HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls tru pre-season rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Southfan

PostSubject: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:12 pm

This is a beef of mine, pre-season should be just that, not after 3 weeks of play.
So lets do our own real pre-season rankings, I will start:
1. Western
2. O leary
3. Raymond
4. Scona
5. Centennial
6. Ainlay
7. Catholic Central
8. Jasper Place
9. Spruce Grove
10.Winston Churchill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:43 pm

I agree that Western will be the top at this point - outstanding junior team plus added Amy Wilson as a grade 10 (first time allowed I think to have a grade 10)
Oleary returns everyone except for 1 girl (all main contributors are back) and they always attract a top talent in grade 10 so I will have to unfortunately witness who that may be first hand:)
Centennial I think should be higher - they lost their PG but had a grade 10 that played big minutes so may start.. lefty (Montana)
Scona might be a little high.. tough to replace Sommerville but I think they will be one of the largest teams..
SG - will be top 5 for sure - they return Renee Byrne who has signed with U of A, added a couple of transfers that will either start or be first off the bench and even if they have a slow start due to volleyball, they will catch up with the rest shortly..
Ainley, I think, will be lower part of top 10 - less size (obviously), awesome guards but one of their bigs just did her knee in so that hurts them. Again, outstanding coaching as Marsh is back..
JP will be tough as well.. they had two teams during spring league and they were both tough.. add those together to form one team..

I don't get to see a lot of south teams unless its by accident, however will get that opportunity this year as we are in the REB and Spruce Grove tournament - so as time goes, we will see how accurate or competitive Raymond / Cardston are (not that they aren't... but where they fit..)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Southfans predictions look as good as any. Funny thing though, the organizers of the Calgary Classic ranked Centennial #1 and Western Canada #2 and EP Scarlett ahead of Churchill. I'm sure there will be others offering a different view.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Western has a very good team this year, with some exceptional grade 11's. If their point guard recovers from a serious leg injury they could be the top team in the province. Centennial will be big and deep and will be Western's only threat in Calgary. Scarlett and Churchill will field decent teams, but I believe that Churchill's starting 5 will be a little stronger than Scarlett's. Bishop Grandin will be able to compete with Scarlett and Churchill. These rankings for the Calgary Classic mean very little as they are based on last years results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dirty Dirty

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:17 am

I agree these rankings are based on last year. I predict Churchill will quickly prove to be one of the top teams in the province and we will see this in the higher hoops tournament where I predict they will face and surprise Western in the finals. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:11 pm

I agree with everyone on this one as well, however Scona will be down for a while because not only did we lost our best defender who would have been our leading scorer in Caitlyn Summerville. We will be without our only provincail player in Jessica Stroud, and four other girls that came up from our undeated Junior team. They are all at Volleyball and i wish them good luck.....

Also spruce grove has two transfers; one was a provincail team player, so that now give them 3-provincail teams players...... I am thinkING they will be the best team in Edmonton.

Ainley, has an awesome Coach but she lost her best post and one of her guard a National soccer train camp.......

JP is returning the leading scorer in the league with meagan wood and has some super fast point guard......so i would not count them out eigher...

Edmonotn Primere league will be the tough conference to win in this year with only having 5-teams

Scona
Ainley
Spruce Grove
Ross Shep
JP

All of these teams were ranked in the top 10 at some point in time last year...Good Luck trying to win in this league.

YOU BETTER BE READY TO PLAY EVERY GAME.................... hahahahahahahaha, However it will still be fun What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://networksbasketball.net
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Calgary Clssic   Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:13 pm

I don't think the Calgary Classic seeding is based completly on last year. If so, the top four seeded teams would be Centennial, Western Canada, St. Mary's and St. Francis since they were the four teams representing Calgary at the Provincials last year. St. Mary's seeded 8th. St. Francis seeded 5th. I'm not saying the seeding is wrong just that the Calgary organizers are using a different method of seeding teams than Southfan. I believe Southfan is close and the Calgary Classic just might have an upset. Dirty Dirty and bballfan have summerized our teams well. St. Francis and St. Mary's always seems to be in the mix and I think Wise Wood just might surprise a few people. Regardless of placement, top four teams out of Calgary will most likely be WC, Cent, SWC and EPS. Agree with bballfan that BG will be very compeditive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:38 pm

SlowPoke, I agree with your logic that the initial rankings are not based entirely on last year's results. I also agree with your rankings of the top 4 teams in Calgary. However I believe that Wisewood will be weak this year because they graduated so many seniors last year and their jr. team was near the bottom of the league. St Francis could be in the mix because they always seem to field a decent team, but I think that St Mary's will also be weak because their jr team finished last and they lost all their offense when Claire Colburne graduated.
Dirty, Dirty, Churchill is probably the 3rd best team in Calgary, but there is no way they can match up against either Western or Centennial. They have NO depth and outside of Jessica Bachynski, little size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SAINTS

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:45 pm

I agree with bballfan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Anyone with thoughts on the south other than me?????
Raymond- returning a lot of grade 11's that started and or played a lot last year.
Catholic Central- recruited some good talent this year.
LCI - retained all players from last year. ( None left to new high school, Chinook)
Cardston - Graduated 7 seniors, return 1 or 2 players, not enough to compete with the big girls this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am

Southfan, I am not really aware of who all is coming back for teams in the south, but from what I saw last season, I agree that Raymond will be a good team this year. They are once again small but skilled, and will probably be a top ten team, but I don't believe that they are good enough this year to beat Calgary's top two teams, nor Spruce Grove.
LCI, from what I saw last year are not strong enough, even with most of the team returning, to challenge the elite teams in the province. Did they not lose their best player Cassidy Taal to graduation?
I agree that Cardston will be in a rebuilding phase this year and will not be that strong.
Also, on another note, I would like to revise my evaluation of Churchill. I was just told that they have "recruited" two players from Springbank. One played on the midget provincial team and the other is a very strong player. Both are guards, so Churchill will still be small but deeper, faster and much more skilled that I thought. Definitely a notch above Scarlett, Grandin and Francis, but still below Western and Centennial, but they are a threat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Catholic Central should be very competitive this year as well. They have Taya Keujer - leading scorer in south last year and Katie Lowen - who was last cut from the U17 Cadette national team this past summer. Both were U17 provincial team members. I might rank them higher.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Who do Catholic Central have after Teya and Katie? Who would you rank them higher than??

And yes the Taal girl did graduate.

How does Spruce Grove recruit girls year after year?
It would not happen in Raymond, Magrath or Cardston (girls leaving for other teams) too much home town school pride!!!!!!
Is there none of that in the cities????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:45 am

Did not Juhee Thompson switch from Raymond to Cardston?

In Edmonton you are allowed to recruit players, so some schools (usually the big schools) are more successful recruiting elite players than others year after year.

In Calgary they have rules in place to prevent schools from recruiting players, but occasionally they find away around the rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 am

OK. This is my shot at top 10 based on info on previous posts:

1. O'Leary
2. Western
3. Centennial
4. Spruce Grove
5. Raymond
6. Winston Churchill
7. Catholic Central
8. Jasper Place
9. Scona
10. Ainley

O'Leary is deep, experienced and there is nobody in the league this year to stop Adut. Western is still very young. Centennial has height and size along with guard play. Spruce Grove has 3 provincial team players with good size. Raymond is always tough. Churchill may surprise folks with the new additions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Yes, Juhee did move to Cardston, had nothing to do with recruiting. Her dad grew up in the Cardston area, the family moved back there after his grandparents passed.
D-IT-UP I think your top ten looks the closest so far, good job! Sounds like higher hoops is going to be interesting!!!!

I think this is alot more interesting than waiting till everybody has played for 2 weeks!
OK , now who will be the five honorable mentions?????

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:28 am

Southfan, LCI is running a girls bball tournament this weekend. Can you send us the scores?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm

these are the highlites: Raymond beat EP Scarlett by about 12 or 15. Cardston, Magrath and LCI also all advanced.
Raymond beat Cardston by 24 in the semi, not sure about Magrath and LCI yet, but Raymond will easily win!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Mike Dea results
All Metro final Oleary vs SACHS( beat Spruce Grove by 12 in the semi)John will again have the top team in the 3A category since Raymond always opts up into 4A. Amazing not a girl over 5'10 and they knock off a 4A school with 3 or 4 provincial team players. Ever think of moving up 4A Jdeeds? Interesting to see how far Shep has fallen since Kim moved on. Oleary looks strong but do they have 3 point shooters to riddle a packed in zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:04 pm

I almost forgot about this forum. Lots of good discussion so far. It will be an interesting season for sure!

The StFX Mike Dea final was an exciting but almost typical SACHS vs O'Leary game. SACHS deadly on the foul line and outside, O'Leary strong on the rebounding and inside. SACHS had the edge about half way through the first, but O'Leary pulled ahead by 2 at the end of the quarter for an 11-13 lead. Q2 and Q3 were tight defensively with scores being 18-26 at the half and 26-40 going into the 4th. SACHS closed the gap in Q4, but not enough to take the lead from O'Leary. Of course I neglected to write down the final score, but it was the Spartans by about 9 at the buzzer. Something like 44-53.

As I said at the top, the foul line shooting for SACHS is a key strength. If anyone kept stats I'd bet their percenatge would be top of the league. If a game against SACHS is a foul line shoot out, don't expect to be successful.
For our O'Leary girls, we've a great starting line and considerable bench depth. Teams who only focus on beating Adut do so at their peril.

Next weekend brings the REB and I'd wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of this final.
For the Metro premier regular season, if you can only see two games, they should be OL @ STA Jan 4 and STA@OL Feb 23.

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Couple comments... our final vs Oleary left a little to be desired as we did in fact shoot well from the foul line when we actually got there however our perimeter shooting was horrendous which must improve if we have any chance to be in any finals. As a team we were 22% from the field so to be close to a veteran Oleary team in the end was somewhat satisfying. The final score was 52-41.
Regarding some other observations from teams watched over the weekend. Scona is huge and athletic - they played (while I watched) a 2-3 zone and looked like the syracuse of NCAA trying to use their length to disrupt shooters etc. Tough to get the ball inside. Ball pressure and transition might be an achilles heel.
JP looked good with a ton of depth and a multitude of scorers. I think their best scorer (#9) is not in basketball shape yet but they have size and athleticism.
Spruce Grove, who we played on friday will be there in the end.. Their posts are big and physical - they missed some easy ones against us and we couldn't miss for the first 5 minutes. Once their guards get settled (PG was setter for VB and just got back from Prov), and they get a very athletic grade 10 back from broken wrist (U15 prov. team), they will be very tough to beat - 4 provincial team players, plus some other good athletes.
ABJ also looked very solid and are playing an aggressive run/jump - if a team can deal with that, then they should be OK. Keep in mind that they are missing their best player Erin Mckinnon who I believe is out until x-mas after knee surgery. Take an MVP candidate out of any line-up and things change!
Ross Shep also played the entire weekend without Selali - their best player who brings scoring and some size. They are loaded with some outstanding young talent who will only get better as the year progresses.
Lastly, and unfortunately for us (SACHS), I think Paul Kane will be under the radar until people start to see them play. They have always had a ton of size and they have that again. I believe that they will be the biggest team in the Edmonton area for sure. They have a 6'2, outstandiing VB player and Kelly Fagan, a 6'0 U17 provincial team member. They also have 2-3 other 6'fters. They got a couple of transfers, one of which is a 5'10 perimeter player which they have lacked in the past. If they are able to handle pressure (which is our only chance), then once the ball gets inside or on rebounds they will be very strong.
They recently won the Calgary tournament they were in - beating St. francis and Bishop Grandin in the process.

Lastly - bbspirit, I'm thinking of taking your advice about packing in a zone for Oleary.. I felt sorry for our girls (5'Cool as Adut (6'2) got shots off that our girls could not do anything about..at least not in single coverage.. As far as competing at 4A level, until I get a girl over 5'9 I stickin to 3A. Raymond has an easier path to 4A provincials than we would have trying to get out of Edmonton anyway (Metro/Public league). We play as many 4A teams as we can to prepare ourselves for the top 3A schools - who also play 4A schools (Magrath comes to mind).
Anyhow - my 2cents after the first weekend of BB. League games start tomorrow for Metro League with us playing ABJ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:02 am

No kidding, you don't often see the biggest post player in a school be from the girls team. It should be a very competitive season and I do agree that the PK girls may be a sleeper if they can get any guard play(but I don't see that happening)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:28 am

lci lost to raymond by 2...they were at one point up 15. if they could develop a press break...beating raymond is no issue..if raymond is provincially ranked lci should be ranked higher yes they lost, but lci has the size that raymond lacks...this raymond team isnt the team of the last few years...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: rankings ---south    Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 pm

Noticed earlier Southfan I believe had Catholic Central ranked in the top 10 in province ...Did you mean the CC from Lethbridge as they were in the Holy Trinity Tourney on the weekend with new transfers and looked weak at best Archbishop MacDonald beat them by 8 or so in the semi-finals ....and with Raymond just beating LCI perhaps the South may not even end up in the top 10 ...just a quick thought ...looks like the big cities may have the top team s this year to start with , but as always things change throughout the year....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: tranfers ---- Edmonton Style    Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

thenk you for your update JD ... question how does SG get all these transfers the last couple of years ...provincial players at best ... how does one go about getting in on the action ...does one have to coach a provincial team or manage etc...Also, read about Churchill in Calgary doing very similiar things ...how many players did they also pick up....ANY OTHERS OUT THERE .... afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Today at 3:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Girls tru pre-season rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next