HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAA ISLAND 2010

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VIBALL

PostSubject: AAA ISLAND 2010   Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:17 pm

As the Season approaches and teams start practicing there has been a lot of emphasis on Lower Mainland but what about the Island for 2010 at the AAA Level. What are your thoughts on this? What will the rankings be like?

I would see it as:

Dover: Had a young squad last year that in there junior year lost to claremont in the Island final, they did not have Center Jason Mckee and had a new guard last year that was not there in there grade 10 year. Always a well coached team and a favorite to be in the island final.

Claremont: Very strong group of kids who won the island junior title without there point guard who was playing senior. They will be the favorite to win the south as they return a large part of there team.

Belmont: Kevin Browns group that he has had for the last few years will be a quick group that plays various kinds of zones and will look to stun teams with there defence.

Oak Bay: Now in a post Pribilsky Era oak bay's coach will have to see what he can do without a superstar scorer, more of the team will be involved, but they graduated a large part of there team last year.

Mount Doug: Mount doug is a very young squad that had some success at the Junior level, they will give a run for the city championship.

Cowichan: Mitch K will be there go to guy and they will look to go to him as much as they can, Cowichan may be in one of its weaker years but they should be able to qualify for islands and make a run.

What are your thoughts on the island? Best players on the island? and favorites to win island championships
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kb24

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:54 am

Best players are Drake Downer from Oak Bay, really improved his shooting. Also Elliot Rowe and Conor Morgan, Gurpinder Kang from MD and Grade 10 Mathew Hampton from OB who was on the provincial blue team this summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballinfrls

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Gurpinder Kang shouldn't be on that list . hes average , nothing to really be excited about
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kb24

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:01 pm

you will see
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballinfrls

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:48 am

Okay , prove me wrong haha . Mitch K from Cowichan is a great player with a very smooth shot , he will carry the load this year for Cowichan , although i dont see much of a supporting cast i think they will still make provincials
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VIBALL

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:02 am

Cowichan is always a well coached highly competitive squad. Mat Hampton is a great player and Drake is good too. I would have Jason Mckee and Mitch Knippleberg as the best two players on the island though. Both very athletic hard working players playing for programs with great coaching. Mount doug will have great coaching as I hear they have there old coach back but the coaching of Mark Simpson on the island is unparalelled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 am

hows mt doug junior squad anyone know
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballinfrls

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 am

I'm predicting a Oak Bay/ Dover final , and Cowichan and Mt. Doug fighting it out for the final birth to provincials
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kb24

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:57 am

I don't know how good he will be this year but he works really hard. And Oak Bay in the final Im not so sure about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
islandball9

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:39 am

Dover Bay/Claremont final

That's if Claremont is returning all of the players I assume that they are.
Dover will win the island.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
elite

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:33 pm

ballinfrls wrote:
I'm predicting a Oak Bay/ Dover final , and Cowichan and Mt. Doug fighting it out for the final birth to provincials
couldnt agree more. i think thats how its gonna be to and i think dover is going to come out on top
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VIBALL

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:50 am

I see Dover as the stronger team, it is there year to win I think. Claremont will give them a run if they can get there act together and Oak Bay will be solid once again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Vancouver Island "AAA" Rankings   Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:17 pm

The pre-season Vancouver Island "AAA" rankings have been released.

www.sportvictoria.com

Enjoy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
VIBALL

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Rankings look very good, not sure about the 1 and 2 spot as of right now. There big man has quit the team and this is not the one that started for them, and in there team picture there point guard is on crutches. Rumour has it that he is going to be out till the new year so I wonder if he will be able to get back into the swing of things. Mount Doug will also be a team to lookout for this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Pre-season rankings   Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:11 pm

VIBALL wrote:
Rankings look very good, not sure about the 1 and 2 spot as of right now. There big man has quit the team and this is not the one that started for them, and in there team picture there point guard is on crutches. Rumour has it that he is going to be out till the new year so I wonder if he will be able to get back into the swing of things. Mount Doug will also be a team to lookout for this year!

It's all a bit of a crap shoot for the first two weeks as you're making educated guesses for the first one and then you have partial teams for the next weekend - some teams are missing guys for football and volleyball. So it makes it interesting.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hyphybus

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:54 pm

If you can have jason and mitch being the top players this year, then you have to have drake up there too. After coming back from the knee injury he suffered, he clearly more than showed at cities and the island championships that he's one of the top players this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
georgiatech

PostSubject: Island Players to watch-Christmas Break   Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

After watching Jason McKee and Drake Downer square off this weekend I have to say that Drake is the most polished grade 12 player I have seen on the island (I have not had a chance to see Desmond or Dom from Claremont). Jason is definitely a hard worker and leaves it all on the court..but Drake showed range and the ability to score when it mattered. He also covered Jason down the stretch and held him off the score sheet.

I am also incredibly impressed with Elliot Rowe and his Mount Doug squad. He scored at will against a solid Dover defense. In a year where offense will be at a premium..he along with the other grade 11's (and Demeco) could really be a force as they seem to have offensive options that other programs just don't. Time will tell if they can play the defense necessary to beat the Dover's/OB's/Claremont's when it matters.

Sad to see Chris Lequesne with the splint on his finger for Belmont. He deserves a solid senior year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BC Basketball

PostSubject: Best Island Players and their teams   Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 pm

After watching many games of basketball on and off the Island , my thoughts are this.

The teams to watch leading into cities and Islands are:

Claremont
Oak Bay
Dover Bay
Mt.Doug
Cowichan
Belmont

As far as players go, I have followed these players for a few years now and after watching almost every game to the end of 2010 there are clearly some stand outs.

The best player on the Island this year is Drake Downer from Oak Bay. A stand out in the cities and Islands last year, Drake proved how good he is. His perimeter shooting is outstanding and his ability to defensively shut down great players is fun to watch. As a grade 11 playing with an often injured Pribilsky last year, he overcame a major knee injury to lead Oak Bay down the stretch and win Islands, and was very deserving being selected as a first Island all star with the likes of Jordan Everdahl, Ted Neilson and James Blandford. I agree with georgiatech, Drake clearly outplayed Jason Mckee and scored when it counted most. Drakes 34 points against a very good Lambrick team and 24 against Dover Bay make him the player to watch in 2011.

Elliot Rowe from Mt. Doug is another outstanding player who can shoot the lights out. Watch for him to have a great year. Elliot has a good supporting cast and might surprise a few teams this year.

Chris Lequesne from Belmont is a very nice player to watch. He has excellent shooting ability from outside the arc and drives hard to the hoop to sneak in big points. His suporting cast is weaker though and will need a team effort to beat the better teams.

Dominic Ohl and Brent Ambrust lead Claremont into what should be a strong season. Claremont has many players who can score and defensively they are sound. Could be an Island Championship in the cards if they play to their potential.

Jason Mckee from Dover Bay is very talented under the hoop and his ability to drive the ball hard to the basket along with his uncanny rebounding make him another great player to watch in 2011. Mark Simpson's team has a good supporting cast and will be sniffing around every final.

Mitch Knippleberg from Cowichan is a wonderful shooter and overall nice player to watch, but will need help from his supporting cast to beat the powerhouses in 2011.

I look foward to many more exciting games in 2011.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xando

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Just lokking back. Pretty good assessment.

New year, new team, same result...Oak Bay and Dover at the BC's.

VIBALL wrote:
As the Season approaches and teams start practicing there has been a lot of emphasis on Lower Mainland but what about the Island for 2010 at the AAA Level. What are your thoughts on this? What will the rankings be like?

I would see it as:

Dover: Had a young squad last year that in there junior year lost to claremont in the Island final, they did not have Center Jason Mckee and had a new guard last year that was not there in there grade 10 year. Always a well coached team and a favorite to be in the island final.

Claremont: Very strong group of kids who won the island junior title without there point guard who was playing senior. They will be the favorite to win the south as they return a large part of there team.

Belmont: Kevin Browns group that he has had for the last few years will be a quick group that plays various kinds of zones and will look to stun teams with there defence.

Oak Bay: Now in a post Pribilsky Era oak bay's coach will have to see what he can do without a superstar scorer, more of the team will be involved, but they graduated a large part of there team last year.

Mount Doug: Mount doug is a very young squad that had some success at the Junior level, they will give a run for the city championship.

Cowichan: Mitch K will be there go to guy and they will look to go to him as much as they can, Cowichan may be in one of its weaker years but they should be able to qualify for islands and make a run.

What are your thoughts on the island? Best players on the island? and favorites to win island championships
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAA ISLAND 2010   Today at 12:46 am

Back to top Go down

AAA ISLAND 2010
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1