HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

School Boundaries

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Doesn't the Catholic school system in Calgary allow open boundaries for sports? I know that in Football there is an open boundary policy for the Catholic schools, which leads to the powerhouses of Notre Dame and St Francis (which has been mentioned earlier in this forum).

If it's a yes, then I don't think Calgary is much different than Edmonton other than that more "Star Athletes" are collecting to one specific school. Sure the Centennial girls are powerhouses, not denying that. But on the boys side of things, every provincials, Calgary might have one public school make provincials every other year, while the other berths are given to the Catholic schools. It might not be as heavy on the "Stars getting together at this specific school" compared to Harry Ainlay, but if there's open boundaries, then I don't think it's fair to say what's been said about Ainlay when I would bet that these schools in Calgary are having/doing it as well to some degree.

Just asking for clarity

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anonymous223

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:26 am

123456 wrote:
Doesn't the Catholic school system in Calgary allow open boundaries for sports? I know that in Football there is an open boundary policy for the Catholic schools, which leads to the powerhouses of Notre Dame and St Francis (which has been mentioned earlier in this forum).

If it's a yes, then I don't think Calgary is much different than Edmonton other than that more "Star Athletes" are collecting to one specific school. Sure the Centennial girls are powerhouses, not denying that. But on the boys side of things, every provincials, Calgary might have one public school make provincials every other year, while the other berths are given to the Catholic schools. It might not be as heavy on the "Stars getting together at this specific school" compared to Harry Ainlay, but if there's open boundaries, then I don't think it's fair to say what's been said about Ainlay when I would bet that these schools in Calgary are having/doing it as well to some degree.

Just asking for clarity

The catholic schools do not have open boundaries.  Students just register for programs not offered at there designated school such as AP or IB.  This way they can say they went to an out of boundary school for academic reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:45 am

Calgary does not have an open boundary system with the 2 major school division. The independent, private schools do but that's not relevant to 4A and is the case everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am

My apologies, I was under the impression from some people I know in Calgary that made it sound like the Catholic system had open boundaries. Thanks for clarifying for me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Just to provide some #s to the "open boundaries" debate.  Last year, Jasper Place senior women had 6 of their 11 players residing OUTSIDE of Edmonton.  This year, I believe  the breakdown of their roster is below and has 7 of their 12 residing OUTSIDE of Edmonton (not 100% sure every location is accurate, but most can be easily confirmed by looking on BA websites) --- approx 13/23 of JPs players in the last 2 seasons have not even lived in the City of Edmonton, let alone the school boundaries in the city-- so a school that already has 2450 of its own students to choose from,  now has students coming from all over the place to play ball there...Although not quite as bad, SACHS senior women have multiple athletes travelling into St. Albert every day to play. There are other schools who have this happening too, just not as blatantly.  It is a compliment to these programs that this is happening, but it also raises some ethical questions and has some people wondering about the student-athletes that live in the school catchments that would have made these teams, but have been left off as the pipeline of Basketball Alberta players continues to flow into these programs. Also, some of the programs that would have had these athletes, go from being provincial contenders to fighting for mediocrity. On the other hand, I understand the argument that a talented athlete wants to play in  top-level program.... I wonder if anything will change this trend where all of the top end athletes travel to a handful of programs?

Huang Julia   2      EDMONTON
Asuncion Alex 3     EDMONTON
Thera Brianna 4     EDMONTON
Menssa Dzerika 5   BEAUMONT
Rinksy Jenna   6     LEDUC
Stephenson Larissa 7  LEDUC
Karach Jenna 8       SHERWOOD PARK
Nadeau Dani 11       EDMONTON
Toogood Elise 12      DEVON
Fedick Haley 13      SHERWOOD PARK
McLaren Alex 14      EDMONTON
Plouffe Kaylee 15     SHERWOOD PARK
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   Yesterday at 12:23 pm

Here is some data on Calgary school enrolment. It suggests that some high school boundaries will be changed or special programs will be moved. This could affect basketball programs at some schools.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/up-to-40-cbe-schools-over-capacity-as-enrolment-rises-in-lower-grades
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Boundaries   

Back to top Go down

School Boundaries
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2