HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Heading to the gym for our first game against the host Bedford Road squad. Looks like a strong field, apparently both Regina schools are their best (LeBoldus and Balfour) as well as Edmonton and St. Georges so we'll be in tough. Follow on www.britbasketball.net as their webcasting games as well I twitter @Tisinthehouse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishCK

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Good luck Coach!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks Coach!!

Played host team Bedford Road yesterday and beat them 83-36 in the opener. We now face Garden City (Winnipeg), the #1 team in Manitoba in the quarters today at 2:00CST which will be a very tough game.

Here are some articles from the first day:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Sacred+Heart+makes+fine+first+impression/4073500/story.html

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Best+come+from+Ottawa+team/4072841/story.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:26 pm

SH beat Garden City (Winnipeg) the #1 ranked team in Manitoba 61-53 in the quarters, SH lost to St. Georges (Vancouver) 41-36 in semi-finals. Playing Sturgeon Composite (Edmonton) in 3rd place game tonight at 7:30CST.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Top ten will likely have to modified slightly after this weeks Jaguar Classic. St. Peter definitely deserves mention with the top ten and perhaps St. Paul too as they beat All Saints in the tournament. St. Matts likely moves up to two with their finals appearance this weekend and Louis Riel likely moves up as well after making it to the semis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Congrats to Sacred Heart for getting to the bronze game at one of Canada's premier tournaments. Any updates on how that game went? Good work and I am sure it was a great experience for both the players and coaches alike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 am

Just got back from the gym, won 62-47 - St. Georges (Vancouver) ended up winning the tournament over Centennial (Saskatoon) 41-31. Vikas Gill made the BRIT All-Star team and Sean Stoqua was voted BRIT MVP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:03 am

Congratulations to you and your team. Well deserved i'm sure. You've taken on some of the best this province, and western canada has to offer, and you've done quite well for yourselves. Clearly you are the team to beat here in Ottawa. What's next tournament wise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:37 pm

jrcitycoach wrote:
Congratulations to you and your team. Well deserved i'm sure. You've taken on some of the best this province, and western canada has to offer, and you've done quite well for yourselves. Clearly you are the team to beat here in Ottawa. What's next tournament wise?

We're disappointed that we didn't win the Championship but we definitely played some good teams from the West. We picked a bad time for everyone to go cold in the semi's - we scored 2 points in the 4th quarter. If there's any senior boy's team looking to travel to one of the best tournaments in the country the BRIT is looking for a team next year. Let me know?

Thanks, still not convinced anyone is a clear favourite and where did Smiths Falls come out from under...wow - solid win at St. Joe's tourney!

As for tournaments, we're definitely excited for the 32 team Ridgemont tournament after exams (Feb 3-6), that always brings out the best in the city and adds some solid out of town teams to the draw. We were also accepted into the All-Ontario Catholic Classic (St. Catharines) Feb 11-12, excellent event where you see 16 of the best Catholic teams in the province.

Sounds like things are heating up, parody all over which is great to see. Teams will keep improving, don't want to gel too soon. Good luck to St. Pat's at the MT tournament in TO this week-end - do Ottawa proud!!

Last edited by inthehouse on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:37 am

Will Vaughn be a part of that all Ontario Catholic tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:43 am

jrcitycoach wrote:
Will Vaughn be a part of that all Ontario Catholic tournament?

Unfortunately Vaughan won't be there because it's not a Catholic school - no draw yet but we will most likely see Loyola (Oakville), St. Mikes, D'Youville, Holy Trinity (Oakville), Cathedral, Campion, Thomas More - Henry Carr usually doesn't participate based on costs but it should still be a competitive tournament with those schools in the mix. Will post draw once it's released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

So anyone got a new top 10 after the St. Joe's tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Since no one has come on to give their top ten, I will put mine (excluding SRB of course). I don't know if it is because the league is so close that people do not want to jinx anything or if people do not want others to attack their list. Feel free to add your own list NOS and anyone else. This is only for discussion and could easily be completely different for most people. This list will likely change after this week with some big games on the schedule.

1. Sacred Heart - until someone beats them locally (other than preseason) they stay #1
2. Hillcrest - I know that St. Matts got further in the St. Joes than they did but they both lost to the same team to be eliminated. They have a huge game against St. Matts this Tuesday.
3. St. Matts - made it to the finals of the St. Joes tourny
4. St. Pats - beat St. Matts in league play but had some tough showings in the St. Joes tournament against teams that many would have thought they would have little problems with
5. Deslauriers - did not play in St. Joes tournament but have a tournament championship with big wins in their back pocket.
6. Ashbury - Showed well in the St. Joes tourny and beat Louis Riel in league play
7. Louis Riel - Lost only to the champs in the St. Joes tournament and beat St. Peter
8. St. Peter - Have a huge game against St. Pats this week
9. Earl of March - did not have a great showing in the St. Joes tourny, but their top five is as good as anyone's
10. St. Paul - beat All Saints in the St. Joes tournament and still undefeated in league play thus they crack the top ten and All Saints get bumped (for now).

HM All Saints, Notre Dame, Carine Wilson, St. Joes, and De La Salle

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:49 pm

coachc wrote:
Since no one has come on to give their top ten, I will put mine (excluding SRB of course). I don't know if it is because the league is so close that people do not want to jinx anything or if people do not want others to attack their list. Feel free to add your own list NOS and anyone else. This is only for discussion and could easily be completely different for most people. This list will likely change after this week with some big games on the schedule.

1. Sacred Heart - until someone beats them locally (other than preseason) they stay #1
2. Hillcrest - I know that St. Matts got further in the St. Joes than they did but they both lost to the same team to be eliminated. They have a huge game against St. Matts this Tuesday.
3. St. Matts - made it to the finals of the St. Joes tourny
4. St. Pats - beat St. Matts in league play but had some tough showings in the St. Joes tournament against teams that many would have thought they would have little problems with
5. Deslauriers - did not play in St. Joes tournament but have a tournament championship with big wins in their back pocket.
6. Ashbury - Showed well in the St. Joes tourny and beat Louis Riel in league play
7. Louis Riel - Lost only to the champs in the St. Joes tournament and beat St. Peter
8. St. Peter - Have a huge game against St. Pats this week
9. Earl of March - did not have a great showing in the St. Joes tourny, but their top five is as good as anyone's
10. St. Paul - beat All Saints in the St. Joes tournament and still undefeated in league play thus they crack the top ten and All Saints get bumped (for now).

HM All Saints, Notre Dame, Carine Wilson, St. Joes, and De La Salle

I agree for the most part. Could change this week with some marquee match-ups, With SRB playing Sacred and St Matts facing off with Hillcrest. All though I may switch St Matts with Hillcrest for now just because St. Matts beat them in the one regular season match up they had. Does anyone know how St. Pats did in the Mother Teresa tournament down in Toronto?

My Top 10:
Sacred Heart
St. Matts
Hillcrest
St. Pats
Deslaurier
Ashbury
Louis Riel
St. Peters
SRB
Earl Of March
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:30 pm

St. Pats went 0-2 at the Mother Theresa Invitational. they lost big to Pickering and then lost a close one (by two) to Toronto Northern. Hillcrest went 1-2 at the Silver Fox in Hamilton winning their first game against Glendale and then losing two close ones to Sarnia Northern and Oakwood (who won AAAA ofsaa last year).

No list will be perfect as these teams can all beat each other on any given night. For example, SRB has lost to both St. Peter and Earl whom NOS has ranked right with them, but beat Ashbury by 20 whom NOS has ranked ahead of SRB. Not disagreeing though as I said, anyone can beat anyone on any given night!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm

just wondering how do you rank hillcrest that high & louis-riel so low? hillcrest lost to L-R already & lost in the quarter finals to the champs by 20. L-R lost to the champs in the semis but that was a much closer game. they have also defeated deslauriers in tournament play. also hillcrest has lost to st matts earlier in the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:28 pm

To be honest, I don't know much about Louis Riel, but here is what I do know. They lost to Ashbury in league play. In my mind, league play is most important and thus they cannot be ranked higher than Ashbury. The fact that both Hillcrest and Louis Riel lost to the same team is all that really matters, the score is not as important. I know that St. Matts beat Hillcrest earlier and could easily accept St. Matts being ranked higher but Tuesday will tell us a lot more. I did not know that Louis Riel beat Deslauriers, and if they did, that is a good win and may change things, but the fact that Deslauriers won a tournament also keeps them ranked high. Has Louis Riel won any tournaments? I have seen Louis Riel play in the St. Joes tournament and they play agressive defense and have a few guys who can handle the ball well. Their main scoring threat is a very athletic big man that can move well in the post and really gets after rebounds well. They are good, no doubt, but the main reason I have them at 7 is their loss to Ashbury in league play. Unfortunately for them, they don't play Sacred Heart, St. Pats etc on a regular basis becasue they are AA this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:39 pm

no they did not win any tournament but went far in every one of them & ended up losing to the eventual champs each time. L-R in my opinion could easily compete in AAA/AAAA competition. also i just wanna know the reason why yu have hillcrest ranked so high? as far as im concerned they didnt prove anything!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Hillcrest has only one loss in league play and won the Ashbury tournament beating both Deslauriers and SRB by 20+ while doing so. Let's face it, it is a toss up at 2-4 spots with Hillcrest, St. Pats, and St. Matts. A legitimate case can be made for St. Pats at two, St. Matts at three, and Hillcrest at four. In my opinion, it is the opposite. If I am not mistaken, Louis Riel loss in the quarters of the Colonel By tournament to Gisele Lalonde who then loss to St. Matts in the Semis so Louis Riel has not lost to the eventual champ in every tournament they have been in as you claim. In fact, losing to Gisele Lalonde (who is 1-5 in league play) is another reason to rank Louis Riel near the bottom of the top ten rather than the top 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Vaughan is not a Catholic school. Some of the top GTA Catholic teams this year include Mother Teresa, Pope John Paul II, D'Youville, St. Michael and Loyola (Oakville). I'm not sure exactly who will be there but I don't think Loyola will be there as I believe they lost their regional qualifier to Burlington's Assumption.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Was just checking on FatDog and noticed that SRB upset Sacred Heart today by two points. Does anyone know what happened in that game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 pm

redemption wrote:
Was just checking on FatDog and noticed that SRB upset Sacred Heart today by two points. Does anyone know what happened in that game?

Kudos to SRB, they outworked SH and they wanted it more! It definitely sends a message that you have to come to play everyday in this league and reinforces that anyone can can beat anyone on any given day! Lastly, the old adage that your best players have to be your best players was very evident - Jamal was very good ended up with 24 - Stoqua and Gill struggled today!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:58 am

If anything, I think this loss takes the pressure off SH to go undefeated in league play. It's no secret they are playing well. However, this could have the potential to make them more dangerous than they already are, as they've already proven themselves. Not to mention the fact that they'll be looking to rebound from this loss in a big way. Also remember that come the post season, everybody is 0-0, the beginning of the "second season."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: New Ranking anyone?   Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 am

Depending on how SH rebounds from the lost we will see the character of this team... Some teams improve and others lose that confidence and feeling of being unbeatable.
This loss is late into the season and might impact the player’s mindset in the playoffs.
Congrats Coachc for the win… It might be time for a new ranking... Did SH win any tournaments?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robby

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 am

update on league play
West Team GP W L Stk

All Saints 7-6-1 Win 6
Sacred Heart 7-6-1 Lost 1
Sir Robert B 7-6-1 Win 3
Earl of March 7-5-2 Win 2
St. Joseph 6-2-4 Lost 2
St. Pius 7 2-5 Lost 2