HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls 2010/2011 predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
AA Fan wrote:
Stating that TV only wins because of there two bigs also can be stated about most teams . Would you still pick Riverview if Picard and Donahue were not there or FHS without Appleby or Haslet ?? Probably not .

I'm not trying to start a controversy (well maybe a little so more people will talk about girls basketball in this province . . . after all we've had a NEDA player or national team player for something like 5 years in a row now) but I'm not sure we are talking apples and apples.

First of all TV's bigs are "bigs" they aren't beating people through superior play rather being bigger and more active which for them and that team is only effective at best vs. decent high school level. Against equal athleticism or even a superior skilled team that worked hard they wouldn't be nearly as effective.

Appleby is the only other girl you mentioned who uses athleticism as a primary weapon over skill and she is arguably still more skilled then the two kids from TV. The others are great players beating people on skills developed through years of training and basketball IQ. I would argue that FHS and Riverview (along with LHHS and WHS) will beat teams this year because of their depth of talent compared to everyone else. I think if you take the best two players off each of these teams their team still beats 85% of the girls teams in the province. If you take those two kids off TV what percentage of the teams in the province do they beat????

I'm not anti TV or anti AA basketball. I think Hilary and the Oulette girls work hard and do a great job. I just wouldn't but them in the same category as the best basketball players this province in producing. In the same way as on Sundays when here are a dozen football games to watch, there is always the "real" game between the top teams that garners the most attention. It doesn't make the rest of the teams robots or not respected, it just that everyone watching knows where the best talent to watch will be.

I have to agree with your view on the 4 teams you listed in regards to depth of talent. You have to understand, though, that the schools you mentioned have about 10 times more population to pick from than TV. AA ball is so much more exciting because of the small communities who get involved. That cann be easily witnessed at the Aitken Centre the last few years. AA finals almost always draw double the crowds.

Everyone knows Riverview will be there....how many more years till they won't??

Let's leave Oulette out of it as i do agree somewhat with you in regards to her basketball ability. She is a girl in a woman's body and knows how to be physical and get boards....it works. I do have to disagree with you a bit when talking about Hilary. TV played WHS last year late in the season with WHS only winning by a few. Goodine outplayed the Gray girl and Mchatten 10 fold. They could not gaurd her, outrbound her or steal the ball from her. She is a very good dribbler for her size and has the all mighty left hand. I really like her as she never gives up and gets better the more she is tested. She rolled over Brittney in the finals last year.....who according to everyone was supposed to be a top 3 player in the province. How far does pure athleticism take you? In high school ball, it will take you a long ways. She is the most athletic player in double AA and questionably in AAA. Just imagine what kind of damage she could do if TV had a bit better shooting to draw the defense out? Instead of averaging 25+, she would be getting 40.

I hope Wade plays some stronger AAA teams this year so we can just see how they match up.....it may surprise us!! Ofcourse LHS or FHS wouldn't want to play some off the beaten path team from Plaster Rock.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
defence.

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:21 pm

just to clarify the post further up top about Harvey.. you can't judge a team unless you've already seen them play.
I've heard they've got speed, accurate shooting, ball handling, and strength.
but were going to have to wait and see. the girls are playing this weekend in the Blacks invitational against Stanley, Caledonia, and Tobique. should be a good match up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:11 pm

lakers1012 wrote:
just to clarify the post further up top about Harvey.. you can't judge a team unless you've already seen them play.
but were going to have to wait and see. the girls are playing this weekend in the Blacks invitational against Stanley, Caledonia, and Tobique. should be a good match up!

I am willing to wager TV cleans house everyone by 20+ each game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:12 pm

celtic wrote:
lakers1012 wrote:

your a joke.. GM girls , and RNS girls and the Harvey girls wouldnt lose to TV by twenty. i just cant see that happening .. everyone talks about them like theyre the Lakers of the NBA , watch out for the other teams.. because under dogs usually win the HS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 am

Baller 2010-11 wrote:
celtic wrote:
lakers1012 wrote:

your a joke.. GM girls , and RNS girls and the Harvey girls wouldnt lose to TV by twenty. i just cant see that happening .. everyone talks about them like theyre the Lakers of the NBA , watch out for the other teams.. because under dogs usually win the HS

hehe....glad to see you get worked up so easily....lets wait and see the scores after this weekend and we will see who is right! As for your GM girls....they will be contenders for sure but Veysey builds his team as the season goes on. He is very sly and doesn't show his cards all at once....possibly the best coach in high school ball. All i am saying is that at this point early in the season, nobody is going to touch TV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:13 am

Tobique Valley is not in a tourney this weekend !!! They have two league games .
They are in the Bathurst touney on the 19th and 20th with sugarloaf , dalhousie RNS ,St.stephen and Bathurst . The next weeknd they are in the valhalla and I think there is Caladonia , Harvey , SV ,Fort Fairfield and Carelton North .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
defence.

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:18 am

sorry for that. its southern vic instead of TV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:02 am

Mistaking Tobique Valley (Plaster Rock) for SV (Perth) is all it takes to start a big fight in Victoria county.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Now be fair . . . how hard is it to start a fight in Victoria county really???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Good point coachDJR
Back to top Go down
View user profile
defence.

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:30 pm

easy there AAFan. I'm not startin nothing i just made a little mistake, relax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:03 pm

By the looks of the Harvey blacks tourney Stanley may be a contender in the AA . All the scores looked very close . Stanley 3-0 , SV 2-1 , Caladonia 1-2 and Harvey 0-3 .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 am

Looking at scores from this weekend Riverview is rolling already and vs. some top level competition.

RHS 1 . . . then everyone else.

LHHS, FHS, WHS, BMHS ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:12 am

Woodstock thumps OHS

Harvey girls lose to AAA St. Stephen by 12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Tobique Valley will beat everyone by 30 points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:39 pm

TVHS by 25+ over RNS today in the BHS girls tourney finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:51 pm

Baller said that RNS and other teams would not lose to Tobique by 20. He was 100% correct. Tobique actually beat RNS by 40, 78-38. While using all of their bench
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: TV only beat them by 40, so I guess you were right.   Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Baller 2010-11 wrote:
celtic wrote:
lakers1012 wrote:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:24 pm

So the GM girls beat Rothesay Netherwood today by 20, RNS didn't have Anna S. Seems like GM has the upper hand when it comes to control of the south. TV is definately the class of the girls, but perhaps the battle for the other spot at Harbour Station will bebetween a healthy RNS, Stanley, and Grand Manan. Hard to compare teams in separate conferences with each other when they don't play each other, so I am not exaxtly sure about Stanley, John Caldwell or Southern Vic either for that matter. I know TV beat RNS by 38 without Anna Simonds playing, and GM beat RNS by 20 under the same situation, perhaps Veyseys squad can give TV a run, it would certainly make a more interesting season if we thought so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I have been watching girls ball for a long time now. Nobody can compete with Tobique in AA. Goodine, Ouellette and the Cooper girl are just too dynamic for anyone to handle. Three headed monster!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls 2010/2011 predictions   Today at 5:32 am

Back to top Go down

Girls 2010/2011 predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2