HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pre Season rankings

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Birdman33

PostSubject: Pre Season rankings   Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:25 am

Does anyone come here anymore?
Anyone want to try their hand at some pre-season rankings? I see NB Hoops has their AAA boys pre season one up already.
http://nbhoops.simplesite.com/430105085
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife1228

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Hard to say how it will all unfold.
My predictions:

1- SJHS - Strong team plus Adam is back
2- FHS - Addition of McCarthy with Min Woo should be interesting.
3- Bernice McNaughton - The grade 10's are now grade 11's
4- Moncton- Kogler and Hofer.
5- Leo Hayes- Lost a bunch but still has good core plus Hemphill
6- Woodstock- Could be higher in this ranking once they play the AAA
7- Rothesay - Same as Woodstock
8- Now I am grasping for teams. In this mix will be:
KVHS
Riverview
Harbour View
Miramichi Valley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm

JV boys teams will be lucky to come within 20 of FHS JV team.

What a joke this grade 11 rule has become. FHS boys teams aren't in need of players, and yet there are going to be 3 grade 9's not getting the chance to play because they want to abuse the grade 11 rule.

Perhaps their Varsity team should suck it up and take the 3 grade 11's to build on their program for next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatFan

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 am

I think that comment is a bit harsh! “Abuse the grade 11 rule”. I think that there has to be more to it.
I think Leo Hayes had three grade 11’s last years, with one player (11) being added within the last month of the season.
How many possible grade 11 player are there at FHS? Then how many would play on the JV team?

But I agree that FHS should be the front runners once again, just like thier Varsity team is.

Who are the Kats closest competition at the JV level?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

KatFan wrote:
I think that comment is a bit harsh! “Abuse the grade 11 rule”. I think that there has to be more to it.
I think Leo Hayes had three grade 11’s last years, with one player (11) being added within the last month of the season.
How many possible grade 11 player are there at FHS? Then how many would play on the JV team?

But I agree that FHS should be the front runners once again, just like thier Varsity team is.

The rule was put into place to help smaller schools put JV teams together, not give a reason for one of the largest high schools in the province to stack their JV team with grade 11's.

My understanding is FHS only graduated 3 from its varsity team last year, and had 6 or 7 grade 11's move up.

There is no competition at the JV level. Most other schools will have their best 10's play up at varsity which will only make the gap larger.

Don't get me wrong, FHS would still probably be the top team without grade 11's. They have a strong group of 10's and a stronger group of 9's move up. A group that other schools could compete with, but adding in 3 kids who are a year older than everyone else is going to tip the scales.

As mentioned before, those kids would be far better off practicing with the varsity team and having to battle for minutes than trounce a bunch of kids who are 2 years younger and physically less developed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FHS JV team had problems filling their schedule against other JV teams, after 1 game no one will want to play them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am

NoFuture wrote:
KatFan wrote:

The rule was put into place to help smaller schools put JV teams together, not give a reason for one of the largest high schools in the province to stack their JV team with grade 11's.

My understanding is FHS only graduated 3 from its varsity team last year, and had 6 or 7 grade 11's move up.

There is no competition at the JV level. Most other schools will have their best 10's play up at varsity which will only make the gap larger.

Don't get me wrong, FHS would still probably be the top team without grade 11's. They have a strong group of 10's and a stronger group of 9's move up. A group that other schools could compete with, but adding in 3 kids who are a year older than everyone else is going to tip the scales.

As mentioned before, those kids would be far better off practicing with the varsity team and having to battle for minutes than trounce a bunch of kids who are 2 years younger and physically less developed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FHS JV team had problems filling their schedule against other JV teams, after 1 game no one will want to play them.

You have a problem with the rule, blame the NBIAA, FHS is doing nothing wrong. They are giving these kids a place to place that they might not have otherwise. At this age we need to keep this kids playing and that is the only thing that is good about this rule.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

CaBBallDad wrote:
NoFuture wrote:
KatFan wrote:

You have a problem with the rule, blame the NBIAA,  FHS is doing nothing wrong. They are giving these kids a place to place that they might not have otherwise.  At this age we need to keep this kids playing and that is the only thing that is good about this rule.

Sorry how exactly are the 3 grade 9's who lost their spot on the JV team to grade 11's going to continue playing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 am

Schools the size of FHS should not need grade 11's to play JV. JV programs would be better off developing 3 grade 9's instead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:03 pm

JV teams are supposed to be developmental teams. That's why they created them in the late 90's to replace the multiple levels of varsity teams winning titles at all levels from the larger schools. THey wanted each school having 1 competitive team and then teams that developed kids at school for that program.

In Maine JV teams do not have playoff or championship if you want that you better make the varsity squad. Hence Varsity and Junior Varsity. Our JV systel though got mashed up with age class & club playoffs all the way up through so parents/schools/ communities wanted them to have something to play for, since they've been playing for championships all along. And shortly after its creation BAM JV provincial championships. The only reason any of us have an opinion on any of this.

75%+ of schools that run JV teams to give players a place to play and develop when they wouldn't have otherwise had a place to do that. While they play in competitive leagues to get games a very small percentage of schools actually have a roster with high level competitive players. The exceptiosn being large schools/deep programs who have a glut of talent and don't have room on varsity (or need them there to be competitive) OR schools who choose to keep all their best young talent on a JUnior Varsity team to win a JV title at the expense of their current varsity program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 am

NoFuture wrote:

Sorry how exactly are the 3 grade 9's who lost their spot on the JV team to grade 11's going to continue playing?

That's part of the problem.

The system worked before this rule was put in place. If a school had an abundance of players they were free to create a Tier 2 or exhibition team. Those teams were able to take players from any grade. Under this rule last year schools didn't so that. It will be interesting to see if schools move back that way now that the number of grade 11 players has been limited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 am

What will be more interesting is come start of season if FHS is the only AAA team to have grade 11's on their JV team.

Why isn't their AD stepping in for this? Why aren't the varsity/JV coaches working out what is best for ALL players, not just the ones that will make them more successful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatFan

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 am

NoFuture wrote:
What will be more interesting is come start of season if FHS is the only AAA team to have grade 11's on their JV team.

Why isn't their AD stepping in for this? Why aren't the varsity/JV coaches working out what is best for ALL players, not just the ones that will make them more successful.

What could an AD do? They are in place to inforce the rule not insert there own will upon the NBIAA. I think it’s upon the NBIAA to place some cavities if required. How ever, I don’t see a JV team using many grade 11, just because it would hurt the varsity program in years to come! Just look no further than Leo Hayes last year, there varsity team was stacked, so the JV team carried 2-3 grade 11 kids. It’s believed that thier Varsity and JV program are going to be down this year. Is this because their JV team took grade 11.

Leo Hayes was favorited in both the Varsity and JV level and the basketball gods made a few alterations along the way with both off those team losing in the final. First the Leo Hayes JV team losing 20+ lead in the 4th, and the Varsity team falling short on the free throw line in Saint John.

I have no issues with grade 11’s playing JV as long as it’s done with a purpose. Those grade 11 should be playing varsity next. Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 am

What if JV was dropped all together and the expectation was that Gr 9s and 10s play minor ball unless they make the school team. With a little culture change, I think that would keep far more kids in the sport. The first flaw I do see in it is players in rural areas where, most likely there wouldn't be enough players to form a midget team, but I'm sure solutions could be found (like traveling to a larger centre which is pretty standard for many sports) for the players that are very passionate. If this was done, it probably wouldn't be a stretch for juvenile teams to be set up in the following years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoFuture

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:30 pm

KatFan wrote:
NoFuture wrote:

What could an AD do? They are in place to inforce the rule not insert there own will upon the NBIAA. I think it’s upon the NBIAA to place some cavities if required. How ever, I don’t see a JV team using many grade 11, just because it would hurt the varsity program in years to come! Just look no further than Leo Hayes last year, there varsity team was stacked, so the JV team carried 2-3 grade 11 kids. It’s believed that thier Varsity and JV program are going to be down this year. Is this because their JV team took grade 11.

Leo Hayes was favorited in both the Varsity and JV level and the basketball gods made a few alterations along the way with both off those team losing in the final. First the Leo Hayes JV team losing 20+ lead in the 4th, and the Varsity team falling short on the free throw line in Saint John.

I have no issues with grade 11’s playing JV as long as it’s done with a purpose. Those grade 11 should be playing varsity next. Just my two cents.

That is what I meant by AD being involved. They should be enforcing at their schools that grade 11's can only be taken if there are not enough players to form a JV team. That is what the rule was originally created for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 am

If you want to fix it eliminate JV championships. Schools that need to offer kids places to play would do that. Kids/parents who wanted to play for something could play minor. As long as you've got a developmental league that has a championship for a school and community tied to it schools/communities are not going to all focus on development.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am

CoveredBridgeTroll wrote:
If you want to fix it eliminate JV championships. Schools that need to offer kids places to play would do that. Kids/parents who wanted to play for something could play minor. As long as you've got a developmental league that has a championship for a school and community tied to it schools/communities are not going to all focus on development.

There would have to be a minor/club system for this age group for that to happen. At this point there is no real midget system during the fall/winter months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoveredBridgeTroll

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 am

CaBBallDad wrote:

There would have to be a minor/club system for this age group for that to happen.  At this point there is no real midget system during the fall/winter months.

Sorry my point wasn't really to kick start a midget league. It was more to have kids involved in sport for developmental purposes and being real about that (a JV league with no playoffs/winner) instead of organizing more competitive leagues for everyone to play in and calling it development.

You know maybe stop offering 3-4 provincial titles and teams for kids who are 12-13 years old to play on, let kids get into their schools/communities and spend time playing and developing their games because they want to and being involved in sport does positive things. Let the high end of their competitive experience be from 15-25 instead of burning them out before they are even done high school.

What do I know though I live under a bridge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 am

CaBBallDad wrote:

There would have to be a minor/club system for this age group for that to happen.  At this point there is no real midget system during the fall/winter months.

Sorry my point wasn't really to kick start a midget league. It was more to have kids involved in sport for developmental purposes and being real about that (a JV league with no playoffs/winner) instead of organizing more competitive leagues for everyone to play in and calling it development.

You know maybe stop offering 3-4 provincial titles and teams for kids who are 12-13 years old to play on, let kids get into their schools/communities and spend time playing and developing their games because they want to and being involved in sport does positive things. Let the high end of their competitive experience be from 15-25 instead of burning them out before they are even done high school.

What do I know though I live under a bridge.

Good points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

As someone who's done the whole school basketball thing at the middle school level, not all schools:

A) Have the coaches who are willing to coach and can do 4:00 games
B) Are willing to have varsity/JV teams
C) Don't have the gym time

I normally had a lot of interest with middle school tryouts but only could take 12 kids. If that is all that is offered at that age group then there are going to be 12-15 other kids not having an opportunity to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
threepointmachine1

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:22 am

[quote="Ballforlife1228"]Hard to say how it will all unfold.
My predictions:

1- SJHS - Strong team plus Adam is back
2- FHS - Addition of McCarthy with Min Woo should be interesting.
3- Bernice McNaughton - The grade 10's are now grade 11's
4- Moncton- Kogler and Hofer.
5- Leo Hayes- Lost a bunch but still has good core plus Hemphill
6- Woodstock- Could be higher in this ranking once they play the AAA
7- Rothesay - Same as Woodstock
8- Now I am grasping for teams. In this mix will be:
    KVHS
    Riverview
    Harbour View
    Miramichi Valley[/quote

I am confused. Are Woodstock and Rothesay moving up to AAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife1228

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:30 am

Nope just stating who I think the best teams will be.Both Woodstock and Rothesay I believe can beat most AAA schools. They should be easy favourites to meet in the Final 12 for AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife1228

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 am

We will see on the first weekend of tournaments in Miramichi when both Woodstock and Rothesay are there. Teams going to Miramichi.

Miramichi Valley
James M Hill
Carleton North
Woodstock
KVHS
Rothesay

So we will see how they compare to 2 teams in AAA i ranked below them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
threepointmachine1

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 am

AAA
1. Fredericton
2. Saint John
3. Bernice McNaughton
4. Moncton
5. Leo Hayes
6. KVHS
7. Sussex
8. Simonds
9. Riverview
10. Harbour View

AA
1.Rothesay
2. Woodstock
3. James M Hill
4. Carleton North
5. Tantramar
6. Fundy
7. St. Stephan
8. JMA Armstrong
9. Hampton
10. Southern Victoria

A
1. Fredericton Christian Academy
2. Canterburry
3. Harvey
4. Petticodiac
5. Hartland
6. John Caldwell
7. McAdam
8. Dalhousie
9. Caledonia
10. Sir James Dunn

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatFan

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 pm

NoFuture wrote:
KatFan wrote:
NoFuture wrote:

That is what I meant by AD being involved. They should be enforcing at their schools that grade 11's can only be taken if there are not enough players to form a JV team. That is what the rule was originally created for.

Heard that FHS Varsity took 13 Players. 7 grade 12’s and 6 grade 11’s. there Jr varsity took 12 Players, 6 grade 10’s and 6 grade 9’s. with FHS starting a Tier II team. What was the big Panic all about.

Rumours are the RHS and BMHS both have grade 11’s.

What no one says boo if they have 11’s or If LHHS has 11’s; but once the rumours start that FHS has 11’s, stop the press.

Last edited by KatFan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm

KatFan wrote:

Heard that FHS Varsity took 13 Players. 7 grade 12’s and 6 grade 11’s. there Jr varsity took 12 Players, 6 grade 10’s and 6 grade 9’s. with FHS starting a Tier II team. What was the big Panic all about.

Rumours are the RHS and BMHS both have grade 11’s.

What no one says boo if they have 11’s, of If LHHS has 11’s. but once the rumour start that GHS has 11’s, stop the press.

Unless something changed after they announced the JV team at FHS, there are two grade 11s playing and there are three playing at LHHS.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre Season rankings   

Back to top Go down

Pre Season rankings
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next