HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Upcoming season

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gobirds

PostSubject: Upcoming season   Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:55 pm

The season is getting closer as we are now almost in September. Any teams looking good this summer?
Any players noticeably progressed?
Any transfers?

Give me your thoughts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraserballer

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 am

The 3 most dominant teams will be
South, yale, van college
No transfers this year that i have heard of
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 am

Argyle has to be up there with Yale, South Kam & VC, they have 2 new transfers a guy from Australia and Keelan Wild from Sutherland who was on the U16 Provincial team and also they have Wes Dekkler a U17 Provincial teamer.

B. South is going to be a sleeper, you never know who is going to end up over there. Also Dover on the Island may surprise some people.

What about Palmer they have 3 U17 Provincial teamers and their U15 Provincial teamer might be playing senior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Yeah. It could very well be South's year (and perhaps next year too). They've got talent at all the positions. They just need to gel like a team and be disciplined. Otherwise it'll be an all star team formed at a drop in session at Bonsor.

I like Argyle to be competitive and their big man KW - best grade 11 from the North Shore by far. However, lack of experience and relying on a grade 11 to carry the load is too much to ask.

Yale will be very tough. Talented, experienced, and great coaching and program.

VC has good talent and program but karma (recruiting or fast tracking transfers?) seems to always get in the way - should be competitive though.

Palmer should be fun to watch. Lots of talent, experience, history, and licking their wounds from losing AA last year. If they can figure a way to neutralize other teams big men, they have a shot at the whole thing.

It'll be another interesting year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baseline1

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:44 am

5 top teams

1. Van College - deeper with experience and transfers
2. Burnaby South - experience at the show and deep. Could go all the way if Ater plays team game and big man plays big
3. Kits - Very athletic with a Europeon flavor. Missing the provincials last year will make them hungry
4. Terry Fox - deep, experienced, well balanced, well coached. I like their guards in McDonald and Hind. May be the best defensive team in the province. Only team to come close to beating Yale last year legitamatly.
5. Palmer - Hey only AA last year but they made it to the last day. Have some very talented players. Can Billy become a tough hard nosed player that can go to the next level?

HM

Gleneagle - Small but fiesty
Pitt - Williams and some young juniors from last year will make them a tough draw
Kelowna - transfers and some good young talent. Will have their hands full with Kamloops
Mouat - Big and leaderless. Need some leadership from someone. Have the size but can they find a point guard and get over the Yale monster.
Yale - Is their dominence over? Young, small and not deep with seniors. Have two dominant athletic provincial team players though, can Blackman and Luyken keep their heads and ego's in check
WRC - Hey their always defensively gritty. But may be the schools weakest team in the last 10 years
Burn Creek - They'll beat you up, and down. They play agressive and can score, Best will have them playing well by the end of the season.
South Kam - A new cycle with a talented group of youth.
Walnut Grove - Larry boy and youth will be tough
Dover Bay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gobirds

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:29 am

That is a good overview of the teams.

What transfers does van college have that makes them a threat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller1000

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:08 pm

none
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Two teams I like are:

Burnaby South:
Very athletic team combined with skill. Daniel Edwards controls the boards. Ater is very very solid, as is Nick Irvine. Manroop can finish at the basket and from outside. Jon needs his touches too. I realized there is a lot of skill and talent on this team. Talent wise, they should be in the Provincial Finals. Might be tough to get there though. They're very individualistic players.

Argyle:
Tall athletic team. Have 2 new players. Kealan Wild from Sutherland and a very strong PG from Brazil. Kealan is long and will definitely be a bigger factor on the defensive end. The Brazilian PG has a nice touch and very good dribbling skills. Wes is very streaky but a Provincial Player. Nik Ottenbriet is a former provincial player but hasn't improved much but still solid defensively. Cole Faminoff is a very underrated Grade 11 and will compete for a spot on next years Provincial Team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Vc , Palmer , south
Vc , best chemistry of any team they work hard and can play inside and out
palmer got the 3 provincial players nd Hare who will come in nd grab every board in his path
south athletic and has a good inside game with edwards and irvine nd with ater running the point they should be good
other teams
pitt , yale , argyle , kits - not in that order same with the top 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops-9

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:10 am

My Top 10:

1. Burnaby South
2. Kitsilano
T-3. Terry Fox
T-3. Argyle
5. Vancouver College
6. RC Palmer
T-7. WJ Mouat
T-7. South Kamloops
9. Heritage Woods
T-10. Yale
T-10. Tupper

Honourable Mentions (in this order):
Byrne Creek
Pitt Meadows
Dover Bay
Fleetwood Park
Cowichan
Brookswood

Please keep in mind that I don't have a clue as to what's going on in the Okanagan region.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gobirds

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:30 am

kits, fox, and argyle ahead of palmer... WHY?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:59 am

shoota wrote:
I like Argyle to be competitive and their big man KW - best grade 11 from the North Shore by far.

David Manshrek just called...he disagrees with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:40 am

RC Palmer is definitely a top 5 team but in the end i think there lack of size will hurt them
-and reasoning for ranking fox ahead of them would be terry fox beat them at the legal beagle without mack roth so fox beat them with all returning players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraserballer

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:21 am

Hoops-9 wrote:
My Top 10:

1. Burnaby South
2. Kitsilano
T-3. Terry Fox
T-3. Argyle
5. Vancouver College
6. RC Palmer
T-7. WJ Mouat
T-7. South Kamloops
9. Heritage Woods
T-10. Yale
T-10. Tupper

Honourable Mentions (in this order):
Byrne Creek
Pitt Meadows
Dover Bay
Fleetwood Park
Cowichan
Brookswood

Please keep in mind that I don't have a clue as to what's going on in the Okanagan region.

Good list but i believe pitt, yale and palmer should be higher and kits mouat and fox should be lower, just my opinion
I think fox was only a great team because of mac roth without him they dont have any stand outs, but their coaching is what sometimes wins them games. pitt yale and palmer are all well coached with key players, their all top 5 teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shoota

PostSubject: David Manshrek just called...he disagrees with you.   Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:17 am

Oops. you're right DM is also a very good player - 2 top grade 11 North Shore players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:20 pm

theboss wrote:
RC Palmer is definitely a top 5 team but in the end i think there lack of size will hurt them
-and reasoning for ranking fox ahead of them would be terry fox beat them at the legal beagle without mack roth so fox beat them with all returning players

Where they lack in size id say they make up in for speed and athleticism all of them having preatty good conditioning but yeh i dont know about the fox being better than them more physical yes but the players on palmer are more skilled so if they meet up this year id say palmer wins - my opinion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gobirds

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Im not sure, I think it will be one hell of a game for sure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hyphybus

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Oak Bay should be in the top 10 too, with there good crop of players, and gr 10s coming up, there really going to surprise people too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lights_out23

PostSubject: Arglye   Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 am

So apparently Argyle has a new player from Germany that played for eGermany's junior National team last year, he's about 6'8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:12 pm

lights_out23 wrote:
So apparently Argyle has a new player from Germany that played for eGermany's junior National team last year, he's about 6'8

It's true. They do have a German National Team Member. His name is Johannes Richter. He's 6'8" and has a nice mid range jumper. He's been running with the team during their open gyms.

Johannes - C - 6'8"
Nik - PF - 6'5"
Kealan - SF - 6'6"
Wesley - SG - 6'6"
Cole - SF - 6'4"

They will be too tall and skilled. I think they definitely are the favourites now. I expect them and Burnaby South in the Provincial finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:40 pm

lights_out23 wrote:

I wont believe it until i actually see it but if they do then i would have some serious doubts about the other top teams defending that size but im not a big argyle fan are they a good shooting team i know wesley.d is a "OK" shooter but when i watched him on nationals he didn't shoot much and who is there pg i see size but they cant win without a point guard if some one slower is guarding Billy Cheng or Ater id expect them to blow by Argyle's guards. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Question Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Argyle is a streaky shooting team. Even if they are zoned, their coach is intelligent enough to get the ball inside. Guard wise, they do have a good point guard. Of course he's a transfer as well. He's a Brazilian PG. Name escapes me at the moment. Played with 3D this past Summer. He's not in the skill range of Billy or Ater but i would say he's between 5 and 10 PGs in the Province. Good touch. Didn't see him shoot many 3s though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:00 pm

That dude from Sutherland will be ineligible at Argyle won't he?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:07 pm

outlawpete wrote:
That dude from Sutherland will be ineligible at Argyle won't he?

Who knows. I'm sure he'll be allowed to play just like Nakai was allowed to play last season for Yale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spidey

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 pm

bchoops wrote:
Argyle is a streaky shooting team. Even if they are zoned, their coach is intelligent enough to get the ball inside. Guard wise, they do have a good point guard. Of course he's a transfer as well. He's a Brazilian PG. Name escapes me at the moment. Played with 3D this past Summer. He's not in the skill range of Billy or Ater but i would say he's between 5 and 10 PGs in the Province. Good touch. Didn't see him shoot many 3s though.

How did they get to overseas transfers in one year ? To good ones that could make an impact like that. But if he cant control the game i dont see them winning Bc's does argyle play a fast paced game or slow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Upcoming season   Today at 7:16 am

Back to top Go down

Upcoming season
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next