HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
celtic

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:23 am

Vikings05-10 wrote:
baller24 wrote:
Tobique will beat GM, by a bunch at Harbour Station. That is assuming GM makes it there. There is only one girl you mentioned from GM (Brown) that would even start for Tobique. Tobique is big, athletic, and well coached from what I have watched. They run you into the ground, then beat you up under the basket.

I hope someone does give them a game though, would make for good entertainment.

Kim Wilson was MVP of their home tournmanent and Jess Brown was all-star.

IF TV WOULD HAVE BEEN AT THAT TOURNEY, ALL THESE COMMENTS WOULD MOST LIKELY NOT BE POSTED. THE 2 TEAMS CAN'T BE COMPARED IN THE SAME CATEGORY AT THIS POINT. TV IS JUST A POWERHOUSE TEAM...NO OTHER WAY OF SAYING IT. THEY EAT YOU UP AND SPIT YOU OUT. IF THEY WERE AAA, THEY WOULD EASILY BE A TOP 4. VEYSEY WILL HAVE HIS GIRLS READY FOR THE PLAYOFFS AND WILL LIKELY MEET TV AT HARBOUR AND ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN 1 GAME BUT AT THIS POINT, TV IS THE BEST TEAM IN THE PROVINCE BY A LONG SHOT AND TO PUT IT BLUNTLY. ANYONE WHO SAYS DIFFERENT DOESN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT AA GIRLS BASKETBALL!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 am

celtic, I agree with you. The entire province is trying to figure out how to beat Tobique. With the right game plan they might be able to keep it close, that is assuming TV has a very bad game and whoever they play has their best game. TV just seems to have too many weapons to shut them all down. But I am sure Veysey will have something for them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 am

I'm not sure I would agree with the statement about them being top 4 in AAA but until I see them play someone close to that level I'll accept the possibility I'm wrong.

Vs. AA Competition

- No one has as many offensive options.
-No one has as many athletes.
- No one can transition as effectively.
- No one has the size, athletes or ability to keep them from controlling the glass at both ends.

I'm not sure any coach or any amount of tactics alone can over come this. The reason they play the games is because anything can happen but to put anyone at that level would as big a disservice as say . . . er never mind last time we talked about telling kids what level they were at a huge fight broke out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:19 pm

...NO OTHER WAY OF SAYING IT. THEY EAT YOU UP AND SPIT YOU OUT. IF THEY WERE AAA, THEY WOULD EASILY BE A TOP 4.

hmmmmm....top 4 AAA girls...Riverview , Woodstock , bernice MacNaughton , FHS , harrison Trimble , KV , LHHS...I have seen all those teams play and I have seen TV play..... though TV is very good , and a lock to repeat as AA champs....not sure they are in the same snack bracket as these AAA schools....differences in style of play (zone vs man , or run and gun teams) , depth of athletes, fundamentals skills of all players, tactics......they are not at the level of these AAA teams...they will certainly beat9and already have , handily ) a lot of AAA teams , not sure they are top 4....but nobody would like to see them prove me wrong more than I would....go get em girls !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
...NO OTHER WAY OF SAYING IT. THEY EAT YOU UP AND SPIT YOU OUT. IF THEY WERE AAA, THEY WOULD EASILY BE A TOP 4.

hmmmmm....top 4 AAA girls...Riverview , Woodstock , bernice MacNaughton , FHS , harrison Trimble , KV , LHHS...I have seen all those teams play and I have seen TV play..... though TV is very good , and a lock to repeat as AA champs....not sure they are in the same snack bracket as these AAA schools....differences in style of play (zone vs man , or run and gun teams) , depth of athletes, fundamentals skills of all players, tactics......they are not at the level of these AAA teams...they will certainly beat9and already have , handily ) a lot of AAA teams , not sure they are top 4....but nobody would like to see them prove me wrong more than I would....go get em girls !!!

I guess we will find out in 2 or 3 weeks when they play at the Potato Barrell. I don't follow AAA very much but i know that WHS and FHS are there and they both play at a pretty high level behind Riverview of course who are in a league of their own. Don't be surprised if the little school from Plaster Roack gives these teams a run for their $$ but i may be totally wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsdawg

PostSubject: AA rankings   Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:44 pm

I believe from 4 to 10 anybody could beat anybody...Top3 r there for a reason but 2 or 3 can be knocked off in someone elses gym at regional time...TV will host a regional and win it...The other regional will be wide open...RNS or Grand Manan will be at TV...the other moving across to play in either Petty or Stanley in my opinion...No gimmies there

BTW Coach Mac...Dal beat John Caldwell this year in their only match up and Stanley beat DAl in a single digit victory with it bein tied with 4 to go...SV only beat Caldwell by 2 earlier in year as well...Who has Caledonia beat or played to receive lofty ranking...Think the Petty team would be 4 but it really doesnt matter until Feb ...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:55 pm

I have heard Tobique will not be able to host the regional due to World Pond Hockey using their gymnasium for a dance. Not sure what would happen in this case if this is in fact accurate. Where would the games be played? I am sure something like this has happened in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:09 pm

hoopsdawg wrote:
I believe from 4 to 10 anybody could beat anybody...Top3 r there for a reason but 2 or 3 can be knocked off in someone elses gym at regional time...TV will host a regional and win it...The other regional will be wide open...RNS or Grand Manan will be at TV...the other moving across to play in either Petty or Stanley in my opinion...No gimmies there

BTW Coach Mac...Dal beat John Caldwell this year in their only match up and Stanley beat DAl in a single digit victory with it bein tied with 4 to go...SV only beat Caldwell by 2 earlier in year as well...Who has Caledonia beat or played to receive lofty ranking...Think the Petty team would be 4 but it really doesnt matter until Feb ...lol

8-10 are all interchangeable. I personally think Caledonia is better than Petty, but their record doesn't show it. Hopefully, things will be clearer by the end of this week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
EastSide

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Has Cal and Petty played yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:19 pm

EastSide wrote:
Has Cal and Petty played yet?

Not yet. We play them both, this week. Cal on Thursday and Petty Friday. Both away games, for us.
Back to top Go down
39forever

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

baller24 wrote:
I have heard Tobique will not be able to host the regional due to World Pond Hockey using their gymnasium for a dance. Not sure what would happen in this case if this is in fact accurate. Where would the games be played? I am sure something like this has happened in the past.

I heard this today as well, that would be too bad for TV, you play all year for the right to host that tourny.
I am not sure what will happen, but something needs to. We tried to make reservations for that tourny up there and every place is full, and the hotel places mentioned that it would be almost impossible to find a restaurant to eat at that weekend as well. Perhaps they can move the Regional over to Southern Vic or CN, provided none of these schools would be already hosting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Coachmac wrote:
hoopsdawg wrote:

8-10 are all interchangeable. I personally think Caledonia is better than Petty, but their record doesn't show it. Hopefully, things will be clearer by the end of this week.

I am interested to see these teams play. I actually think Peti is a bit underated and could possible sneak out of that zone as the 1 seed, we shall see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luvthegame

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:10 pm

I have seen TV play this year as well as many other AA girls teams. I too believe they are currently a step ahead of all the other AA teams however they are only a turned ankle or two from being just a mediocre team. The vast majority of their offense goes through the Goodine girl and Oullette is just a big girl with a good short range shot that is quite defendable. After those two girls they are not any better than 4 or 5 other AA teams. The next 2-3 weeks will be interesting as many of these next few teams are set to meet either in regular season or tournament play. It is unfortunate however that TV are the clear cut favorite as the next 4 or 5 teams are very closely matched and will make an interesting February.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 am

From what I have watched TV is 3 turned ankles away from being a mediocre AA team. The Goodine girl has a bad ankle now, which must be what everyone keeps talking about. From what I have heard she was tourney MVP at their last 2 tournaments with this banged up ankle. Everyone keeps forgetting about the supporting cast. Cooper and Ouellette are top end players as well. They now have a bench that can all play. Good luck trying to compete with Tobique, or maybe everyone can hope they roll some ankles sometime in February.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 am

baller24 wrote:
From what I have watched TV is 3 turned ankles away from being a mediocre AA team. The Goodine girl has a bad ankle now, which must be what everyone keeps talking about. From what I have heard she was tourney MVP at their last 2 tournaments with this banged up ankle. Everyone keeps forgetting about the supporting cast. Cooper and Ouellette are top end players as well. They now have a bench that can all play. Good luck trying to compete with Tobique, or maybe everyone can hope they roll some ankles sometime in February.

I totally agree with you baller24. I could not have said it better myself. Either alot of these posts have not seen TV play or they are all in their own little dream world. Goodine is the toughest player in the province and i have seen her play many times with a turned ankle, cracked wrist, etc.

What will be interesting is to see the 3rd and 4th place game in the west come regionals as nobody will want to come back to TV the next weekend. 1&3 stay and 2&4 go to the other side
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 am

maybe the toughest in aa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:11 am

True, im sure some teams will be jockeying to stay away from Tobique. The Goodine girl is tough as nails. She was probably NB's best player at nationals last summer with a banged up knee and ankle. Should be interesting come February.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am

Ok lets take a deep breath and back slowly away from the Magic Kool-Aid . . .

I am a huge Hilary fan. If you ask me she has as much upside as anyone in the province and any ACAA or CIS school that picks her up could be making a huge pick up down the line.

That being said at best . . . at best you could argue she might be top 5 in the province in girls basketball and that is going to require you to overlook some kids and assume we are only talking about seniors in this years graduating class.

Best at nationals . . .?? . . she only got to start on that team because the best post in the province decided not to play and focus on playing for Canada at the Junior olympics . . .

Your feeling is that she is ahead of the Pickard girl a 2 time national team member, Gillis who is playing and scoring vs AA/AAA boys teams, Kilpatrick (mentioned above), Donohue in Rivervew . . . and that is just the senior class girls players in this province . . . if you go under age the Wades, Daleys, Applebys, etc, etc, etc, etc come into play too.

I restate that Hilary is clearly a top 5 recruit in this province this year, and may have as much if not more upside in the long run because she may be the most athletic of the bunch and is still developing her skills. But with the girls I've mentioned playing in this province, dropping terms like "toughest" or "best" out of context seems a little silly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:48 am

Hilary is not a post player, She only played post at nationals, because NB did not have anyone athletic enough to play the big girls from other provinces. She was undersized but still did an effective job. Nowhere did I say she was tops in the province, but she is right there with anyone. I have not really saw the Pickard girl play much so I can not really comment on that. The other girls you mention are great players as well. But Gillis, come on, great shooter!!!, but nowhere near the athlete as Goodine. It was very evident in last years final.

I do agree with you that Goodine would be the most athletic in the bunch, maybe not as refined as the others. I am sure that she is getting lots of interest from ACAA and CIS schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Everyone should just relax . I am not from the tobique but have watched them play and know there coach . Just remember TV has not really been banging with the big dawgs ...yet . We should not be trying to compare players when they do not play against each other . I have also seen Picard and Kilpatric play and without a doubt they are very talented . Rather than trying to compare them we should be just stating that this years crop of girl talent coming out of N.B is very very good . As far as nationals go the team did well . Goodine did play alot but was playing out of position . It is to bad that Kilpatric and Gillis did not play or I beleive they could of medaled. So before we have any banner hanging cerimonies or proclaim NB's best lets just watch some good ball from some very talented girls in both AA and AAA .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SouthConf

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:45 pm

GM over Harvey by 39. in harvey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Caledonia Ladies Invitational   Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:32 pm

Results are posted here
Back to top Go down
Coachmac

PostSubject: AA Girls Unofficial Rankings - Week Ending Dec. 19   Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:31 pm

This weeks rankings are posted here
Back to top Go down
freethrow

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:08 pm

TV is number one without question. I have only heard people speaking of Goodine, Ouelette and Cooper, although they must have a deep bench if they can sit their starters and continue to score. I scouted them last year when they played in a tournament in Fredericton and I was extremely impressed with their desire to win each game. They seem to have a group of girls that get along great both on and off the court.

Also, AA Fan I agree with you regarding the Kilpatric and Gillis, two extremely skilled players. NB would have had a better outcome if these two girls had played.

I heard that Stanley was missing two of their starters this weekend, which may have something to do with their terrible weekend at the Caledonia Invitational?

Brittany something (Harvey’s post player) had been injured early in the season, is she back on the court?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
20yearcoach

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 am

the south will be interesting - RNS does not play at all during the break and could be rusty when they get back to a very busy schedule - including Harvey as soon as they get back - that game could determine 2nd place in the south. GM is looking strong but with Harvey returnig their post player and RNS's point guard coming back (at some point) things could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?   Today at 10:57 am

Back to top Go down

ANY NEW AA GIRLS PREDICTIONS?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4