HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Pre-Season Tournaments

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: Pre-Season Tournaments   Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:01 pm

You usually get a pretty good feel for top teams in the province after the first weekend of tourneys are finished. Edmonton usually kicks off with the Mike D, Calgary with the District 4, and I'm not sure if anything runs in the South. Anyone have comments on what is running this year and which teams are going to come out on top?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Sachs and jp are heading down to the d4 next weekend to join chestermere, bc and western. No centennial tho. Should be a good indicator of what the top will look like from edm and calg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:12 pm

The D4 bracket - http://d4invitational.com/brackets.html

Boys - With McNally, Mary's, ND, LCI, Churchill, Lacombe & Western, there's quite a few strong teams. No BoB, Ainlay or any teams from the south, however...

I'm predicting a Mary's/Lacombe vs Churchill/Western final. I know. I hedged my bets.

Girls - Even better draw. Francis, Carroll, JP, Mary's, Western & SACHS could all be in provincials. Chestemere has had some strong 3A teams before, and Mt. Baker sometimes can do well in these Alberta tournaments. Most interesting will be Semiahmoo from Surrey. They've been a powerhouse in BC, and they come with a good young team.

I'm predicting a Semiahmoo vs JP final. Sorry SACHS.

Both draws will tell us a lot about 4A ball, especially in Calgary. It's also fun to attend - the NE kids make the crowds electric, especially if a host team is playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldman

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 pm

oldman wrote:
The D4 bracket - http://d4invitational.com/brackets.html

Boys - With McNally, Mary's, ND, LCI, Churchill, Lacombe & Western, there's quite a few strong teams.  No BoB, Ainlay or any teams from the south, however...

I'm predicting a Mary's/Lacombe vs Churchill/Western final.  I know.  I hedged my bets.

Girls - Even better draw.  Francis, Carroll, JP, Mary's, Western & SACHS could all be in provincials.  Chestemere has had some strong 3A teams before, and Mt. Baker sometimes can do well in these Alberta tournaments.  Most interesting will be Semiahmoo from Surrey.  They've been a powerhouse in BC, and they come with a good young team.

I'm predicting a Semiahmoo vs JP final.  Sorry SACHS.

Both draws will tell us a lot about 4A ball, especially in Calgary.  It's also fun to attend - the NE kids make the crowds electric, especially if a host team is playing.

Kudos to McNally (winners) & Western. Can anyone shed some light on how the boys' side went? Are Mary's/SWC/Lacombe not as good as last year, or was there something about the game (missing player, fouls, etc...) that explains a loss? Were McNally & Western that good?

For the girls, it's pretty clear that Semiahmoo was a notch above. Carroll didn't have Yvonne Ejim for their game against JP, but they handled SACHS (missing players?) & Francis pretty easily. How did Western & SACHS look against the Surrey team? How did Mary's look against JP?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Semiahmoo was really good. I think they beat jp by 30 in the final. Very hard to match up with. I think at one point they had 4 players on the court over 6 feet. The sachs bc third place game was a tale of a team who plays only zone vs a team who 5 players have never played against zone. Not a real true reading of the strength of either program. Yvonne is a game breaker though. At the hs level there was s no one better in ab.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:10 pm

[quote="Gohawksgo"]The sachs bc third place game was a tale of a team who plays only zone vs a team who 5 players have never played against zone. Not a real true reading of the strength of either program.[/quote]

How do you have a team that gets to that point and has never played against a zone? Spring leagues, Team Alberta, previous school teams, even the 3 games before the 3rd place game? Never in practice? 70 practices in a season for SACHS according to the article posted by a different SACHS-loyal hoop life user and it just hasn't come up yet? The number 1 team in the pre-season power rankings by yet another different SACHS-loyal hoop life user and they've never, ever played against a zone defence. Not a true reading because they've never, ever played against zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gohawksgo

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:02 pm

@calgary hoops , did you watch the game? These two teams are way closer than the score showed. If a coach has to resort to playing zone for a whole tourney ( preseason I might add) he deserves the bronze for his efforts . Zone defence is chicken shit at best and hampers player development at worst. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did this all year . Nice to dedicate a whole season to “grinding games out”.
To beat a zone effectively you need chemistry and patience. A young team has neither. It’ll be closer next time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:16 am

[quote="Gohawksgo"]@calgary hoops , did you watch the game? These two teams are way closer than the score showed. If a coach has to resort to playing zone for a whole tourney ( preseason I might add) he deserves the bronze for his efforts . Zone defence is chicken shit at best and hampers player development at worst. I wouldn’t be surprised if he did this all year . Nice to dedicate a whole season to “grinding games out”.
To beat a zone effectively you need chemistry and patience. A young team has neither. It’ll be closer next time[/quote]

I did not. TBH I'm not that interested in girls basketball although I find I'm becoming more interested as a result of the posts on this forum. All I know is the results and what you and other users have posted on the topic. You do sound a bit bitter about the game. Suggesting it should be purely developmental is an interesting take. Do tournaments not count towards a provincial ranking? Do tournaments like these not provide provincial rankers with a "good indicator of what the top will look like from edm and calg"?

BC sounds like they're trying to win games. Everyone knows the BC girl's program plays zone much like everyone knows Jim Boeheim teams play zone. And that its unbearable to watch. And that they're both relatively good at it. And they win games because of it. Isn't winning the end objective of both high school varsity level basketball and NCAA basketball?

What you need to do is better prepare your players to beat it. And to defend them better because they managed to score enough on your man d to win by a lot. Is it possible that the BC coaches did a better job preparing their players than the SACHS coaches did? Sometimes its better to say, "They beat us. Full credit to them. We'll prepare better next time and hopefully change the results based on our hard work and merit." That might also show a little more sportsmanship than getting on this forum and typing out sanctimonious BS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefferlum

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Gohawksgo - for clarity, even though BC is very strong, they are not deep. They have 6 players and it drops off. With that said, they don't play zone all the time against everyone. I can see how you may think that if you watched them play SACHS but the reality is they don't. Calgary-hoops, I agree with your position. The season has started and provincial rankings are important. That may have been a preview of the championship game.

I have no doubt John will have his team better prepared the next time they play. I do think however, we should be criticizing these coaches. Gohawksgo comment about he wouldn't be surprised if he ran a zone all year is just a petty comment. Same coach for years and no, he doesn't play zone all year. Either way... it's going to be a good season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Season Tournaments   

Back to top Go down

Pre-Season Tournaments
Page 1 of 1