HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Fiba Rule Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Underdog

PostSubject: Fiba Rule Changes   Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:08 pm

I found this presentation on the new rule changes. I found it interesting, especially the Unsportsmanlike section. They clear up the situation with a player being fouled while the ball is out of bounds. It is now only an unsportsmanlike foul in the final minute in 30 seconds.
Here is the link:

http://nbaabo.homestead.com/files/FIBA_RULE_CHANGES_2010__2_.pdf
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stripes

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:29 pm

That would be for the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or overtime

Also, keep in mind that any changes that deal with the court markings do not come into effect this year. (ex: key, three point line and the no charge semi-circles)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Stripes wrote:
That would be for the last two minutes of the fourth period and/or overtime

I don't care when it is, this is a terrible rule. Now this is just my opinion, but this rule makes no sense to me. If you want to have officials be able to call an unsportsmanlike if they feel teams are fouling purposefully. Punishing kids who try to play tough defense, particularly those working to get a steal or 5 second call with a unsportsmanlike for accidents or incidental contact.

I won't rant about all the things that are now constituted as unsportsmanlike, but this seems like an easy fix. If he red feels something unsportsmanlike or unethical is going on let them call it that way, don't make it automatic.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:41 pm

Also check out the section on shot clocks. All coaches should be aware of this change. It can certainly affect the way you coach your team in terms of defense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:47 pm

Underdog wrote:
Also check out the section on shot clocks. All coaches should be aware of this change. It can certainly affect the way you coach your team in terms of defense.

How would this in anyway change the way you coach defense?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:00 pm

If you are in a game with 1 or 2 seconds on the shot clock, if the person defending the inbound can get a hand or piece of the ball in anyway. Then the shot clock would run out because it now starts on any teams touch, not just the offensive teams touch.

Also any foul in the frontcourt doesn't get a full reset so in situations where a tough offensive player gets the ball you could essentially trade a foul for a partial reset. That's if your player had fouls to give. This may not seem like a big deal but in a close game in the fourth you could use the hack a shaq philosophy and it would only give the other team a reset of 14.

In the first situation though I would be coaching my players to get a touch on the ball on every inbound, especially when the shot clock is low.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Underdog wrote:
If you are in a game with 1 or 2 seconds on the shot clock, if the person defending the inbound can get a hand or piece of the ball in anyway. Then the shot clock would run out because it now starts on any teams touch, not just the offensive teams touch.

Also any foul in the frontcourt doesn't get a full reset so in situations where a tough offensive player gets the ball you could essentially trade a foul for a partial reset. That's if your player had fouls to give. This may not seem like a big deal but in a close game in the fourth you could use the hack a shaq philosophy and it would only give the other team a reset of 14.

In the first situation though I would be coaching my players to get a touch on the ball on every inbound, especially when the shot clock is low.

As to situation 1 I think you would find that most shot clock hs operators in NB (parents, players, Middle School students) would have been doing this anyway so I can't imagine much of a difference. I'm sure most coaches if they have players who can get a hand on an inbound are already encouraging that.

As to the later, unless I'm reading it wrong you reset to 14 if it was less then 14. As to previously when it was 24. If the foul is committed with more then 14 in the front court, then it stays as it was. So I'm struggling to see how they defense could gain any more advantage then they would have had in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm

In terms of a baseline inbound under your own hoop, In the past I have preferred to leave the inbounder and have my defender play away from the inbounds play in order to be in better position to pick up a cutter. If he is guarding the inbounder then in certain situations he is taking himself out of the play. Especially if the inbound is in the corner. I would highly doubt most coaches are teaching players to tip the inbound pass, mainly because you very rarely see it tipped.

As far as your shot clock operators, I think you need to get new people or start training them. Sure everybody makes mistakes, but for the most part they should be aware of the rule when to start the shot clock.

I would say that most post touches happen when the shot clock is lower, around ten especially if the post is defended well. If I have a legitimate scorer in the post I would foul him when the clock is low and try to better defend the post in the next 14 seconds. Its easier to play tough defense for 14 seconds then it is 24 seconds. In the old rule if i fouled him i have to play tough defense for 24 seconds as opposed to the new rule where i only have to play 14 seconds.

You are right in saying that if the clock is above 14 seconds in the fourth quarter then there is no reset and it stands at what it is.

These new rules are going to have more impact then people think. The backcourt rule has completely changed. FIBA is designing its rules in order to force turnovers in the backcourt. Mainly because turnovers create more scoring. We saw it first with the reduction of 10 seconds to eight seconds. Now you are seeing it with the no reset in the backcourt.

The no reset in the backcourt on fouls also would make coaches think about pressing more, that would be another defensive strategy.

Coaches need to sit down with these new rules and think about what advantage they can gain from the new rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slam Dunk

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:57 am

How often does the shot clock get down to 14 when you only have 8 seconds to get the ball over half?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thehump

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 am

Underdog - to clarify, the shot clock resets as follows:
If the game is stopped for a foul or a defensive violation (not for ball knocked out of bounds), the shot clock shall be reset
1/ to twenty-four (24) seconds when the team is awarded a backcourt throw-in or free-throws.
2/ Stopped but not reset to twenty-four (24) seconds when the same team that previously had control of the ball is awarded a frontcourt throw-in and fourteen (14) seconds or more are displayed
3/ Stopped and reset to fourteen (14) seconds when the same team that previously had control of the ball is awarded a frontcourt throw-in and thirteen (13) seconds or less are displayed

Thus, in your scenario of the backcourt defensive foul, the shot clock would always reset to 24 seconds, since the resulting throw-in will be in the backcourt.

Also, the shot clock will now start, as you note, when any player on the court touches the ball on a throw-in; previously the game clock would start on touch, but the shot clock was not supposed to start until a player established control. While this was "the rule", it was not possible to enforce in most gyms since the shot clock and game clock were programmed to start together. Thus, the shot clock has pretty much always still started on the "tipped throwin".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:44 am

The rule changes and resets are no big deal...they may make out of bounds plays change , thats about it. The backcourt rule has changed slightly, again no biggie , except most coaches won't know it and argue alot :-)
I have watched some college games under the new rules and no big issues into how they play.
The time outs in the last two minutes of a game , now advance the ball all the way to the opponents 3pt line extended , will be an interesting change. It will probably make it easier for high school level teams to create scoring chances off of out of bounds plays.
But the game will still be about speed, making shots , defending , rebounding.....etc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:22 am

obcnamtaf wrote:
. It will probably make it easier for high school level teams to create scoring chances off of out of bounds plays.
But the game will still be about speed, making shots , defending , rebounding.....etc

I have to agree with OBC on this one. As interesting as some of these disucssions are, the teams in this province with more kids who can play at speed, make shots and playing at a higher level more often will be the ones who succeed.

We need all the kids in this province to be better shooters, have better individual skills and be able to execute those skills at speed. I would encourage coaches to work on those things rather then spending time trying to find tactical advantages in the rules or rule changes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiba Rule Changes   Today at 9:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Fiba Rule Changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1