice group returning and well coached. I think Cardston and LCI will fight for that second seed. With Calgary taking the last two provincial titles you would assume that they should be favored to win again but I don't think that is the case. BOB and Marys should have the best talent moving up from junior and should be considered favorites but young usually means stupid and we will wait to see. I also like Churchill as they do have 8-10 seniors returning from a team that went deep at provincials last year. In Edmonton I agree that its Ainlay's to lose as they definitely have the most talent but I also like Xavier. My gut tells me that Edmonton is the power conference this year but let's wait and see some early tournament results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

Mike Dea (November 30 - December 2):

St. Francis Xavier
vs.
Bert Church

Lloydminster
vs.
Crescent Heights (Calgary)

LeBoldus (Regina, Sask)
vs.
Holy Trinity (Edmonton)

Bellerose
vs.
William Aberhart

St. Joseph (Saskatoon, Sask)
vs.
Winston Churchill (Lethbridge)

Leduc
vs.
Ernest Manning

Regina Christian (Regina, Sask)
vs.
Strathcona

Luther (Regina, Sask)
vs.
Archbishop O'Leary

District 4 (November 30 - December 2):

Father Lacombe
vs.
Canmore (Canmore, AB)

Western Canada
vs.
Medicine Hat

Lester B. Pearson
vs.
Chestermere

Jasper Place
vs.
Sir Winston Churchill

Forest Lawn
vs.
Foothills Composite

St. Mary's
vs.
Lethbridge Collegiate Institute

Bishop McNally
vs.
Centennial

Sturgeon Composite
vs.
Catholic Central

Cougar Classic (Cardston) (December 8 - December 9):

Catholic Central
vs.
Magrath

Holy Cross (Saskatoon, Sask?)
vs.
Raymond

Foothills Composite
vs.

Mount Baker (British Columbia)
vs.
Cardston

Zenith Invitational (Magrath) (December 15 - December 16):

Bev Facey
vs.
Ernest Manning

Magrath
vs.
Dr. EP Scarlett

Catholic Central
vs.
Camrose (Camrose, AB)

Raymond
vs.
Lillian Osborne

REB Invitational (December 14 - December 16) (Teams only):

Jasper Place
Archbishop O'Leary
Harry Ainlay
Bishop O'Byrne
Father Lacombe
St. Mary's
Centennial
Clarence Fulton (Vernon, BC)
Kelowna (Kelowna, BC)
St. Benedict Catholic (Cambridge, ON) (REB 2016 Champs)
JW North (Riverside, California, USA)
Mount Vernon (Mount Vernon, New York, USA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr403

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:26 am

Lacombe could and should win it all don’t see much teams surviving against them.
Grandin is my sleeper team with a solid big in Michael and solid guard play in samuel.
BOB looks to be a solid team don’t see them winning it tho with the lose of Brandon muntu.
St.Marys s has some dogs but should fall short without their best player mush.
McNally looks to be solid and I see them in the finals again this year.
Calgary looks to be a little weaker this year than previous years but the top teams shouldn’t run it too much problems playing teams around the province in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 pm

REB 2017 Draw:

Top:

Jasper Place
vs.
Centennial (Calgary)
Winner will play Mt. Vernon (Mt. Vernon, NY)

Kelowna (Kelowna, BC)
vs.
Bishop O’Byrne

North Park Collegiate (Brantford, ON)
vs.
Clarence Fulton (Vernon, BC)

Bottom:

Archbishop O’Leary
vs.
St. Benedict (Cambridge, ON)

Father Lacombe
vs.
Harry Ainlay

LCI
vs.
St. Mary’s (Calgary)
Winner will play JW North (Riverside, CA)

“Apparent” #1 team in Calgary vs. #1 team in Edmonton (possibly all of AB) should be a very interesting pre-season matchup. Draw looks to be very competitive this year as well. Looks to be Mt. Vernon vs. JW North in the finals but based on Harry Ainlays team I predict they make the Semi Finals vs. JW North where I believe Harry Ainlay could put up a very good fight against them. Obviously I wouldn’t count out JW North based on their track record but this matchup could be a very exciting one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard24

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 am

I predict that Mt. Vernon NY will win The Reb fairly easily
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:57 am

Xavier wins Mike Dea {weaker than normal draw}
Lacombe wins District 4 {home court advantage but tough draw in semis to Churchill}
Cardston wins Cougar Classic {should lose to Magrath but home court}
Magrath wins Zenith Invitational (weak draw}
Mt Vernon wins REB {hope Ainlay competes}
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: south    Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:55 pm

the way I see the south working out and I could be wrong is
1. Magrath how do they handle pressure of being the hunted and losing best defender
2. LCI my guess is John evans wins MVP have talent lose quite a bit
3. Cardston lose almost entire team but have best jv team should be grade 11 heavy
4. med hat lose quite a bit bad jv but enough to still get home game
5. Raymond only one player back from last years team not a starter best group of grade 10 though
6. CCH not much but coach is solid
7. winston churchill maybe they suprise this year just never seem to have players to move up though
8. Chinook good group of grade 10 not enough older talent to do much of anything this year
honestly the south outside of Magrath I don't see as being as good as last year Lci will proable be the same not as strong top to bottom this year as last really don't know how the bottom part of league works out this year after top 3 could make a case for any number of teams good luck to all the teams this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am

No one wrote:

My observations from the D4 (heavy with Calgary teams)

Boys Observations:

What happened to Pearson? They were smoked by SWC in the QF. Anyone at that game?
Speaking of which, SWC looks strong. They finished 3rd, beat Western & Pearson big, and gave Lacombe a tight game in front of a hostile crowd.
Unless they were missing players, CCH, Jasper Place, Med Hat, Centennial & Foothills will not be in the mix for top teams. Mary's results seem disappointing, but I didn't seem them play. Anyone have an idea?
LCI looks good... I don't know how strong Cardston/Raymond/Magrath are, but LCI was impressive.
Awesome that Lacombe took this. They have a strong team, & really had a favourable crowd, but they're looking like one of the favourites in Calgary this year.

Basically, this tournament has Lacombe & SWC looking better, and Western, Mary's & Pearson looking worse. I didn't see Pearson or Mary's play, so I can't comment on why this happened.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I saw the first round Mary's/LCI game - Mary's had the game in their hands on the line with 15 secs left and up 3 but missed and then #5 for LCI (terrific guard that scored inside and out all game long) hit a very deep 3 to tie at the end of regulation. LCI then went off in OT and won by double digits. Mary's still missing their big guy Mush but hoping to have him back soon. I liked what I saw from LCI with #5, then a tall thin kid #9 who knocked down quite a few 3s who they didn't miss inside as they also have an extremely strong post player that owned the boards (#14 I think?). It was a really well played game for a season opener and these two teams get to play again at the JP tournament in a couple weeks.

Mary's will be ok - some super athletic grade 11 guards who are raw but will improve and a couple seniors (Alex W and Nikolay) who are strong. But they need Mush in the middle to be a contender as he is a serious difference maker.

SWC has great guards and an Alberta team big man (Plumy) inside that will be tough to stop. And if you get a chance to watch Lacombe, you should as they are an incredibly athletic group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Yes, picture becoming a little clearer but still too early. Lacombe looked strong but rarely get any better during the year. What you see is what you get for the rest of the year. LCI may be the best of the South and not Magrath but let's wait for a head to head. Xavier wins a weaker Mike Dea so it's hard to say how strong Edmonton will be. Like Ainlay to win the North.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Aball wrote:
Yes, picture becoming a little clearer but still too early. Lacombe looked strong but rarely get any better during the year. What you see is what you get for the rest of the year. LCI may be the best of the South and not Magrath but let's wait for a head to head. Xavier wins a weaker Mike Dea so it's hard to say how strong Edmonton will be. Like Ainlay to win the North.

LCI lost to Magrath in league play last night. Only a 4 point game. 68-64 Magrath. Magrath was up the whole way though from what I saw. It's early, but I guess Magrath wins this round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:26 am

A couple of good games last night between Calgary top teams. Lacombe over McNally by one. OByrne over st. Marys by four. Calgary looks like a five horse race to me. Lacombe, Churchill, McNally, OByrne, and Marys. Stronger in the cowtown that I thought. The South still looks like a two team race to me and as noted above, Magrath now has the slight edge. Edmonton has yet to start league games but I thought Strathcona close loss to Xavier at the Dea was surprising.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Couple of results from the cardston tournament pertaining to the South. Cardston beat LCI and then Magrath. Both close games. All 3 teams will be competitive through the year with each other. So far Cardston has the edge in the south it would appear. I imagine any 3 could be on top by end of year. Raymond looks a bit weaker. Definitely a down year for them from what has been shown so far. It'll be the Magrath, Cardston, LCI show this season in the south.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions   

Back to top Go down

2017-2018 4A Boys Predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1