HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Half time- Petty 40 - GM 37
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:45 am

EastSide wrote:
Their's a difference between honesty and just being a jerk. Perhaps you should draw yourself a clear line. They are high school girls, not WNBA players. And I don't actually talk to your team, I just find out through different means of communication. From a person with some knowledge of the game, It's just common sense what I am preaching to you.

Danger Will Robinson danger.

Just "high school girls" basketball in the province has helped to produce 2 jr women's national team players and 2 NEDA level players along with dozens of high level CIS players and prospects in just the last 4 years. Mabye they are not as athletic as the fellas I'm sure they talk about their feelings about the game after losses rather then cutie's at the score clock or who made the cooler layup in warmup. But the young women in this province are just as tough and need to be prepared to succeed as much as anyone.

Their opposition and future provincial coaches/college coaches are not going coddle them, so in preparing them for that the expectation needs to be pretty high and the statement about where they are at individually and collectively needs to be honest and clear. If they don't like the answer, they need to do something to fix it.

From a purely emotional and physical development stand point on average girls are matured and ready for high level pressure and training much earlier than boys, so maybe our high school boys coaches should relax and we should tougher on our yougn women Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:58 am

As a clarification, nowhere did I say I didn't have faith in my players. If you read back, you will see I said "At this Point" Grand Manan is much better. Same thing I said to my players. They aren't stupid, they do read this forum, and would certainly have thought I had lost my mind if I had tried to spin that game as a positive, in any way shape or form.

Now, let's move on from this conversation......it's getting old.

On a different note, Petty gave GM all they could handle for most of three quarters, last night. They just don't quite have the bench that GM has, yet. But, it is only early December.
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:20 am

How is telling your team that your not as good as your opposition being tough JDR. Imagine being in HS and your coach saying you guys will not beat a top team. That's killer, I mean sure it might be true, but as a coach, their is absolutely no reason to be making comments like that.

Conversation ended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:36 am

Telling your kids they are not as good as the opposition (and maybe this is a phrasing issue) is what you do to let kids know where they are at. Group X is the top level of competition, we are not there yet. If you want to be top you have to do these things in the short term to try to compete and develop these things in the long term to be able to be at that level.

If your only concern is having kids on a team and trying to make them feel like they are having a team experience all the time fair enough. If you are concerned with them understanding where they are at in larger scheme of basketball, and them being able to recognize their own abilities and defciencies then you need to tell it like it is and give them opportunities to overcome and improve or at least prove you wrong.

Watch every inspirational gatorade commercial in the last 20 years, the common messages are about staying hungry, overcoming adversity and working to prove yourself. Coaches can be positive, and encouraging while being demanding and realistic. Being honest and tough doesn't mean you are a jerk. Teaching and then epxecting players to be: mentally tough, emotionaly honest, and how to try to overcome adversoty is much more important then telling them "you can do it". If coaches train kids to believe they can be better through trial and error and sustained effort. That will get them miles further in basketball and life, then telling them they can win this and then drawing up tactics and hoping for the best, then trying to sugar coat it when it doesn't work out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:40 am

EastSide wrote:
How is telling your team that your not as good as your opposition being tough JDR. Imagine being in HS and your coach saying you guys will not beat a top team. That's killer, I mean sure it might be true, but as a coach, their is absolutely no reason to be making comments like that.

Conversation ended.

This is a phrasing issue. Not an attitude issue.

"You guys will not beat a top team" is not the same as:

"You will not be able to beat a top team until you . . ."

"They are one of the best teams in this province, if we want to be at their level we need to . . "

" Whenever we decide we want to . . . . we will be at a point where we can compete with them"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:17 am

[
Coachmac says :
On a different note, Petty gave GM all they could handle for most of three quarters, last night. They just don't quite have the bench that GM has, yet. But, it is only early December. [/quote]

Peti played a great game last night. Grand Manan really struggled early, down 12 late in the 1st quarter. Not sure why Peti isn't doing better than their results have shown, their role players are solid.
As far as Peti not having the bench GM does, yet, Veysey only went 8 deep, Peti went at least 7 deep and one of his regulars was injured, so I don't see Peti's bench changing much between now and February. I think Peti is closer to the pack than everyone thinks, they could surprise a few in their regional.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:20 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Telling your kids they are not as good as the opposition (and maybe this is a phrasing issue) is what you do to let kids know where they are at. Group X is the top level of competition, we are not there yet. If you want to be top you have to do these things in the short term to try to compete and develop these things in the long term to be able to be at that level.

If your only concern is having kids on a team and trying to make them feel like they are having a team experience all the time fair enough. If you are concerned with them understanding where they are at in larger scheme of basketball, and them being able to recognize their own abilities and defciencies then you need to tell it like it is and give them opportunities to overcome and improve or at least prove you wrong.

Watch every inspirational gatorade commercial in the last 20 years, the common messages are about staying hungry, overcoming adversity and working to prove yourself. Coaches can be positive, and encouraging while being demanding and realistic. Being honest and tough doesn't mean you are a jerk. Teaching and then epxecting players to be: mentally tough, emotionaly honest, and how to try to overcome adversoty is much more important then telling them "you can do it". If coaches train kids to believe they can be better through trial and error and sustained effort. That will get them miles further in basketball and life, then telling them they can win this and then drawing up tactics and hoping for the best, then trying to sugar coat it when it doesn't work out.

You are misinterpreting what I am saying. If you go into a game knowing that your coach thinks your going to lose you obviously are going to lose. I think you are going on a tangent about what I am trying to get across. I am not saying it's bad to be honest. If your team losses and they play bad, you tell them what they did wrong and fix it. But if you know the team is much better, the team most likely knows that and they don't need to get embarrassed by their coach on a public forum. Sure, tell your team they played great but change what you are doing to help them get there.

Last edited by EastSide on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 am

Posted removed to protect the innocent......lol.

Last edited by Coachmac on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Coachmac wrote:
Listen, Dustin, I appreciate the fact you now have that year of university under your belt and know everything. Give me a call when you have the rest of that psych degree and maybe I can make them billable hours for you.

A) If I was Dustin I would know what you are talking about.
B) I'm not from Salisbury I just know people from the area who have played and do play on the team.

Last edited by EastSide on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:32 pm

I stand by my claim of who you are. I know it for a fact. If you want to edit YOUR name out of your previous post, I will do so, also.

Last edited by Coachmac on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Gentlemen - If I could be the voice of reason for a second.
Given that players and coaches from all over the province are reading this forum, might I suggest that this dialogue is not showing anyone at their best? I know we are all here for the good of the game.
Back to top Go down
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:05 pm

You don't know who I am for a fact, because I am indeed not who you claim me to be. If you wouldn't have began to take shots here at me invalidating just a suggesting, I wouldn't have been so notorious with my posting. But what come around goes around. You started getting personal, and you don't even know who I am. It doesn't even matter who I really am, what matters is how you approached it. If you would have just acknowledged what I said instead of saying I was invalid you could have avoided this situation. And no, I am not Dustin

I'm done arguing say what you want, good luck this season.

Last edited by EastSide on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deacon

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:16 pm

I've known Coach Mac for a few years now, coached against him and reffed some games that he coached in. I can vouch for his integrity and class as a basketball coach. I have also witnessed his interaction with his team, away from the court, and believe me, these girls have total trust and belief in him. If he told them point blank, that they sucked, they would be ready to work their butts off to gain his admiration. Not that he would express it so bluntly. As for his boys team being happy he is gone, if it is in fact true, I would say it was the boys with the problem. Boys tend not to like being told they don't know jack**** about much in HS. Your original comment may have been made in sincere belief in what you said, however you shouldn't think you know what a person's reason for certain comments are.
Give players some credit, they know when they are not as good as another team, they don't have to be told. That shouldn't stop them from trying to beat them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:29 pm

CoachMac, I deleted a bunch of my comments..You seen what I read and imo no one else has to. If you want to delete the above quote that then most will be minimized.

I took out the cheap shots , my apologies, I was in a typing frenzy. GL on the rest of the season.

Last edited by EastSide on Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernHoops2201

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm

I find this humorous lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:37 am

this drama will be seen on mtv next week[gossipgirls]. lucky we get it now for free
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:53 am

EastSide wrote:
CoachMac, I deleted a bunch of my comments..You seen what I read and imo no one else has to. If you want to delete the above quote that then most will be minimized.

I took out the cheap shots , my apologies, I was in a typing frenzy. GL on the rest of the season.

No worries. Gave everyone some cheap entertainment.....lol. My apologies also for not respecting your right to have an opinion. I may not agree with it, but I respect your right to express it.

*Okay, enough of this hug-fest. We will now resume our regularly schedule programming.*
Back to top Go down
student

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:57 pm

too bad. i was just waitn for the hair pullin to start
Back to top Go down
View user profile
collegecoach

PostSubject: I have a feeling GM is gonna end up winning in the end. Tobique is very talented and good shooting on the outside but when games get close GM's defence will beat out any offence   Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a feeling GM is gonna end up winning in the end. Tobique is very talented and good shooting on the outside but when games get close GM's defence will beat out any offence
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Not sure what Tobique team you have been watching but the one I have seen dominates inside and with the fast break not with outside shooting !! GM is a very good team and Veysey will have them ready but as of right now TV's record speaks for itself . I just looked it up on the basketball site . 18 wins 0 loses 1500 points scored .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 pm

collegecoach wrote:
I have a feeling GM is gonna end up winning in the end. Tobique is very talented and good shooting on the outside but when games get close GM's defence will beat out any offence

I'm not sure who will win but GM is one of the best teams in the province right after TV. you will not want to miss this game in the Harbour Station.. Some great players on Grand Manan's part with Jesseca Brown, Kim Wilson, and Whitney Clinch is hard to score on she works very hard,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: This weeks rankings   Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Just posted the rankings for AA Girls for the week ending Dec. 12 Rankings
Back to top Go down
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:43 am

Tobique will beat GM, by a bunch at Harbour Station. That is assuming GM makes it there. There is only one girl you mentioned from GM (Brown) that would even start for Tobique. Tobique is big, athletic, and well coached from what I have watched. They run you into the ground, then beat you up under the basket.

I hope someone does give them a game though, would make for good entertainment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:14 am

baller24 wrote:
Tobique will beat GM, by a bunch at Harbour Station. That is assuming GM makes it there. There is only one girl you mentioned from GM (Brown) that would even start for Tobique. Tobique is big, athletic, and well coached from what I have watched. They run you into the ground, then beat you up under the basket.

I hope someone does give them a game though, would make for good entertainment.

Kim Wilson was MVP of their home tournmanent and Jess Brown was all-star.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Today at 1:02 am

Back to top Go down

ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next