HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
baller29

PostSubject: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:00 pm

We saw the AAA tournament this year (2009) was a success. 2011 will be good having the highest level of classification in Ottawa. This junior season will a good one to predict the whos taking it in 2011. I hope there will be a repeat of a Ottawa team winning at ofsaa in home and see if they can take on powerhouses Eastern commerce. Which teams in Ottawa in 2010-2011 do you think will be able to contend with AAAA Teams @ OFSAA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tidus41

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:45 pm

PRobably Hillcrest and Sacred Heart r gonna be real gud next year, I dont think they're good enough to win ofsaa though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Hopefully Carleton U or Ottawa U is available for the final four.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:25 pm

IF the CIS championship are back in ottawa again they should have it at scotiabank place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:41 am

The title of the post is incorrect: Ottawa will host AAAA OFSAA in 2011-2012. Scroll to the last two paragraphs.

Quote :
IF the CIS championship are back in ottawa again they should have it at scotiabank place.

In 2012 the CIS Championships will be in Halifax.

Last year, Carleton and Ottawa U were both used as practice gyms for the competing squads. Algonquin gave up their gym for the OCCA championships the weekend before. Thus the reason the AAA final four was held at Lisgar. It's a decent, if older, venue but parking was an issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: Algonquin would be an ideal location...   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 am

I think Algonquin should play some sort of host role. There is PLENTY of parking, a lot of room in the stands, and VERY easy to get to both by bus and by car.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 am

Not sure why you think Algonquin has lots of parking. Each year we enter their tournament right before Christmas Break and I always park at college square with the knowledge that I could get ticketed at any point. But recently some of the owners from College Square stores have publicly lobbied the city to be more aggressive with ticketing people parking in their facilities and then heading to Algonquin. None of this is to say that we should not consider Algonquin as an option, but I am not sure that the case for Algonquin should revolve around their access to parking. To me, Carleton would be ideal. It is the nicest facility, easily accessible, and can hold the most fans. Surely the final of AAAA ofsaa would require that we have enough seats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:53 pm

There is no minimum capacity in the hosting guidelines but the smallest venue for the final four of a AAAA championship that I can recall in recent years was around 500 so one assumes that's the de-facto minimum.

It's been a long time since I've been in the Algonquin gym, not since the December, 1988 version of the Christmas tournament, but IIRC the gym holds at least that much or more.

I also think the Carleton gym would make the best venue: It's the newest and largest gym in the city; there is a great basketball tradition at the school; there is plenty of public parking next to the athletic complex; and it is accessible by public transit.

One assumes the first three rounds would be held at 3 or 4 schools in the city that are relatively close to each other (as per OFSAA guidelines) and have enough capacity in their stands (likely at least 300).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:20 am

coach C... Depending on the times of the tournament games, after 5pm on weekdays and weekends, there is parking ON site at the back of the college for free. I don't know what time your games were, but you shouldn't have had to park at College square. Regardless, Algonquin could play host to either first round games, or be used as a practice facility. It's a decent facility with room for a lot of fans. I agree with the fact that the semi's and finals should be played at Carleton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

It's my understanding that part of the bid included plans for a new Algonquin facility to be created for hosting this event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Generally speaking, the AAAA OFSAA schedule is as follows:

Monday: one game for most - afternoon or early evening and two games for 4 teams - the second in the evening
Tuesday: two games - morning/early afternoon and late afternoon/evening
Wednesday: two games - semis in the morning/early afternoon and medal games in the evening
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:16 pm

can't it be at scotiabank place. in toronto they have a tournement were its played at air canada centre and the bottom level is near capacity. the thing is scotiabank place is not located downtown. can the the civic centre be converted for basketball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jayme2010

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I would not put to much into the scotia bank beeing in kanata.Yes you may get more ina down town arena but i think they still could get a fair size crowd at the scotia bank.I can't see the civic centre beeing a big draw as it is now it is run down still a good arena but does not have all the bells and whistles of a newers arena like the scotia bank.As for other locations.

Gatineau
The city of gatineau will be opening a brand new sports compex this spring that will be multi use and yes it will have a gym that could be idea for this tournemant.

Guertin Arena
I think the plans are for a new arena or upgraded arena to open in early 2011.

North Kanata Comnunity Centre
A brand new centre with a gym will be opening i beleave in early spring 2012.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Scotiabank Place is a non-starter. It is far too expensive to rent and the crowd would look tiny in such a massive facility. The same pretty much holds true for the Civic Centre, which by the way, has been recently renovated and is a very good place to watch a hockey game. Forget Gatineau as well as this is an Ontario Championship in a city that already has plenty of appropriate venues.

Algonquin and Carleton are the logical locations for the final four. Look for most of the early round matches to be played at local high schools with decent seating capacity, as is the case at most AAAA OFSAA tournaments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jayme2010

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:13 am

Its hard to say if it would be a tiny crowd and the scotia bank there are things such as the bell cup etc that get a good crowd for the most part.As for the civic centre yes its been upgraded but it still needa fair amount of work and if landsdown live gets the green light maybe it will be done in time for the championships.There is an advantage to holding a event like this in university/colleges and areas more people can get in you can offer a better concesseion selection etc in all they could make money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:28 am

During the Bell Cup, spectators are limited to sections 105, 106, and 107 only. The sections are never completely full.

It is simply too large. Even the CIS championships generally sell tickets for about half the venue and that event is many times bigger than OFSAA basketball.

Landsdowne Live will take at least five years so it won't be a factor.

The gym at Carleton would be more than large enough to hold the final four. Even with a larger following in the GTA, the semi-finals at York (a smaller venue than Carleton) did not sell out and the championship game just barely sold out moments before opening tip-off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm

I agree with Xavier, the idea of holding it at Scotia Bank Place is ridiculous. Let's take our heads out of our navels and recognize that it's nowhere near a big enough event. Put it at one of the university or college gyms and there will be plenty of space for all interested spectators.

I was at the AAA final last year and, even with a local team in the final, the Lisgar gym had ample space and I think it's far less likely any Ottawa teams will make the final four at AAAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 pm

The recently completed OFSAA tournaments got me thinking about this thread. Considering the fact that most of the top programs in the city are AAA, I wonder what teams will do that year. With two berths in AAAA and one in AAA (unless an Ottawa team wins the year before), will the champions choose to play in AAA where their chances of advancing to the final four will be much higher or to play at home in AAAA and face a greater chance of a two and out situation.

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:33 pm

And also some teams in lower classification wanting to play in aaaa like louis riel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 pm

As a coach, it would be hard for me to justify travelling and incurring thousands of dollars in expenses to play in an ofsaa when we would be hosting an ofsaa in our own back yard. I just hope I have the privilege of being in that position to make a call like that. Laughing

Being two years away, right now it is a no brainer. You have your best teams play in the local ofsaa so you have the best chance of getting fans interested in the tournament. This is what happened last year as St. Matts could have easily competed at AAAA but chose to stay home. And SRB was also only one point away from medalling as they lost in the quarters by one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:01 am

i find that 4A ofsaa issent really a clear reprsentation of being the best in the province. in the 18 team tournement there is like 12 teams in from the GTA. there is many cities that dont have any 4A schools to enter a team to 4A ofsaa . and a city that can like ottawa we send the runner up so iwere not sending our cities best. so is winning 4A that great. the trophy is less prestige its only been around for 5 years compared to the real provincial championship trophy that has been around for over 60 years and has engraven the names of all the schools that have won over half a century that is awarded to 3A. 4A is basically a GTA tournement how is it diffrent then any other GTA Tournement
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 am

coachc wrote:
Being two years away, right now it is a no brainer. You have your best teams play in the local ofsaa so you have the best chance of getting fans interested in the tournament. This is what happened last year as St. Matts could have easily competed at AAAA but chose to stay home.

I don't think the analogy applies in this case, coach. There's a big difference between playing up a level to stay at home and staying in your level to play at home, especially when the school has it's first serious chance to win OFSAA gold. My question refers to a team lowering its chance to win an OFSAA medal in order to stay home. As well as your team played in the quarter-finals last year, the reality is that no Ottawa team has truly had a chance to medal at the largest classification (AAAA since the early 2000s and AAA before that) since St. Pat's in the 90s and your school before that in the late 80s and early 90s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:32 am

baller29 wrote:
i find that 4A ofsaa issent really a clear reprsentation of being the best in the province. in the 18 team tournement there is like 12 teams in from the GTA. there is many cities that dont have any 4A schools to enter a team to 4A ofsaa . and a city that can like ottawa we send the runner up so iwere not sending our cities best. so is winning 4A that great. the trophy is less prestige its only been around for 5 years compared to the real provincial championship trophy that has been around for over 60 years and has engraven the names of all the schools that have won over half a century that is awarded to 3A. 4A is basically a GTA tournement how is it diffrent then any other GTA Tournement

Give your head a shake and then...give it a few more shakes. I don't even know where to begin with this piece of anti-GTA propaganda.

====
First of all, the GTA is only guaranteed 7.5 of the 18 spaces. (The 0.5 is based on whether the GHAC rep is from Halton of Hamilton) They have the chance at three others if:

1. One of the GTA regions wins the year before, which they always have,
2. They are hosting in a region which doesn't already have 2 reps, like this year in Durham
3. The CISAA rep is from the GTA

In other words, the guaranteed slots are about the same % as the GTA's share of the province's population. Simply because the GTA has won the title all 9 years and has taken 22/27 medals over the 9 years does not mean it is a GTA tournament; it means that the GTA has consistently provided the best teams.

====
Next, your view that AAA is the real provincial championship since it has been around longer is ridiculous and also ignores historical facts. AAAA has only been around 9 years but AAA is only 40 years old, not over 60 years. AA is 43 years old and A is 62 years old. By your reasoning, I guess A is the real provincial championship. Rolling Eyes In case the obvious doesn't register with you, each new level was simply an accommodation of the growing number of schools in Ontario and an attempt to provide some balance in competition. Your attempts equate names on a trophy with the real provincial championship is biased rationalizing at its worst.

====
Simply because Ottawa doesn't normally send it's champion to AAAA OFSAA does mean you have evidence to question the validity of the AAAA championship. It simply means that most Ottawa school acknowledge the reality that their chances of winning AAA are much better than AAAA, due to the greater difficulty in winning AAAA. If AAA was really more prestigious than AAA then wouldn't schools like Oakwood (AA), Eastern Commerce (AA), Mother Teresa (AA), Henry Carr (AA), and Vaughan (AA) play up one level rather than two?

If you really think that the AAA trophy carries the most prestige of any level around the province, then I question whether or not you've even left Ottawa to watch or participate in high school basketball in other parts of the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NewBoy

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 pm

Thehoop-la.com has the top ranked teams in the province, and I think 9 of the top 10 teams participated at the 4A level. I could be wrong because some schools have the same names though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 pm

I have to agree with oldtymeballer that AAAA represents the highest level of competition because everyone in the province can play AAAA but schools with AAAA numbers cannot play in any of the other championships. This year was a lot different, however, than years past where many of the AAA schools could have competed against the top teams at the AAAA level. I believe that Loyola (AAA silver) beat many of the top ranked teams at AAAA this year as did Martingrove, Anderson, Orchard Park and possibly others. All I am saying is that the gap between AAA and AAAA was not as big as it has been since its inception a few years ago because many of the top AAAA programs lost some key players to the prep schools in the states.

One area where I am not yet in agreement with oldtymeballer is whether a team would rather travel to AAA ofsaa than play up in AAAA here in two years. It would be in our association's best interest to have our best teams play in the local ofsaa. Also, by staying you save all of the hassles of travelling. I know this is not a great indicator, but if you look at this year's junior teams you might be able to predict the teams that will need to make these considerations (St. Peter, Louis Riel, Sacred Heart, Borden, St. Matts, and St. Pats). As the coach for Borden, knowing that our team did really well this year and that we will add Farhan and possibly 5th year guys to that team, I would hope to have a chance to make the decision between AAA and AAAA and right now I would lean to staying home and compete at AAAA. Still, a lot can change in two years! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012   Today at 9:03 pm

Back to top Go down

OFSSA AAAA BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE HOSTED IN OTTAWA 2011-2012
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next