HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
New_Guy22

PostSubject: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm

November 1st is around the corner.

What does everyone predict for boys and girls city/zone championships for South, Edmonton and Calgary? Who will be in the provincial semi finals? finals? Who will win it all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:30 pm

For Edmonton girls I’d say

Sachs
JP
PK
Sal
Scona
I’m from the Edmonton area so I don’t know much about the rest of Calgary or the south just that bc should be top in Calgary and magrath and lci should slug it out for top in the south.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Top 4A boys programs for this year should be Ainlay in Edmonton, Obyrne in Calgary, and the usual toss up in the deep South between Cardston, Raymond, and Magrath. LCI will not be in the mix as they graduated too many strong seniors. Any wildcards out there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: south    Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:32 pm

here are my thoughts on the Boys in the south this year
1 Cardston have what I think is the best player in Barfuss kid this year very good guard play little weak in post play jv team won league should be the best contender to win whole thing
2 Raymond lost two good posts but return 3 starters who where in grade 10 last year add the best south player in grade 10 in Harker kid top six should be good and all should be back next year I think they will be top ten this year defence is the question.
3 LCI lose the MVP in Evans but bring back Isiah Bagnah who is really tough very good jv team should have one of the better post duos in Bagnah and Procee should be about as good as last year I think
4 Magrath Stock kid should be good might have two grade 10 start this year I am pretty sure about 1 in Tollestrup weak guard play not really any depth way behide top 3 and am really unsure that they finish this high
5 CCH still have Gibb kid and if they still have the same coach will be a tough out just not much depth in team or talent in jv.
6 Chinook good group of grade 11 might do better but I have to see it to believe it with them.
7 med hat should be better return a lot of last year team tough post in Gosse kid not sure about the rest of the team
8 Churchill lose a fair amount from last year I think this is the worst team in south but really 4 through 8 is unsure in my mind anything could happen in that group
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: south    Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:51 pm

for girls this is how I see the south ending up
1 Magrath lose MVP and another starter but return everybody else last year should be deep with some height and among the best guard combos in Wilde sisters and Payne girl Karren coaching again should be a contender to win the whole thing
2 LCI should be really good Heggie is back and good joined by Nelson Hall and smith will be a tough out in any game worried about the inside play offence and defence but quite possible a top 5 team in province
3 Cardston still have some very good soild players some good guards and two good posts with Fox and Wolsey should be top 10
4 Med Hat young team last year should be better solid team should be physical team still and pretty deep not sure they have the top end talent to do better could be wrong might be a top 10 team
5 W R Myers have likely league MVP in sparks girl not a lot of help for her but not an issue for them as they are 3A should be best 3A team in province would be my guess
6 Raymond weak group of grade 12 not great 11's really good grade 10's might have more than 1 grade 10 start will have at least 1 would be my guess
7 CCH Collier girl is good team was bad last year don't think that it will be different this year
8 Chinook as bad as it sounds I don't see a way that they are better than the team last year
9 if Churchill has varsity team this is where they will be
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 am

I don't know why WR Myers would declare 3A. I think you have them under ranked. She is the best player in the province and I'd like that coach to believe in her and give her a platform to show everyone what she can do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Do you think Meyers will finish in the top 4 this year in the south league?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:03 pm

There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be able to with an experienced senior player of her size, athleticism, talent and unstoppable ability to put the ball in the basket. I'm not saying they're favourites to win the south but it is possible and a provincial berth is more than realistic. Give her a shot at it. By the declaration deadline, it should be obvious if the supporting cast can get the ball up the court and get it to her. If they're in a position to make a run at it, do it. They already won a 3A championship last year. I'd personally like to see them go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:47 pm

I have a few insights on the south that may or may not change opinions.

-Shae Gibb is in Raymond now. That will really help Raymond and really hurt CCH.
-Isiah Bagnah of LCI has multiple high level NCAA Div 1 football offers. Will he play basketball this year? If I'm him, I'm not risking a knee injury. Also, Procee is playing at a prep school in Calgary
-Magrath. Is the Stock kid going to be able to return this season? He was in that bad car accident I believe. If he can play, that is awesome.

On the girls side with Myers, they always go 3A and it's too bad the league doesn't do what they do on the boys side and make it a 4a league. The Sparks girl is very good, not best in the province good, but she is up there with the posts. The other thread kind of discusses this in that if she wanted the exposure, it may have been to her benefit to get to a school that gives her the best exposure. I like what Magrath did in going 4a last year. The south has to declare their intention before the season starts and doesn't have the luxury of seeing how good their team is prior to declaring 3a/4a
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 am

Who in 3A would give them any competition? I don't see it happening. Looking at the 3A provincials last year on the ASAA website, only a few teams had grade 11 heavy teams and look like they'll be good this year. McCoy definitely looks like they would be the best competition. Maybe these teams?

1. WR Myers
2. McCoy
3. Cochrane
4. Morinville
5. Sturgeon
6. Wetaskwin

Anyone who knows 3A girls in the province, please chime in. I just don't think WRM will get any competition. Declare 4A and make it interesting so us basketball fans get to see her play against top level competition when it matters most.

Last edited by 12321 on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:07 am

for girls 12321 you may be right but myers has for the most part just stayed 3a and with the current admin I would be shocked if they went 4a for example see boys
on the boys side I assume for LCI the big guy plays but if he chooses not to that really does change things and I didn't know about Procee leaving that is a big blow if Bagnah isn't playing then they join the muck. One thing is LCI does have a good group of grade 10 kids as Raymond Magrath LCI and Cardston were all good and about even in grade 9
Stock for magrath based on what I have heard will play arm in sling right now but is up and walking about town but and sorry I forgot to mention this earlier Magrath does have a new boys coach.
Gibb at Raymond if true and I am assuming it is would make raymond tougher and really loaded at guard and I would drop CCH down just on a lack of talent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

I don't know much about 3A or WR Myers, but the fact that she didn't transfer out of the school, says something about the kid and the family. If she's that good and she stayed she's obviously committed to the program. If I'm the admin/AD I'd ask her if she wants to compete if 4A. If she's that good and has done that much for the school and that's what she needs to try to get the big scholarship offer, I think I would oblige.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm

I know Kit and her family and they are great people. I’m not sure what she has for teammates tho. If winning a 4a title is the goal then she better have some great pieces around her. The top of the heap in 4a all have multiple provincial team players on their rosters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Even if Myers girls wanted to go 4A, I don't think the league would allow it unless they planned on staying in 4A for the long term. I heard a rumor that the south board is actually trying to push the Myers girls (in the past, any other team as well) out of 4A since they don't come for 4A zones. They want to make the league more exclusive to those that play 4A. Believe me, I would love to see the Myers girls competing 4A, as well as seeing the Myers boys come back to 4A. It would give the south zone a nicer mix.

Now like I said, it's a rumor and it could very well not be true and my intention is not to be "stirring the pot", I just felt like bringing it up because it might provide some sort of clarity to why Myers is how it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:52 pm

That wouldn't surprise me. They pushed WR Myers boys out of the league a few years ago because they wouldn't declare 4A. I was wondering when that same thing would impact the girls side. I'm not against it and its not a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Raymond    Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 am

Also found out that because of new westwind school policy Raymond will have a new head coach for the boys team. The rule is that you can't coach if you are the principal at the school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:40 pm

Lots of coaching changes in the south that could have an impact. Raymond, Magrath, CCHS and Cardston all have new coaches. Pretty sure LCI has a new/old coach (Jared Nelson) as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Oh something I heard and forgot was that Chinook will not have a varsity girls team this year just a jv team and churchill will indeed have a varsity team this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Yesterday at 2:55 pm

I've created a separate thread for 4A girls.

Let's keep this one 4A boys.

How much do you guys think the new 'prep' school will affect Div 1 Boys in Calgary? I heard Lacombe & Notre Dame both lost key players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedude

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Yesterday at 8:53 pm

I feel like will probably water down the level of play a little bit since many of these guys are going to Edge or other prep schools now, but hopefully there will still be some great competition within Calgary. But then again, I am quite new so I wouldn't know too much.

Who were the key players that Notre Dame and Lacombe lost? I know Manyang already graduated and is doing a post grad year at Edge, but who else did they lose?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calgary123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Today at 9:29 am

The prep schools have not had too much impact in Calgary. Edge's best players, for example, are guys who have already graduated high school. These prep schools (East and West) should focus on bridging the gap for players between high school and post secondary, in my opinion. The top schools in Calgary will be BOB, St. Mary's and Western. It will be interesting to see which team is the 4th. Remember last year when most people were predicting Lacombe, McNally and Notre Dame, none of which made it to the final 4. Cardston and Magrath are the teams to beat in the South. Ainlay, while not as dominant as they were last year, JP and Ross Shep will be the top teams in Edmonton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Today at 11:14 am

Yeah I think the south it Cardston and Raymond not Magrath this year Magrath just loses to much from last year team only one kid who got playing time is back this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    

Back to top Go down

4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions
Page 1 of 1