HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:14 pm

fir$t off.... the letter "s" i$ bu$ted on my puter $o I am u$ing the "$" :-)

if anybody out ha$ an intere$t in high $chool ball other than uniform i$$ue$ in cnba and the re$urgence of the belli$le bear$ , let$ talk about AAA ball
number one: what are the early $ea$on tournament$ to watch for ?
BH$ tip off tourney ha$ FH$ black kat$ , $t mac$ , bh$ ,drh$ , $ugarloaf and looking for one other. $hould be a competitive event.
Who i in the LHH$ tourney? Alway$ a $trong event.
or the Capital City Cla$$ic ....who i$ there?
What other early $ea$on tourney? Valhalla , TVC, PB Cla$$ic, ???
I am predicting a BH$ -FH$ final at the BH$ tourney...what about the other$...thought$ anyone??

Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:13 am

it's about time. put daley at bhs and they are in the talk with fhs and lhhs. who else is there? no depth anywhere else. we need to look at those teams also picking up lots of good experience at tourneys. my guess is bhs will be going out of prov at least once this season, like fhs and the lions. go get some competition. who else is?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:16 pm

intere$ting point....going out of province or anywhere , to get competition i$ not ea$y to do , a$ it once wa$. Game limit$ are at 32...northeat conference ha$ 10 team$ , $o that mean$ 18 league game$......not much room left for other tournament$...bh$ will ho$t one and play in 3 other$( though they are very competitive one$ ) and that'$ it..... with the NE conference being weaker thi$ year, it could make a difference for them in february.
To make matter$ wor$e...there i$ talk that E$N of bathur$t , i$ regi$tering a team at the var$ity level thi$ year. They had their one year at AA two yr$ ago ( their jv'$ were AA la$t year) $o they have to go AAA thi$ year ( at lea$t i think $o...$ome time nbiaa rule$ don't alway$ apply to french $chool$) If $o that will make 4 team$ in the north and they will have their own conference . their league $chedule will go from 18 to 6 game$. Freeing up time for tournament$. Problem i$ , they have till Nov 1 to regi$ter , which could leave team$ in the north $crambling for game$/tourney$ in early nov....kinda late.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:50 pm

AAA going in to season rankings:

1. LHHS - Three U17 players in Goucher, Wilkins and Lafleur while also having Sean Nugent and Grice. Not very deep, but starting 5 should carry most of the scoring load. There only concern will be if all players are willing to buy into what coach Hickey is doing.

2. BHS - With Daley coming over and still having States they should pair nicely. They also have Greg Doucette who played U16 this summer to carry some of the load.

3.Riverview - From what I hear there size should be the only downfall, have good depth at the guards and wing positiions with Jesee Balser a defensive beast, Matt Sears and Chris Murray being there main studs. There is also Chris Mcdonald if he becomes healthy by season, adding more depth to there guards.

4.KV - Should have a great year, very athletic team with some very good grade 10's that could play varisty. Adam Spurrell should be ready to carry the team, but also having Jarred Crawford and Zac Chambers to contribute.

5. OHS - Now Im not just doing this to see what kind of replies Im giong to get. As of right now I think they will be second in the west, only time will tell, and they are for sure going to have two tough games with FHS to see who will get 2nd. The core of this team is returning, ( A bunch of guys you may not have heard of) while retaining Jon Ryer and adding Bradley Hovey. Watching them play last season I seen a very tough, athletic team, but it was also one demensional scoring wise. They played good when they got out and ran, Hovey going to OHS should help them score in the half court.

These are my pre season rankings, only time will tell I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 pm

baller001 this spices up the site to me. i still see fhs as #2 at the start of the season and improving but your words of ohs give us some hope for a few interesting games. can leo hayes keep their boys straight for the season? those guys can pay a little but they don't seem to be able to grow up and finish much. way too weak minded. kv is athletic but it takes alot more heart and maturity than i've ever seen from them. i do like riverview though. a sleeper team for sure. they will go farther than their womens team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 pm

...overlooking carlton north in the we$t could be a mi$take.. I think they can compete with oh$.... and fh$ will fini$h ahead of both of them....$rh$ will be ok too...$till have tabor kid...and $t $tephen will contend there...$o it won't be a cakewalk for kv....in the north bmh$ will be very good a well....
Prediction
NE
1) RH$ - without macdonald all $ea$on it will be clo$e
2) BH$- if robichaud $tay$ they will be 1
3) BMH$- they had a ummer team that played a lot of tough team$ all $ummer , and dow played u17
4) probably MH$

we$t
1) LHH$- can $core
2) FH$- they reload , not rebuild...but LHH$ i better thi yr
3) CN$H$ - tough in late $ea$on and big game$
4) OH$- good , tough, and hovey could put them over the top...but have not played a lot of inten$e top level game$

$outh
1) KV- deep ,athletic
2) $t $tephen- till have ellemere and other$...guard play could be a factor
3) $RH$- well coached...alway$ tough
4) rothe$ay- $hea i$ $till there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm

In regards to the west it seems like most games should be very competitive besides those with Woodstock who are in alot of trouble playing in a tough division. I don't think FHS will be even half as strong as previous years but are sure to be nothing short of the better teams in the province, that being said Peter Esson cant do everything for that club, and although they do have alot returning not many played any minutes during big games so they have the same amount of experiance in close games as OHS does. So I expect both regular season games to be close and high intensity. As for Carleton North I have actually not seen them play enough or know any of the boys staying or coming, so I would be diving into unknown waters talking about them.

As for the noth east, I still see BHS in first even if Robichaud is gone, Daley is a more then capable replacement, while he may be the same leader as Robichaud he actually shoots the ball better, off the dribble and from the 3. Riverview should give them one hell of a game though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wombat

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 pm

In my opinion NB AAA Basketball will look something like this...
I believe Robichaud has left Bathurst and has moved to Thunder Bay. But with Daley and States they have two of the top players in NB. Daley, while playing for PEI was an All Canadian at U17 Nationals, the only one from Atlantic Canada. He had some massive games and improved a lot over the summer. While States was one of NB's top players and may be the best prospect out of NB this year.
Leo Hayes had three U17 players - until they all got kicked off the team for drinking....?.... Still Richie Wilkens may be the best scorer in NB and will be tough match up for any team that doesnt have a lock down guard defender. LaFleur is also a tough match up and had been playing well for the U17s.
KV has some solid players - Spurell had another impressive showing at Nationals and is as good an athlete as NB has to offer. Chambers also (after getting called up) impressed at Nationals and should be a nice complement to Spurell. While Crawford is a classic hustle guy who finds ways to help.
Riverview I believe will be missing Chris MacDonald for the year so will depend a lot on Balser, Sears and Murray. All pretty good guards, Balser is the best of the bunch. However will struggle with guys like Lafleur, Spurrell, States etc...
Hard not to include FHS just because really....they always seem to have depth and are hardly ever not in the mix come end of the season...
St. Stephen has Ellsmore, but I'm really not sold on him. I think losing Atkinson, Bell and Palmeroy they won't be in the mix. Bernice McNaughton has Dow, but i think they'll be up against it most of the way. Oromocto? Ryer is a player and Hovey is a nice addition, bt I can't see them getting too far. But crazier things have happened....
just some thoughts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 pm

#1 LHHS - The only team I can see beating LHHS is LHHS if they can keep it together and prove the haters wrong they should be coming out on the winning side of the AAA final at Harbour Station.

#2 - Winner of the NE division (Riverview or Bathurst). Both teams will be solid but have some questions. Whoever gets to host regionals and avoid playing in Fredericton gets to play FHS to go to Harbour Station,

#3 FHS - I'm not sure how you count out the defending champs. Esson is load and they are loaded with talent looking to prove themselves.

#4 Whoever finishes second in NE (Riverview or Bathurst).

#5 - KVHS
#6 - St. Stephen
#7 - BMHS
#8 - Sussex

Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 pm

nice post wombat. the fact that daley was named to the allstars is awesome. the fact that no other nb player was included even though the nb team finished higher than pei is tough to explain. except if you figure that those selectors who made the call were looking for more than long bodies, huge jumping, or a few baskets. maybe they were looking for ball smarts and more than a few guts. a guy that can think, execute, defend, and score. not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm

Everyone seems to like LHHS as pre-season #1, and I would agree, but I see KVHS matching up pretty good so I don't understand why they are ranked so much lower.

How many of these match-ups does KVHS loose???
- Zac Chambers - Richie Wilkens
- JD Kent - Sam Goucher
- Adam Spurrell - Josh LeFleur
- Ryan Foster - Ryan Grice
- Jarred Crawford - Sean Nugent

Plus KVHS has a number of other players that will push those 5 players for starting spots and/or minutes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:06 am

true hardfouls, on paper those matchups look good but what has kv done in recent history at big boy bball. varsity level, not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:57 am

heheheheh....now we're talkin b-ball :-)

The KV quetion i$ a good one.....for year$ they have had great team$ (on paper ) but only two AC appearence$ . One for boy$ , where FH$ pummeled them and one for girl where Riverview beat them ea$ily. They have one of the top minor program$ in nb and alway do well in provincial age cla$$ (mini , bantam, midget )

I have heard that coaching wa$ an i$$ue , but not really buying that...another point that wa$ made to me , wa$ the fact that in their conference there i not much competition and $t John $chool$ are reluctant to play out$ide the city $o they don't travel to get top game v$ top team$. Not $ure about thi$ idea either. $t $tephen , $rh$, rothe$ay are all good program$ that are tough competition. And I have $een KV at $ome of the top nb tourney$....and their own riverboat tourney i$ one of the be$t.

but the fact remain$ that at regional time , they don't $eem to emerge.

a more recent rea$on given had to do with the fact that $t john official$ call the game $o tight , and don't allow team$ to defend and play any $ort of phyical $tyle , that it hurt$ them when they get out of their zone and have to play phy$ical team$.... any merit to that idea???

thought anyone...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:19 am

This has become an interesting line of thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Carleton North ?? Didn't they get beat at the Harvey tournament by some single 'A' teams??

Lookup 'gutless' in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of the KV boys basketball team...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:15 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

Lookup 'gutless' in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of the KV boys basketball team...

That's going on the bulletin board...#$%@!$%#
Back to top Go down
Wombat

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:23 pm

I have to agree that on paper you bring up some interesting match up between those 2 teams. I (myself at least) wouldn't say that that they are far behind LHHS at all. In fact I would probably consider LHHS, Bathurst, Riverview, KV and FHS all in the top 5. With not much between any of them (although I would think Riverview would likely be 5).
Someone mentioned that coaching has been an issue, or that they didn't buy that coaching was the issue. Coaching can play an enormous part of it all I believe. When you think about the top coaches in NB how often do you think of KV's Varsity coach? I mean a lot of names can be brought up....(One may be of the belief it's time for the JV coach to take over!)
Without question it ought to be an interesting season....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:24 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:

a more recent rea$on given had to do with the fact that $t john official$ call the game $o tight , and don't allow team$ to defend and play any $ort of phyical $tyle , that it hurt$ them when they get out of their zone and have to play phy$ical team$.... any merit to that idea???

thought anyone...

If KV is struggling because of Saint John officials, I'm going to take that line of thinking and assume that Moncton officials are doing a great job of officiating and that's why Riverview High girls have won two banners in a row.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbball

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm

"Carleton North ?? Didn't they get beat at the Harvey tournament by some single 'A' teams??"

yes, they got pounded pretty bad..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:43 pm

some of this stuff sounds like excuses. bla, bla, coaches, bla, bla, officials, whatever. lets back up and get some facts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:11 pm

Breaker, you never disappoint. That one made me laugh out loud.

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

Carleton North ?? Didn't they get beat at the Harvey tournament by some single 'A' teams??

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

I hear ya $tripe$.....but that wa$n't my point....i did not $ay $t john officiating wa$ bad...i ju$t $aid there are difference$ in the way the game i$ called in $ome region$ of the province...ju$t like there are difference$ in the way the game i$ called in the ACC and the BIG 10....in nova $cotia , and ontario.....
there are coache$ in the province who agree with me.....we are not $aying one way i$ better or wor$e , ju$t that there are difference$....and in $t john , the game i$ called tighter than in.. $ay... carlton county... and team$ need to adju$t accordingly.....not alway$ ea$y to do....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am

but reffing is not the topic. it's the fact that bhs traded up big time for pg play and they will meet fhs in the final only too bad it's got to be at harbor station cause there will be less fans there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 pm

i really do think that allstar selections at nationals says alot about nb talent. bhs will be the toughest out this yr. somebody thought tabor was back for sussex but i'm pretty sure he s a grad. and obcnamtaf [is that short for something?] any more news on that school jumping into the north div?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:54 pm

student wrote:
but reffing is not the topic. it's the fact that bhs traded up big time for pg play and they will meet fhs in the final only too bad it's got to be at harbor station cause there will be less fans there

Wow...lots for SJ haters on here. Why will there be less fans at Harbour Station?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level   Today at 7:29 pm

Back to top Go down

enough with the AA talk...let'$ move up a level
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next