HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Predictions(BOYS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Rankings?Prov. Champ? Tough Teams?Will Raytown repeat?
What are your predictions for this year?
I think it will be a great year for basketball.

Let me Know wat u think

Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShizBiz

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:14 pm

B-ballboy13 wrote:
Rankings?Prov. Champ? Tough Teams?Will Raytown repeat?
What are your predictions for this year?
I think it will be a great year for basketball.

Let me Know wat u think

Basketball
Hell to the No!!! they are pretty good but not good enough to repeat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: My predictions...   Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:59 pm

The rankings should be out tomorrow - here's how I see it:

1 Western - credit star imports (Eli - Bow Valley, Ammon - Okotoks: both played on team alberta: is Calgary now without boundaries like Edmonton?)
2 Cardston (lost to Western at LCI, but recently beat Raymond!)
3 St FX (beat RS and JP at their tournament)
4 JP (lost to Western at North Shore Invitational for bronze and to St FX at opening tourney - maybe over-rated?)
5 RS (beat HA in league by 1 pt)
6 HA
7 Raymond (playing ~3 weeks less than their competition, will they put it together again?)
8 BC
9 Bishop McNally (gave Western their toughest test at higher hoops)
10 SWC (not sure this is the best choice, but from here the water is pretty muddy)

Can't include any more teams from the south at this point, like last season - too weak although there doesn't seem to be as much 'beaking off' down their either. That leaves a large selection of big city teams. Calling all would be "Cinderella's", the gauntlet has been thrown down, can you bring it?

Last edited by canuck on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Rankings   Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:32 pm

the rankings are out this is boys

1.Western Canada
2.Cardston
3.St.Francis
4.Raymond
5.Jasper Place
6.Bishop McNally
7.Ross Sheppard
8.Bert Church
9Bishop Grandin
10. Sir Winston Churchill

HM( Aphabetical order)
Harry Ainlay
Lester B Pearson
M.E. LaZerte
Medicine Hat High
Strathacona Composite
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:36 pm

How is a city conference team(Beaumont)ranked ahead of Holy Trinity a premier conf school witha 3-1 record. Ditto withLSL ranked ahead of Trinity. Do they know anything about the Edmonton zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:25 pm

Well last night Raymond upset Cardston in Raymond 84-78 a very intense game the Raymond girls also beat Cardston 71-68 also in a close match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: Rankings - round 2 (due out next Monday)   Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:08 pm

my guess:

01 Western - composite team is on a roll...
02 Raymond - unbeaten in league, with a recent win over rival Cardston
03 Cardston - still in the hunt - won't roll over and die this year
04 Bishop McNally - recent win over SWC
05 JP - may be over-rated but unbeaten in their league (haven't played RS)
06 RS - same story as JP (see what happens when they play Feb 16)
07 SWC
08 Notre Dame - glass slipper...?
09 Bishop Grandin
10 BC

HM: PK, Bishop O'Byrne, MELazerte (just beat HA in league), ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:20 pm

Not bad picks. What about SFX from Edmonton? Unbeaten in their league. They must be averaging wins by 30, too. Have beat JP earlier in the season, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm

I agree STFX should be in the top 5-- way too many Calgary schools ranked. No way PK grabs an HM- too many losses to mid level teams. They(PK) Needs to somebody good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: predictions   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:24 pm

I was at the Cardston -Raymond games. The boys JV game should have not even been close if you look at the two teams. Cardston got thrown off there game by the physical game that raymond played. I was sitting behind the cardston bench and I seen two kids had bloody noses and another two kids had bloody mouths. I seen the coach ask them what happened and they all said they got elbows. One even said that after he got the elbow he was asked if he was going to cry? The coach I must say was pretty pissed off. The kids all said who it was and I am sure the raymond coach knows who it was also. Why does raymond resort to these tactics to win. The girls game was physical also but not that bad. There was alot of grabbing of shirts on screens. Cardston got all there starters in foul trouble and played alot of there bench. Raymonds, cameron was also in foul trouble. Cardston was down by double digits for two quarters but came back to make it a close game but had trouble scoring when they lost four of there starters.i am sure that when they meet again in Carsdston the outcome will be different. The varsity boys game was very good game.But I will say it was VERY PHYSICAL. I am not sure why raymond has C.Ralp on the team ,other than to take people out. He through a vicious elbow at one of the cardston players and got a technical foul. Luckly he missed or I am sure he would have been thrown out. Both teams had players with blood on there jerseys, either from there nose or from there elbows. Both giving and taking. Just like the jv game raymond was way more physical and got away with it. I really thought jimmy ralph had a cooler head than he showed. He intentionally throws down a cardston player. because he was playing in his face and would not let him get the ball. Cardston was also in foul trouble this game. All but one starter had three fouls by half time. Cardston like the girls game played alot of there bench. Raymonds J ralph only had three fouls the whole game. Cardstons main guard Mcmurray who usually guards jimmy ralph got two charge calls against him that I thought were phantom calls. Nobody takes the hit in the chest. no position on d, it was really a laugh. Now on to the officiating. As you probably guessed, it was terrible in all three games. If the southern officials are going to alow that much contact in all there games, they are saying they that basketball is a full contact sport. If that is the case why not let the football officials ref basketball too. Iam sure that cardston would not have to play that way unless they have too. Now all the other teams in the league should take a page out of this game. If you want to compete against raymond you have to play tough, no backing down. and if the referees are not going to call the game the way it should be called play as tough as you can till you get caught. Thats raymonds philosophy why not the rest of the leagues. Until the refs start calling it and get this league back under control, thats the way it is going to be. I hope you officials read this and take it to your meetings cause all those players that went and watched that game in raymond( LCI- MAGRATH-Iseen some of those players sitting beside me) They will have to play the same way or get destroyed. Also from reading a message on the girls site about north teams coming to southern alberta to play teams here and complaining about the officiating.They have every right to complain cause i am sure your reffinf is ALOT better that what we have down here. If I was ref in this league I would take thjis to heart and take the leauge back and gain some respect back from all the coaches, players, and fans who come to see a basketball game not a rugby match. Maybe they should send out there best for now on to the raymond-cardston games and gain some respect back.

This is my point of view as a fan of basketball. Lets clean up the game. Once the officials can gain the respect from both players and coaches,nothing is going to change in southern alberts basketball.
Back to top Go down
Edmontonball

PostSubject: Bishop McNally & Notre Dame   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 pm

When did Bishop McNally beat Sir Winston Churchill? What was the score? Tournament game?
Which Notre Dame team are you talking about? From Calgary?
Should Raymond move ahead of Cardston? Isn't Cardston 2 wins and 1 loss vs. Raymond so far this year.
What about SFX from Edmonton?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Ominous wrote:
Not bad picks. What about SFX from Edmonton? Unbeaten in their league. They must be averaging wins by 30, too. Have beat JP earlier in the season, too.

St Fx is a very good team. They are similar to Western but maybe not as much high octane. Keep a few things in mind here: Should St FX be top 5 - most likely yes but time will tell and they are very veteran with many grade 12 players, Did FX beat JP - yes in the Mike Dea tourney by 4 but JP turned around and beat them by 7 a week later at REB so this could be the Edmonton match for some of the top spots, Has St FX won most games by 30 (Some metro teams are very young this year and FX is the class of metro - no disrespect) Look out for the Blues next year as Paul Kane is solid but young. Connor Bradley is going to be very good at the point. He has explosive speed and hops and is a determined young man. - Yes most games by 30 but Louis lost by 18 recently so maybe post xmas blahs as they did the Hawaii trip and nothing else. FX is well coached and they have excellent guard play. Question is can their bigs battle with others in the province. Some good tournaments coming up and FX is in the Western so that should be a showdown of guards and fast paced action. It would be great to see FX win and they can. Recent injuries to some big name teams could be problematic for teams down stretch. Feb brings the unknown factors of injuries and teams that lose focus - who knows who that will be. There are also many teams that surprize and gain momentum. Bishop McNally will most likely fall back as their depth might get them. Churchill is better than people think. Don't forget about the Grandin's, sleeper Father Lacombe's, Pearson's and on. I would not under value Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey Slimjim, you make me laugh buddy. I am not a member of the Raymond Comet fan club, I am not from Raymond, but I was at the games in Raymond. I will never stick up for a ref on anything because there is nothing greater in the world than ref bashing, but I feel that you fail to give Raymond any credit for their efforts last weekend. The reffing wasn't great, but it was not in favour of either team.
If you have ever played basketball in your life, you would realize that basketball is a contact sport.
You ask why Connor Ralph is on the team???? He doesn't even have to score a point and he can be one of the most effective players on the floor. His hustle is unmatched by anyone, and the technical he got...I'm sorry but even I could see that he wasn't trying to make contact with the kid and missed him by about 4 feet. He also had 2 fouls that should not have been on him, but they were called on him by reputation only. He can't help it if a 120 pound kid bounces off him while he stands still. How many times did Cardston come down with a rebound swinging elbows? I will give Raymond credit for making Cardston play their game, and yes the refs were bad, but not in favour of one or the other.
The girls game...I saw four Raymond girls sitting on the bench fouled out at the end, and I also saw four grade 10 girls on the floor for Raymond to seal the victory. I give any senior team credit that can win a close game with 4 grade tens on the floor. That game had too many fouls called both ways if anything. It was the longest game in history.
Just a reminder - it is a contact sport. If you don't believe me, watch Lebron, Shaq, Kobe, or any of the superstars and see how hard they get beat up in a game. Diving for loose balls is allowed as well, its just tthat most people don't like to sacrifice like that.

Both teams are good, well coached, and when you lose, accept it with no excuses. There will be a next time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: predictions   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

If you were to read what I said was a Full contact sport. I am not ref bashing, just stating that it is poor officiating when both teams can get away with swinging elbows and no call. You just proved my point that raymond does play that way when you say you give credit to raymond for making cardston play there game.Basketball is a contact sport I never said it was not, read what I said. I was not going to bring this up but since you want to talk about next time, is coach heggie going to tell the boys to take out mcmurray first then once he is out of the game go after skylar like he did this past weekend? How do I know that you ask, is because my son was sitting RIGHT behind the raymond bench and was listening to coach heggie tell his boys that if we get jon mcmurray out of the game we will win. Then once jon got into foul trouble his comment was, now u can go after skylar. One other thing I have played ball before, all through jr. high, high school and post secondary for your info.
I do agree with you that both teams are good,well coached. Not making any excuses for any body cause I really dont care which team wins. I got more imprtant things in life to worry about that who wins or loses a high school ball game. Only thing I would like to see is the game cleaned up where the skilled players can play there game and not get beaten up. Jimmy ralph and Jon mcmurray are the best in this league and it would be nice for both of them to showcase there talents with out being beat up in the process.
Back to the reffing , i agree it was bad both ways. just wish they would clean up the rough stuff.
Back to top Go down
dropthat6

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:42 pm

the funny thing is is that cardston's just as rough as raymond is. el tigre made the point already in stating that it looks way worse because of the size. but there's sketchy play, all over the floor, on ALL TEAMS. take the jv boys game for example. sure raymond played rough, but number seven on cardston was just as wild as "C.Ralp". there's plenty of pushing, shoving, and elbowing that BOTH teams initiate, not only the big bad comets. in the girls, haha. this really made me laugh, raymond's "rugby" squad was beating up on the poor innocent cougars! when you fail to mention, or probably even realize, that one of raymonds best rugby players PLAYS AT CARDSTON. and she kneed raymonds n. tollestrup right at center court, with no effect. so pulling that card doesn't really work either. and the comment about "taking out" cardston's players was the best. do you honestly think he meant injure or run him down? no! of course he didn't. taking the ball to them, and making them initate calls, is used by every basketball team! it's just smart play! honestly, that analysis was fairly sketch. all teams were suspect of rough play, that's what happens in huge rivalrys like this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:55 am

Let me guess, coach Heggie told his players to get Jon out of the game and then go after Skylar when they had 4 fouls each. If you honestly think that he was telling his players to injure them, you need to get your head checked. I don't know if that's what you are thinking, but I sure hope not. So, now you must be criticizing them for being well coached. If Jimmy Ralph had 4 fouls I sure hope coach McMurray would tell his players to take it at him and try to get him out of the game with a 5th foul. Or do you think he would tell his guys to take it easy on Jimmy so he can play the rest of the game? Jon is probably the best point guard in the province and his defense is awesome, so if he gets in foul trouble, of course you try to get another foul on him. Skylar was amazing on the boards, and alters a lot of shots, of course you would try to foul him out as well.
I saw a bunch of little kids sitting behind Raymond's bench, so maybe you should take your boy aside and explain to him that drawing a 5th foul on an opposing player is smart basketball, especially if it is 2 of their best players....the coach did not mean to injure them.
As for the skill players not getting beat up, maybe you didn't see the first two games between these two teams, but I thought Jon was at his best defending Jimmy when he bodied him up and played physical with him. This made Jimmy force alot of shots off balance and fade away from the key. The Cardston bigs were also at their best when they were being physical and pushing Raymond under the basket on the boards and getting second chance baskets. You want them to clean up the rough stuff, but does that mean you want more fouls called? I don't know what rough stuff wasn't called.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan24

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:47 am

I have to agree with el tigre that coach Heggie would not send someone to take a kid out. I heard from freinds that were sitting behind their bench that he said to take them out of the game but i never thought of it any other way. Coach McMurray has video of the game and #33 came within an inch of nailing # 14 with his elbow. I agree that #33 is a little to rough to be playing. he has good speed but there is only one reason to put him on the court and that is to rough up a player. The refs did do a terrible job but that does not mean that you still have to come out and finish regardless. Raymond always comes out to play when they match up against Cardston. I believe that if Jon would have avoided foul trouble it would have been a different game. The only starter left in the game for the second quarter was Thompson that has a huge effect on the game.

The girls game was reffed the same way. Cardstons problem is that the big girls didn't come out to play. Taylor from Cardston needs to avoid foul trouble so that her and Thompson can keep pushing the ball which seems to work for them and opens it up for feeding the others. It will be a different game when they meet up next.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 am

Being from Calgary and believing that Cardston or Raymond cannot compete with the very talented, well recruited Western Canada Redman I'm going to say that Cardston looks to be a like a bunch of whiners. You guys have beaten the Comets twice this year and you didn't find their players or the parents of their players on this site complaining about the refs, or even worse, that the game was to rough for Cardston's true talent to perform at the level they're capable of. I nearly threw up in my mouth when I read that.
As for "slimjim" having gone to post secondary, YAH RIGHT!!!! Your first post looks like one giant text message, and even for a text message it's still hard to follow what you mean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
old hack

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Slim Jim this must be your first kid in High school sports and you have never coached. That is very common terminology that coach Heggie used. Ya if Jon McMurray had 3 or 4 fouls you do go after a guy and try to make him commit the 5th foul. Don't judge Coach Heggie or any other coach unless you hear them actually tell them to hurt someone, and that you will never hear from 99% of coaches. That is good coaching to keep the best players off the floor if they get a few calls against them, get them another foul. Ya first McMurray and then if Skylar is next if he is in foul trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fatman

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:37 pm

cow-town wrote:
Being from Calgary and believing that Cardston or Raymond cannot compete with the very talented, well recruited Western Canada Redman

Hopefully we will find out next week as all three of these teams are in the SWC tournament. Hopefully it ends up Western-Cardston in one semi and Raymond-SWC in the other semi. Being from the south hopefully a Raymond-Cardston final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballjunkie11

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:54 am

this it the most retarded thing i have ever read. why does everyone always think raymond is the dirtiest teams ever. just cause they have a good football and rugby team does not mean that they are dirty and try to give other players injuries. raymond plays intense. they play to win. sure raymond gives a few cheapshots but so does EVERY other team that plays basketball. if other teams cant handle the intensity raymond plays with then why are they playing at this level? and for the girls game.. juhee thompson is one of the dirtiest players in the province.. and raymond plays the same way the last 2 times they played cardston.. but as soon as they lose there is complaining. typical
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: Semester break rankings are out   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 pm

The rankings can be seen at this link:

http://www.asaa.ca/new/basketball/4ABoys.php

1 Western
2 Cardston
3 St FX
4 Raymond
5 JP
6 SWC
7 RS
8 Bishop McNally
9 BC
10 Bishop Grandin

HM: Foothills, Magrath, Med Hat, Notre Dame, Strathcona

My apologies to St FX, didn't mean to snub you on my earlier prediction, the committee still accounted for your early season wins over JP and RS as well as you leading role in your conference - good job.

Let the arguments between Cardston and Raymond resume! Raymond won the only game that matters (league) so far! Credit Cardston with defeating Raymond twice at tournaments but the latest loss should shake them up! I would love to see Cardston actually finish a season. Have they ever won provincials? I'm sure they'd like to change that. Unfortunately I don't see Raymond getting weaker! Look for the swagger and intense rivalary to create some exciting games in the south - probably some of the best ball in the province.

HM are a surprise! Who have Med Hat or Magrath beaten to be there?

As usual, the order can be argued but overall seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited by canuck on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update rankings)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: oh boy   Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 am

here we go again with the whole ranking crapshoot. This weekend will be the test and it's great to see atourney with some matchups that mean something. I for one am very excited to watch these games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: treyfactor   Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Good to see you back posting!!!!!
What tournament are you talking about, and what are the matchups?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShizBiz

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm

Southfan wrote:
Good to see you back posting!!!!!
What tournament are you talking about, and what are the matchups?
the winston top dog tournament cardston, raymond and western are all there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Today at 7:19 am

Back to top Go down

Predictions(BOYS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next