HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Player Tansfers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kraull

PostSubject: Player Tansfers   Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:12 pm

So how many players transferred to new schools? What Teams are now stronger? Weaker?
Galan from ME was playing wth JP in the JP spring leaugue? Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:56 pm

I talked to some people at jp and they said that galan is actually at ainlay?!? Not only that but apparently Lyndon from beument now also goes too ainlay , picking up 2 good players does that now make ainlay a favorite?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:24 am

Lyndon and Peterson play a similar game. Can they play it together with Galan? A lot of speed and driving to the hoop, but that can be countered.
Not too many really big Post players in Edmonton though. That could be something to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:09 am

kraull wrote:
Lyndon and Peterson play a similar game. Can they play it together with Galan? A lot of speed and driving to the hoop, but that can be countered.
Not too many really big Post players in Edmonton though. That could be something to watch.

The 'bigs' might be in Sturgeon who have a bunch of players coming back. There are also some big kids out in BF. They had some in spring league. Not that skilled offensively but they cause a lot of problems defensively.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:11 am

The NBA with Lebron and Bosh has started a trend-let's transfer to the team with the best chance to win. Sturgeon girls transferring to Spruce Grove, Morinville girls transferring to Sturgeon, then 1 transferring to SACHS after 1 week, PK girls transferring to SACHS, Beaumont boy going to HA, Lazerte boy to HA, Lazerte to PK, kinda takes the fun out of high school sports. Yes I realize kids want to go to where they think they will get better coaching or exposure, but in reality if you are a great player post secondary oppurtunities will come your way. I guess some of these players would rather be decent players on a great team than great players on a decent team. Noone seems to realize that if everyone played at their home school then the parity would be better and that maybe the competition level would be more even. Tough to compete with HA and there 2300 students without them gaining the best player from Beaumont(3A school) plus Lazerte(4A school) . I would like to applaud all those programs who have been successful without any out of district players. And please note I am not accusing coaches of illegal recruiting--I feel the players have chosen these other programs on the their own merits, but it is unfortunate for those teammates who have been left behind as the best player on the team leaves and with him go their chances at Provincials, which in some schools may be the only chance that team will have in many years because in smaller communities those players only come through every 10-15 years. I can say that I am glad to be out of the coaching game as I would have no interest in dealing with players jumping from school to school and sport to sport, as I suspect one of these transfers is planning on doing, playing one sport at 1 school and then dropping out and returning to the other school for a seccond sport and Grad. It is a very complex issue and I can see the other side as well but I think it is a bit overboard for highschool athletics. Just my thoughts( maybe more like a rant).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:20 pm

bballspirit wrote:
The NBA with Lebron and Bosh has started a trend-let's transfer to the team with the best chance to win. Sturgeon girls transferring to Spruce Grove, Morinville girls transferring to Sturgeon, then 1 transferring to SACHS after 1 week, PK girls transferring to SACHS, Beaumont boy going to HA, Lazerte boy to HA, Lazerte to PK, kinda takes the fun out of high school sports. Yes I realize kids want to go to where they think they will get better coaching or exposure, but in reality if you are a great player post secondary oppurtunities will come your way. I guess some of these players would rather be decent players on a great team than great players on a decent team. Noone seems to realize that if everyone played at their home school then the parity would be better and that maybe the competition level would be more even. Tough to compete with HA and there 2300 students without them gaining the best player from Beaumont(3A school) plus Lazerte(4A school) . I would like to applaud all those programs who have been successful without any out of district players. And please note I am not accusing coaches of illegal recruiting--I feel the players have chosen these other programs on the their own merits, but it is unfortunate for those teammates who have been left behind as the best player on the team leaves and with him go their chances at Provincials, which in some schools may be the only chance that team will have in many years because in smaller communities those players only come through every 10-15 years. I can say that I am glad to be out of the coaching game as I would have no interest in dealing with players jumping from school to school and sport to sport, as I suspect one of these transfers is planning on doing, playing one sport at 1 school and then dropping out and returning to the other school for a seccond sport and Grad. It is a very complex issue and I can see the other side as well but I think it is a bit overboard for highschool athletics. Just my thoughts( maybe more like a rant).

BBspirit, there are programs that have been BUILT on transfers and/or recruiting of which you are well aware of:), in addition to school programs going to extreme lengths to attract and retain coaches.. so careful with that one.. Most people know I (JDeeds) have been adament about being against transfers and the havoc they cause. I have no problem with players leaving for reasons that include basketball but also extend into other issues. We have lost girls and guys to PK for various reasons and this is the first time we have gotten one (only 1 bballspirit.. don't get me in trouble) back (although the twin brother moved first..) I also am sympathetic to players searching for better coaching to get them to the next level - Lord knows our school went through that years ago - HOWEVER, when outstanding coaching is available and like you mentioned, players are going to the "program of the year" to better their chances of winning - and that's it... then I do take issue with that. Speaking for myself, I do believe coaching has changed and if you plan or intend on having a solid program, you can no longer run it from Nov.1 to March 24th.. Spring league teams, summer travel, open gyms, watching club and junior high games have become a regular part of my routine.. ask my wife.. and that is only to stay competitive. I too long for the old days of watching junior high games and knowing that certain players are coming to your school simply because they are part of your feeder system. That is no longer the case with open boundaries (I know Calgary.... you are stricter than others..)
So the choice as a coach is clear.. retire, since you don't want to deal with all this "extra" crap (watching games etc.) - which I have known a number of coaches to do (amazingly they seem to have a lot of time on their hands now..)... Do nothing, accept who walks thru your door on a yearly basis, work with them, knowing that at some point they might just leave after your hard work and involvement or dig in, try and do the extras like spring league, camps, travel trips and hope that at some point you retain the athletes that you have and perhaps someday, you might actually attract (not by recruiting BTW) one from somewhere else based on your hard work, and that of your players and parents...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Player Transfers   Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for the perspective from the coaches viewpoint on the transfer of players. It has become a more intensive job keeping a program going and the most successful programs do go 12 months of the year. It has become a very competitive environment to attract players and keep them.

The comment that I would like to make is in regards to the post secondary opportunity that these players are looking for. The playing field has changed for athletes in Canada. Programs are able to offer tuition and books to potential recruits. When tuition now can run over $5000 and books $1000 per year, the scholarship offer becomes very lucrative for an athlete and their family. Players are looking for programs that can allow them to become the most competitive athlete they can, by practicing against better players in better programs. Also, these programs get higher exposure to university and tier one college coaches. Because of this opportunity for scholarship money for a post secondary education and athletic experience, athletes and families are moving and making choices to maximize this opportunity.

Just passing on another perspective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 pm

D-It-Up wrote:
Thanks for the perspective from the coaches viewpoint on the transfer of players. It has become a more intensive job keeping a program going and the most successful programs do go 12 months of the year. It has become a very competitive environment to attract players and keep them.

The comment that I would like to make is in regards to the post secondary opportunity that these players are looking for. The playing field has changed for athletes in Canada. Programs are able to offer tuition and books to potential recruits. When tuition now can run over $5000 and books $1000 per year, the scholarship offer becomes very lucrative for an athlete and their family. Players are looking for programs that can allow them to become the most competitive athlete they can, by practicing against better players in better programs. Also, these programs get higher exposure to university and tier one college coaches. Because of this opportunity for scholarship money for a post secondary education and athletic experience, athletes and families are moving and making choices to maximize this opportunity.

Just passing on another perspective.

I beg to differ on this one. In the Edmonton area, the recruiting classes are identified very early. Look at a student like Sar (spelling) from LSL a couple of years ago. He was on a team that didn't perform well in the metro league- they were okay. They had a shot to go to 3A provincials and couldn't make it. Where did he go? U of A. Had he transferred to Shep or Ainley where would he have gone? The U of A.

Another example of Lyndon Bolanac who transferred from PK to Shep. Did he gain anything by being at Shep? He could have been anywhere and made it to Grant Mac. He was identified years ago.

I can't think of too many recent examples where a student transferred and magically was recruited. They go because of coach relationships or they just want to be part of a winning team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Some players end up at a post secondary institution and are playing but are they the players that get the full tuition and books scholarships. I believe each team in bball is only allowed 8 full scholarships. Institutions do not commit until the player is in grade 11 or most likely 12 to offering the money. Just because a player is playing does not mean they have a Canadian "full ride".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pica

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:25 pm

BBALL SPIRIT .... two points.

Keep in mind that with respect to some of these transfers, families have moved and the player doesn't have a choice but to play in the new school. There is nothing they can do about it. Secondly, for those who have made their own choice to transfer, it is sometimes necessary in order to improve, so that they can get a chance to play at the next level after high school. If you're not getting the coaching and not getting the competition to play against to make you better, what do you do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

If people move than they will end in a new school. I am just saying that the issue of transfers and the stockpiling of elite players may not be in the best interest of competition. Yes it will make the competition at the top better but it is somewhat less appealing if the same 3 schools from Edmonton Public win every year. That is not the case in Calgary as various schools from year to year seem to rise to the top. When was the last time we did not see either HA, JP or RS represented at Provincials? I do not buy the argument that you have to go to one of these schools to play post secondary, if you are good enough they will find you. As far as improving, there are a various clubs to join to access better coaching- see CYDC in Calgary or SLAM in St. ALbert which is currently training athletes to succeed and the various Calgary/St. Albert and area highschools are the benefactors of this(yes I know PK is the major benefactor now but this is changing). These players in Calgary are not all concentrated in one school and therefore it is more difficult to predict who will be the top Calgary school this season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:10 am

bballspirit wrote:
If people move than they will end in a new school. I am just saying that the issue of transfers and the stockpiling of elite players may not be in the best interest of competition. Yes it will make the competition at the top better but it is somewhat less appealing if the same 3 schools from Edmonton Public win every year. That is not the case in Calgary as various schools from year to year seem to rise to the top. When was the last time we did not see either HA, JP or RS represented at Provincials? I do not buy the argument that you have to go to one of these schools to play post secondary, if you are good enough they will find you. As far as improving, there are a various clubs to join to access better coaching- see CYDC in Calgary or SLAM in St. ALbert which is currently training athletes to succeed and the various Calgary/St. Albert and area highschools are the benefactors of this(yes I know PK is the major benefactor now but this is changing). These players in Calgary are not all concentrated in one school and therefore it is more difficult to predict who will be the top Calgary school this season

Being a coach who has benefitted from player transfers and been screwed by them, this is a situation that can only be solved by the school athletic boards and the ASAA. "Legit" player transfers happen all of the time and we know they are crap. "Living with Uncle Bob", "Spanish class", "Better Badminton" is all a cover. In Calgary, the schools are pretty strict in regards to transfers. Yes, there is recruiting, but it is by the book and the students have to decide from grade 9 where they will go. Families may move, but that does happen.

I think it is chicken shit for a player to wait until grade 12 to transfer when he sees the grass is greener at Shep, Ainley, Western . Show some balls and stick with your team. There will be player/coach conflicts- get used to it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earlmanigalt

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:06 am

I wouldn't say it's by the book in Calgary. All of the CYDC guys transferred to Bishop Grandin this year. They should be the hands down favorite to win 4A provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:31 am

Who would be "all the CYDC" players, they have teams at the U18,U17, U16 levels. Which players went to BG?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earlmanigalt

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm

All of their U16 guys from last year...which was probably the best club team west of Ontario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:39 pm

So that is Hedgewood,Posein,Thygesen, who else? Those are the players I saw mentioned on the Northern Exposure camp newsletter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:44 am

earlmanigalt i cant believe how over confident you are in your school, i dont even believe that they will win cities in calgary! and you've gone as far to say as they should be the favorite to win provincials? you have to look at raymond or western ainlay before you talk about grandin, dont get me wrong they will be good but i cant see them being provincial champions or even medalists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

Grandin was already good before they got there. Now they have to be one of the top teams in the province.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player Tansfers   Today at 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Player Tansfers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1