HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys Provincials 2018

Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldman

PostSubject: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 am

Just thought I'd create a thread for Boy's Provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:44 pm

Med Hat just beat St. Mary's. 76-65
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:14 pm

Ainlay has looked really good so far at provincials
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:06 pm

The correct team won. I felt that Ainlay was the top team all year and it proved out at the provincial championships. A shout out to BOB as they had a fine team but Ainlay was as good as I have seen in quite a few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:23 pm

That Ainlay team was something else... Big, athletic, talented & deep.

However, it does raise the question of boundaries. Ainlay's volleyball, basketball & football dominated this year. I wonder how far across Edmonton those boys come from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:55 pm

EPSB uses an open boundary system in which the parents and students can choose a school together. Consequently, many good athletes go to Ainlay from all over the city which is well within the rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:58 pm

The problem isn't rule breaking. The problem is the difference in rules between Edmonton and Calgary. Edmonton kids have free school choice and Calgary kids do not. Some Calgary kids manage to move schools, but it is difficult. The other rule difference that has an impact is that Edmonton schools (and all other non-Calgary schools) can start practicing when the ASAA rules say at the beginning of November. The CSHSAA doesn't let basketball teams start practicing for several weeks after the ASAA rules would allow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:36 pm

trifecta3 wrote:
The problem isn't rule breaking.  The problem is the difference in rules between Edmonton and Calgary.  Edmonton kids have free school choice and Calgary kids do not.  Some Calgary kids manage to move schools, but it is difficult.  The other rule difference that has an impact is that Edmonton schools (and all other non-Calgary schools) can start practicing when the ASAA rules say at the beginning of November.  The CSHSAA doesn't let basketball teams start practicing for several weeks after the ASAA rules would allow.

I know they're not breaking any rules. Edmonton doesn't have the boundaries between schools. There's a select few schools that build dominant programs (see Jasper Place for Girls). I don't blame Ainlay for making the best of what they've got, and half the time, it's not the school recruiting, it's the athletes seeking them out. I just wonder if this is the best way to go. I may perhaps post this in another forum to see what you guys think...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Provincials 2018   

Back to top Go down

4A Boys Provincials 2018
Page 1 of 1