HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
celts4

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:39 pm

How about Belleisle Regional High School? anyone have hope for them? they look good for this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:43 pm

How about Belleisle Regional High School? anyone have hope for them? they look good for this year. they put on a good run at the end of the season/regionals. look for them to upset another team like they did against petitcodiac last year. dont underestimate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:07 pm

final 4 - sugarloaf, devon park, harvey and either mcadam or dalhousie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

keep in mind these are just predictions!

TOP TEAMS:
Sugarloaf: (always running, have great ball movement, teamwork and scoring ability)
DP: (just a very talented team)
McAdam: (great program always hard working and still have star brandon moffit)
Harvey: (streaky team, when they're off they arent a problem, but when hot they cant be contained)
Belleisle: (worked hard to get where they're at, great defensive team, play at high intensity, no giving up for them)
Central NB Acedemy: (lost some key players but have heard they picked up some decent players from the schools merging together)
JMA: (never can count them out, they always pull something out and give everyone a run for their money)
Minto: (big man justin corey can shoot from anywhere and leads his team in everything. will need other players to step up to be a true contender)

Wildcard: Caladonia (hard work pays off. showed signs of their ability at end of season but need consistency.)
No-Shows: Petti (lost their key players and didnt 'notice' anybody to really replace them. cant see them doing their greatest this year) Campo (Beney is gone now. nuff said)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 pm

AAA

SouthWest
1.LHHS
2. FHS
3. KVHS
4. WHS

NorthEast
1. BHS
2. RHS
3. BMHS
4. ?

AA
Southwest

1. Harvey
2. DP
3-4. Mcadam/GM/Fundy

Northeast
1. Sugarloaf
2. DRHS
3. JMA
4. Minto
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:11 pm

solid picks

mine are

AAA southwet
1) LHHs - deep and skilled
2) FHs - not as skilled and not as deep as usual
3) KVHs - still struggle in big games
4) CNshs- will be ok and play hard. always tough down the stretch...if OHs has hovey and ryer , they may take a run at that 4th pot

AAA Northeast

1)RHs- very deep in good shooters
2)BHs- robichaud gone but Daley in . should keep them in contention
3) BMHs - got good returning crew
4) toss up between HTHs , Tantramar, JMH (good JV team) and EsN ( yep , they are in at var and jv level ....if MVHs has a team , though that is not likely , then there would be a northern conference)

AA sw - I am not as familar with aa ball

1. Harvey- good , tough team
2. DP- well coached , defend hard....could be 1st team in a boys regional final , led in scoring by a girl
3. Mcadam- without magillicuddy , won't be as tough
4. Fundy-been building for a while...they will be tough

AA NE

1. Sugarloaf - a lot of talented returning players and good jv's coming up.
2. DRHS- 4 solid returnees from last yrs AAA team and some decent jv's coming up
3. JMA-
4. Minto

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I assume you are joking about Gillis playing for the DP boys team. That isn't permitted the same way any boy can't play on a girls team. Unless something has drastically changed in nbiaa policy that I'm not aware of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 pm

The NBIAA will allow girls to play on Boy teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:17 pm

According to NBIAA regs, if a school has no girls team in a particular sport then a girl may play on the boys team. For example last season there was a girl on the DRHS boys baseball team as DRHS has no girls softball program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Operating Regulation 18.15 - NBIAA Handbook   Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Maripac30 wrote:
According to NBIAA regs, if a school has no girls team in a particular sport then a girl may play on the boys team. For example last season there was a girl on the DRHS boys baseball team as DRHS has no girls softball program.

The onus is on individual member schools to provide programs consistent with the
Association’s sanctioned activities. However, if a member school elects not to register in
a particular activity, a female-athlete may try-out for the team of the opposite gender
within the schoo
l.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:26 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
solid picks

AAA Northeast

1)RHs- very deep in good shooters
2)BHs- robichaud gone but Daley in . should keep them in contention
3) BMHs - got good returning crew
4) toss up between HTHs , Tantramar, JMH (good JV team) and EsN ( yep , they are in at var and jv level ....if MVHs has a team , though that is not likely , then there would be a northern conference)

What about Moncton High? They should at least better than the teams listed at #4

Odyssee ia also in that conference although they probably won'tbe strong
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:05 pm

MHs lost alot to graduation...don't think they will be contend this yr. Also heard their coach may not be back.....who knows...they may contend for 4th but no higher....

ODY was not that good last year , doubt they will be a lot better this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Campo lost Beney and Morton but i still think they have a competitive squad. Tyler Howlett is very skilled and can shoot consistently. Will Carroll has developed into a nice post player that can score. They have two pretty good players coming up from junior that have good size and are very athletic. I think Stafan Mitchell is still there but not positive. They won't be very deep but Campobello is never very deep. I think they will be able to suit up a decent starting 5. They won't contend for banner but they will certainly be in the mix for the top four in the south. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Plus I hear that Greg Walker has accepted a position teaching in the school, If he steps in and coaches with Tyler then you can bet they will be very well coached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Hoosier fan wrote:
Campo lost Beney and Morton but i still think they have a competitive squad. Tyler Howlett is very skilled and can shoot consistently. Will Carroll has developed into a nice post player that can score. They have two pretty good players coming up from junior that have good size and are very athletic. I think Stafan Mitchell is still there but not positive. They won't be very deep but Campobello is never very deep. I think they will be able to suit up a decent starting 5. They won't contend for banner but they will certainly be in the mix for the top four in the south. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Plus I hear that Greg Walker has accepted a position teaching in the school, If he steps in and coaches with Tyler then you can bet they will be very well coached.

I am glad someone brought this up. The south conference has the potential to be ridiculously competitive this year.

Don't get me wrong until someone proves otherwise in Feb. Sugarloaf and DP still need to be the front runners, and Dalhousie returning three AAA starters could be a tough out, along with JMA, Bellisle, Central who are all going to be competitive as well.

That being said if you look at the south top to bottom (and this is in no particular order) you've got arguably the deepest AA conference :
*Harvey - Probably the favorite. Strong coaching, rebounding, and everyone back from a team that other then DP is probably the best m2m defensive team in AA.
*RNS - Back at a varsity level. Their entire JV team (#1 in south last season) will probably be moving up, they will likely add some athletes, and have a strong big man.
*McAdam - Their entire supporting cast is back supporting 1 lock as an allstar. If McGillicudy isn't their that clearly hurts. But they will be tough and legitimate shot with a big bodied shooter and scorer in a league where bigs and shooters are at a premium.
*GM - Very strong and experienced on the bench with Coach Russell. They were young last year on Varsity and by the end of the year hung with everyone, on top of that their JV was very tough as well.
*Fundy - They will be long and athletic as well as deep with young talent. Combine this with their style of play that gets a lot of bodies in and out and a high pace makes them a tough matchup for the teams that don't want to go deep in their benches.
* Campbello - Two legitmate scorers, a tough post and some athletes. You know they will have their system ingrained and spend as much time in the gym shooting as anyone else in the league.
*SJDA- I don't know if they'll have a boys team this year and even if they did based on last year would be the weak link in an otherwise strong group.

On top of that if you look at placed like McAdam, Campo., GM, these are some of the toughest gyms in AA to get a road win. This is probably the deepest and most competitive league in AA top to bottom. So add this to DP and some young programs in the west; an Eastern conference with 3-4 tough teams and a northern conference with 2-3 very good teams . . . AA could be very competitive this year. ALthough if they worked as hard this off season as they did last then Sugarloaf could easily be 20 + pts better then everyone except a couple of teams this year. AA seems to get more and more competitive every year?

Will this be its last in this format? (THis comment should probably be its own thread lol).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm

good points Coach DJR....as for this being potentially the last yr of the two tier format ( the classification issue comes up every 3 yrs)
I am thinking any change that comes , will be for the 4 tier format more than back to 3.... not that I think that would be a good change.....but there has been a lot of talk about that in recent months and there may be a lot of push for it?
what do you folks think???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Guaranteed we will be moving back to the three tier system. Have spoken to many ADs over the summer and everyone agrees that it has not worked as well as the old system. Basketball may have worked out fine for most teams but most of the other sports did not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 pm

My prediction for south is harvey, dp, mcadam , grand manan..
fundy will be weak with only jv players moving up , and there two best graduating
rns will only have jv and will take a year to adapt to the senior level,
campobello should do quite alright against some weaker teams, they will have to wait until next year for them to be somewhat competitive.
mcadam will be a lot weaker with losing andrew , and only having brandon as a scoring option
harvey will be one of the beasts in the south
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Rudas wrote:
Guaranteed we will be moving back to the three tier system. Have spoken to many ADs over the summer and everyone agrees that it has not worked as well as the old system. Basketball may have worked out fine for most teams but most of the other sports did not.

Basketball worked out fine?? I hardly think so....a school of 700 vs. a school of 75 is not the defination of 'working out fine'...but that is just my opinion.

One downfall of going back to three tiers....since there has been no 'A' championship - the Provinical trophys both M&F - still reside on GM. And that's where they belong, damnit!!! We ain't giving them back!! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:53 pm

With the loss of both Horsman boys, I doubt GM will do much...Frank is an excellent coach, but I've never seen him pull rabbits out of his butt...!! I think we have some potential, but it might be another year or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:55 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

With the loss of both Horsman boys, I doubt GM will do much...Frank is an excellent coach, but I've never seen him pull rabbits out of his butt...!! I think we have some potential, but it might be another year or two.

Yes.. there are rumors on grand manan saying that jarod might be coming back... Sam helped us very well, but we have some good jv players coming back , and we have some talent.. not championship calibre talent , but we have some players that can make a bang in the south
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:32 pm

Baller 2010-11 wrote:

Yes.. there are rumors on grand manan saying that jarod might be coming back... Sam helped us very well, but we have some good jv players coming back , and we have some talent.. not championship calibre talent , but we have some players that can make a bang in the south

I agree that Grand Manan will make a bang in the south, how big that bang is in my opinion depends on whether or not one or two of those guys can elevate their game and become big scorers. They depended a lot on Bainbridge last year to score. This is a team that is filled with great role players but lacks that player that can score consistently big numbers and be their teams best player. I personally think that Jordan Green has just scratched the surface of what he can do. He is extremely athletic and has shown a few bursts of scoring, but hasn't done it consistently. I see him having a huge breakout year. With Sam Horseman gone i think the reigns of ballhandling will probably go to Carter Thompson. He is a good ballhandler that seems to be in foul trouble very early in games. However, he is more than capable of running the point. I personally think that the loss of Sam Horseman will be huge for them. He was a workhorse on defence for them and I was really looking forward to this kid developing. Either way i see the south as Harvey and McAdam battling for 1st and 2nd. Campo, Fundy and Grand Manan battling for 3rd and 4th. RNS is a bit of a wildcard for me, i saw their junior squad from last year and they had a real nice post player but besides that nothing else really stood out for me.

Can't wait for the season to get going. Should be an interesting year with the final 12(Cool moving to Saint JOhn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Baller 2010-11 wrote:
My prediction for south is harvey, dp, mcadam , grand manan..
fundy will be weak with only jv players moving up , and there two best graduating
rns will only have jv and will take a year to adapt to the senior level,
campobello should do quite alright against some weaker teams, they will have to wait until next year for them to be somewhat competitive.
mcadam will be a lot weaker with losing andrew , and only having brandon as a scoring option
harvey will be one of the beasts in the south

Devon Park does not play in the south
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Hoosier fan wrote:
Baller 2010-11 wrote:

I agree that Grand Manan will make a bang in the south, how big that bang is in my opinion depends on whether or not one or two of those guys can elevate their game and become big scorers. They depended a lot on Bainbridge last year to score. This is a team that is filled with great role players but lacks that player that can score consistently big numbers and be their teams best player. I personally think that Jordan Green has just scratched the surface of what he can do. He is extremely athletic and has shown a few bursts of scoring, but hasn't done it consistently. I see him having a huge breakout year. With Sam Horseman gone i think the reigns of ballhandling will probably go to Carter Thompson. He is a good ballhandler that seems to be in foul trouble very early in games. However, he is more than capable of running the point. I personally think that the loss of Sam Horseman will be huge for them. He was a workhorse on defence for them and I was really looking forward to this kid developing. Either way i see the south as Harvey and McAdam battling for 1st and 2nd. Campo, Fundy and Grand Manan battling for 3rd and 4th. RNS is a bit of a wildcard for me, i saw their junior squad from last year and they had a real nice post player but besides that nothing else really stood out for me.

Can't wait for the season to get going. Should be an interesting year with the final 12(Cool moving to Saint JOhn.

Yes, we have a few jv players moving up.. and a very good guard named zach pothier.. with good caoching we should do alright... sam was a workhorse but took some bad shots at times, campo will be decent with tyler , fundy should be alright... id most likely see harvey , mcadam , grand manan, and then fundy.. the poiint guard position will most likely go to carter thompson or zach pothier... carter will be a very big part of our team this year , just like last year hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble... jordan is a very big part of our team.. and we have a lot of role players so we will see how it goes.. we will either have the coach Frankie Russell or John Guptill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Geez I forgot about that Pothier kid, yeah he is a player that can help this team. If I am remembering right he is small, but shoots the ball well and has some pretty good ballhandling skills. Although he is small he doesn't struggle getting to the rim.

I realy hope Frankie comes back, i thought he did a pretty good job with those kids last year. I mean he really only had one post player in Jeremy Ellis. Jordan was there but he was very young and was learning how to compete physically at the senior level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 pm

[quote="GM Breaker '84-'88"]
Rudas wrote:

Basketball worked out fine?? I hardly think so....a school of 700 vs. a school of 75 is not the defination of 'working out fine'...but that is just my opinion.

If you go back and READ my post it said for most teams. I know McAdam had a couple of good seasons and they were more than competitive and barring a major injury to a star player each year would have been at the AUC both years. That being said they lost in the regional final first to Bathurst and last year to Sugarloaf...a couple of teams they never would have seen if they were still in A. I would still say the new system had little affect on their very small school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions   Today at 5:27 am

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 High School Boys Basketball News/Predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next