HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

City/Zone Playoffs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoKnights

PostSubject: City/Zone Playoffs   Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:17 am

Some thoughts on Boys Zones/City Champs:

The Edmonton provincial teams for boys have been decided tonight with Shep narrowly escaping an upset by Bev Facey, JP crushing STFX, Ainlay winning a high scoring game over Leduc, and O'Leary pulling out a 9 pt win over Edmonton Christian. Ainlay should be a tough force in provincials while the others probably won't be able to go all the way. Ainlay should be able to win title easily in Edmonton.

In Calgary playoffs start later in the week and should be very interesting to see the matchups as almost certainly only 4 teams will get into provincials. If I had to guess, I would say Churchill doesn't make it because they have struggled near the end of the season but they are certainly capable, in addition to teams such as Western. Ultimately I would predict BOB to win the city, with St.Mary's, McNally, and Lacombe all making provincials.

In the South I would expect Cardston and Magrath to be the Top 2, followed by LCI picking up the last spot. That being said a team like Raymond could upset a team to make provincials however the Top 3 teams going in are quite clear. Med Hat is hosting so they will be in provincials, probably a low seed considering they haven't produced good results this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
No one

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:53 am

Very interesting results in Calgary:
LBP beat McNally
SWC beat Lacombe
Western beat Mary's

First Round Predictions:

BOB vs. (WA/Cent) - I think it will be very close between Aberhart and Centennial but I definitely do not see an upset against BOB here (Centennial did only lose to BOB by 9 but I don't know if it was close or not)

Lacombe vs. (Mary's/CH) - Mary's should win but they are like LCI in that they have a high ceiling but also can play down to the competition. If Mary's wins, this will be super tight, honestly I think Mary's will beat Lacombe because they match up well and Lacombe has shown in the past that they don't perform well in playoffs despite their talent.

SWC vs. (EM/Francis) - Seeding can go either way, if Francis wins, I don't see them beating SWC. If EM wins, there is a very slight possibility that they can pull off the upset (EM has beaten SWC in a exhibition game, in league they were tied at half but then got blown out).

Western vs. (BM/FL) - McNally should beat Forest Lawn. Western and McNally will be a super close game, I honestly have no idea who will win. Both teams are guard orientated and can shoot the 3 so it might come down to who is hot. If I had to pick, it would be McNally because they have proven time and time again, they show up in the playoffs.

Second Round Predictions:

BOB vs. Mary's/Lacombe - It won't be a blow out but I think BOB should win either fairly comfortably or in a close game. I trust them to win it all in Calgary.

SWC vs. Western/BM - If BM beats Western, I pick them to beat SWC as they are more reliable and proven. If Western wins, I pick SWC to win because Western struggles against size.

Finals Prediction:

BOB vs. SWC/Western/BM - BOB is the best team in Calgary and I don't expect them to lose. They have the perfect balance of guard play, size, bench play and coaching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:42 am

Results in Calgary last night show that this year anyone can beat anyone on any given night. I think home court advantage will be everything in the playoffs.I still feel anyone of four teams {BOB,Lacombe,SWC,McNally} can win the city. In Edmonton Ainlay is still the class of the North. I don't see that changing and they should easily win Edmonton. I had thought Cardston was the team to beat in the South but with their loss to Magrath, I think this zone will be a toss up between the two. Does anyone know if Cardstons big man is still injured? That might make all the difference in the zone playoff. As usual the next few weeks will be a ton of fun to watch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

Aball wrote:
Results in Calgary last night show that this year anyone can beat anyone on any given night. I think home court advantage will be everything in the playoffs.I still feel anyone of four teams {BOB,Lacombe,SWC,McNally} can win the city.  In Edmonton Ainlay is still the class of the North. I don't see that changing and they should easily win Edmonton. I had thought Cardston was the team to beat in the South but with their loss to Magrath, I think this zone will be a toss up between the two. Does anyone know if Cardstons big man is still injured? That might make all the difference in the zone playoff. As usual the next few weeks will be a ton of fun to watch!

Cardston's big was injured and not available to play in their recent loss to Magrath. Having said that, even with him playing, Cardston's wins over Magrath have been very close and competitive games. Assuming both teams arrive in the zone final it should be a very competitive game. Cardston will likely play LCI in the semi final. Recent results would suggest that Cardston should win that game, but LCI could surprise them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Certainly a huge victory by Churchill last night. They pretty much locked up their provincial birth now while St.Mary's now has a tough path. Should be good game between Western and McNally as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Calgary boys:
BoB vs Abe/Cen: Should be Abe facing BoB, but it won't matter. BoB will cruise.
Western vs McNally/FL: McNally will beat Western. More athletic.
SWC vs Francis/Manning: I figure it'll be Francis. They always play well against SWC, but will fall short this year.
Lacombe vs Mary's/CH: Crescent could upset Mary's, but Mary's should win. Lacombe will just win.

BoB vs Lacombe: Two top teams. Really tough game. Coin flip?
SWC vs McNally: I actually like McNally.

Finals
BoB/Lacombe vs McNally: Winner of BoB/Lacombe SF will win this.

Provincial spots:
No surprises. SWC, BoB, Lacombe, McNally.

Calgary girls:

Carroll vs Grandin: Carroll easily.
Western vs Abe: Abe has actually impressed me more than Western of late. Abe.
Mary's vs Francis: These teams match well. Mary's by a hair.
Cent vs Thirsk: Blowout for Centennial

Carroll vs Abe - Carroll will cruise.
Cent vs Mary's - Centennial

Carroll vs Centennial - I still like Centennial, but Carroll has stepped up recently. Still, I'm picking the 'upset'. Centennial.

Provincial spots:
Carroll, Centennial, Mary's, Abe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 pm

In Edmonton, Ainlay cruised to a 51 pt win over Shep in the Final. Although they will be #2 going into provincials (if BOB wins Calgary), they have to be the favourite going in. In girls SACHS managed to get the win in JP's gym, will be interesting to see the provincial seedings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: City/Zone Playoffs   

Back to top Go down

City/Zone Playoffs
Page 1 of 1