HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

two 8th places

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
student

PostSubject: two 8th places   Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 am

above or below expectations? what about the 6th places?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:31 pm

The 8th places I think are definetly below expectations, the whole drinking and 6 players off U17 really screwed over there chances. Watching some games previous to the dissmissal of 6 players and the games played at nationals, I think they would have had a good run at a medal, but this is just speculation and one never knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 pm

I think it's fair to say 8th is below everyone's expectations. Players and coaches included. There were a lot of factors but once again both the U17 & U15 boy's teams have multiple games where they shoot 20-some percent for the game, even close games.

For example...NB U17 boys missed a foul shot that would have tied the game at 50 late in the 3rd quarter against Ontario. At that point the game looked more like a rock fight than a basketball game. NB was shooting only 23% but physically dominating Ontario with tough defense. Then Ontario went small to speed up the game and NB's shooting percentage dropped into the teens in the 4th. The NB U15 boys lost their round robin game to Sask U15 by 2 pts while shooting 28%. Lost to PEI in the round robin by 5 pts while shooting 24%. In the PEI game scoring for NB by quarter was 12, 8, 12 and 8.

One thing people don't seem to understand is that by game #2 at Nationals everyone knows your team's sets and the player's strengths. For the NB U15 boys we were post oriented so we faced sagging man-to-man all week. Teams were daring us to score from anywhere but the post.

Although the NB U15 finished at 1-5 for 8th place, there was a lot of positive things to take away from how they played in the final 3 placement games.
- Perimeters players finally figured out how to play with a dominate post player
- Post players started to figure out how to find teammates when doubled
- They out rebounded their opponents (+15, +2 & +9)
- Shooting percentage increased in each of the final 3 games (24%, 33% & 42%)
- Man-to-man defense was good despite being 3rd tallest team in U15 tournament

Unfortunately we'll never know how well the 2010 U17 team could have done but I think it's safe to say losing the players they did was a major factor. As for the U15 boys they now have two years to address the weaknesses that were exposed (lack of perimeter shooting, problems handling physical play, transition defense).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't think anyone from the fans, to the coaches to BNB can say that 8th even 6th place finishes were meeting expectations. I do think it matters what expectations we had for these teams, but when do we come up with these expectations and what we do as a province in supporting these goals are also issues.

Lets go all the way back to tryouts.

Did all of our teams get the best talent out there? No, but I think every province would have at least one player they would like to have but don't.

I do look at the initial lineups on these teams and see missing pieces that could/should? have been playing. Not because they were cut mind you, but because playing for their province wasn't a priority or financial realities. Then you add in players who couldn't because of commitments or injuries. Combine that with the lack of financial support from our provincial government for athletes and coaches to travel and train. I'm not sure these teams were all as strong as they could have been. When does this allow our expectations change?

Going into August:

Kids have been removed. Kids have decided to not play. Who and how are we replacing them? Do expectations change now?

Now lets go into the non summer months:

- If you look at the stats, you will find that in most games even the loses. NB through tough defense and good teammwork took more shots then the opposition. Some times 20+ more shots, yet sub 30 % shooting from the floor and 3 pt line doesn't allow us to win games we need/want to to advance. At this level our kids need to be able to execute skills and speed, and make jump shots/pull ups/ creative finishes at high speed vs. high levels of challenge and contact. Yet in our club/school teams our gets get most of their points on uncontested layups, and open jump shots. In mini and middle school points get scored by the getting fast break layups off turnovers and teams running offenses until they get layup or interior finish for a player who can finish inside. In high school teams play better m2m or zone up and ball handling improves, but most team defenses are happy to have your 3rd , 4th or 5th option shooting jumpshots and your 1st and 2nd option taking contested shots. Most offenses are content to have their best player attacking the interior with a favorable matchup and then depending on 1 or 2 other scoring options and/ trusting that their best attacking players will end up at the foul line

If you look at the teams that won the NBIAA provincials this Feb. I feel its fair to say in at least 3 of 4 cases (I apologize for not being more familiar with AA girls teams province wide) the teams that won had as many ,if not more, players who could make consistently make shots from the perimeter then anyone else in their leagues. Yet the majority of other teams that I see play aren't playing to get jump shots or even encouraging the open players on their teams shoot it. When does our expectation for our province to do better going to be reflected in the time, tactics, and coaching of the majority of our athletes with a priority on offensive fundamentals and not on tactics to win games. We can see from the stats what they issues are, when is it going to be a priority to change to meet expectation rather then simply complaining when we don't?

Now that I've rambled let me sum up:

- Did they meet expectation this year? NO.
- Were their factors contributing to the lack of success? Yes

1) Specific to this year, teams not having the best talent available or them not being able to play.
2) Ongoing factor is our kids ability to shoot and score the ball vs high levels of pressure, physical defense at speed that need to be addressed before we can consistently meet high expectations.

Last edited by CoachDJR on Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:32 pm

thanks for the insight. sounds like an overall positive experience. would have liked to see that ont game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:44 pm

Play of the game vs Ontario U17...Zac Chambers (KVHS) puts an Ontario guard in a head-lock and pulls him to the floor WWE style. No call!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: two 8th places   Today at 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down

two 8th places
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1