HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A Girls Basketball

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Rock

PostSubject: 3A Girls Basketball   Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

Does anyone know anything about who are the top teams in girls 3A basketball in the province? It looks like Edmonton may be on a bit of a down year compared to the rest of the province so just wondering who the favourites are?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:04 am

from what I have seen so far myers from Taber should win it easily this year as they have played a bunch of the 4A teams really tough and might get ranked in the top 10 in 4A sparks girl should be to tough for any of the other teams in 3A this year not sure what the rest of the province has churchill girls are bad though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:43 pm

There was an earlier post about Taber. 100% agree that WR Myers should walk away with 3A provincials again without even being tested. Sparks will be unstoppable and I personally think she's the biggest difference maker in the province with all respect to Ejim at Bishop Carroll. Without digging too deeply I'd say that Cochrane and Morinville bring back almost their entire rosters on teams that finished 5th and 6th at provincials respectively last year just going off the provincial results so my guess is that they should be top 3 in the first ranking. McCoy has a great girls program year after year and Janice will have them back in the top 5. I'll check out some scores and give you some more details of what I think. TBH this isn't a big topic of conversation so I can see why you're asking. 3A does get lost. 3A girls more so. ASAA website has wiped out rankings for last year for all tiers so I don't have a comparison. Why do you think Edmonton is weaker than normal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Another question is why did Winston Churchill girls come back into the Southern Alberta league this year? Those are not good games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Churchill was in league last year just didn't have varsity team last year in girls. That was why they had the jv girls in the league last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rock

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 pm

@12321 Just observation. SPA is still the top team by far but they're a bit younger, less experienced this year, no longer playing Div 1 and other teams have simply declined. SPA will still be near the top but they may be the only top 10 team out of Edmonton ranked for the entire year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rock

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:00 pm

SPA and Sturgeon out of Edmonton again this year. No one else close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:05 pm

With all due respect? I've watched both Ejim and Sparks play. Ejim is way better. No question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 am

I haven't seen Ejim so I'll take your word for it. Doesn't change anything for WR Myers.

I looked at 3A girls scores. That's going to be a mess to sort through. I think its because the scores are generally low that unexpected results happen more often. Rankers will have to use some of the 4A rural schools to get a common opponents gauge. I still plan to sort through it and post something. I think 1 and 2 will be WR Myers and McCoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

We can agree on that. I also agree those 4A schools outside of Edmonton, Calgary and the South 4A league are key to being able to rank 3A. Boys or girls. They're often the tie between areas. I also agree on the unexpected results of 3A girls due to lower scores. Often teams are only a few scores behind even when it feels like the game is out of reach.

Admittedly I don't watch much girls but more this year than ever before because I have a niece in who plays south of the city. I've been to a few games and I can tell you that area is very competitive between the girls teams. HTA, Highwood, Foothills, Strathmore, and even McCoy fit into that little pocket where they play each other often. They all win and lose to each other and they played some teams from Edmonton and north of the city so you have some comparisons. Myers 1? Sure. McCoy 2? I'm not so sure.

For example. Games of note:

HTA beat McCoy by 2, Foothills by 10 and then lost to Foothills by 1. They beat Strathmore by 1 and lost to Highwood by 3. That tells me all 5 teams are very close.

Foothills beat Leduc by 9, loses to McCoy by 19.

Highwood loses to Strathmore by 9 and 3 but beats HTA by 3.

Strathmore beats Highwood twice, loses a 1 pt game to HTA, beats Beaumont by 13 but loses to Cochrane by 23 and Bow Valley by 10.

If you dig deeper there is more comparisons:

Leduc beats St Joseph High School Red Deer by 4. Ardrossan by 25. Leduc plays in the Edmonton Metro league and are in the middle of Division 1. There are no Edmonton 3A teams in Division 1. The best Edmonton team is St Peter the Apostle who is leading Division 2.

St Joesph Red Deer has a 20 point win over HTA in addition to the 4 pt loss to Leduc. Its comparison to other teams who have played other teams but the comparison looks good for them. They're 10-2 with 2 close losses to 4A teams. Perhaps some weaker competition is in their schedule but also some good wins. Its hard not to put them up near the top. Maybe behind McCoy but they also beat the team by 20 that McCoy lost to. Just because they haven't been a top team in the past doesn't mean they aren't right now.

I'm told Canmore has good team but they only have a couple of scores where they lost to Cochrane by 20 and Bow Valley by 22. Cochrane and Bow Valley seem to be the 2 teams everyone wants to beat in the area just outside of Calgary.

I get that teams will have an unexpected loss that is clearly an outlier as someone suggested. McCoy losing to HTA could be one of those as it looks like they could be 15 points better. Bow Valley has a lot of wins and their only loss is to Beaumont even though comparison scores put them at 20 points better. Strathmore looks to be back of Cochrane and Bow Valley but probably not 23 points worth as their scores would suggest.

I will agree that its complicated but patterns evolve. Then if you go north and start comparing Wetaskiwin, St Peter the Apostle, Sturgeon, Morinville you find a similar pattern of winning and losing to each other. Hopefully there is a connection to the south in the next ranking to tie the 2 areas together.

Morinville loses to Blessed Oscar Romero. I'd call that another outlier. Morinville beats Westaskwin by 3 and Sturgeon by 9. They have a lot of wins and a 3 loss season. I'd put them at the top of the Edmonton area.

St Peter the Apostle has a 27 pt win over Sturgeon, a 4 point win over Sturgeon and a 8 point loss to Wetaskiwin. I'd put them second in Edmonton area.

Wetaskiwin has a 3 pt loss to Sturgeon, a 3 point loss to Morinville and an 8 point win over St Peter. I'd put them 3rd.

Sturgeon I'd put 4th.

Tie them all together and I see this:

1. WR Myers
2. St Joseph Red Deer
4. McCoy
5. Morinville
6. Cochrane
7. Bow Valley
8. St Peter the Apostle
9. Strathmore
10. Wetaskiwin

HM Sturgeon, Highwood, maybe Canmore if they had more scores or Brooks. Oscar Romero. Not sure who else.

Last edited by calgary-hoops on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rock

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Impressively detailed. Thanks. That's what I was looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cochrane

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Canmore was in our home tournament. They beat Sir Winston Churchill 56-50 and Beaumont 53-49 before losing to Cochrane 57-37.

Last edited by Cochrane on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm

I'd put McCoy ahead of St Joseph and even Morinville and Cochrane ahead of St Joseph but it looks good to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:33 pm

@calgary hoops More than a few misses. You showed your work well though. Interested to hear why you think the rankings are so different.

@The Rock That's a lot of sandbagging to come from a rock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Rock

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Haha. Not sandbagging in any way. SPA is not nearly as good as last years team that should have won provincials. They were considerably better than Myers and had some bad luck in the finals otherwise we'd be talking about SPA defending the championship and not Myers. They did lose a lot to graduation including a lot of height but is it possible the rest of the province is not as good either?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A Girls Basketball   

Back to top Go down

3A Girls Basketball
Page 1 of 1