HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 2010-11

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Defensewinsgames

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:02 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
scorekeep wrote:
I have to agree with many statements regarding the DP program but I think there are 2 other schools in particular that show the same type of results.

Lets begin with McAdam, a school roughly the same size as DP and with a huge amount of talent. Every game I have watched the Warriers play it has been with dicipline and true grit. McAdam is a rural school with none of the advanteges spoken about by coach, mini ball, "y" ball, summer league, bball camp and so on yet they have a team that is top 3 in the provincial AA. Lets face it; the only excuse here for their success is hard work and exceptional coaching. Let me say it again "hard work".

What can be said about Sugarloaf; have these guys lost a game in the past 2 years? Again a relativly small school in a simi-rural area, far from almost all their oponents in distance and talent. Do you think it comes from drinking the water there? I don't think so! Again we have an instance where determination and hard work elevate them above everyone else. Just watch them play, they listen to there coach, they are even tempered, they execute flawlessly and they have confidence in their own abilities.

In a nutshell; it comes down to dicipline and hard work. If you have a group of kids that put aside their respective egos, listen to the coach and put in real effort, you will have a team that can compete in any high school gym in the province.

Really?? Compared to who? 420 students from 9 to 12 - and 80 graduating students.

Biggest 'A' school - 2009 - Bathurst - Single A champions, Single A Junior champions.
Biggest 'A' school - 2010 - Sugarloaf - Single A champions, Single A Junior champions.
2011 - Shall I fill this in ? or shall you? Who do you think the favourite might be? Anybody see a pattern developing ??

Previous to this - when did the Bathurst & Sugarloaf boys win titles when they played similar sized schools?? Uh...huh.

Despite what your girlfriend says - size does matter.......McAdam, Harvey, GM - will always field decent teams, but they do not have the overall depth. If they have a player that can can play from grade 9, they'll usually play senior....that is not the case with 'bigger' schools - those players can stay in junior and develop properly.

For example - 2009 Bathurst beat GM in the junior final by 20, 2010 Sugarloaf beat GM by 25+ in the junior final. Our younger kids just could not compete...for being finals, these were not close.

Some day, someone will figure this out.....nah....I doubt it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Sugarloaf also has/had some native students from outside their school zone that come and play for them. These guys have played together forever and also travel to top level tournaments throughout the States.

I am not saying this is the only or the main factor but it sure would help having these players on your team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:25 am

student, you are correct, School size alone will not make you a championship team. You do need coaching, dedication, hardwork, and commitment from your school.

In the case of Woodstock, they now have closer to 1000 students. That is enough students to be able to field competitive teams to play FHS when you are only picking a team of 10-12 athletes. They would have enough raw talent that good coaches could turn them into excellent ball players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:04 am

Finally a great discussion topic worthy of this forum....( like anybody gives a crap about who has the highest vertical in AA JV boys )....
"it aint the size of the dog in the fight , but the size of the fight in the dog "
It has been some great reading and some valid points made by many....to try to nail down one factor that determines a schools abilty to be successful in any given sport , is impossible. I think 'students" last post says it best as he outlines a lot of factors that need to come together in order to be successful.
Another factor of course , is what the other guys are doing. If SSHS is playing year round , ( summer ball , going to camps , getting in the weight room ...etc) then if you want to compete with them , you need to do the same or more. So when one school builds a soild program from mini to high school, it forces other schools to do the same if they want to compete.
The size of the school becomes a factor , because it is probably easier for large school populations to find 12 kids who will "buy in" to demands put on them in order to be a top team. But the school population is not enough , it just makes it easier ...maybe ??
There will always be anomalies , some of these small schools can compete with the larger ones ( petti used to field teams that would beat FHS on a regular basis , as did GM and Hartland at times ) They go in cycles as a group of kids come through that have a lot of factors together ,attitude , work ethic, a little size ....etc ... and boom put them in the program the school has had for yrs and they compete with the big dogs....then the next group of kids don't have as many of these type of athletes...
Just some thoughts , keep the dialogue going folks it is interesting and educational.. :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

baller24 wrote:
student, you are correct, School size alone will not make you a championship team. You do need coaching, dedication, hardwork, and commitment from your school.

In the case of Woodstock, they now have closer to 1000 students. That is enough students to be able to field competitive teams to play FHS when you are only picking a team of 10-12 athletes. They would have enough raw talent that good coaches could turn them into excellent ball players.

Not to nit pick but:

- WHS has 800-850 kids FHS has in excess of 1800+. That is a thousand more kids, and the complaint is that schools with 2 hundred more are playing each other. Its also probably worth mentioning that FHS is fed by 3+ middleschools with multiple teams, numerous minor/bantam teams, and the school offers Varsity, JV and Exhibition team to develop players. WHS is fed by 1 middle school with 1 team, and wasn't able to offer a JV boys team this year and has had to have an Exh girls team of 8-9 players grades 9-12 the last 3 years since their has not been enough players to have Varsity and JV.

- SImonds high school has 1400 students and with no disrespect intended to the talented, hard working coaches they have their, but I don't think anyone is worried about playing in a league with them.

- Can someone also define this "raw talent" word we are talking about? Are you talking about genetic traits (height, athleticism)? Co-ordination, manipulative skills? Ability to play? THe only "talent" there that doesn't come from training early and often is height and to some degree athleticism. Everything else whether purposefully trainned or not comes from exposure, experience and repetition that is not talent that is practice.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 am

Defensewinsgames wrote:
scorekeep wrote:
I have to agree with many statements regarding the DP program but I think there are 2 other schools in particular that show the same type of results.

Lets begin with McAdam, a school roughly the same size as DP and with a huge amount of talent. Every game I have watched the Warriers play it has been with dicipline and true grit. McAdam is a rural school with none of the advanteges spoken about by coach, mini ball, "y" ball, summer league, bball camp and so on yet they have a team that is top 3 in the provincial AA. Lets face it; the only excuse here for their success is hard work and exceptional coaching. Let me say it again "hard work".

What can be said about Sugarloaf; have these guys lost a game in the past 2 years? Again a relativly small school in a simi-rural area, far from almost all their oponents in distance and talent. Do you think it comes from drinking the water there? I don't think so! Again we have an instance where determination and hard work elevate them above everyone else. Just watch them play, they listen to there coach, they are even tempered, they execute flawlessly and they have confidence in their own abilities.

In a nutshell; it comes down to dicipline and hard work. If you have a group of kids that put aside their respective egos, listen to the coach and put in real effort, you will have a team that can compete in any high school gym in the province.

Really?? Compared to who? 420 students from 9 to 12 - and 80 graduating students.

Biggest 'A' school - 2009 - Bathurst - Single A champions, Single A Junior champions.
Biggest 'A' school - 2010 - Sugarloaf - Single A champions, Single A Junior champions.
2011 - Shall I fill this in ? or shall you? Who do you think the favourite might be? Anybody see a pattern developing ??

Previous to this - when did the Bathurst & Sugarloaf boys win titles when they played similar sized schools?? Uh...huh.

Despite what your girlfriend says - size does matter.......McAdam, Harvey, GM - will always field decent teams, but they do not have the overall depth. If they have a player that can can play from grade 9, they'll usually play senior....that is not the case with 'bigger' schools - those players can stay in junior and develop properly.

For example - 2009 Bathurst beat GM in the junior final by 20, 2010 Sugarloaf beat GM by 25+ in the junior final. Our younger kids just could not compete...for being finals, these were not close.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that Sugarloaf also has/had some native students from outside their school zone that come and play for them. These guys have played together forever and also travel to top level tournaments throughout the States.

I am not saying this is the only or the main factor but it sure would help having these players on your team.
Part of Sugarloaf's student population comes from Listiguj First Nation which is across the river in Quebec, they have gone to HIgh School in Campbellton for as long as I can remember and are in Sugarloafs school zone. Maybe was not your intention but you make it seem like some sort of recuiting that gives them an advantage which it is not. They do not play together anymore than any other community who chooses to run summer program for their basketball.

Don't worry, SUgarloaf will be good this year and next and then they will take a downward slide and be weak for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defensewinsgames

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 am

Maripac30 wrote:
Defensewinsgames wrote:
scorekeep wrote:

Part of Sugarloaf's student population comes from Listiguj First Nation which is across the river in Quebec, they have gone to HIgh School in Campbellton for as long as I can remember and are in Sugarloafs school zone. Maybe was not your intention but you make it seem like some sort of recuiting that gives them an advantage which it is not. They do not play together anymore than any other community who chooses to run summer program for their basketball.

Don't worry, SUgarloaf will be good this year and next and then they will take a downward slide and be weak for a while.

Sorry, it was not my intention to make it seem that they were recruiting. I knew it was not that way. I was only told that they were playing for them and that they were from Quebec so I assumed that they were outside the school zone. I agree that sugarloaf will be a team to contend with for a couple years.

As far as them playing together any more than other club teams (and this is only hearsay) I was told that the Listiguj boys get to play on a First Nation team that gets special funding which permits them to play in these tournaments throughout the states which is nothing against the school but is just one advantage that they have over others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am

Defensewinsgames wrote:
Maripac30 wrote:
Defensewinsgames wrote:
scorekeep wrote:

Sorry, it was not my intention to make it seem that they were recruiting. I knew it was not that way. I was only told that they were playing for them and that they were from Quebec so I assumed that they were outside the school zone. I agree that sugarloaf will be a team to contend with for a couple years.

As far as them playing together any more than other club teams (and this is only hearsay) I was told that the Listiguj boys get to play on a First Nation team that gets special funding which permits them to play in these tournaments throughout the states which is nothing against the school but is just one advantage that they have over others.
You may be right about that but then all First Nations players throughout the province would have the same opportunity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:36 am

Obviously we are in a off week since the topic has gone from top 10 to who recruits - let's just talk about basketball!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am

OK Folks 2yearoldcoach wants to be the moderator for Hooplife:

All those in favor, or not in favor, of giving 2year say over what gets posted on hooplife, please register your vote. (note: this is not an order)

Last edited by scorekeep on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
student

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:47 am

parent told me at thunder tourney this yr that wdstk runs about 700 students.
how do you define raw talent?
athletic
determined
smart
attitude
inheritable body characteristics
combine these traits in some form to get raw talent. a 6'10" player needs attitude, determination, and brains to avoid being a "what if". a 5'10" player needs smarts, attitude, and athleticism to even get off the bench. sad part of bball is that jumping ability is the only part of athleticism that gets recognized. to me all top players have a charateristic way of movement that gets them into the right place at the right time. maybe selflessness is greater than the others?
raw talent is recognized but doesn't stay raw because coaching should soon produce change. talent can't stay raw
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 am

scorekeep wrote:
OK Folks 2yearoldcoach wants to be the moderator for Hooplife:

All those in favor, or not in favor, of giving 2year say over what gets posted on hooplife, please register your vote. (note: this is not an order)

Scorekeep - just keep on topic which is Top 10 not recruiting policies, natives, etc.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:05 pm

20yrcoach sorry to get off topic but i find this change interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Maybe there would be more people competing in the top 10 and less worried about who they play if less people had this attitude:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 am

excellent video coach. great timing too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Maybe there would be more people competing in the top 10 and less worried about who they play if less people had this attitude:

haha.....love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
salmonking

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 am

Just before the Big Dance this Weekend

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. Sugarloaf
4. McAdam
5. Dalhousie
6. Belleisle
7. Calendonia
8. Southern Victoria
9. JMA
10. CNBA

Devon Park vs Harvey will be best game on Saturday, I can't wait!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maripac30

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:52 am

salmonking wrote:

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. Sugarloaf
4. McAdam
5. Dalhousie
6. Belleisle
7. Calendonia
8. Southern Victoria
9. JMA
10. CNBA

Looks about right. Of course the top 2 spots remain to be seen.
Not sure how it will go. Heart says Harvey, Head says DP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defensewinsgames

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 am

Maripac30 wrote:
salmonking wrote:

1. Harvey
2. Devon Park
3. Sugarloaf
4. McAdam
5. Dalhousie
6. Belleisle
7. Calendonia
8. Southern Victoria
9. JMA
10. CNBA

Looks about right. Of course the top 2 spots remain to be seen.
Not sure how it will go. Heart says Harvey, Head says DP

I am saying DP by 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cameron_Frye9

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 am

student wrote:
athletic
determined
smart
attitude
combine these traits in some form to get raw talent. a 6'10" player needs attitude, determination, and brains to avoid being a "what if". a 5'10" player needs smarts, attitude, and athleticism to even get off the bench. sad part of bball is that jumping ability is the only part of athleticism that gets recognized. to me all top players have a charateristic way of movement that gets them into the right place at the right time. maybe selflessness is greater than the others?
raw talent is recognized but doesn't stay raw because coaching should soon produce change. talent can't stay raw

--One thing that I'm not sure you alluded to is the minor systems that each high school has feeding them. How many times have I been in gyms where coaches of a grade 6 team is playing his "best" 3or 4 players and crushing teams by 60 by not pulling back the press or sitting "starters". So many coaches in this province have forgotten the concept of DEVELOPMENTAL leagues. It is us adults (coaches/parents/teachers) who are guilty of developing that poor attitude, and more so allowing it to breed by not confronting poor coaching (& douchey, loud-mouth, obnoxious parents) at the various levels.
For the average fan/parent, if you want to build a bench or see your high school team win a banner, quit your whining, learn the rules and fundamentals of the game, and volunteer!!
For the high school coaches, spend some time with younger coaches, work with the minor leagues, definitely get to know your middle school/JV/Midget coaches and let them know what you're looking to build, it should be just as important to you as your next game plan!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Cameron_Frye9 wrote:
student wrote:
athletic
determined
smart
attitude

--One thing that I'm not sure you alluded to is the minor systems that each high school has feeding them. How many times have I been in gyms where coaches of a grade 6 team is playing his "best" 3or 4 players and crushing teams by 60 by not pulling back the press or sitting "starters". So many coaches in this province have forgotten the concept of DEVELOPMENTAL leagues. It is us adults (coaches/parents/teachers) who are guilty of developing that poor attitude, and more so allowing it to breed by not confronting poor coaching (& douchey, loud-mouth, obnoxious parents) at the various levels.
For the average fan/parent, if you want to build a bench or see your high school team win a banner, quit your whining, learn the rules and fundamentals of the game, and volunteer!!
For the high school coaches, spend some time with younger coaches, work with the minor leagues, definitely get to know your middle school/JV/Midget coaches and let them know what you're looking to build, it should be just as important to you as your next game plan!!
yes that makes alot of sence ,however when you have 4 different sr highschool coaches in as many years and no means to make a stand (well at least one that will address the problem) or a voice when it comes to getting and keeping a coach that concept seems to me to be a bit out of reach, oh and consider , this im told that the sr girls coach at JMA wont coach next year if there is , thats right i said IS a jr girls team .you have a nice day and thank you for your post its right on the money , we here in this area just need to take matters into our own hands and fix this , it is no ones problem but ours, it is not a perfect world for sure .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:08 am

Say what? What's the reasoning behind that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Defensewinsgames

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:10 pm

EastSide wrote:

I have no idea what his/her reasonning is in not coaching with a JV team, but here is my opinion on a JV team in a school like JMA
(like JMA = a school in a conference with no other JV teams). I think it would be better off for the school to register 2 senior teams, 1 regular team and an exhibition team, for the following reasons:

1. If you are concerned about development, the players will be able to have more minutes as they are allowed to play more games in the run of the year and the practice times can be as much as you want.

2. Travel will be greatly reduced. League games in AA JV can be anywhere in the province unless you play in the south where there are more JV teams. Look at the boys this year who had South Vic, JMA, Devon Park and Sugarloaf in a league, the closest one for JMA was in Fredericton over an hour away. I know as an exhibition team others in the league do not need to play against you but you can schedule games against other weaker teams in the league and I know there were other exhibition teams in the east this year (Moncton Christian and Cambridge Narrows... not sure about Chipman) who are all closer as far as travel goes. Therefore reducing costs... admin always likes this.

3. In schools that I have coached at in the past when we have had an exhibition team they often practiced with the regular team (where as the JV team often won't) so they ran the same systems and the players in gr. 9 and 10 were more ready to play when they got to gr 11 and 12 because they were already running the same offence. This also looked after the issue of gym time being lost.

4. With a school size that may not fully support both teams (I am not sure how many players there would be at JMA) the exhibition team would allow for gr 11 and 12 students who may not be able to make the team to still play. I know JMA carried 15 or 16 players this year for some reason.

I don't know what this coache's reasoning is but I would like to know their thoughts on an exhibition team instead of a JV team (if it is in fact true he/she would not coach if there is a JV team).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:50 pm

Defensewinsgames wrote:
EastSide wrote:

I have no idea what his/her reasonning is in not coaching with a JV team, but here is my opinion on a JV team in a school like JMA
(like JMA = a school in a conference with no other JV teams). I think it would be better off for the school to register 2 senior teams, 1 regular team and an exhibition team, for the following reasons:

1. If you are concerned about development, the players will be able to have more minutes as they are allowed to play more games in the run of the year and the practice times can be as much as you want.

2. Travel will be greatly reduced. League games in AA JV can be anywhere in the province unless you play in the south where there are more JV teams. Look at the boys this year who had South Vic, JMA, Devon Park and Sugarloaf in a league, the closest one for JMA was in Fredericton over an hour away. I know as an exhibition team others in the league do not need to play against you but you can schedule games against other weaker teams in the league and I know there were other exhibition teams in the east this year (Moncton Christian and Cambridge Narrows... not sure about Chipman) who are all closer as far as travel goes. Therefore reducing costs... admin always likes this.

3. In schools that I have coached at in the past when we have had an exhibition team they often practiced with the regular team (where as the JV team often won't) so they ran the same systems and the players in gr. 9 and 10 were more ready to play when they got to gr 11 and 12 because they were already running the same offence. This also looked after the issue of gym time being lost.

4. With a school size that may not fully support both teams (I am not sure how many players there would be at JMA) the exhibition team would allow for gr 11 and 12 students who may not be able to make the team to still play. I know JMA carried 15 or 16 players this year for some reason.

I don't know what this coache's reasoning is but I would like to know their thoughts on an exhibition team instead of a JV team (if it is in fact true he/she would not coach if there is a JV team).
As far as i know its true , i was told by several parents of his Sr team, and yes there should be 2 teams i dont care what you want to call it but there should be 2 teams .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 pm

Defensewinsgames wrote:
EastSide wrote:

I was going to avoid responding to the previous post, but since defense wrote this post, I will comment. First, I have not given any ultimatums or even discussed my not coaching with the administration. I don't give ultimatums to my boss and I consider the administration my bosses.

Now, to get the the post from defense. My discussions for next year with the administration have been exactly what was made in your points. To me a JV team is a waste of resources. I carried 17 players this year and would reduce to 12 next year with an exhibition team. There are grade 8's coming up that would have made the team this year if I was taking strictly based on skill. There are some varsity players that would be too old to play JV so would still get to play with an exhibition team. We would have several joint practices a week and the players would be familiar with our systems, so would be an easier transition the next year.

My plan is also to meet with community stakeholders and put together a program based on the Basketball Canada model. It would be great to have a system in place where we could teach the coaches of the younger players how to develop the kids that will be coming up. I'd love to have players arriving in grade 9 with sound fundamentals. A lot easier to continue building on that foundation, then having to undo bad habits or in many cases teach them for the first time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
driver59

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:57 pm

Coachmac wrote:
Defensewinsgames wrote:
EastSide wrote:

I was going to avoid responding to the previous post, but since defense wrote this post, I will comment. First, I have not given any ultimatums or even discussed my not coaching with the administration. I don't give ultimatums to my boss and I consider the administration my bosses.

Now, to get the the post from defense. My discussions for next year with the administration have been exactly what was made in your points. To me a JV team is a waste of resources. I carried 17 players this year and would reduce to 12 next year with an exhibition team. There are grade 8's coming up that would have made the team this year if I was taking strictly based on skill. There are some varsity players that would be too old to play JV so would still get to play with an exhibition team. We would have several joint practices a week and the players would be familiar with our systems, so would be an easier transition the next year.

My plan is also to meet with community stakeholders and put together a program based on the Basketball Canada model. It would be great to have a system in place where we could teach the coaches of the younger players how to develop the kids that will be coming up. I'd love to have players arriving in grade 9 with sound fundamentals. A lot easier to continue building on that foundation, then having to undo bad habits or in many cases teach them for the first time.
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! when i sto laughing i will respond to your coments lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 2010-11   Today at 6:10 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 10 2010-11
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next