HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Best Senior Players in the North

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Additions to the Top Ten   Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:30 pm

theriaultballer12 wrote:
Matt Bertolisi from Basil's
Sam Levac from West Ferris
Aidan Chard from St, Mary's
Alex Morrison from St. Mary's
josh arlauskis from thvs
correy wabano from thvs
brandon blais from thvs
charlie from west ferris
braydon ritchie from OG of timmins
and theres another kid from basils who ive heard was pretty good, good outside shooter dont know his name

this in no particular order at all, but theres kids from each area, except sudbury, becaus ei didnt see anything special from lasalle nor lockerby when they were in timmins

I would add Shawn Humphreys from Chippewa, Cole Bertolisi (Matt's Younger brother - Basil's), Mitch Mazzuca (Grade Ten - Basils, plays point for Basils) and Devin Nicholson (centre - St. Marys) Basketball

Is anybody from Timmins coming to play the Vetrie this weekend? There are some great teams here (Mount Zion Prep, Uruqary's nationa under 17 team and teams from Toronto)!

Great list and a good start to a conversation.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
theriaultballer12

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:18 am

mitch was the other basils kid i was talking about, him and matt
and unfortunatly not, OG and TH are both in petawawa, where TH is defending there championship, and well me and my team, we dont travel haha, we been in gold cup, zenon and going to franco thats it
but i must say, ive heard that charlie kid for ferris did work on th in the final in orillia this past weekend, where ferris had beaten them by 6 with out sam levac, 2-1 series for th over ferris this season, the 3 timmins high kids i had named are all very great players, as i said josh is a center to look out for and corry wabano is very long and can shoot the jumper very well, brandon blais is a outside shooter, who is gettin recruited by #1 college algonquin, that is why id have him in my top 10, i understand braydon didnt seem to good vs marys, but its hard when hes a one man show, no one to create for him what so ever, but bertos younger brother, i have not heard much about yet, th guys told me that berto and mitch are the only guys that did serious damage to them, and have no seen chip play nor heard of them that much this year, so i would not know of chippewa, but like i said, these are some of the top players from timmins that should be or at least compete to be on there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Additions   Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 am

Cole Bertolissi just won MVP in a small inter-Sault tournament that was held this weekend. He is on the small side, a little shorter than his older brother but can shot the lights out from three, which really stretches out a zone. Due to his size he is a little shy about taking it inside but can if necessary. Basketball

Are there any decent players from schools north of Timmins?

As NEOSSA is upcoming, who besides Timmins High will have a chance of going to OFSAA ("A" or "AAA")?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inside the lines

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 am

The Charlie you speak of is Charlie Hancock from West Ferris, and he was hands down the best player this weekend at the Blackball in Orillia, he went off for 29 in the final against Timmins, not bad considering he had a guy in his jersey most of the game. The Timmins guys on the list are good role players, but they seemed to have trouble getting their own shots, but again good team players. I would put both Levac and Hancock ahead of any player from Timmins on any list

Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:59 am

inside the lines wrote:
The Charlie you speak of is Charlie Hancock from West Ferris, and he was hands down the best player this weekend at the Blackball in Orillia, he went off for 29 in the final against Timmins, not bad considering he had a guy in his jersey most of the game. The Timmins guys on the list are good role players, but they seemed to have trouble getting their own shots, but again good team players. I would put both Levac and Hancock ahead of any player from Timmins on any list

Which of the starters from last years "AAA" final game is Hancock?

Does Timmins play good man-on-man defence or do they play zone?

Again it would have been nice to see both West Ferris and Timmins at the Vetrie this weekend! Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theriaultballer12

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:38 pm

NEOAA doesnt have any AAA rep, our A rep is going to be between Kap or O`Gorman both not the strongest of teams and our AA is of course TH
Hard to say Charlie is better then any of these players from timmins when he has had 1 good game against timmins high, the other 2 ive heard that it was mainly brady and sam, but ever since peterborough where timmins won by 3, brady rolled his ankle after nailing 4 straight 3`s, charlie yet didnt do anything, and when timmins beat ferris in their home gym in their home tournament yet again charlie i heard went maybe 1 for 15, hard to say this kid is above them if he went off in one game? just my opinion, considering josh arlauskis went to work on ferris in orillia as well did brandon blais, correy wabano as well did a lot of key things, so i hear from the boys, the team does play a lot like a team, but when needing someone to step up seems like they have some guys who do so, but thats your opinion, ive seen these guys play, and they dont seem to have troubles creating own shots, like is aid can`t be having much troubles if a #1 school is looking at one of these kids for their upcomming season...
timmins can play a decent man, but play mostly zone, their zone is pretty affective though
it`d be nice to see ferris play timmins for a 4th time this season in their home gym at ofsaa, should be a good ofsaa this year considering GL is ranked high apparantly and timmins lost to them by 6-7 with some bad turnovers, should be a good OFSAA like i said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: West Ferris - This Year vs Last Year?   Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Do we think that West Ferris is better this year than they were last year? Do they have any size in the middle? Who is the annual transfer to W.F.?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theriaultballer12

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm

Ferris is the same team as last year! they`re very out matched to bigger teams down low, but they shoot the ball really well, they`re transfer is sam levac, pretty good at slashign the lane, lets see if they can do some damage at OFSAA Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Will West Ferris even make it to OFSAA?   Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 am

theriaultballer12 wrote:
Ferris is the same team as last year! they`re very out matched to bigger teams down low, but they shoot the ball really well, they`re transfer is sam levac, pretty good at slashign the lane, lets see if they can do some damage at OFSAA Smile

Firstly, there will be two NOSSA reps at OFSAA, at least one from North Bay plus the winner from NOSSA. I believe that St. Basils will win NOSSA, either against Chippewa or West Ferris and that would give them an automatic bid and that means that West Ferris comes in the back door. If Chippewa wins North Bay and loses at NOSSA then that means that West Ferris is no better then third is the region, and this is only if Chippewa is in the finals.

All this means is that West Ferris is unlikely to cause any damage at all at OFSAA, unless of course they get the usual referee preference that usually occurs at the West Ferris gym! Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachT

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I think NOSSA only gets 1 entry for their winner and the host team (West Ferris) would get a the host bid. So it would be 2 total.

I might be wrong but......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inside the lines

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 pm

coacht you are correct, Ferris is automatically in as the host, and the NOSSA Champ gets in, unless Ferris wins, then the loser of that game is in.

And as for the reffing issue, there usually are 16 refs assigned to an ofsaa, i do believe that 3 maybe 4 of the 16 will be from North Bay, the rest come from outside areas, i.e. sudbury, sault, Barrie, Ottawa, York etc.. Plus North Bay (Algonquin) in hosting "A" Ofsaa so maybe all the North Bay quality officials will be there instead, who really knows?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 am

inside the lines wrote:
coacht you are correct, Ferris is automatically in as the host, and the NOSSA Champ gets in, unless Ferris wins, then the loser of that game is in.

And as for the reffing issue, there usually are 16 refs assigned to an ofsaa, i do believe that 3 maybe 4 of the 16 will be from North Bay, the rest come from outside areas, i.e. sudbury, sault, Barrie, Ottawa, York etc.. Plus North Bay (Algonquin) in hosting "A" Ofsaa so maybe all the North Bay quality officials will be there instead, who really knows?

So, as I understand it, the two teams in the NOSSA "AA" finals held in the Sault will be going to the OFSAA "AA" tourney at West Ferris!

Also, will all the games be held at West West Ferris or among the other schools in North Bay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 pm

So you are saying that there is a possibility that West Ferris might not even be in the ofsaa tournament that they are hosting? I know that when we hosted in Ottawa, the two teams that got in had to be the two teams in the city final. Our association does not have a host school but rather a collection of host schools thus we have to earn our way in. However, in Kingston last year, Frontenac was the host school and were in ofsaa no matter what, so the rest of the teams were playing for the right to represent with the second bid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: NOSSA Reps   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:11 pm

I think that I did not state my case clearly enough. I am assuming that West Ferris would be in the NOSSA "AA" finals held in the Soo, plus one other team (right now I believe it will be either St. Basil's or St. Mary's, the Sudbury and North Shore rep should not be in the picture). So in that case both teams would go.

As West Ferris is undefeated in North Bay city play I am assuming that they would be the North bay rep at NOSSA. If somehow they lose in the city play-downs they would still go to OFSAA and then only the winner of NOSSA "AA" would go to OFSAA.

Please correct me if I am mistaken!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inside the lines

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:22 pm

that's right, its Ferris (no matter whether they win or lose NDA or NOSSA) and 1 other NOSSA rep.

Games are being played at West Ferris, Nipissing U. and Widdifield...i think
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seabiscuit

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 pm

I was wondering if any other areas are starting to see more clearly who the AA reps may be.....
Maybe we can put a list together of who to look out for in the upcoming weeks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: NOSSA reps for OFSAA   Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:19 pm

inside the lines wrote:
that's right, its Ferris (no matter whether they win or lose NDA or NOSSA) and 1 other NOSSA rep.

Games are being played at West Ferris, Nipissing U. and Widdifield...i think

I was speaking to some coaches from Sudbury this weekend and they tell me that West Ferris has an automatic OFSAA bid and that if they (West Ferris) win NOSSA then the second rep will be from North Bay. I think that there should be some clarification from either NOSSA or OFSAA on this issue! Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
seabiscuit

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:35 pm

so does that mean basils doesnt get it at all...will they now go aaa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Will Basil's be in   Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm

seabiscuit wrote:
so does that mean basils doesnt get it at all...will they now go aaa

I personally think that they can beat West Ferris. Basil's had a good tournament this weekend. They went three and one for the weekend including a win over St. Christopher's from Sarnia and a loss to Mount Zion. They are getting better and should rank high for OFSAA.

All that said, whomever wins cities get to choose so we will know next weekend. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theriaultballer12

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:40 pm

how many players are going to play at the next level next season from the north?
Timmins High guard Brandon Blais is committed to Durham, Dwayne Gillies committed to Fleming, Correy Wabano to Guelph and O`Gorman guard Braydon Ritchie has committed to Cambrian college
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:27 am

Matt Bertolisi of St. Basils is going to Waterloo. David Glibota from St. Marys is either going to Georgian or Niagara! Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Run&Gun92

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Who are the next year projected stars for next year? I know St.Basils had two under-classmen that played significant minutes so im asuming their pretty good. What bout other kids for Timmins Or NorthBay that will be impact players next year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Norman Dale

PostSubject: New Stars   Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Run&Gun92 wrote:
Who are the next year projected stars for next year? I know St.Basils had two under-classmen that played significant minutes so im asuming their pretty good. What bout other kids for Timmins Or NorthBay that will be impact players next year?

Maybe Kris Faucon (gr12) from Chippewa, though the team itself will be weak. Jake Tsougas (fifth year) from West Ferris but again a star on a weak team. Mario Bruni and Alex Paluzzi from Basil's should be standouts (fifth years). I do not know the kid's name from Notre Dame in Sudbury but he is a prolific scorer (dropped 48 or so on CASS at the Vetrie). Anthony Iacoe from Korah and there are about 6 fifth year guys on St. Mary's.. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Stockton's Shorts

PostSubject: Best Players in the North - 2011/2012   Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:54 am

Run&Gun92 wrote:

1). Speedy lead guard from LaSalle (unsure of his name) - maybe someone can tell me;
2). Scorer from CND (coaches son);
3). Two players from Algonquin in North Bay (both played on the JDP team last year);
4). Mitch Mazzuca, Mario Bruni & Nick Paluzzi from St. Basil's;
5). Anthony Iacoe from Korah;
6). Chris Glibota from Superior Heights (great defender);
7). Aidan Chard from St. Mary's;
Cool. Alex Losier &
9). Josh Arlauskis'
10). Kris Faucon &
11). Jonah Fogg from Korah for the future (6'-11" Grade Ten student).

Please Theriaultballer, enlighten me of the players from Timmins and the surrounding area.

Last edited by John Stockton's Shorts on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theriaultballer12

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 am

well some of the Timmins guys to watch for this year at the senior level are, Alex Losier, Josh Arlauskis of Timmins High, Timmins High has some solid players, but these are the 2 that stand or will stand out the most, as of OGorman or Theriault, there is nothing to watch for, but at the junior level for OGorman they do have 5 guys, and these 5 guys had taken the tomahawk this previous weekend defeating Anderson, Lockerby, and another down south team, Timmins High juniors also have a couple guys that will be something to watch for in the near future, Josh Arlauskis from the Timmins High senior team is going to be the biggest stand out, sitting at the center position, very strong and athletic, not many teams will be able to stop him, should be interesting,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Senior Players in the North   Today at 11:01 pm

Back to top Go down

Best Senior Players in the North
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next