HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Predictions(BOYS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ShizBiz

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:38 am

cow-town wrote:
Being from Calgary and believing that Cardston or Raymond cannot compete with the very talented, well recruited Western Canada Redman
so much for that opinion eh? Cardston destroyed western tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:25 pm

Well the rankings were a little bogus based on the fact CHS was still 2 and Raymond was 4 after beating Cardston. So now that RHS BEAT CHS twice and Western lost who is number 1? Quick question for SLIMJIM....neutral floor Raymond wins... how did the refs affect this one?
Take the blinders off for a minute; these two teams are so equal that its gonna be this way the rest of the season..... but who is gonna finish the deal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: what fun   Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:45 pm

I enjoy the Raymond - Cardston rivalry, nothing quite like it in the province. The only thing better is the fact they are also the best in the province - again!

Someone said winning = respect. It's why teams brag about beating the Comets (even when it happened 20 years ago!), it means something. Can anyone beat them again this season? With any luck, Cardston will find a way - leaving provincials as the final vote of who is #1!

Look for Western to adjust and come back into the fray, hoping for a sniff at the prize (although I also enjoy seeing recruitment fail, these are still talented kids!)

It seems to be a 3 horse race. Everyone else will be fighting tooth and nail to get noticed (SWC, St. FX, Bishop's, et al - better get to it).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:11 pm

One thing to take note of is that both of these teams are missing significant contributors due to injury. Both are starters I believe...Low for Cardston (foot?), and Prince from Raymond (mcl). I have no idea how long they are out for, but it would be nice to see these 2 teams at full strength before too long with a little added depth. Both these players are capable of scoring double digits, rebounding, and playing some defense. That could be scary for a few other teams if they get healthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan24

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 pm

el tigre I don't know where you get your info but if you go to the southern alberta league site you will see that prince has scored only 16 points in 5 games. He has good defence but weak on the offence. I hear that Low should be back in a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:02 am

Thankyou very much bballfan. I think you are missing the point of my post, which is that both teams are missing quality starters that will only make them better when healthy. Based on your post, we know you are from Cardston, so it is impossible for you to say something that is not critical of the Raymond guy, but why can't you just leave it for what it was---wishing both teams good health. Now if you can't do that and want to get technical about it, I said that both players are "capable" of scoring double digits. I have seen Prince play in more than just league games and he can score the ball when needed, he's just not one of those guys that has to put up a certain number of shots per game to be happy. You're basing your comments on stats from 4 league games that were absolute blowouts and I'm sure his p.t. was limited in each of them, and the 5th game he was injured in the first half....so that is where I get my info. To top it off, I do not agree with you that low point totals mean you are weak on offence. You would have to factor in offensive rebounding, turnovers, ball control, assists, playing your position in the offensive sets, shot percentage, foul shooting percentage, setting screens to free up your shooters, etc. Regardless, I still hope that both guys get healthy soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan24

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:34 pm

el tigre i am not from cardston but i like watching both teams when i can. i am not saying prince is not a good player, it is just that i would not compare him with the Low kid when were talking offence. Raymond and Cardston match up against each other so well. Cardston has yet to have its full team against Raymond, i beleive raymond did earlier. That is what i think will take Cardston over the top when they meet next. It is always fun to watch. Too bad there are no other teams strong in the south that will be able to compete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:48 pm

ok little hint on these forums.... as soon as a person says he is not from that community.... HE/SHE is!!!!! Why get your undies in a knot over el tigres observation. It was an astute observation. I had thought CHS is really missing Low and he makes their rotation and matchup against RHS even better. Prince gives RHS defensive prowess so I think it was a great observation. I find it remarkable that RHS wasn't whining about the CHS elbows thrown in Calgary on SAT night; but when they played in Raymond its all how we only play football.
How come Cardston fans booed when C Ralph got player of the game in Calgary? Obviously the impartiality of the neutral site selection showed that some of you want to boo no matter what at a 16 year old kid. Grow up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: February rankings   Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:50 am

Rankers will put their heads together this week, may look like this...

1 Raymond (reported win over western at redman tourny)
2 Western (only alberta loss is to raymond)
3 St FX (tight loss to western)
4 Cardston (still in the hunt)
5 JP (who have they played lately?)
6 Strathcona (4 point loss to Raymond, only Cardston stays that close!)
7 BC (win over SWC, tight loss to Strathcona)
8 SWC (close loss to BC)
9 McNally (who have they beat lately?)
10 Grandin (ditto)

HM: HA, Pearson, Med Hat (tight game against SWC), RS (too many serious injuries, may fall right out of top 15 by next month)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:21 am

Few little notes...

Western's loss was a convincing one to Cardston, and then Raymond went on to beat Cardston in the final of SWC Tourney
JP played a few of the top teams in BC lately at Kelowna...and scored 130 against Ainlay
Ross Shep should stay in the hunt for a provincial berth from Edmonton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Rankings   Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Canuck,
Facts are a little mixed up there boy! As Tigre said, it was Cardston who had the convincing win over Western not Raymond, then Cardston lost to Raymond by 1, so:
1. Raymond
2. Cardston
3. Western
4. St. Fx
5. JP
6. Scona

After that it dont matter!!!!
Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: my bad   Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 pm

sorry about that - Cardston was the team that beat Western, Raymond then beat Cardston. I'll lay off my medication for awhile... drunken

I agree with Southfan's order
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalBall

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:38 pm

The top 5 of southfans rankings i agree with, but number 6? What has Scona done to deserve 6?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Edmontonball

PostSubject: Scona   Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 am

Scona might deserve 6th because since the rankings they have one loss.
Scona is 4 and 1 in league.
Scona is 8 and 1 during this ranking period.
Tournament champions in St. Albert during this ranking period.
Win vs. Bert Church
Consolation champions in the Tri Prov during this ranking period.
There one loss comes to Raymond and it was only by 3 or 4 points.

When did Bert Church beat SWC?

Bishop McNally should not be ranked. They are 1 and 3 in league.
They just barely beat O'Leary.
They lost to Notre Dame High from Red Deer.

Seems tough to bump Western down 2 spots when they only have one loss to an Albertan team this season? With wins against Cardston and Raymond.

What about the other south teams? Magrath? Medicine Hat? Have they had any legit wins? Seems like the south has 2 unbelievable teams and then the rest of their are very weak. Western beat LCI 112 to like 60 in their tournament.

Whats up with Bishop Grandin? Play any tough games lately?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leentvaar25

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:13 am

BC beat SWC in the final of the wr myers tournament. Medicine hat came 3rd in that tourny and only lost to SWC by 1 (94 to 93) but magrath lost the consolation final to crescent heights of medicine hat by 15 who are the 2nd ranked 3A team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
High Flyer

PostSubject: Jasper Place vs. Ross Sheppard   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

The big matchup is next week on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 4:45 at Shep. JP and Shep go in to this game undefeated, and is a likely preview of the City Championship game. Without an inside game, Shep will struggle unless they get really hot on the 3-ball.

With that in mind, I'm predicting:
Jasper Place 86
Ross Sheppard -74

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrsmithisgod

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:58 am

High Flyer wrote:
The big matchup is next week on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 4:45 at Shep. JP and Shep go in to this game undefeated, and is a likely preview of the City Championship game. Without an inside game, Shep will struggle unless they get really hot on the 3-ball.

Jasper Place 86
Ross Sheppard -74

What do you think?

i see jp running away with this one winning by 20+ points
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:13 am

jrsmithisgod wrote:
High Flyer wrote:

Jasper Place 86
Ross Sheppard -74

What do you think?

agreed, sheps gotta learn to pass to their inside. without it they're screwed because that tall gangly kid (who got lucky at totem) will rim it every time from the three
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: Mid Feb rankings   Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:23 pm

http://www.asaa.ca/new/basketball/4ABoys.php

Here they are:

1 Raymond
2 Cardston
3 Western
4 St. FX
5 JP
6 Scona
7 SWC
8 BC
9 RS
10 Notre Dame

HM: Bishop McNally, HA, Magrath, ME Lazerte, Notre Dame High

Arguments?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
High Flyer

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Hoops wrote:
jrsmithisgod wrote:
High Flyer wrote:

Jasper Place 86
Ross Sheppard -74

What do you think?

agreed, sheps gotta learn to pass to their inside. without it they're screwed because that tall gangly kid (who got lucky at totem) will rim it every time from the three

Jasper Place - 75
Ross Sheppard - 69
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: Provincials   Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Hardly seems like a runaway win - if anything suggests that JP isn't as strong as they're touted to be - although a 'W' is still a 'W'!

Can't wait for provincials as it seems this year may belong to the team who shows up!

- JP sqeaks past a tough but injured RS squad (nice 8 point prediction Flyer, very close to the actual 6 point margin than jrsmith's 20+ guess)
- St FX shows up for the BC game but then has to fight out of a 1st quarter 20 point deficit to get past O'Leary!
-Western loses a divisional game after losing to Cardston (just how many three's can these two team shoot?)
- Raymond seems to find a way to beat everyone they play, perhaps they will repeat in basketball too.

Should be a great March!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:50 pm

soooo pumped on provincials, seems it could be anyone this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerduude

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:16 pm

I believe that Scona will be a big threat in provincials (assuming they make it) . I find that the only thing they lack is a point guard. I saw their club team play and they had a fast point guard. But when I saw them play this year he was not on the team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm

canuck wrote:
Hardly seems like a runaway win - if anything suggests that JP isn't as strong as they're touted to be - although a 'W' is still a 'W'!

Can't wait for provincials as it seems this year may belong to the team who shows up!

- JP sqeaks past a tough but injured RS squad (nice 8 point prediction Flyer, very close to the actual 6 point margin than jrsmith's 20+ guess)
- St FX shows up for the BC game but then has to fight out of a 1st quarter 20 point deficit to get past O'Leary!
-Western loses a divisional game after losing to Cardston (just how many three's can these two team shoot?)
- Raymond seems to find a way to beat everyone they play, perhaps they will repeat in basketball too.

Should be a great March!

yes it may have been a close game between jp and shep but your forgetting that it was in shep's gym. Jp had a bad first quarter and battled back. once they figure out how to play a game without 1 bad quarter they can beat anyone.
jp has already beat FX, a very overlooked win
jp barely lost to cardston in the sugar bowl, with free throws being improved and seb back they can beat cardston
jp lost to western in NSIT bronze game,again with out seb and an inexperienced bench (at the time, have much improved since then) made it a close game while westen kept their starters on for almost the entire game
Raymond almost lost to scona, now 6th ranked, which jp plays this coming tuesday in their own gym, as streaky as scona is they can compete with anyone
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beeballin

PostSubject: Hmmm   Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm

Isn’t that a tad bit hypocritical? You mention the game against at RIT being a factor due to Sebastien being out, how is that any different that Tyshawn getting limited minutes due to injury. You also mention the JP victory over Shep, and the importance in noting that it was in Shep’s gym. What happens if/when they get to provincials and might end up playing against Cardston or Raymond on their court in front of, arguably, some the most dedicated fans in the province? You’re only just barely able to beat a team with one of their best players out for the majority of the game, the location should not be a factor (not saying at time it isn’t, but it shouldn’t be.) Even if you disagree, and your point remain then how is that any different than FX losing to JP at REB? FX also beat JP a week prior to that. I don’t mean to take away from JP as a team, but at the end of the day everyone is battling the same problems. And in a month when provincials roll around, a win is a win, regardless of what could or might have happened if someone hadn’t been injured, or if the location had been elsewhere, of if shooting had been better, or if a team didn’t have a bad quarter etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predictions(BOYS)   Today at 9:09 am

Back to top Go down

Predictions(BOYS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next