HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 2010-11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Looks like this year may turn upside down, not 100 percent confirmed but it looks like Caledonia destroyed JMA aswell as Belleisle beat JMA by less than 10, will post when I know the scores!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Bathurst beat Sugarloaf by 41 pts today to win their own tournament, 99-58 was the final, also Dalhousie lost to St. Malachy's 93-65. Any word on any other games today??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Lots of fun stuff happening this weekend, gonna be some huuuuge changes in the top 10 this week, like last year each Monday I will update it. 2 games this Monday are scheduled, of course thats all I can find from this site, the NBIAA website and CoachMacs site. I also will post the standings I have up to date as possible with the scores from the same sites and Gale Jeffrey\s email system.

Monday's games are-(5) CNBA @ Nackawic and soon to be ranked Caledonia @ Matthieu Martin.

If anyone has any results from any other games from this weekend, I'm sure we'd all appreciate the info!!

Thanks guys and gals!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I wonder how many High School kids are wondering about what people will say on this site about their teams if they lose instead of worrying about how bad next weeks practice is going to be because of the loss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Webeballin

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 am

Rudas wrote:
Woodstock and McAdam are in the 3pm final in Hartland. McAdam beat Harvey in their semi 68-34!

That is ridiculous.. Harvey only lost one Player.. I figured it would be them and Sugarloaf in the Finals at Harbour Station this year....
Did they get overly cocky in pre season or what??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:52 am

Boas you are mistaken, their was no "Destroying" going on at JMA over the weekend. Caledonia won by 7 I do believe and Belleisle won by 5 on a back to back. It was exhibition so the JMA coaches played all of their 19 players. When JMA had just their starters out they would pull a head but and then the coach would put in the bench because he wants to he what he has to work with. The starters maybe played 15-19 minutes each a game and only 7 minutes together. Believe me these results very skewed based a fans standpoint. I do believe though this division is any teams, JMA looked like a circus, they will win based on pure skill though. Belleisle IMO is much better then Caledonia. Caledonia won because they had their starters out against JMA's bench for most of the game, and JMA's 14 deep bench is nothing special.

At half time the coach wasn't in the locker room, he was running a half time show, left it up to the assistants to talk to the team. My understanding is the coach and players don't see eye to eye, which is too bad for the boys. Back to back seasons, different coaches, and none of them have a clue. I feel bad for the assistant coaches and the players.

On a good note though, the JV boys look interesting enough. They have an excellent coach and a good program. I could see the JV boys really being a good team. I heard they just finally started practicing with basketball and are in excellent shape. They also have a couple players who could be playing varsity but opted to play JV. Hopefully the JV coach moves up the ranks with them and gives them a chance in their senior years.

From what I've seen in the east I'm going to have to go with

1.Belleisle/JMA
3.Minto
4.Petty/Caledonia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller001

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:43 am

I really dont understand why JMA wont just cut some kids, this is high school basketball, if the kids cant take failure by now something is brutally wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 am

Yeah it's garbage, especially with a JV team, but it is what it is it guess. JMA will have above average players once again, with a below average record. Until the school realizes they can't let just anyone coach and puts a limit on the amount of players they can play then the system is just going to go down. I heard the head coach calling for lineups during the game and they would sub in full lines at a time like hockey. It was quite embarrassing to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:09 pm

sorry East, just going by what I heard, thanks for the clarity!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:39 pm

No problems, sometimes scores can be deceiving.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:42 pm

there was definately no destroying at JMA... JMA and belleisle were putting out lines to see what they have to work with. if JMA had of played their starters the minutes they normally got, they would have beaten caladonia without a doubt. belleisle and JMA games are going to be very interesting to watch. both teams have a never give up attitude which makes for great basketball. I do think caladonia will make #4 in the east but wont make it past the first round. either way it's going to be JMA/belleisle for 1st and 2nd then minto then caladonia. i dont think peti has what it takes to make it to regionals this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:40 pm

Celts, it looked to me like Belleisle was playing to win, well JMA was truly trying truly going 19 deep. Though I will give Belleisle credit, they will be tough to handle. Caledonia will struggle to make it into regionals, I don't believe any teams in the east will make it far, unless JMA can pull out a trick out of the bag in regionals like they did last season and forcing sugarloaf to OT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:43 pm

Campobello went 2-2 this weekend in Rothesay while Fundy went 0-3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:51 pm

EastSide wrote:
Yeah it's garbage, especially with a JV team, but it is what it is it guess. JMA will have above average players once again, with a below average record. Until the school realizes they can't let just anyone coach and puts a limit on the amount of players they can play then the system is just going to go down. I heard the head coach calling for lineups during the game and they would sub in full lines at a time like hockey. It was quite embarrassing to watch.

In all fairness, JMA wasn't going to have a boys team until those coaches stepped up and volunteered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 pm

That is fair, but I've talked to some of the boys and this coach just doesn't reason with them and doesn't accept when a player know the game more. Compared to last season it's a step down, He was running a circus at half time promoting his business, I know the assistants know a lot more, perhaps he needs to consult more or something. It's just sad to watch this happen to the boys in their senior year.

I had no disrespect intended, I just feel bad watching.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 am

We all saw some wild and interesting scores this weekend. I think that this speaks to the disparity that exists in how athletics at schools programs are run and managed. Talking to coaches this weekend there were teams who had already had 12 practices and teams who had 3. Some JV teams who were playing their 4th game were playing teams who were playing their first. Teams are dropping out of tournaments because fall sports are running into their programs, and other teams are having to play 19 kids.

Its great to have start up dates and drop out dates, but how these things are applied school to school has an outcome on games (at least very early in the season.)

You've got schools who as soon as they are allowed are going 5 times a week, while other schools are only allowing their teams to practice once all fall sports for all teams are completed. Plus everything in between. Some people have teams picked by the 2nd night of preseason other teams were still picking last week.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for what they do. Each school and each coach is doing what they feel is in the best interest of kids. I'm just amazed at the gap, and we shouldn't be surprised when schools/teams take on attitudes of it not being their problem to look after someone else program. Particularly when schools don't want to do as much as others but not get beaten badly. But that is another rant.

I know in PEI they have clear cut off and start up dates. Fall sports end on X, and winter sports start on Y. Everyone has the same start up dates, and each school starts tryouts then same day/week. No one is waiting on a sport to end so they get their players. This seems to make more sense to me. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Top 10 Week 1

Here is the new top 10 after the first week of games...

Team last week league overall

1-Sugarloaf(1)(0-0)(2-1)-2 big wins this weekend, one over Dalhousie and the other over St.Malachy's. A blowout loss to Bathurst showed that our number one must have some weaknesses, but not against AA competition thus far. This week they play Dalhousie in their league opener.

2-Devon Park(2)(1-0)(1-0)-only one game so far but man what a way to start the year with one of the biggest blowouts over Tobique Valley I've ever seen. We will see how good they are when they play a top 10 team, but this is an indication that they will be very tough. This week they play ESA,FHS ex and Tobique valley.

3-McAdam(6)(0-0)(2-2)-2 wins, 1 against what should be a tough Harvey team, one against a weaker opponent, 2 losses to a very good AAA Woodstock team, and not by much lands them way up the charts, once again Mcdam could be in the top 3 for a while!! This week they play Grand Manan.

4-Harvey(3)(0-0)(2-1)-they lost to McAdam handly but had 2 wind against teams you gotta win every game against to be an elite team, this week they play Campobello in what should be the game of the week.

5-Central NB(5)(0-0)(0-0)-Haven't played yet, can't really move them. First game tonight against Nackawic then Stanley later on this week.

6-Dalhousie(4)(0-0)(1-2)-2 losses against top AA and AAA teams and a win, they seem like a middle of the pack caliber team, only time will tell. They play Sugarloaf again this week, depending on the result, they should be safe here. This week it's Sugarloaf,JMH and Matthew Martin.

7-Campobello(Cool(0-0)(2-2)-2 losses to decent teams and 2 wins again less than decent teams, howeve they played a tough 4 games, Tyler Howlett dropped 41 and who knows how good they'll be??? This week it's RNS.

8-Belleisle-(-)(0-0)(1-0)-They won their first game and the talk is they will be tough, gonna have to be to stay here. This week it's Caledonia.

9-Caledonia(-)(0-0)(2-0)-They won a couple so they are here, gonna have to keep winning to stay here though. This week it's Matthew Martin, JMA and Belleisle.

10-Grand Manan-Haven't played yet so I'll keep them here. This week it's McAdam, time to prove yourself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
princess

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:47 pm

I watched the Dalhousie vs SSHS game, sugarloaf beat them by about 30 and Patrick mcnaughton sat out the game with an injury, so the score of next weekends game could be even uglier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I too was at the DRHS / Sugarloaf game. It looked to me like a case of two teams in different places.

Sugarloaf is a well oiled machine. These guys kept right on going after their championship last year, played and practiced all summer (same players on a club team). Everyone knows their role and they are rolling. Biggest problem for them is going to be staying at that level for the entire season. Hard to keep up the work ethic etc. when you are easily beating most of your opponents. Not much competition for them in the North Conference. Look to see them in as many AAA and top AA tournaments as their game limit allows.

Condors went into a bit of a transition since last years AAA season. New coach. Lost their point guard who transfered to another school. Only 4 returning players. Game with SSHS was their first since the changes. You might remember that late last year a club team of DRHS players (including the PG and coach) beat the club team from Sugarloaf. New coach is young , knows the game and will be a real asset. Right now players are being asked to take on different roles. They are trying different arrangements and seeing how they fit. When / if they can get the PG issue figured out they will be fine.

Just a clarification. Sugarloaf and Dalhousie do play this coming weekend in the Miramichi tournament but their opening league game is not until next week . Nov 23 I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
princess

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:38 pm

I agree, once Dalhousie gets their point guard problems figured out they will be a top contender in AA, Their coach is young but knows his stuff and will have them defensive machines by the time playoffs roll around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nighthawks12

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Hey, i'm a player of the nackawic nighthawks. We played our very first game tonight against Central NB.
As you know nackawic has never been a strong suit in basketball. Losing 4 of our starters and 6 players overall last year really made this team go way to the bottom of the rankings to one of the worst (im guessing). Tonight we went on the floor with 12 guys overall and 7 in which were new additions to the team and hadnt played last season.
Haha well the score after a HUGE rebuild was 115-39 for Central NB. I gotta say those guys are good and will contend for a championship. One guy was able to get by me and dunk it Razz.
But we keep our heads up and play ecole st.anne on thursday Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

only way to roll nighthawk. keep your head up. unrelated question but did Lhhs vboys play in a tourney this past weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:27 am

1 - Sugarloaf - Will continue to be until someone can beat them in a meaningful game.
2 - Dallhousie - Clearly struggling out of the gate but have played the best compeition so far, and vs. AA have only lost to the champs.
3 - McAdam - Gets the nod after a big win over Harvey and some other AA competition.
4 - DP - ONe big win vs TV doesn't show you much, but this may be too low a ranking for last years runnerups but I'll move them after they play some better competition and show their pedigree.
5 - Harvey - Surprised they are this low but the score looks like an ugly loss to McAdam. WIthout details I can't put them any higher.
6 - Campobello - This is higher then I would have had them at but two wins has to get you in ahead of winless or teams that have not played.
7 - Central NB - Only game was a win vs. very weak Nackawic, but they showed promise so I'll keep them on the board.
8 - SVHS - Played some people tough in Hartland tournament.
8 - Caledonia - I believe this may be too high for any of the Eastern team but they got some wins this weekend.
9 - GM - Probably better then this ranking, but need to play somebody. Anybody.
10 - Hartland/Fundy - Neither did of these teams did well in their opening weekeds but I believe they are better then anyone not currently on the board.

1 - LHHS - Look loaded if they can keep it together'
2 - BHS - Rolled in their first weekend of competition.
3 - FHS - Defending champs can't over look them.
4 - Riverview - Will be a tough out for any of the above.
5 - KVHS - Skill is there they need to prove they are at the next level.
6 - BMHS - Tough and will get tougher.
7 - OHS - That is right, OHS won a tournament defeating Rothesay in their own final.
8 - WHS - Won the hartland tournament, but their supposed to beat all those teams right.
9 - SSHS - Could be very tough but I need to play to prove it.
10 - Rothesay - Beat all the teams they were suppsoed to in their own tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am

Good Job DJR...this weekend should shed some light on who the contenders are and who the pretenders are... Lions Den tourney at LHHS has em all from the AAA level. LHHS plays Bathurst on Friday , and FHS on Saturday. FHS plays Bathurst on Saturday as well.KVHS , Riverview and woodstock also in the tourney....gonna be a wild weekend with some great hoops.
Schedule : Boys
Friday 2:45 BHS vs LHHS
Friday 6:15 RHS vs WHS
Friday 8:00 FHS vs LHHS

Sat 10:45 KVHS vs RHS
Sat 4:15 KVHS vs RHS
Sat 7:45 BHS vs FHS

Semi's and final on Sunday....looks like some of the best High School hoops NB has to offer...can't wait..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:01 am

way to keep your head up Nighthawk!!!Wish more people werelike you, you guys kept ur head up the entire game and had fun, that' is what this should be about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Today at 9:03 am

Back to top Go down

Top 10 2010-11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next