HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Players and Teams in AA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:32 am

I agree with Maripac....it's a school/coach/players decision to stay in your division or play up...props to DRHS and Grand Manan for challenging their kids to be more than they are...and props to SSHS for building a solid program and building a winning tradition in their school..... I am reminded of an old expression my Coach used to use

"don't judge success by what you get for it , but by what you become because of it . " :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 am

I think each school needs to make the decision based on the coaches they have, the players potential both on and off the court, and support from outside the program.

If you've got the coaching, players and support of your community to play at the highest possible level then go for it.

If you are missing one of these things then a decision like that can throw a program into chaos.

I think what Dalhousie and GM have done over the past few years has been admirable. To be fair though each of these programs was in the top 3/4 teams in the level they moved up to. Each had the basketball background and pedigree to make the program transition smoothly. Each had players (with families) whose goal was to make sure they're kids played at the next level, the best competition gave them exposure and opportunities they couldn't have had in the lower levels.

WHat if a team has no players with ambitions or options to play after high school but are really good ?Should we ask them to take the highest level of basketball they can succeed at and say give up a chance to go out a winner, and help the rest of the schools your size out? What if the parents won't support the travel or costs of playing at a higher level? SHould they risk tanking their program to do this?

(FYI I have no idea what the parent or players interests are in many schools in the province other then my own or those where i have contacts .)

To say someone should go up a category because they are better then the other programs is a poor arugment. Sugarloaf is not better then the schools they are playing because of the economic resources in Northern NB, or since they have more kids then schools they play (they beat bigger schools too), or because of some magic fluke of genetics and timing. They had kids come through a solid feeder program and now their kids train and play as much as anyone in the province. Which anyone anywhere can do if their kids, coaches, and suporters want it.

The real issue is that some teams and schools want their league to reftlect the amount of time, travel and effort their kids are currently willing put in. So that means we would need 40+ divisions of play rather then 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breaker-96-99

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:43 am

CoachDJR wrote:

(
The real issue is that some teams and schools want their league to reftlect the amount of time, travel and effort their kids are currently willing put in. So that means we would need 40+ divisions of play rather then 2.

good point.
not too long ago, the top A teams could have competed at AA, some at AAA, like the Hartland teams of the late 90's. As well, many AAA schools were huge on hockey/rugby leaving the basketball teams with a small talent pool.
there is no way to make a perfect division/league, so sometimes the best solution is to simplify instead of having 3 or 4 divisions, even though you will have some larger schools in AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dixon34

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Justin Corey drops 58 against Sussex Christain school, minto only beat them by 20 points or so. SCS was missing probably thier best player Jordan Hickman. so it would be good to see these two teams play when Jordan Hickman is actually there.. they also only had six players there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
princess

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:47 pm

1. Pat Macnaughton- Can score the ball well from anywhere, does most his damage from the three point line. Good passer and leader on the floor for the bruins.

2. Brandon Moffitt- Great scorer and rebounder, hes doing everything he can to make Macadam a contender.

3. Justin Correy- Can flat out score, i havnt seen him play this season but i heard about his 58 point game, monsterous!!

4. Brandon Meikle- Good shooter, exellent slasher, hes a big time player.

5. Eric Johnson- Very good 3 point shooter, and a very good offensive rebounder.

6. Ryan Hunter- Very good 3 point shooter and can slash and play good defense as well.

7. Joe Maxwell- Probably the best defnder in AA, a strong atheletic player with a good head for the game and is very good at getting to the hoop.

8. Gordon Robinson- the second best post player in AA next to justin correy, hes has a good touch around the basket and is a decent shot blocker as well.

9. J.D Wysote- Very strong post player, defensive presence, doesnt have flashy moves but is a great rebounder and get the job done around the basket.

10. Jarred Paterson- Atheletic post player who has a decent shooting touch, with hard work he could be a dominant player in the province.

also ive heard a lot about players such as Tyler Howlett, Jordan Green and matt cookson but i havnt seen them play so i cant include them in the top ten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dixon34

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

what is your opinion on #15 from stanley blair bartlett ?
princess wrote:
1. Pat Macnaughton- Can score the ball well from anywhere, does most his damage from the three point line. Good passer and leader on the floor for the bruins.

2. Brandon Moffitt- Great scorer and rebounder, hes doing everything he can to make Macadam a contender.

3. Justin Correy- Can flat out score, i havnt seen him play this season but i heard about his 58 point game, monsterous!!

5. Eric Johnson- Very good 3 point shooter, and a very good offensive rebounder.

6. Ryan Hunter- Very good 3 point shooter and can slash and play good defense as well.

7. Joe Maxwell- Probably the best defnder in AA, a strong atheletic player with a good head for the game and is very good at getting to the hoop.

8. Gordon Robinson- the second best post player in AA next to justin correy, hes has a good touch around the basket and is a decent shot blocker as well.

9. J.D Wysote- Very strong post player, defensive presence, doesnt have flashy moves but is a great rebounder and get the job done around the basket.

10. Jarred Paterson- Atheletic post player who has a decent shooting touch, with hard work he could be a dominant player in the province.

also ive heard a lot about players such as Tyler Howlett, Jordan Green and matt cookson but i havnt seen them play so i cant include them in the top ten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
princess

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:50 pm

Ive heard of him on a few of the top tens but i personally havnt seen him play yet this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:27 pm

I think Blair is a good player, just not top 10 just yet. Princess I love your picks, I'd have Tyler Howlett on there though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 pm

princess wrote:

Very good top ten, i agree with Boas to have Tyler Howlett in the ranking. Ive actually seen the three players mentioned play, Matt Cookson is a great shooter a little inconsistant at times and hes also a smart slasher but not so much aggressive if he keeps it up i really think he deserves to be listed. Jordan Green is the most over rated player, he is a good offensive player but very slack on defence and assumes the ball is going to fall to him on the boards he makes very little effort. Im not dissing Grand Manan at all, im from there, but i seen zach pothier take his team over his back in this wknds game against Campobello
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm

CharlotteCountyBall wrote:
princess wrote:

Very good top ten, i agree with Boas to have Tyler Howlett in the ranking. Ive actually seen the three players mentioned play, Matt Cookson is a great shooter a little inconsistant at times and hes also a smart slasher but not so much aggressive if he keeps it up i really think he deserves to be listed. Jordan Green is the most over rated player, he is a good offensive player but very slack on defence and assumes the ball is going to fall to him on the boards he makes very little effort. Im not dissing Grand Manan at all, im from there, but i seen zach pothier take his team over his back in this wknds game against Campobello

Yes you are probably right. Jordan makes a lot more effort then Jeremy Ellis did last year..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:54 pm

Baller 2010-11 wrote:
princess wrote:

Yes you are probably right. Jordan makes a lot more effort then Jeremy Ellis did last year..

Scoring wise he was there leading scorer, Jeremy and Tyler were captains last year. Jordan didnt make any impact on defence and rebounding like he did
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:56 pm

[quote="CharlotteCountyBall"][quote="Baller 2010-11"]
princess wrote:

I watched Ellis in the SJ tournament , and he didnt really know what was going on. His coach would call out plays , and he didnt know what was going on. He might of been a captain, but he did not show it on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlotteCountyBall

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 pm

[quote="Baller 2010-11"][quote="CharlotteCountyBall"]
Baller 2010-11 wrote:
princess wrote:

I watched Ellis in the SJ tournament , and he didnt really know what was going on. His coach would call out plays , and he didnt know what was going on. He might of been a captain, but he did not show it on the court.

I would of sworn he won MVP of that tournament? One stat he scored 38 to beat Saint John High in that tournament, he averaged about 15-20 a game. he was key, tyler was key, jordan was a go to guy offensively thats all ive ever seen in him. Jordan was really known for not following up with plays and hes even doing it this year. speaking to one of the coaches... I assume you play for GM this year, you know how it was last year. Im just disappointed in them because its reoccuring every year,i dont think it has to do with the coaching. Unless your Jordan Green, you have the right to full out defend yourself eh eh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Brandon Moffitt is arguably the best AA player in New Brunswick.
However, I will admit that it is a pleasure to watch Matt Cookson play. It is like a Cinderella story, watching the small town boy from Nowheresville sink 3 pointer after 3 pointer. Rumour has it he is also a fan favourite among the female contingency. Wink Aah to be young again and surrounded by groupies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 pm

rap$tar wrote:
However, I will admit that it is a pleasure to watch Matt Cookson play. It is like a Cinderella story, watching the small town boy from Nowheresville sink 3 pointer after 3 pointer. Rumour has it he is also a fan favourite among the female contingency. Wink Aah to be young again and surrounded by groupies.

Hahaha....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
believer

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:34 am

rap$tar wrote:

rumour also has it that he will be back at full force over the christmas break from an ankle injury.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:43 am

I thought he played a bit this week against Petty, Believer? Could you give me some details about that game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
believer

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:34 am

im not sure, i was not at the petty game. all i know is that he sprained his ankle some time ago and will be back and playing strong for any games over the break. do you know if he played or not? does anyone? i'd be interested to know..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rap$tar

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Seems like Belleisle is having some trouble keeping their boys out of injury and academic trouble. From what I heard, he played very few minutes versus Petty, luckily they have a very underrated point guard Brody Jackson who apparently filled in the void quite wonderfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celts4

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:14 pm

brody jackson is definately a surprise player. amazing handling skills, good shooter, extremely quick. he has earned a spot to the starting line. he has worked hard and has improved immensly. having brody and matt starting together will make it easier to get the ball up the floor when one or the other is being pressured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
salmonking

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:32 pm

Merrt Christmas players see you guys after the break!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballguru

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:12 am

I have just been doing some thinking. New body on this site but I'm an avid reader. Players down south get WAY too much recognition. I admit Moffit and Corey are some great players, but look who they are playing against. Not to offend the southern teams, but its just like playing 5-0 so no wonder they score 40+ a game. Dalhousie is a very underestimated team considering their record 1-2 is consisting of 2 Sugarloaf games. ONE of which, the most recent, was only lost by 3 points. People will make excuses for sshs saying they had a cold shooting night but I am a firm believer that good defense creates a bad offense! One player, number 2 for Dalhousie, was playing on one foot all night (chipped bone) and had some like 5 or 6 steals, did his part on boxing out so others could grab rebounds. Another player who isn't mentioned but defends and boards like a monster, is #14 Myles Bernard. #12 Ryan Hunter hit something like 6,7, or 8 3s, he didn't get barely any recognition as one of the top players in NB. Not only because he scored so much, but he did it against the best rather than the bottom of the pit. He didn't do much scoring, 4 points, but I think he did alright on defense as well as the rest of the condors team to hold the champions to win only by 3. Personally I think the north should get more recognition than they do, they aren't blowing teams out by 30 and 40 but they are playing the champs. Opposed to these key players with no support like Moffit and Justin Corey, scoring 40 a game. I am anxiously awaiting the game where Dalhousie plays any of these teams. Thats all I have to say for now folks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballguru

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:20 am

That was a lot of disrespect to all south teams, but until they prove themselves, I wont feel different. Ill give my props to Devon Park for their hard work and talent. That is about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballguru

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:23 am

Sshs is number one team to beat, hands down. But Dalhousie showed glimpses of hope for their chances as well. Devon park also seems promising as well. Those are my top 3 teams in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Jaxxson

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:56 am

Until Dalhousie actually plays Devon, Mcadam and the good teams in the south i can't put them in the top 3 discussion just yet i still think SSHS, Devon Park, Mcadam, and Harvey on the top 4 teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Players and Teams in AA   Today at 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Top Players and Teams in AA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next