HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Aceforever

PostSubject: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm

So what do we have for Seniors this season? Sacred and Hill killed people 2 years ago in juniors so I would assume that they are top 2 out there. SRB is always there as is St Pats and EOM have most of their squad back as well I hear.

The big question is which of these teams have new players as transfers and grade 13's coming back to help out. Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Gary Monsour has moved up from coaching the Hillcrest juniors the past few years to coaching a loaded senior roster.

Most intriguing team might be John McCrae, a perennial Tier 2 team, since they now have two of the best players their age in the city: 5th-year Nepean transfer Justin Shaver (6'6" post) & grade 10 Team Ontario member Chris McComber (6'5" wing).

SRB and St. Pat's will be in November's "Crusader Classic" at Father Henry Carr in Toronto. It always has top competition and starts off the senior high school tournament season. Hillcrest and Sacred Heart are getting invites to some strong tournaments in southern Ontario as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am

Gary coaching SR for Hill is huge but they lost their big man whihc kills them, at least that's what I heard.

As for JM being strong, 2 players simply won't do it at the top level. They need some other pieces. I was just talking with another coach yesterday about this and ALL struggled with Kyle and his shooter partner a couple of years ago even with Kyle as one of the studs in the city. Good coaches just Triangle and 2 and it was over. I would think the same would happen to JM unless they have more then these 2 stars.

Any news on 5th years this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burbury

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Jamal Aden, Amin Majidi, Farhan Awaleh and Tre Inyang are the core of SRB's very strong backcourt this year.
If they all share the ball and preform up to their abilities it should make up for their weaker frontcourt.
SRB will be a strong contender this year to win it all again because of some amazing guard play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 pm

burbury wrote:
Jamal Aden, Amin Majidi, Farhan Awaleh and Tre Inyang are the core of SRB's very strong backcourt this year.
If they all share the ball and preform up to their abilities it should make up for their weaker frontcourt.
SRB will be a strong contender this year to win it all again because of some amazing guard play.

I've heard Amin won't be on the team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:39 am

I find it hard to believe that SRB can be a contender with a bad front court. Most teams that will contend will have both a good front and back court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:42 am

what team in the city has good post play?

Hill used to but they apparently lost their main big to Gloucester so they are pretty much strong G's and an outside big.

EOM has Ryan and 3 nice G's. Not sure 1 post player makes you a strong post game when other teams can simply double him with no other post to go to.

SH has Vic who doesn't post that much does he? I thought it was more of a pick and role game with Sean going on for them. They do have a 2nd big but he's certainly not that strong.

St Pat has no post play either, all guardy kind of players right?

SRB has 1 returning big in Ola, not at the level of Vic and Ryan but did play club and 2 young bigs coming up from junior. Not so sure that they are any weaker then the teams mentioned above.

St Matt's doesn't have bigs really do they? They were Gavin and role players last year. Lost Gavin and have the same young club guys as last year with Cedric and other wings running the show there.

JM has Justin (best big in the city) but no one to help him out.

Seems to me that the past of St Matt double big man type style is all gone. Sure you need some bigs but having a stud won't be that crucial since no one has 2, it's gonna be about the g's this season IMO.

So who has the best G's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 pm

You just helped my point though. Every team has such good guards that can match up with eachother, which ever team has that good post player will be the difference. Hill has some good post players in John who can post and play D and Girk who is a very good defender. Vik plays inside and out depending on whos guarding him and Ryan has good shooters around him. The difference between who's in the finals and who isn't will be based on the post play because most teams have good Guards
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm

disagree 100%. I don't think any of the bigs are good enough (have a partner inside to help them) that they can make the difference. The deciding factor will be which g's can dominate.

Sean and Jamal will cancel each other out so it's down to keegan and emmanuel vs tremaine and farhan

Emad and Isaak will do the same type thing vs jamal and sean so the other will have to fight it out etc.

powers can again do the same so can EOM other robert and the other guy do it.

I just see the bigs being able to battle and equal out and it'll come down to the g's

Every team that has a shot has quality g's, it'll come down to which ones are the best and as always, coaching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TGX

PostSubject: Louis Riel   Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Whereas I agree with your thoughts on guard play, I think Louis Riel has been overlooked for their posts with Raph and Christian. They will be tough to defend. LR has some good guards to support their bigs, as well.

As far as guards are concerned, there are some very talented guards in the city. As a result, it will come down to individual and team defensive play. We spend a lot of time talking about offensive skills, but which guards are the best defenders? That may be the difference.

It should be an exciting year, as in my opinion, there are no clear cut favourites. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by Shake on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:43 pm

LR is AA isn't it? Sorry but the AA don't get enough credit on these forums as in the past there have been some very strong ones with AY just a few seasons ago along with Ridgemont. I remember them having quite a bit of talent but the talk (unfortunately for the AA schools) is always centered around the AAA and AAAA schools.

As for defense I agree 100%. That will be key for sure and I'm not sure that any of the teams guard defense separates itself from the others, at least in the pre season from what we know of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:55 pm

I cant see Louis Riel moving all the way from single A classification to triple A classification in one year unless they are choosing to move up for basketball. Last year, they had 499 students, but I dont know about this year. Still, that would be a huge increase in numbers if they were forced to play triple A. They may have decided to move up to triple A voluntarily. That would be a tough decision to make as many of you have pointed out this year will be a tough year to predict a favourite. If Louis Riel went double or single (if they still qualify) then they would have a better chance of getting to ofsaa and perhaps even doing well there if they are as good as some believe they are.

As for post play in the city, it will be interesting to see who has what in that position. It seems that, in general, there are not a lot of true post players in high school in this association. Perhaps we are starting to feel the effect of the FIBA rules that the club teams play as their post players cannot simply plant themselves in the block and play with their back to the basket any more? Regardless, the big men will be a factor this year no doubt about it, but it just might not be the old school of catch, drop step, and lay in. The post players that can pass, shoot a bit from the perimeter, and rebound will be the tougher ones to stop. The "best" post players, in my opinion, will be the ones that can stop the other team from scoring rather than being the ones that fill the basket.

Lastly, I have also heard that Gloucester got Omar from CB as well as the big from Hillcrest. Maybe Gloucester starts to enter the conversation for tough teams to play? Should be interesting as St. Matts, SRB, St. Pats, Sacred Heart, Hillcrest, and Earl likely enter as the early season favourites, but Gloucester, John McRae, Louis Riel, and likely others are already starting to enter into the discussion and most teams have yet to even start to practice. And what about the ofsaa gold medalists from last season? Who does Ashbury have coming back and moving up? Looks like a great season lies ahead!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 pm

For Ashbury I do not know who is moving up but they still have Jean who will be very solid in the middle. However with that said he is all alone in the post with Matt going on to university. So as ace said teams with only one post won't have any advantage as this is the year of the guards.

Also what have you guys heard on the teams from the east? I know Hillcrest will be strong, as well as St.Matts, but what about schools like Sir Wilfred Laurier and St. Petes? I know SWL has Malcolm Brown and that is it as for St. Petes they have Daniel who should transition fine moving up from Junior to Senior.

Can someone post a list of teams "star" players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 pm

you seem to already hint at the top teams in the east: St. Matts, St. Pats, Louis Riel, and Hillcrest. St. Petes did not have a senior team last year so there is no guarantee that they will have one this year either. I know nothing about Sir Wil. Other teams no one has said anything about Bell, St. Joes, and Glebe. How are they looking this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Aceforever wrote:
disagree 100%. I don't think any of the bigs are good enough (have a partner inside to help them) that they can make the difference. The deciding factor will be which g's can dominate.

Sean and Jamal will cancel each other out so it's down to keegan and emmanuel vs tremaine and farhan

Emad and Isaak will do the same type thing vs jamal and sean so the other will have to fight it out etc.

powers can again do the same so can EOM other robert and the other guy do it.

I just see the bigs being able to battle and equal out and it'll come down to the g's

Every team that has a shot has quality g's, it'll come down to which ones are the best and as always, coaching.

See with all these players canceling each other like Sean and Jamal, isn't this where the post kicks in? Vik is probably the next option after Sean so wouldn't it be who would win that battle if the guards cancel out? And SRB isn't very strong in the post so it could hurt them in that scenario. Hill is still strong down there even with the lost of the big. I do agree its the year of the guards, but the teams who have at least one good post player will be the team to do very well this year IMO.

Ashbury also only has Jean, St Joes has emmet, and Bell lost a lot of guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:55 pm

SRB has some size with less experience and polish but should be able to handle some of the bigs in the city defensively. Same goes for St Matts who have bigs that don't get enough respect. I just don't see Vic, Ryan, etc scoring more then 15 in a game vs the big teams which is nice but not dominating, I really think it'll lie with the guards and the defense as one poster already noted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm

whats with all these 5th year transfer this year? i thought that doing a 5th year is under speical consideration of your home school. if your home school dossent want you or if you dont want to go back to your school then shouldnt you be at adult high school?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Transfer rules apply to everyone not just 5th year guys. If you move to a new area in a different school's zone and you want to go to that school then you qualify for a transfer. The only 5th year guy that I am aware of that moved is Justin from Nepean now John McRae. When I spoke to him, he told me that he moved to Barrhaven and lives five minutes from JM. Sounds pretty legit to me. The fact that he is still in highschool means that he has the same opportunities that any high school person would have. He should not be punished for going to high school for a fifth year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 pm

Ace what bigs are you referring to at st. Matts?I thought they were only guards and I don't know of any bigs moving up with them to junior. As for Justin he moved so he is eligible to play. And how many teams are going to the Bill Wren tournament this year? Hopefully it will be a strong field with some good out of town teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 pm

anyone got a top 10 prediction?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:13 pm

coachc wrote:
St. Petes did not have a senior team last year so there is no guarantee that they will have one this year either.

They are booked to compete at this year's Senior Rimrocker so they will have a team this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Curry.jr

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Aceforever wrote:
LR is AA isn't it? Sorry but the AA don't get enough credit on these forums as in the past there have been some very strong ones with AY just a few seasons ago along with Ridgemont. I remember them having quite a bit of talent but the talk (unfortunately for the AA schools) is always centered around the AAA and AAAA schools.

As for defense I agree 100%. That will be key for sure and I'm not sure that any of the teams guard defense separates itself from the others, at least in the pre season from what we know of them.

LR is gonna play AAA/AAAA this year because they have a very talented team i heard, they have ralph and chris and a 6''8 guy off the bench, a very talented small forward that could get hot very quick, and they got a transfer from de la salle i hear his a tough defender and a bunch of very talented guards surround them... Louis-Riel should be up there just as much as hillcrest, gloucester, SRB and SHH.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Curry.jr wrote:
LR is gonna play AAA/AAAA this year because they have a very talented team i heard, they have ralph and chris and a 6''8 guy off the bench, a very talented small forward that could get hot very quick, and they got a transfer from de la salle i hear his a tough defender and a bunch of very talented guards surround them... Louis-Riel should be up there just as much as hillcrest, gloucester, SRB and SHH.

I just can't see Louis-Riel making it far in the east. Especially with this being the year of the guard. I know they have their to bigs but realistically they won't do much especially against teams with at least one other big or teams that play a solid zone. Then from a defensive stand point opponents with 4 guards on the floor will have a huge mismatch and will just take the bigs outside. So as its been said before this is definitely the year of the guard.

As for Gloucester other than Omar who do they have? And I haven't talked to Omar so I wouldn't know but how is he eligible for his fifth year did he move like Justin did?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Curry.jr

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:45 pm

redemption wrote:
Curry.jr wrote:

I just can't see Louis-Riel making it far in the east. Especially with this being the year of the guard. I know they have their to bigs but realistically they won't do much especially against teams with at least one other big or teams that play a solid zone. Then from a defensive stand point opponents with 4 guards on the floor will have a huge mismatch and will just take the bigs outside. So as its been said before this is definitely the year of the guard.

As for Gloucester other than Omar who do they have? And I haven't talked to Omar so I wouldn't know but how is he eligible for his fifth year did he move like Justin did?
I wouldn't say that, you shouldn't under estimate LR they can go to work very quick, i heard they beat college teams in they're tourny 2 weeks ago they lost to guardsman by 8 in the semi-finals and that's a club team so that tells a lot from LR and I've seen LR's guards play they're very talented they can defend players like emad, issack, sean, farhan or jamal, so i wouldn't take off Louis-Riel from the list right now if i were you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Curry.jr wrote:

I wouldn't say that, you shouldn't under estimate LR they can go to work very quick, i heard they beat college teams in they're tourny 2 weeks ago they lost to guardsman by 8 in the semi-finals and that's a club team so that tells a lot from LR and I've seen LR's guards play they're very talented they can defend players like emad, issack, sean, farhan or jamal, so i wouldn't take off Louis-Riel from the list right now if i were you

What tournament was this at? And which guardsmen team was it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Today at 5:43 am

Back to top Go down

Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next