HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2010-2011 Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ominous

PostSubject: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:29 am

Any opinions about who could be forerunners this year? Returning players, transfers, etc. for Senior boys in the province?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:21 pm

Edmonton Public- JP, Shep, and HA
Edmonton Metro- PK(new coach) and Sturgeon both return almost every starter from last year.
South- Raymond- I believe Jimmy Ralph is in his last year and McIntyre gives them a big presence inside. I would rank them as the team to beat.
Calgary- Western is probably the front runner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:41 pm

Raymond after they get their basketball legs should be THE team in 4A this year. Would like to see them leave their football hits on the football field, we are good enough that we dont have to act like the school yard bully or the school
brat to win games! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ezyrain11

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:27 am

The only team in the south that has any chance, that I can see is Raymond.. then in Calgary there is Western who i believe will take it and Edmonton is tough, but Im thinking Shep is gonna win there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 am

Is it going to be a wash in the south for Raymond/Cardston and Magrath? Did the new high school opening in Lethbridge split a lot of teams (CCH and LCI)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Ominous wrote:
Is it going to be a wash in the south for Raymond/Cardston and Magrath? Did the new high school opening in Lethbridge split a lot of teams (CCH and LCI)?

Raymond will be far and away the best team in the south. They only lost 2 players (one starter) that contributed from last years team. They should be legitimate provincial contenders. If not the favorites. The rest of the teams in the south excluding Kainai and Taber will all finish quite close to each other. Cardston lost a lot of players from last year and have a new coach as well. LCI had a couple of kids transfer in and now sport 2 provincial team players on the roster. Medicine Hat will be in the mix as well with there best player returning. Magrath will be improved from last year with a new assistant coach helping out. CCH lost one of there better guards to a soccer school but they should still compete and cause some teams some problems.

I think Raymond is the only team to have a legitimate shot at competing in provincials.

I don't think LCI lost any players to the new school. Not sure about CCH though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
High Flyer

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:47 am

bballspirit wrote:
Edmonton Metro- PK(new coach) and Sturgeon both return almost every starter from last year.
South- Raymond- I believe Jimmy Ralph is in his last year and McIntyre gives them a big presence inside. I would rank them as the team to beat.

Wow bballspirit, those are some "bold" predictions. It's about as bold of a prediction like those guys that every four years when the World Cup of soccer rolls around and tells everyone they know that either Brazil, Germany, or Italy is going to win! Let's review your predictions:

Edmonton Public - same teams year after year yada yada yada. No brainer. Can anyone else in the league touch these three?
Edmonton Metro - probably bang on. Let me add that St. FX and O'Leary will be terrible.
South - no doubt Raymond will be there as long as Jimmy Ralph keeps on scoring at will. Everyone else is significantly weaker.
Calgary - it's always easy to pick the defending Provincial Champion. Are there no other good teams in Calgary?

Let's see some "real" predictions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:03 am

High Flyer wrote:
bballspirit wrote:

Wow bballspirit, those are some "bold" predictions. It's about as bold of a prediction like those guys that every four years when the World Cup of soccer rolls around and tells everyone they know that either Brazil, Germany, or Italy is going to win! Let's review your predictions:

Edmonton Public - same teams year after year yada yada yada. No brainer. Can anyone else in the league touch these three?
Edmonton Metro - probably bang on. Let me add that St. FX and O'Leary will be terrible.
South - no doubt Raymond will be there as long as Jimmy Ralph keeps on scoring at will. Everyone else is significantly weaker.
Calgary - it's always easy to pick the defending Provincial Champion. Are there no other good teams in Calgary?

Let's see some "real" predictions.

Calgary tends to be a crapshoot, every year. There is tons of talent in the off season playing in the clubs but they split up so much during the school year it is tough to predict. Western is always a front-runner. Churchill is always tough. I have no idea where they always find two or three bodies that are 6'5" + every year. Shouldn't Grandin out of be tough? Do they not have a lot of returning players from last years' runner up team? I thought they were loaded with tough grade 11's last year and came out of relative obscurity to end up in the finals. They were tough, but I don't think anyone would have predicted the finals.

I think Edmonton public is the same every year- Shep, Ainley, JP. Scona had their shot last year and couldn't make it due to the stupid format of qualification in the north. They were a solid team.

Metro will be down. Like last year, there will be a couple solid teams and everyone else will fight it out for seeding. Look for Facey to be a tough opponent, though. They have lots of size and are always difficult to break away from. ABJ might make a small noise (more like that gurgling sound just before you fart) because they do have some talent. PK should be loaded with returning players and same with Sturgeon. Sturgeon has the size to really pound hard.

South- what about Magrath? I thought they had a lot of young players, last year. Cardston always has a crop of young players to fill in.

Any others? Bert Church is always tough, provincially. They seem to have fallen off the radar in recent years but they have a strong program and a great catchment area for the school. Same with Okotoks. Are they provincial threats? I know it is early to tell, but people must have seen some kids in the summer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:10 pm

Highflyer- the thread is about who will be strong this year so I gave my opinions, I cannot help it if the same teams are strong year to year but I would say that Sturgeon is a team most people have not heard from in the past. I am not sure what you want for a "real" prediction?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:13 pm

LCI will be a very strong team in the south.
Back to top Go down
NuthinButNet

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:02 am

No one will touch Raymond in the south are you sure LCI is gunna be "very strong?" who do they have besides Clay Gibb?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:19 pm

You're right. The talk in the summer was guys transferring in. They didn't. The roster:

2 Max Drollinger
3 James Atwood
4 Iohane Lowry
10 Jarred Kotkas
11 Clay Gibb
12 Austyn Anderson
20 Dylan Willoughby
21 Jace Hendry
25 Morgan Gunderson
32 Brett Neil
33 Nabaa Alam

They play Raymond on the 10th and it shouldn't be close. They have a home tournament this weekend. Anyone have the LCI tournament draw?
Back to top Go down
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 pm

CYDC that is last years roster. The only transfer I know of is Colten Murray from Picture Butte.

The LCI tournament this year is a joke. I can only see that there are 2 4A teams unless Bellerose is 4A.

Here is the draw

LCI - Immanuel Christian
Chinook(new school in Lethbridge)-Bellerose
Cochrane-Picture Butte
Vulvan County Central-Didsbury

Should come down to a Cochrane-LCI final.

So sad to see this once good tourney take such fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canada1

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:01 am

Bellerose is 4A but play in Edm Metro City. They did beat Chinook tonight 73-71. A bit of a shock. I do agree the LCI tourney has gone downhill. Alot of 2A teams. Not much competition for LCI and Cochrane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:21 am

Keep posting the results if you know them.
Back to top Go down
canada1

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 am

LCI over Immanuel Chistian by 40.

I will try and update the others in the morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kraull

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

I watched a couple games at Mike Dea. Again I'll note the lack of any one "BIG" man that anyone was using.
Sturgeon did have a whole squad of bigs but Shep was able to slip past. I note that 2 of Shep's returning Seniors and tallest players were on the sidelines and injured.
Scona has moved Coach Lotz up from the Junior squad to the Seniors. They may be something to keep an eye on in Edmonton Public.
FX had to use overtime to get past the team from Sask. - Leboldus. It looked like all the tall guys fouled out before the end of regulation.
JP easily handled O'leary. O'leary has no height and was totally relying on 3's and then everyone crashing the boards. JP's smallest players went right thru them on offense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:24 am

CYDC wrote:
You're right. The talk in the summer was guys transferring in. They didn't. The roster:

2 Max Drollinger
3 James Atwood
4 Iohane Lowry
10 Jarred Kotkas
11 Clay Gibb
12 Austyn Anderson
20 Dylan Willoughby
21 Jace Hendry
25 Morgan Gunderson
32 Brett Neil
33 Nabaa Alam

They play Raymond on the 10th and it shouldn't be close. They have a home tournament this weekend. Anyone have the LCI tournament draw?

this roster of lci is of last years team... they lost 6 of these guys... they aquired colten murray from butte and now have 2 team alberta stars. and have a decent starting line up...they should compete with raymond now because they finally have the size to compete with macintire. jimmy will score no doubt ..but it should be closer then last years. lets not write lci off this early
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:47 am

I agree LCI will be better (may even make provincials) but still not able to compete with Raymond. Unless there is more than Colten they still do not have the size to deal with Raymond. Raymond will have a decided advantage over ever team in the south when it comes to size. I guess we will find out on the 10th when they play.

By the way LCI lost there home tourney to Cochrane on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 am

yes lci lost to cochrane on the weekend...but if you watched that game it all came down to coaching. lci was in a huge hole in the first 5 minutes and any good coach calls a time out and rallies his guys..the only timeout called was to stuff kleenex in gibbs nose... that was in the 2nd half. lci was raddled early and because of their free for all ways they played crappy. talent wise lci isnt as deep as raymond but gibb is smart and he knows how to play ball...no maybe lci wont beat raymond...they will be out coached and what raymond lacks in overall talent they make up in aggression and athletisism...but lci should come #2 in that zone with cardston really loosing their key guys in mcmurray and hartly they will lack size. the league this yr will be alot weaker than last as a whole..and it will come down to lci and raymond..where raymond should beat them but it should be competitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kobe16

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:15 am

So what does that mean about cochrane? They must be pretty dam good to beat lci!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 am

lets keep in mind that lci won their first games in their 2 a tournament by 40-50 points...when you are poorly coached and think yoiu are going to beat a team by the same score as the night before...you dont play good...they came out flat and found themselves in a huge hole and had to fight back the whole game... once they started letting there stars go to work, all of a sudden they were close...poor reffing at the end blew that game... yes lci played like garbage...and right now raymond beats them by 40 yes. im saying lci has individual talent. and really so did last years team. they just didnt have the big guy, and last year you had to have one in that league. with bigs like tyson, grady, travis, and brandon, this yr they have the big guy and can some what defend raymonds bigs... and luckily raymond is the only team with a legit talented bigman, that i know of anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:41 am

Who was 3rd and 4th after Cochrane and LCI?

Lebron/Kobe - you are obviously from Cochrane so are those grade 10 players we saw in spring league playing on that team? I don't know any names but anyone could tell Cochrane would have a good team this year. I assume there are a couple of the jr dinos players from cochrane and the Genesis guard playing for you guys.
Back to top Go down
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:42 am

I agree LCI will compete but i don't think it will be with Raymond. They will definitely compete with Magrath (who beat Cardston in the Magrath tournament final), Catholic Central (who beat Magrath in league), Cardston, and Medicine Hat. Any one of those teams could beat the other on a given night. So LCI may be improved but not near enough to compete with Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:55 pm

In Edmonton tonight page beat shep on a buzzer beater. Does this make page a contender? Is shep weaker than everybody anticipated? Or was it a fluke, any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010-2011 Boys   Today at 5:47 am

Back to top Go down

2010-2011 Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next