HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2017-18 4A Girls Predictions

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
oldman

PostSubject: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Any thoughts? It's still a month away, but I'm starting to hear about some of the programs, and there were many Sr teams with 10s and 11s last year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Oldman - Can you break down Calgary?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: south    Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 pm

in the south for girls should be a down year this year I would expect LCI to be the best in the league as they added the miller girl from CCH along with the players coming back should win. Raymond loses a lot but brings back quite a bit played 10 or 11 deep last year lost a about half including best player.
Magrath is moving up to 4A this year with Brad Karren now coaching after retiring from the college and bring back most of last years team lost best player moved to Idaho the Dow girl.
Cardston should be okay still not old Cardston standard bit of a talent drought still tough.
Med Hat loses quite a bit from last year team not a good JV team moving up but still solid grade 11 at this point I assume a tough out until proven otherwise.
Chinook don't expect much out of can't seem to get talent in the system all of their sports are struggling right now best is volleyball but that has even fallen off.
CCH no miller girl new coach not sure who they got some pieces still in the system would still expect them and CCH to bring up rear in league
Myers loses two best players expect to take step back but still have sparks girl would expect them to be solid still at bottom as they are only 3A team left in the league
churchill girls have left league for year kept jv girls in the league for right now those are my thoughts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Basketballcalgary wrote:

Still early, so I don't have all the info yet, but...

Western should still be strong - some returning from last year's champs (Claire C), and they have that CBA connection feeding them talent. Their JV team was decent. Big thing - last season Calgary was weak. Western won't have it as easy this year.

Centennial had a load of really strong 11s. Carly A will be a beast, and she's with Brooke E, another Team Alberta girl. Their JV team was dominant as well. They'll be big, fast, and good shooting. I'd suggest they're the favourite to win the league this year.

Carroll had a good young team last year, and they're adding Yvonne E, who's this year's Brynn M (dominant Grade 10). Could be 2nd behind Centennial. JV program was really weak last year, but their 3 best 10s were on the Sr team.

Don't know much about Abe's returning girls. They had a decent JV team & always have solid coaching, so they'll be in the mix, but no higher than 4th.

Likewise Mary's... They had a really scrappy JV team, and are always well coached, but much depends on who they have coming in. I'd say they could be as high as 4th, or as low as 7th.

Francis will be really interesting. No Brynn (went to Ontario), but they had a really strong JV team last year, and appear to have finally sorted their SV coaching out. They will be super fast, and there's some really strong Team Alberta 10s coming in. Wild card. Could be as high as 3rd, or low as 6th.

Grandin is always OK, but I honestly don't know what they have this year. Likewise Scarlett.

BoB, Manning & Churchill were all weak last year, and there's wasn't much at the JV level, so unless they have new players...

Bowness & Thirsk dominated Div 2 last year, and I've heard the Bowness team is especially cohesive, so you never know. It is a big jump up, however...

I could update this later when I know more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:01 am

I agree Centennial is the team to beat this season.
I think Carroll will be very good and could beat Centennial in playoffs
Western and Marys will be right there and it wouldn't surprise anyone if they upset the top 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 am

In South: LCI is best team- return several players and gain a strong player in Miller.

In Calgary: Centennial is most talented team and I would be surprised if they didnt win Calgary. I think BC (Ejim joins a team that competed despite being young last year) and Western (Claire C should be dominant) will fight for 2nd or 3rd. I think Abe/St F/ St Ms will fight for 4th in Calgary.

In Edmonton: Paul Kane is loaded with best talent- only graduated 1 player and were ranked top 10 all last year. Jasper Place graduated serious talent, but they have reloaded with their usual collection of players from surrounding Edmonton areas (Leduc, Sherwood Park, Beaumont). SACHS had 5 grade 10s last year and return Provincial PG --they will be a guard-oriented team that pushes the tempo and shoot the 3. I think Scona (graduated best player, best returning guard moved to BC, no prov players returning, but a couple of very athletic grade 12s), MAC (big and strong, heavy on grade 12s), Bev Facey (lost a prov player but were very young last year) will duke it out for 4th. Biggest drop I think will be Spruce Grove who have new coach and graduated 4 starters-they return a few guards, but not the calibre of the players they lost.

REB tourney this year features LCI, Centennial ,Jasper Place, Western, SACHS, Paul Kane, Kelowna, and a California team , so there likely will be 6 of the top 10 teams in the province playing each other prior to Christmas--should help with 1st round of rankings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Username

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 pm

The Mike Dea classic which will run from Nov 30 - Dec 2 will be attended by the following teams (girls side):

1. Archbishop O’Leary (Edmonton, AB)
2. Beaumont (Beaumont, AB)
3. Bishop O’Byrne (Calgary, AB)
4. Jasper Place (Edmonton, AB)
5. LeBoldus (Regina, SK)
6. Luther (Regina, SK)
7. Paul Kane (St. Albert, AB)
8. Regina Christian (Regina, SK)
9. St. Albert (St. Albert, AB)
10. St. Joseph (Saskatoon, SK)
11. St. Francis Xavier (Edmonton, AB)
12. Winston Churchill (Lethbridge, AB)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 pm

oldman wrote:
Basketballcalgary wrote:

Western should still be strong - some returning from last year's champs (Claire C), and they have that CBA connection feeding them talent.  Their JV team was decent.  Big thing - last season Calgary was weak.  Western won't have it as easy this year.

Centennial had a load of really strong 11s.  Carly A will be a beast, and she's with Brooke E, another Team Alberta girl.  Their JV team was dominant as well.  They'll be big, fast, and good shooting.  I'd suggest they're the favourite to win the league this year.

Carroll had a good young team last year, and they're adding Yvonne E, who's this year's Brynn M (dominant Grade 10). Could be 2nd behind Centennial.  JV program was really weak last year, but their 3 best 10s were on the Sr team.

Don't know much about Abe's returning girls.  They had a decent JV team & always have solid coaching, so they'll be in the mix, but no higher than 4th.

Likewise Mary's...  They had a really scrappy JV team, and are always well coached, but much depends on who they have coming in.  I'd say they could be as high as 4th, or as low as 7th.

Francis will be really interesting.  No Brynn (went to Ontario), but they had a really strong JV team last year, and appear to have finally sorted their SV coaching out.  They will be super fast, and there's some really strong Team Alberta 10s coming in.  Wild card.  Could be as high as 3rd, or low as 6th.

Grandin is always OK, but I honestly don't know what they have this year.  Likewise Scarlett.

BoB, Manning & Churchill were all weak last year, and there's wasn't much at the JV level, so unless they have new players...

Bowness & Thirsk dominated Div 2 last year, and I've heard the Bowness team is especially cohesive, so you never know.  It is a big jump up, however...

Minor update:

Western's top player is out (Claire C). Big blow. May end up being a rebuilding year, as I've heard that they might be taking a bunch of 10s. If so, they drop down to the pack battling for 3/4 (Mary's, Abe, Francis)

Speaking of which - I totally forgot - Mary's has a star returning who didn't play at all last year. Probably stronger than I said.

Meaningful games start with the Girls draw in the D4!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Marys will be a lot stronger than last season. They have the talent and an advantage with the league schedule.They should be one of the top seeds for playoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 pm

Why is Claire C (Western) out? Also, why is the Classic not happening?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:29 am

oldman wrote:
Basketballcalgary wrote:

Western should still be strong - some returning from last year's champs (Claire C), and they have that CBA connection feeding them talent.  Their JV team was decent.  Big thing - last season Calgary was weak.  Western won't have it as easy this year.

Centennial had a load of really strong 11s.  Carly A will be a beast, and she's with Brooke E, another Team Alberta girl.  Their JV team was dominant as well.  They'll be big, fast, and good shooting.  I'd suggest they're the favourite to win the league this year.

Carroll had a good young team last year, and they're adding Yvonne E, who's this year's Brynn M (dominant Grade 10). Could be 2nd behind Centennial.  JV program was really weak last year, but their 3 best 10s were on the Sr team.

Don't know much about Abe's returning girls.  They had a decent JV team & always have solid coaching, so they'll be in the mix, but no higher than 4th.

Likewise Mary's...  They had a really scrappy JV team, and are always well coached, but much depends on who they have coming in.  I'd say they could be as high as 4th, or as low as 7th.

Francis will be really interesting.  No Brynn (went to Ontario), but they had a really strong JV team last year, and appear to have finally sorted their SV coaching out.  They will be super fast, and there's some really strong Team Alberta 10s coming in.  Wild card.  Could be as high as 3rd, or low as 6th.

Grandin is always OK, but I honestly don't know what they have this year.  Likewise Scarlett.

Bowness & Thirsk dominated Div 2 last year, and I've heard the Bowness team is especially cohesive, so you never know.  It is a big jump up, however...

Adjustments based on D4 observations:

Girls Observations:
Tough draw for Chestemere & Foothills. Going up against 2 of the top 4 teams in the first round. I guess it was a foregone conclusion that they met in the consolation final. At least they got a good game there...
LCI & Carroll look good. 2 of the top 5 teams in the province right there (Kane, Centennial, another Edmonton team)
Francis was a surprise. I guess they might actually be better than I thought - maybe with Mary's to fight for 3rd, but ahead of Abe & Western?

Carroll looked good. I'm not sure they can beat Centennial, but I'm certain they're top 2 in Calgary. Manning looked OK, but still look like they'll be 7th at best. Western might be worse than I thought. Francis might be better than I thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:31 am

hoopsab wrote:
Why is Claire C (Western) out?  Also, why is the Classic not happening?

For the Classic, I heard it was a loss of scholarship $$$, but also a lack of volunteers to actually organize it. The guys who ran it in the past stepped aside after several years. It's a big job.

Claire C - I don't know for sure. It's a major injury. I heard ACL or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: cardston tourment    Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Cardston tournament girls had different results than expected foothills girls made the final beat LCI and Raymond. Magrath girls won the tournament beat foothills in final beat chestermere in first round than cardston in second round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Calgary Div 1 League   Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Calgary Div 1 League Updates:

St. Mary's beat Scarlett & Manning
Centennial beat Bowness & Thirsk
Francis beat Grandin
Western beat Grandin

All pretty much as expected.

Close games:

Carroll beat Aberhart 81-76
Carroll beat Western 59-56

Most interesting game next week - Aberhart plays Western.

Carroll tournament & Medicine Hat tournament this weekend - anyone have any info on who's in them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I believe both western and aberhart were missing key players when they played bishop carroll. This would suggest that the division 1 league is a lot closer than first thought because marys and francis are also showing to be competitive. Marys scored over 100 points in league this week which is pretty impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:38 pm

girls is looking interesting with PK beating JP in the final in a game not close for the whole second half LCI and JP was a good game closer than 10 point final it looks like st albert couldn't play don't know what happened cardston girls beat st mary for the second time looks like they beat st francis of calgary at CCH tournament
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:59 pm

westwind Bball wrote:
girls is looking interesting with PK beating JP in the final in a game not close for the whole second half LCI and JP was a good game closer than 10 point final it looks like st albert couldn't play don't know what happened cardston girls beat st mary for the second time looks like they beat st francis of calgary at CCH tournament

So Cardston beating Francis & Marys (both of which are much better this year) looks good. Are they up there with LCI in the South?

Mary's is looking good... Calgary looks much more wide open than last year. Could be at least 6 teams vying for provincial spots.

Carroll won their home tournament, but I heard the draw wasn't tough. Besides Abe, any other quality there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Celticsfan191

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Does anyone care to share what they think the first set of rankings might look like for 4A girls?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Celticsfan191 wrote:
Does anyone care to share what they think the first set of rankings might look like for 4A girls?

What happened in the Cardston tourney?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: cardston tourment    Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:17 pm

if you are wondering about why magrath won it is because they are a good team as for foothills LCI was dealing with injuries and sickness and that is a pretty good foothills team hope that helps
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:25 am

Celticsfan191 wrote:

Here’s a guess:

1a. JP. Split with PK in Mike Dea and REB. Both play PK tourney this weekend so winner will be #1.
1b. PK.
3. Bishop Carroll. Won D4 and own tournament and undefeated in league.
4. LCI. good showing in close loss vs JP at REB.
5. Centennial. Preseason Calgary favourite. Poor showing at REB missing players. Potential to rise in later rankings.
6. Cardston. Wins over Francis, Marys, & Abe. Silver Belle and CCH tournament champs.
7. SACHS. Defaulted at REB due to lack of players. Potential to be higher if healthy.
8. Western Canada. Losses to Francis and Carroll, win over depleted Centennial. Best player returning from injury, potential to rise.
9. Foothills.
10. St. Francis. D4 finalist. Several of the HMs could go here too.
HM. St. Mary’s, Chestermere, Med Hat, Aberhart, Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:00 pm

trifecta3 wrote:
Celticsfan191 wrote:

Here’s a guess:

1a. JP.  Split with PK in Mike Dea and REB.  Both play PK tourney this weekend so winner will be #1.
1b.  PK.
3. Bishop Carroll.  Won D4 and own tournament and undefeated in league.
4. LCI.  good showing in close loss vs JP at REB.
5. Centennial.  Preseason Calgary favourite.  Poor showing at REB missing players.  Potential to rise in later rankings.
6. Cardston.  Wins over Francis, Marys, & Abe.  Silver Belle and CCH tournament champs.
7. SACHS.  Defaulted at REB due to lack of players.  Potential to be higher if healthy.
8. Western Canada.  Losses to Francis and Carroll, win over depleted Centennial.  Best player returning from injury, potential to rise.
9. Foothills.
10. St. Francis. D4 finalist.  Several of the HMs could go here too.
HM. St. Mary’s, Chestermere, Med Hat, Aberhart, Raymond.

I'd be inclined to agree. It's tough - I haven't seen enough of the Edmonton teams, so it's kind of a guess as well.

I'd say:

1. Kane
2. JP
3. Centennial (better than Carroll)
4. LCI
5. Carroll
6. Western (If Claire C comes back 100%)
7. SACHS (if healthy)
8. Chestermere
9. Francis
10. Cardston
HM - Mary's, Abe, Foothills, Raymond, Magrath, Leduc

Honestly - it's pretty fluid. If Western & SACHS are healthy, they can creep up. Carroll hasn't blown me away.
Mary's & Francis are wild cards in Calgary. Foothills & Chestermere look pretty good early on, better than they have in a while. Cardston & Raymond could easily get into the rankings. Seems to be more open than in previous years when you had JP (16-17) and Francis (15-16) as obvious powers. Should be an interesting season.

Am I missing anyone? Edmonton?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 am

Mostly one-sided games in Calgary this week (Grandin beat SWC, Western beat Manning yesterday) (Western vs BoB, Mary's vs Bowness, Carroll vs Scarlett today), except Abe vs Grandin could have been interesting if Grandin wasn't playing back-to-back. The highlight is tonight - Francis vs Centennial. This should clarify if Francis actually can contend for a provincial spot. Centennial should win, but if it's close, it looks good for Francis.

Edmonton games last night went as expected - JP, Kane & Leduc won. Did SACHS win? I'd assume so, but...

Interesting games in the South this week...

Med Hat hosts Raymond on Weds
LCI hosts Med Hat on Fri
Raymond hosts LCI on Sat
CCH hosts Cardston on Sat

That LCI/Raymond game should be a good one...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 2017-18 4A Girls Predictions   Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Just a couple thoughts on the south. Magrath is 4A this year in case you didn't know. They beat Foothills, who beat LCI and Raymond. Magrath has also beaten Cardston twice. They are the best team in the south to this point. In the south the order should go Magrath, then LCI, then Cardston, and then Raymond based on results so far. All of these teams should remain competitive with each other throughout the season. Of the 4, I think Raymond is the only team that should maybe be HM. The other 3 should be in top ten for sure IMO.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: rankings    Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:16 pm

here is my guess at first rankings
1 JP
2 PK
3 BC
4 LCI
5 Cenn
6 Magrath
7 western