HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oldman

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

I like 4A boys ball in Calgary - apart from BoB, there's no real 'power' team, and on any given night, there can always be 'upsets'. I can't totally predict the standings, but the way I see it, the league is in tiers:

Tier 1
BoB - clearly the favourite, but not unbeatable.

Tier 2
McNally - Building on last year, solid depth.
Western - Same as McNally, better guard play.
Mary's - Top end talent, but not the same depth as McNally
Lacombe - Wild card. Tonnes of talent, but can be unfocused. Could upset BoB, and the lose to a lower team.

Tier 3
Churchill - Could jump up a tier.
ND
Centennial
Aberhart
Pearson
Crescent Heights
Manning

Tier 4
Francis - Could jump up a tier
Grandin
Scarlett
Thirsk
I have no idea about Shubert & All Saints. Both brand new schools.

My guess:

North:
1. McNally
2. Lacombe
3. Churchill
4. ND
5. Pearson
6. Abe
7. Crescent
8. Francis
9. Thirsk

South:
1. BoB
2. Western
3. Mary's
4. Centennial
5. Manning
6. All Saints
7. Grandin
8. Schubert
9. Scarlett

BoB will win cities over McNally.

BoB, McNally, Western & Mary's will go to provincials, with a chance for Lacombe or maybe Churchill.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calgary123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Great post 'oldman'. I completely agree with your observations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TedV

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:53 pm

Are there no boundaries in the South League? How did the Gibb boy transfer from Catholic Central to Raymond?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Medicine Hat appears to have made quite a bit of improvement from last year as well. I wouldn't say they are a title threat but in the conversation for provincial spots from the South. Finished 4th at Mike Dea Invitational with close loss to the hosts, and yesterday took down LCI by 15.

With regards to Gibb, he switched school districts (From Holy Spirit to Westwind) completely so not really sure. In Lethbridge (to the best of my knowledge) there are fixed borders for LSD 51 in which students attend Chinook if they are from West Lethbridge, Churchill in North Lethbridge, and LCI in South Lethbridge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GoKnights

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Yesterday at 12:12 pm

Looking at the results of Totem Hoop a little surprised to see Edmonton Christian over Shep in the Final. Christian also beat Foothills in the semis. Is EC solid this year or is it a down year for Shep?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    Yesterday at 2:42 pm

GoKnights wrote:
Looking at the results of Totem Hoop a little surprised to see Edmonton Christian over Shep in the Final. Christian also beat Foothills in the semis. Is EC solid this year or is it a down year for Shep?

I would say the answer to your question is "both".  EC has a good PG (Beefus) that can get into the lane and create open 3s for team mates, and a couple of decent supporting players.  EC play a combination of unconventional zone defences which some athletic teams struggle with. Shep played several of its young players big minutes in the totem hoop final.  EC is strong for a small school, and Shep is not as strong as they sometimes are.  I suspect if these 2 teams played again in 2 months, Shep would win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions    

Back to top Go down

4A Basketball 2018-19 High School Predictions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2