HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:44 am

Thanks for the congrats and it really was a good win for us, but if we don't compete like that in every game (tomorrow against Earl will be the first test) then we can just as easily lose by double digits like we did against St. Peter and Hillcrest this season. My hopes is that our guys learn from this win as a way they have to approach each team. My fear is that my guys might look at this victory as something more than a regular season win (which is all it really is) and come out flat against Earl tomorrow. You know Sacred Heart will regroup and come out focussed for their next game, and you might be right, this loss might be the thing that helps them maintain that focus for the rest of the season. Still a lot of ball to be played with some great matchups throughout the rest of the season beginning with tonight's game between St. Matts and Hillcrest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: Top Ten   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:23 am

The top 10 format worked well, unfortunately you didn’t add the A/AA teams and mentioned team with little to no chance to be in the top 10.

My Top 10:
1. St. Pats: They won 2 tournaments- Only season lost was to St-Matt’s (beat St-Matt’s twice since once by 17 pts)
2. Hillcrest: They easily won the Ashbury tournament / 1 season lost – Big game tonight vs ST-Matt’s
¾ Tied. Sacred Heart/St-Matt’s:
St-Matts: won games vs. (St-Pats and Hillcrest) / No Tournament wins / 1 season defeat
SH: No Tournament wins/ 1 season defeat
5. Deslauriers: Won 1 tournament / 8-0 season play
6. Ashbury: 6-0 season games – competitive in many tournaments
7. Louis Riel: 7-1 Season games – competitive in many tournaments –loss to Gisele Lalonde/Ashbury
8/9/10 Tied. St. Peters, Earl Of March, All Saints, St- Paul's; Any of these teams can move up with a string of win’s and strong showing, most of these teams have 3 games to go!!!

HM: Notre Dame, Glebe, Cairine Wilson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachCarter

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am

Top 10:

1. Sacred Heart - Sean&Vik, ranked 4th in the province.
2. Hillcrest - Good guards and decent post.
3. St Matts - Well coached, experienced.
4. St Pats - Athletic, good guards.
5. EOM - 6'10 Ryan, decent guards, good shooters.
6. SRB - Well coached, excellent guards.
7. Louis Riel - Good Size, good guards.
8. Ashbury - Have Jean, one of top players in the city.
9. Deslauriers - Athletic team, lots of fight.
10. St Paul's - Great guard in Peloso, good core group.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: Question   Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:18 am

Did SH win a tournament?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:21 am

Sacred has been off to Toronto, out west and down to the states, not likely to win those but that doesn't mean that they are not the best team in the city.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am

It doesn't matter if SH has won a tournament or not. They are not entering tournaments where the vast majority of the teams aren't even in the top ten discussion. Sacred has been ranked in the top ten in the province one loss does not mean that they are no longer number one in the city. On any given day anyone in the top 4 can beat anyone those teams being Sacred Heart, St. Matts , St. Pats, and Hillcrest (no particular order). So as of right now Sacred deserves and will remain at number one, Hillcrest and St. Matts tied for 2nd/3rd with St. Pats right behind them. This week will solidify the top 5 with key matchps occurring. St Matts at Hillcrest winner will likely get 2 spot and loser will fall to 4 with St. Pats moving in to 3rd. However St. Pats vs St. Peters will be another good match up. Just to point this out as well St. Pats and St. Matts have the toughest schedule in the East with Hillcrest having only 4 tough match ups all year being (St Matts twice, St. Pats once and St. Peters once).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: Question?   Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:00 pm

How can you put St-Matt's in front of St-Pats?
St-pat's beat St-Matt’s twice (by large margins) and St-pat's won tournaments St-Matt’s were in....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:15 pm

I think that the consensus seems to be that St. Pats and St. Matts are very close and have split their league series. The fact that St. Matts did better in the most recent tournament (finalist at the St. Joes tournament) might be the deciding factor for some people to rank them higher. Tonight's Hillcrest/St. Matts game will tell us a lot about where teams stand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TGX

PostSubject: Top Teams   Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 pm

As predicted, it has been a great season. No one is undefeated amongst the top teams in the city...

St. Pats - Lost to St. Matts
Sacred - Lost to St. Pats and SRB
SRB - Lost to St. Petes
St. Matts - Lost to Hillcrest and St. Pats
LR - Lost to Ashbury
Ashbury - Lost to Sacred and St. Matts
Deslauriers - Lost to Hillcrest and LR
St. Petes - Lost to St. Pats, LR and Hillcrest

...It has been said and I am saying it again, anyone can win on any given night. As I said in a pre-season post, the teams are so even that defense and rebounding are going to be the deciding factors come play-offs. I have seen all of these teams play and the offensive abilities are impressive. All teams can hit threes, drive and push the ball up the floor.

With play-offs right around the corner, here is my breakdown of the divisions from, what I have seen thus far......

Tier 2 -
West - There is a really good battle shaping up in the west. On paper, it looks like Holy Trinity is the team to beat, but they lost to St. Marks. Merivale, St. FX, Franco Ouest, South Carleton, Redeemer and St. Marks all have good wins. Having said that, if Trinity plays to their potential, they will be hard to beat.

East - The east looks like Sammy G has locked things up but Rideau could make some noise comes play-offs.

A /AA appears to be easiest to predict.
East -
1) Ashbury...Jean with a very good supporting cast, who are very good at playing off of him
2) LR...cannot overlook team speed and size
I would not count out Carine yet...

West -
1) St. Paul - from what I have heard they play a good team game and can really knock down the threes....
2) Deslaurier - athletic and a good team but seemed to peek early...
either of these teams can beat each other...should be a great game on the 7th...

AAA/AAAA

East
1) St. Pats...still # 1 in the city IMO....They have beaten St. Matts, St. Petes, Sacred and others...
2) Hillcrest..Playing very good basketball...Good guards and a strong post presence...can beat anyone on any given day...
3) St. Matts...Have beaten and lost to top 2...Good team play and can run the ball well...Like Hillcrest, can beat anyone...
4) St. Petes...Good team play around a very good player

West
1) Sacred...Solid group and worthy of their #4 ranking in the province
2) SRB...Athletic and beat sacred
3) All Saints...won in a tough pool in the Jag classic
4) EOM - I have not seen play but know that Ryan can be a force inside.

Does anyone know how the play-offs work...Hopefully since there has been no cross-over in the season there will be come play-offs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 am

The playoffs work as follows:

Top four teams in each division advance and there is immediate crossover games with the other division. Thus A) 1E plays 4W, B) 2E plays 3W, C) 3E plays 2W, and D) 4E plays 1W in the quarter finals. The winner of game A plays the winner of game C and the winner of game B plays the winner of game D in the semis. All games are at the school who finished higher in the standings. This is for the AAA/AAAA division only and I am uncertain how they will do things in A/AA.

Also, I just saw that Carine beat Louis Riel last night by 20+ on fatdog. If this is true, then Carine must be considered as a legitimate contender for AA and Louis Riel may slip in some people's rankings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aceforever

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 am

so now what in the west? SRB beat EOM making their game vs All Saints the game for 2nd and 3rd likely. although if All loses both they are going to be tied with 3 losses with EOM and EOM beat All by more than All beat EOM, not sure how that works for the seeding. I am assuming All loses to SH but you never know.

in the east the final game for St Pat and Hill will decide the #1 and #2 seeds you would think. One may drop a game along the way to St Pete but I assume both win out going in to that final game. St Mats gets 2 games vs St Pete, St Pete will need to win both to land the 3 seed so you'd think that it's going to be St Matt 3 and St Pete 4.

thoughts?

What about what the cross overs look like? Is the east stronger or the west?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm

I just saw the score on fatdog between St. Peter and St. Pats and was a little surprised by the score (57-30). Not surprised necessarily by the fact that St. Pats won but just by the fact that they won by so much. Anyone have insight for how that game played out? I watched St. Peter play two games in the St. Joes tournament and they seem to be able to score (they hit 11 threes against us) but only getting 30 against St. Pats hints that St. Pats' defense must be pretty solid or perhaps St. Petes was missing some guys?

As for the last few games in the west, it is still wide open. Only two teams control their own destiny in an attempt to finish first. If All Saints win both of their games against SRB and Sacred Heart, then they are first but if they lose those last two, they likely finish fourth. There is little room for error. If Sacred Heart wins out then they are first. I think Ace's assessment of how the east might play out is pretty accurate. The two things that we can probably be pretty certain of are that the league standings for both divisions will probably go right down to the last nights of league play and that they playoffs will all be great matchups throughout!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:18 am

Some interesting results recently that will effect people's top ten. Hillcrest beating Sacred Heart in the National Capital tournament is big especially considering that this is another tournament championship for Hillcrest as well. This is three losses to local teams that Sacred Heart now has and perhaps their clear position as the capital's number one team is in question??? Carine Wilson also beat Ashbury on Friday which is huge in AA. There are also very big games this week that will determin playoff matchups which will obviously be key. This week's top ten can definitely change depending on the last games end up this week. One thing is for sure, no teams are safe heading into the playoffs next week as even the 1-4 matchups will be a dog fight.

1. Hillcrest - two tournament championships and just beat previous number one
2. Sacred Heart - been number one all year but a couple of tough losses moves them down (for now)
3. St. Pats - have a strong case to be considered number one...this Thursday will be their opportunity to prove it
4. St. Matts - beat SRB but have lost to the two eastern teams above them
5. Deslauriers - Had a strong start to the season but seem to lose to the other top teams now. Still undefeated in league play
6. Carine Wilson- Big wins vs Ashbury and Louis Riel recently keeps them on top of those teams for now.
7. Ashbury - beat Louis Riel but just lost to Carine. AA has a legit 5 teams vying for the title.
8. Louis Riel - Arguably the most talented AA team, but key losses keep them down on the list
9. St. Peter - young but talented. When they are hitting their shots, they are very tough to beat.
10 All Saints - two huge games this week. Win both they finish first in west, split they get second, lose both finish fourth (Earl will win the tie breaker). So much left to be decided for them.

HM - Earl, St. Paul, Notre Dame, Immaculata
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:57 pm

coachc i dont understand your way to rank these teams. yes lately team have beaten some others but they also lost to them in the past. example you rank Louis-Riel 8th they are number 1 in the east in A/AA & have showed well in most tournaments they attended. You ranked Carine Wilson above them? Carine Wilson is 6-3 in league play & have also lost to L-R. & you seem to rank Deslauriers so high on the list. yes they won a tourny(which was the arguably the weakest one in the city) & yes they are undefeated in league play but do you bot realise how weak the west in A/AA is?(only St-Paul & Deslauriers i consider top)
My top 10:

1. Hillcrest
2. St-Pats
3.Sacred heart
4. St-Matts
5. Louis-Riel
6a.Deslauriers - 6b. SRB
7. All Saints
8. Carine Wilson
9. Ashbury
10. St-Petes

HM- St-Paul - EOM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:26 pm

I mean no disrespect with these rankings at all. I do admit to placing greater emphasis on recent losses, afterall, recent games give the best indication of where teams are at right now. In my mind, Carine Wilson's 23 point win over Louis Riel is more significant than when Louis Riel beat CW before Christmas thus Louis Riel could not be ranked over CW. It also bears mentioning that technically Ashbury is in first as they own the tie breaker against Louis Riel beating them head to head. I would also argue that top three in the west for AA are comparable to the top three in AA east. I will not argue with the top three on your list as they really are interchangeable and I must admit, I was hesitant about taking SH out of the top spot. Perhaps All Saints loss tonight by almost 50 to Sacred Heart will have some second guessing their spot in the top ten though their final game this Wednesday may help them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: Ranking   Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

1. Hillcrest: good system in place (coach)/3 guard combo/strong centre/difficult to guard
2. St-Pats: great defense / good offense / quick / good coaching
3. Sacred heart: Sean/Vik combo – good defense/great coaching
4. St-Matt’s: great system (coach) / and play as a team
Tied. 5 / 6 / 7. Deslauriers / Ashbury /SRB

SRB: can be top 2 or 3, unfortunately it seems like the 2 guard combo shows up when they feel like it….
Ashbury: Will finish 8-2 (1st place in the EAST) -
Deslauriers: Season record 10 – 0 (1st place in the West) Only lost twice to Hillcrest and Sacred heart in tournament play
54-36 win against St-Paul’s

8. All Saints
9/10. Carine Wilson/Louis-Riel

Carine Wilson: Big win’s at the end of the season against Ashbury (3) and Louis Riel (23) - Good/knowledgeable coach
Louis Riel: Lost to Ashbury, Carine Wilson, Gisele Lalonde - Athletic/strong/fast

Back to top Go down
View user profile
burbury

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

1. Hillcrest (9-1) won the East (AAA/AAAA)
2. St Patrick's (8-2) second in the East (AAA/AAAA)
3. Sacred Heart (9-1) won the West (AAA/AAAA)
4. St. Matthew (7-3) third in the East (AAA/AAAA)
5. Deslauriers (10-0) won the West (A/AA)
6. SRB (9-1) second in the West (AAA/AAAA)
7. Cairine Wilson (7-3) second in the East (A/AA)
8. Louis Riel (8-2) won the East (A/AA)
9. St. Paul (9-1) second in the West (A/AA)
10. EOM (7-3) third in the West (AAA/AAAA)/ All Saints (7-3) fourth in the West (AAA/AAAA)

HONOURABLE MENTION
Ashbury (7-3) third in the East (A/AA)
St. Peter (5-5) fourth in the East (AAA/AAAA)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
robby

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 pm

This is poor ranking st paul is not better than any of the teams below them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Yu guys are putting deslauriers too high & Louis-Riel too low. Deslauriers lost to L-R in the finals of an all french ontario tournament .. It is the second time this year that they have won the battle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: Lost   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 am

Deslaurier lost by 1 without top scorer Wais mohamed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
starofstars

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:37 pm

soo you are all going to start making excuses for their loss? & also wat i said earlier about the east in A/AA being stronger has been shown. In AA it will be the top 4 teams in the east that will face off in the semi-finals. Carine wilson defeated woodrofe, Ashbury beat Notre Dame, Lester B won against St-paul & Louis-Riel won against Mother Teresa. This shows that the east is the stronger in the 2 divisions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach 101

PostSubject: FYI   Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:40 am

The facts: St-Paul's sharp shooter Kyle got injured in the first quarter and Deslauriers doesn’t get to compete in the playoff picture; otherwise you would have a 2 EAST vs. 2 WEST team semi-finals.

I agree that the East is more competitive; for an example team like Woodroffe(5th place) /Mother Theresa(6th place) would not make the playoffs if A/AA playoffs were played like the AAA/AAAA division. Something the league might want to reconsider…
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011   Today at 9:02 am

Back to top Go down

Sr Boys BBall 2010-2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7