HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls AAA/AAAA final

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Does anyone know why the Glebe-Louis Riel final was postponed? Has it been replayed yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:31 pm

It was because Louis-Riel got disqualified for having players from Quebec on the team. Notably one of the players played on the Quebec provincial team and louis-riel. They appealed this decision and from what I am told there will be no city finals, Glebe gets a AAAA birth while it is unknown if Louis-Riel is receiving a birth. This may change but at this time I believe this is what is happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Can't say I'm shocked about this. There had been questions in the past about how wide an area the school was drawing from.

Juts another nail in the eventual coffin of sports magnet schools and OFSAA participation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Saw this on the Citizen high school blog:

Louis Riel meets Glebe in senior girls' AAA/AAAA basketball final on Tuesday
By MARTINCLEARY FRI, NOV 19 2010

The National Capital Secondary School Athletic Association senior girls’ AAA/AAAA basketball championship game has a new date and location.

The gold-medal game between defending champion Louis Riel Rebelles and Glebe Gryphons will be staged Tuesday at Lisgar Collegiate Institute at 4 p.m.

The final was originally scheduled for Tuesday, but was postponed at the last minute because a complaint was filed about the eligibility of one of the Louis Riel players. The NCSSAA investigation apparently surrounded the residency of as many as three players on the Rebelles team.

One Riel player and her family are expected to meet with NCSSAA officials on Monday to see if she is eligible to play in the final.

The NCSSAA has made no comment on its investigation.

As it stands today, both schools are expected to travel to the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations girls’ basketball championships Nov. 25-27. Riel should return to the AAA championship in Stratford, while Glebe will go to Hamilton for the AAAA tournament.

If the girl in question is deemed to be ineligible, I would be curious to see how the NCSSAA justifies Louis Riel's participation in OFSAA. Section 4 iii b of the NCSAA constitution says:

A team contest in which an ineligible student, coach or staff
advisor participates, shall be forfeited by the offending school. In a case involving
points on the round, the whole seriesindividual only shall be disqualified.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:06 pm

According to Cleary's article today, the player from Louis Riel was deemed eligible to play and will also compete with her team at ofsaa over the next three days. Hopefully, this will help clear the school, the association, and, more importantly the player of any harm to their reputation that may have been caused through this process. I think that the Louis Riel coach also deserves some credit for the way he conducted himself in the Citizen interview as he could have come across very bitter but instead wanted to simply put the ordeal behind and look forward to competing at ofsaa. Here is the link to the article:
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/sidelines/archive/2010/11/25/player-investigation-over-defending-champion-louis-riel-rebelles-set-to-chase-another-medal-at-ofsaa-girls-basketball.aspx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I would be curious to find out what could possibly be in dispute over residency. Is this a case of players from Quebec who are living with relatives or friends in Ontario and that was disputed by the other coach? If so, that's a pretty simply issue to solve (i.e. check status of legal guardianship) and I can't see how that would have necessitated postponing the game almost a week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
redemption

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Not going to say names but the dispute was over a player whos father is well known in basketball Canada. Anyways she was on the Quebec provincial this past summer. Thus why it was brought up. However there was more than one girl from Quebec but she was the main focus. Not to mention the fact that LR is essentially recruiting players and this issue also needs to be addressed and in senior boys the fluctuating of divisions depending on which they feel they have a better chance of winning. Also the fact that they are a sports school competing in the regular high school league. They should have a separate league like Toronto or only play in tournaments. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:48 pm

redemption wrote:
Not going to say names but the dispute was over a player whos father is well known in basketball Canada. Anyways she was on the Quebec provincial this past summer. Thus why it was brought up. However there was more than one girl from Quebec but she was the main focus. Not to mention the fact that LR is essentially recruiting players and this issue also needs to be addressed and in senior boys the fluctuating of divisions depending on which they feel they have a better chance of winning. Also the fact that they are a sports school competing in the regular high school league. They should have a separate league like Toronto or only play in tournaments. Just my opinion.

Toronto does not have a separate league for sports schools. The same complaints people make about Lousi Riel in Ottawa are made about schools like Bill Crothers in Markham and Birchmount Park in Scarborough, among others.

What are the rules in regards to out of province players? I assume it's fine as long as their residency during the school year is in Ontario, like out of province students students living in residence at private schools, or is residency in the province even required?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hmm

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 am

oldtymeballer wrote:

What are the rules in regards to out of province players? I assume it's fine as long as their residency during the school year is in Ontario, like out of province students students living in residence at private schools, or is residency in the province even required?

I believe that residency is NOT required as far as students live in the school residence or stay in the province during the school year.
Ashbury Collage team has some "out of province" players and nobody complains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldtymeballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:26 am

hmm wrote:
I believe that residency is NOT required as far as students live in the school residence or stay in the province during the school year.
Ashbury Collage team has some "out of province" players and nobody complains.

Which is the way it should be; they live in province during the school year. I think the question that was being asked at the hearing, and among some posters, is whether or not the Louis Riel players in question live in an Ontario residence during the school year.

(However, it should be pointed out that the issue of private school recruiting has been raised at the OFSAA AGM from time to time and motions have been put forward to limit their participation. So far they have all been defeated.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls AAA/AAAA final   Today at 7:31 am

Back to top Go down

Girls AAA/AAAA final
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1