HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Confirmed teams:


Eastern Commerce
Pickering
Oakville Loyola
J. Clarke Richardson
Henry Carr
Vaughan
Denison
Mother Teresa
Downsview
Jarvis
D’Youville
Edward Mont-Petit (Montreal)
Sacred Heart Huskies (Ottawa)
Emery
West Humber
West Hill

Draw to follow shortly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:46 am

The draw has just been released for the EC Holiday Classic:

Eastern Commerce
Jarvis 6:30pm
Emery

Loyola
Downsview 6:30pm
Pope John Paul

J. Clarke
Downsview 8:00pm
Edward Mont-Petit (Montreal)

Denison
Jarvis 3:30pm
Jarvis


Mother Teresa
Downsview 5:00pm
D'Youville

Vaughan
Jarvis 5:00pm
West Humber

Pickering
Downsview 3:30pm
Downsview

Henry Carr
Jarvis 8:00pm
Sacred Heart (Ottawa)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc



Posts : 398
Join date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:00 am

Looks like another great tournament for one of the top Ottawa teams to test out the rest of the province. Good luck to Sacred Heart. Carr will be a tough first game no doubt but but this is why you enter these tournaments. Keep us posted on your results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer



Posts : 50
Join date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Looks like it was a great start for Sacred heart as they beat GTA top-10 team Henry Carr, 53-39. They will take on Pickering in the second round tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc



Posts : 398
Join date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Giving up only 39 pts to a perennial GTA powerhouse in Carr is highly commendable. Good job to Coach House and his players. Let's hope they can sustain this throughout the rest of the tournament!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer



Posts : 50
Join date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Another big win for Sacred heart, this time defeating perennial OFSAA contenders Pickering, 61-44. Their next game will be against the winner of Vaughan and D'Youville. If it's Vaughan, they will be in tough against the team that is generally considered to be the best in the province.

It's looking more and more like this Sacred heart has the potential to be Ottawa's best final four threat at the largest school classification (AAAA since 2001; AAA before that) since the St. Pat's teams of about a decade ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc



Posts : 398
Join date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Great work SH. Good luck in the semis!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:26 am

oldtymeballer wrote:
Another big win for Sacred heart, this time defeating perennial OFSAA contenders Pickering, 61-44. Their next game will be against the winner of Vaughan and D'Youville. If it's Vaughan, they will be in tough against the team that is generally considered to be the best in the province.

It's looking more and more like this Sacred heart has the potential to be Ottawa's best final four threat at the largest school classification (AAAA since 2001; AAA before that) since the St. Pat's teams of about a decade ago.

Good morning from Toronto, we're playing undefeated Vaughan at 1:30, they probably are the deepest team I've seen with not a lot of holes and featuring arguably the best HS player in the country 15 year old Andrew Wiggins. He's the real deal, very dangerous and can take a game over himself. He's got a good supporting cast in Roberts, Samuels and Tan. This will be a huge challenge but will help us gauge where we are against the best?

It's still very early in the season but it's nice to see that we (Ottawa) can compete at this level. This isn't rocket science, keeping things simple, kids are playing hard on D, crashing the boards and hitting some shots at the other end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer



Posts : 50
Join date : 2009-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:06 pm

Even though Sacred Heart lost to Vaughan in the semi-finals, it looks like they impressed many of the fans in Toronto. Here is an example of a post on one of the GTA boards:

======
The team to watch out for at offssa is definitely going to be Sacred Heart. They were beating Vaughan by like 10 with two minutes left and Vauhgan got LUCKY with 4 three pointers down the stretch. The threes were pretty much impossible shots to hit too, Sacred Heart should have won the game.

Sacred Heart got some sniper shooters on their team and i dont think they even missed more than 1 or 2 free throws the entire game. Theire small guard Sean is raw and plays fierce and their big brown guy Gill is a technical beast who plays the game with brains.

======

Congrats on the great performance, Coach House.

BTW, a friend of a friend said that the former Pearson star from the late 80s/early 90s, Curtis Houlden was helping you with the team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:26 pm

oldtymeballer wrote:
Even though Sacred Heart lost to Vaughan in the semi-finals, it looks like they impressed many of the fans in Toronto. Here is an example of a post on one of the GTA boards:

======
The team to watch out for at offssa is definitely going to be Sacred Heart. They were beating Vaughan by like 10 with two minutes left and Vauhgan got LUCKY with 4 three pointers down the stretch. The threes were pretty much impossible shots to hit too, Sacred Heart should have won the game.

Sacred Heart got some sniper shooters on their team and i dont think they even missed more than 1 or 2 free throws the entire game. Theire small guard Sean is raw and plays fierce and their big brown guy Gill is a technical beast who plays the game with brains.

======

Congrats on the great performance, Coach House.

BTW, a friend of a friend said that the former Pearson star from the late 80s/early 90s, Curtis Houlden was helping you with the team.

Thanks, just got home, the boys played hard this week-end and people around the tournament are now talking about Ottawa basketball. We earned a lot of respect by beating Carr and Pickering and very disappointed we didn't get it done over Vaughan. We were up 13 going into the 4th quarter but a team like Vaughan is not going to just lay down. They hit some very deep 3's late against us and unfortunately we got a little tired down the stretch. We'll learn from it and be ready next time - nice team but beatable. The Syracuse games and this tournament have been great for us - the competition has been awesome. No rest, now we have a big regular season game against a tough Earl of March squad on Monday.

Curtis is a great help, glad he's on board!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raps and Wildcats



Posts : 108
Join date : 2009-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 am

SH with a very impressive result! Wow! Congrats!

How good did that Andrew Wiggins kid from Vaughn look?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 am

Raps and Wildcats wrote:
SH with a very impressive result! Wow! Congrats!

How good did that Andrew Wiggins kid from Vaughn look?

Andrew has the potential to be a great one, he has a body built for basketball 6'8", unreal wingspan, can play every position and at only 15 has a great feel for the game. He obviously has solid bloodlines with dad Mitchell playing in the NBA and mom, a world-class sprinter with Canada. Personally, I don't think the team uses him as he tends to hang out on the baseline waiting to get involved. If I had him on my team the offense would go through him and he would get a touch everytime down. He does it on both ends, his presence in the paint is huge as he either blocks or makes you alter shots. He definitely is an impact player and I haven't seen many as "special" as he is? Unreal potential but I don't see him back at Vaughan, from all accounts it's Prep School route for him.

I've included a link for one of his many youtube clips and an article in the Toronto Sun that came out the day before the Holiday Classic while we were down there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NS8_sLC_8U

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/12/08/16477156.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jrcitycoach



Posts : 44
Join date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:42 am

Just seeing that quick little video, this kid looks like a FORCE. I find it VERY hard to believe that his team doesn't run the offence through HIM. He would only attract a lot of attention, getting great looks for his teamates. I don't think he'd have a problem creating a shot for himself either. On the defensive end it seems like he plays big, and is long too which is an added bonus. How did you defend against him? I believe back in your days at Nepean, you used a box and 1 kind of defense. Was that the case here when he was on the floor?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse



Posts : 127
Join date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:19 pm

jrcitycoach wrote:
Just seeing that quick little video, this kid looks like a FORCE. I find it VERY hard to believe that his team doesn't run the offence through HIM. He would only attract a lot of attention, getting great looks for his teamates. I don't think he'd have a problem creating a shot for himself either. On the defensive end it seems like he plays big, and is long too which is an added bonus. How did you defend against him? I believe back in your days at Nepean, you used a box and 1 kind of defense. Was that the case here when he was on the floor?


Although he's a great player, he does have a supporting cast. We felt there were other weapons so we couldn't box and one. We played a very effective 1-2-2 match-up zone all week-end which caused some frustration for all 3 teams. We haven't even introduced the combination defenses (I will) that I used play with the Nepean - played multiple combination defenses: box and 1, triangle and 2, tandem and 3...all good but need to be taught and practiced...I think we'll need them if we go down there again and expect to compete, starts with D!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12   Today at 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Eastern Commerce Holiday Classic - December 10-12
» December 18 Birthday Greetings!
» Jaguar Classic
» St. Joseph Jaguar Classic Pools and Draw set
» Cougar Classic (Ottawa) a few spots left

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: Ontario :: Tournaments-
Jump to: