HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Aceforever

PostSubject: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:01 pm

So who are the favorites this season? I assume that SH and SRB in the west will be in the mix given 3 seasons in a row of West Finals with them in it. In the East St Matt, Hillcrest and St Pete seem to be the teams to worry about these days.

Anyone know much?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSSCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 am

Well from a coaches stand point at the cub level I get to see a lot of the best players in the city through out the year and can get a feel for the school teams they play for as well.

This year you have to talk about 5 teams in my opinion.

St. Pat's- they loaded up on some talent in bringing in Roydell C and Chris A. Roydell is probably hands down the best guard for the junior age. His first step is explosive, he can play above the rim and hit the outside jumper. He's the total package. Chris has a high IQ, plays aggressive defence and is a sniper from 3. Definitely a team to watch.

Sacred Heart- They will have a young core of players who competed with Goulburn. They should be a young scrappy team in the west. Corey J is probably a top 5 PG in the city for his age. They also have a nice post player that stands around 6'2.

St. Matt's- These guys could be different come the start of season. They recently added Dyon M (or so I was told) and possibly have Keonte M who could very well move up to senior. If they keep Keonte they are probably one of the best teams in the East to watch out for. A 1-2 punch like this would be a nightmare for teams.

St. Francis X- Where to begin. They have current Guardsmen players and former club players making up this years team. Dini D. is new to high school but it is probably one of the best post players for his age. He does all the dirty work to get his teams a W. They also have Gisa K. Also a grade 9, played for the U15 Guardsmen. He's a fantastic athlete who is always willing to outwork his opponent. They also have a really nice PG but his name has slipped my mind at the moment.

Last but not least....
Gloucester HS- This is definitely a team to watch out for. They reunited the players from the Henry Munro team that won the city title two years ago. Haddar A. Yahye M. Waris. M and Mokhtar Z are going to be a tough 4some to handle. You guys should pay close attention to Mokhtar. He's 6'5, blocks shots, rebounds, dunks and plays with finesse. Haddar is a lightning quick PG who can easily shake his defender. Yahye is a defensive stopper who's willing to sacrifice for his team to win. Waris is the last big threat. He can create off the dribble and fly up and down the court. They will run teams off the court. Do not sleep on this team.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:36 pm

The PG for St. FX is Elliot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSSCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:42 pm

NOS wrote:
The PG for St. FX is Elliot

That's the guy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old guy

PostSubject: What about St Petes   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Anyone hear if St Petes is even going to have a team this year? With their grade tens from last year moving up, what do they have left. \Thgey had no developement last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:27 am

wow coach, thanks for all the solid info. Looks liek some real stars in junior (assuming they stay down) I would guess that the St Pat's players won't be down as they sent their best juniors last year up to Senior so I would think they would do it again.

EOM, SRB and All Saints have been strong junior teams in the west over the last several seasons, anything you can tell us on them?

In the East, does Hillcrest or LR have anything to talk about, they are also stronger squads from out there.

Thanks for all the club info, always interesting to see what is happening on that side of things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OSSCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:40 am

Well it's difficult to say what SRB will have for a team this year. Last year there were only 3 minor midget teams in the EOBA. Next Level, Gloucester and ourselves. There were quite a few major midget teams but the strongest were Next Level and Gloucester. Goulburn was beaten by 20, Ottawa South was blown out by 40, the Celtics and Cavaliers folded because they were so weak. The Guardsmen had a minor team too but they didn't take part in the EOBA. Their best players were from St Pats, St Petes, Brookfield and St Pius. If I missed anyone I apologize.

Louis Riel will be athletic as usual. They draw players from all across the city, or so I've been told. I have a couple of LR players on my team who are pretty decent but I have no idea what the rest of them are like. They were pretty good last year without having too many club players. Maybe the same thing will happen again?

St. Pete's has Dylon G. He's one of the best players for his age in the city. He's probably pushing 6'6 now and is being groomed to be a future Raven.

Hillcrest lost Roydell and Chris as they transfered to St Pats. They have no choice but to play Jr. There was another guy they had, a nice centre who could rebound fairly well. He plays for the Guardsmen too. But I think he transfered to St Pats.

EOM and All Saints will probably feature players from Kanata but to my understanding the team isn't that strong. Next Level is comprised of mainly west end players. They have Chris M. But he goes to McRae if I'm not mistaken. They have another PG named Idan, not sure where he goes but his team could be decent if they can surround him with some decent talent.

Nepean could be okay, they have a few Next Level players.

AY Jackson had a guardsmen player or two but they were tier 2 last year Not sure how much better they will get to be honest. How's their sr team looking? Have they recovered since having a season cancelled?

Ya know to be honest I think there's a power shift taking place this season. The stronger teams seem to be pushing towards the downtown and east end areas. I haven't been in Ottawa for long but when was the last time that this happened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Curry.jr

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:03 pm

I think Louis-Riel will probably dominate every team, because they just got a 6''9 center that can also shoot, they have hanad very athletic for his height 5''10, they have a transfer i don't know where from at forward about 6''3, and they got another transfer from beatrice-desloge whom i heard is very nice. And the hole team is in the sport-etude programme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 pm

so OSS, care to put in a JR top 10 teams to look for this season?

Also, do we know if any of these strong JR's are going up to the SR ranks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:02 am

To me it looks like a 3 tier season for the juniors.

Top Tier

Only St Pats and LR look to be in the top tier. Others just don't seem to be close enough to them but I must admit, I haven't seen all teams.

2nd tier

Hillcrest, St Matt, SRB all hit this tier along with many many more in the city for sure but who else? I assume SH, St Joe, St. Pete, St FX, St Pius, Glou, Mother T, Lisgar, JM (they have that stud grade 10 playing junior apparently)

3rd Tier

Immac, Nepean, Ridge St Paul, SC and others at the St Pats tourney showed that they are probably in rebuilding mode with many 9's on their squad.

We'll know more soon I would think as more tourneys happen and we see Ashbury, All Saints, ND, Wood, CB and others who tend to make noise in the juniors.

Anyone else have some opinions on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
B.roy

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:18 pm

[What about Deslauriers they have this Great Pg but the team is sefl is alright but they need height they did pretty well last year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: My East and West top 6   Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 pm

EAST:
- Louis Riel
- St Pats
- St Matt's
- Hillcrest
- Lisgar
- St Pete's

WEST:
- Sacred Heart
- SRB
- Mother T
- St FX
- St Joe's
- John McCrae
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burbury

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 pm

suprisingly longfields davidson has started 2-0 with wins over SRB and St Joes... two solid jr programs over the last couple of years
does LD have any chance of going deep into the playoffs this year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:17 am

chance? sure but realistically they don't have the talent that some of the other schools have. What they do have is a solid coach in Mr. Elliott. We don't give enough credit to the stronger coaches in the city and what they can do for a program.

Don't forget, they were all 9's last year so they got great burn as 9's and now back as 10's with some new 9's in to support them, they will be more experienced than alot of their opponents.

They have decent guard play with the ability to break a press, press themselves and get into the lane but have no size or shooters, just a bunch of hard workers who are well coached.

I would say make Tier 1 playoffs would be their goal and a win in the playoffs would be gravy for this up and coming program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Aceforever wrote:
chance? sure but realistically they don't have the talent that some of the other schools have. What they do have is a solid coach in Mr. Elliott. We don't give enough credit to the stronger coaches in the city and what they can do for a program.

Sounds like you don't have much confidence in your coach Ace?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't understand MCCoach. I complimented LD's coach, what does that have anything to do with me? Their coach is very good is all, some other strong ones in the city too, just think that people need to recognize the strengths over there at LD is all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach fabio

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:13 pm

I love Mc coach, man stop hating he's a good guy and he knows his stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:40 am

Sorry, Didn't mean to sound like I was 'hating'. I must have misinterpreted your comment Ace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:03 pm

no worries McCoach, all good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife..1

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Can someone give us rankings or earlyseason?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 am

Not alot of score up but I would have them ranked like this for now. Lots can change. I simply looked at tourney results, club player info and the few results on fatdog so far, I may be way off near the bottom of this top 10 but the top 5 or 6 should be pretty accurate I think.

#1 St Pat
#2 LR
#3 St Pete
#4 St Matt
#5 Hill
#6 EOM
#7 Glou
#8 LD
#9 SC
#10 AYJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:59 am

not many undefeated teams left out west with EOM, Bell and Brook the only ones left standing. Seems like anyone's game for the West this season. The east are missing tons of scores so no way or knowing what has gone on out there and if people have started to seperate from the pack at all.

Still think it's a 2 horse race with St Pat and LR, nothing has happened to change that, I don't think the others in the east will take them.

The west is up in the air and SH's 3 year run as champ may be in jeopardy as everyone seems to be beating everyone out there.

Should be an interesting 2nd half of the season for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: WOODROFFE/RIDGEMONT JR. BOYS TOURNAMENT THIS WEEKEND!    Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:22 am

Here's the draw:

After Earl of March, there are no other "top ten" teams in this tournament according to Aceforever's list.

It's very up in the air.

Thoughts opinons on the other teams?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:33 am

MT and SRB are strong enough but play each other first, winner avoids Perth (my pick to win the tourney) so today's game with them will give alot of info I think.

top 4 teams IMO are on the same side and will meet with EOM and Perth each taking on MT or SRB, winners of the bottom of the bracket meet in the finals is my prediction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:32 am

so much for St FX, a loss to St Joe will now put them (unless they pull out a W vs MT which doesn't seem possible) in tier 2. 2 guardsman players, they dress 2 6"5 posts with some talent on the wings, kinda amazing how it's not all about talent but how they put it together as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011   Today at 6:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Junior Boys Bball 2010-2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next