HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls tru pre-season rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:55 pm

Get in on the action- sure it's easy just have a legitimate shot at a provincial title and some players will choose to attend your school. No need to even recruit them. Don't get me wrong in order to have a tilte shot you are probably a good coach or draw from 2000 students or just happen to have the team of a lifetime or the player wishing to transfer is attending a school which does not have the same caliber of program or all of the above.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: get in on the action   Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 am

The ASAA is currently formulating another transfer rule targeting these grey areas which coaches cheat at to put it bluntly .......yes large schools will have an advantage due to school size etc...but these provincial players affiliated with an adult is a little much to take .....perhaps the Basketball Alberta people will be advised of the optics..... alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: transfers.....   Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:14 pm

king afro flower affraid lol...........................waiting to hear from coaches in the mix.....Spruce Grove , Churchill etc....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:30 pm

I will jump in the conversation... first off, from personal program experience, we have benefited from an excellent club system in St. Albert where we have happened to get a number of quality players who have had good coaching early - that being said, we (SACHS) seem to get the guards while PK seems to get the bigs - not sure why:)
We were also extremely lucky to get an American player who was a state all-star as a freshman in Washington who decided to attend our school - Catholic and us having a decent track record at provincials were big sellers along with school size. This is the first year (this is my 7th year coaching females) that we have had transfers IN for various reasons - they are not provincial calibre players however they do make us competitive this year with only 2 grade 12's instead of us building and peaking next year.

As for Spruce Grove, I know personally that most of the success has been built on local products and coaches being a part of the spruce grove / stony plain club systems. This translated to success, which then starts to attract success and other players. The transfers that have occurred are coming from smaller communities that are in isolation (Hinton, Rimbey, Devon) where truthfully, they would not experience the exposure or coaching that can be provided at Spruce Grove. While I do espouse the theory that if you are good, coaches will find you - that works OK in the city but it is more difficult in outlying areas. I also know that these players are not promised anything other than opportunity - no minutes guaranteed etc. and that the coaches stay completely out of the transfer process as they should. Are there cases where coaches are familiar with athletes - of course. I coached with the BA, CP program so I would feel comfortable saying hello to any of these local athletes - however, I certainly was never "recruiting" them to come to St. Albert. We run our own spring / summer teams, attend tournaments, travel etc. and offer opportunities to kids in St.Albert and then go from there.. I'm still waiting for a 6'fter to walk through my door, so if anyone has one that likes to run, and press, I can offer their parents high taxes in St. Albert...

Just my opinion...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 am

eye/witness wrote:
thenk you for your update JD ... question how does SG get all these transfers the last couple of years ...provincial players at best ... how does one go about getting in on the action ...does one have to coach a provincial team or manage etc...Also, read about Churchill in Calgary doing very similiar things ...how many players did they also pick up....ANY OTHERS OUT THERE .... afro

Could you expand on this. I haven't heard anything about Churchill recruiting. At least not from other teams or schools. I believe they do try to promote themselves to many up and coming JH players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: SLOWPOKE   Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 pm

It is not the JH we are talking about .... it is the transfers from another high school that will struggle this year and these players bail on them and are are courted by coaches ......Churchill, Spruce Grove come to mind ...any others out there .. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Sorry, but I haven't heard of any transfers. Could you name names. I know other teams in Calgary have been accused of this before and the transfer turned out to be legit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:55 pm

I thought this threat was taking about rankings, not who got the best transfers......I coach at Scona and not only did i not get any transfers, but i lost one of my best players as well............to.......work? Hahahahahahahahahaha now that is funny.

Oh yea, and 4 out of my top 6-players are Volleyball girls who are some of the tops in the province. So they miss alot of practice, but I love this, I think this is why we coach so we can show people that we can win against the all odds.....Edmonton Primere will be crazy this year.

my Rankings for Edmonton

1-O'Leary
2-St.Alberta High 3A (do not count them) #1 3A
3-Spruce Grove
4-JP
5-Scona
6-Paul Kane
7-ABJ
8-Harry Ainley.....? not seen them play
9-Bev Facey

After 5 Anything after for can happen......Should be a fun year.... afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://networksbasketball.net
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 am

Nightballer - re Ainlay. They lost 47-88 tonight against O'Leary. 8-26 after 1, 16-45 after 2, 25-71 after 3rd. In the 4th O'leary had 4 rookies and one senior on the floor for about 5 minutes. They gave up about 10 points but they also added a few.
So, its not looking good for last years Champs.
They've lost Suzanna S for the season and Jesslynn just got the Ok this morning to ease back into playing. Tonight Jesslynn played 2 minutes in the first half and maybe 6 in the second half. Clearly she's the best player on the team and they'll need her in top shape if they hope to be remotely competitive. Unfortunately for her, she's pretty much alone in the deep end of this years HA talent pool.
Gus
(edit - mistaken said Joanna when I meant Suzanna)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: Rankings December   Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:00 am

Southfab , Rareair , Scona man , etc......now that you have some scores to work with lets see what ya got for rankings ....... bounce Basketball afro lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:27 pm

Based on the last few weeks of Edmonton tournaments, for the region I'd say we have some close teams.

1 & 2 - O'Leary vs. Spruce Grove (should be decided in the March crossovers, with a preview at the Panther classic)

3 & 4 - JP vs. Scona

5 & 6 - Paul Kane vs. St. Alberta (SACHS injuries - not sure if they're long term; if not they'd move up)

7 & 8 - ABJ vs. Ross Sheppard

9 & 10 - Harry Ainlay vs. Bev Facey

Can't comment on the South

Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: top ten    Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Rankings to date ---lol .....

Southfan/Rareair /Nighballer What you think....

1. O'Leary
2. Centennial
3.Spruce Grove
4.Western Canada
5.Raymond
6.Japer Place
7.Sir Winston Churchill
8.Bishop Grandin/St. Marys (play Monday night-loser moves to HM )
9.Cardston
10.Strathhcona
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Gus - I agree with the top three being Oleary, Spruce Grove and JP.. biggest issue SG is going to have is depth and that is where JP might have the advantage - at least at this point. JP played very well against us, with our pressure and speed a non-factor - in fact JP ran on us which doesn't happen that often. We lost our US girl (MVP) during that game and she is good for a few points and certainly some basketball IQ. We played Ainley without Shelby Hucul (REB - allstar) as well so I would like to think we would be closer. Shelby will be back - probably limited minutes tomorrow. Kendall (US) has a severe high ankle sprain (ligament tear) so we are hoping to have her in some form for our trip to Phoenix after xmas. We were hoping to make a few contacts with some US schools with her play...

I think Scona is definitely a notch below the top 3 - they are very big and athletic, however I think their youth provides Ron with some up and down play.. a lot of their scores would suggest some inconsistency - however you would not want to meet them on a good day. They would give us a TON of problems with their size and in their 2-3 zone.

I still say a big sleeper is PK - they have quality size in Kelly Fagan (U17 prov team), Whitney Follette (6'2 VB player with unbelievable reach/athleticism) along with some good perimeter players (Allie Larson from Devon) - which they have lacked in the past...
We have always managed to have success against them with a lot of pressure and daring them to shoot from the perimeter. They seem to have some balance now and can certainly score based on their success / reported scores. They have not lost yet this season with no win being less than double digits. I think coach Natasha Hutchinson has brought some stability and passion - along with perhaps playing some m2m instead of always the 1-3-1 zone. I know they are not used to playing m2m but with their size they cover a lot of ground. I know our game will certainly be a tale of two completely different type teams - I think it should be a great game and should conjure up a great rivalry - something which has been lacking over the last 3-4 years in the girls programs. We always try to play the David (SACHS - 600kids) vs. Goliath (PK - 1200) card and lets see what happens. I know we (SACHS) have a long ways to go compared to the year to year success of a Raymond or Cardston, but we're starting to at least be consistent.

Ainley will give people trouble when they have their two all-star guards.. Emily and Jess played against us during the REB since Jess was given the green light to play after MRI results and Emily did not have national team soccer conflicts. If both of them are there, different team (FYI - they were not playing vs. Oleary.. luck us got them both)

I have not seen Facey but they have too many athletes to not be considered and ABJ is extremely young and are playing without their best player Erin McKinnon (prov. calibre). Once the youngster age.. and Erin comes back, they will be more composed and add 20pts/game.

So for me;
Oleary (Adut is X factor - there is NO ONE is Edmonton area that can contain her..period..)
JP (due to depth)
Spruce Grove (once injuries heal - rotation is solidified.. things change)
Paul Kane (unknown but size never gets tired...)
Scona
HA (when healthy)
ABJ / Facey (love the rivalry)
Ross Shep

We don't count... Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:33 am

JD - SACHS does count! I know 8 Lady Spartans with a Metro Edmonton banner score to settle Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:51 am

Are there any 3A schools to challenge SACHS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ominous

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 am

Lycurgus1011 wrote:
Based on the last few weeks of Edmonton tournaments, for the region I'd say we have some close teams.

1 & 2 - O'Leary vs. Spruce Grove (should be decided in the March crossovers, with a preview at the Panther classic)

3 & 4 - JP vs. Scona

5 & 6 - Paul Kane vs. St. Alberta (SACHS injuries - not sure if they're long term; if not they'd move up)

7 & 8 - ABJ vs. Ross Sheppard

9 & 10 - Harry Ainlay vs. Bev Facey

Can't comment on the South

Gus

I hope that PK has a chance to shine. The girls there deserve it. I think for the past few years they have been unable to unleash their talent. They have so much potential but their offense has been too structured and their defence too controlled. They need to play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Eventhought i think (JD) hit the nail on the head when it comes to everyones' program (great insight by the way). I think there are a lot of unknowns like Paul Kane (Centennial) out there this year..........Yes Scona is a notch below the top 3 and YES runs a 2-3 zone which i hate and had to pray to the basketball GODS for at least a month before deciding on it and am still thanking them for there forgiveness....(HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) We are hurt as well.......

Loss to ST.FX missing 4 of my top 7 players all over 5'-10"
Loss to JP who has an awesome coach and i am sure she out coaches me everytime we play, and i bet i am no the only one, lost my starting 2-gurad early in that game.........
Lost to O'Leary 4 girls doing volleyball try-outs all weekend........but they are a better team...
Lost to Spruce Grove twice both times without my starting 2-guard 5'-11" once by 27, and went into the fouth qaurter down by 25 and lost by 6-point......

So Deeds, this is where my inconsistant scoring comes from, not youth, well some youth and playing everyone, but anyway "you know what i mean"...

I hope this does not sound like i am whinning, because i am not. This year, based on our wins and losses Scona would be lucky to be in the top 10.

However, as you all know that in the past

Ranked 1 (no provincails)
Ranked on the top 8 (no provincails)
Unranked (Provincails???????????????)HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh Yea, Aloha from Maui it looks great Game tonight......wish us luck see you when i get home............ afro

Back to top Go down
westwind Bball

PostSubject: good 3A teams    Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm

To reply to other good 3A teams Magrath is good with Canada team tryout player and a good supporting cast rest of 3A teams in south are weak this year as of now westakawin pretty good aren't they oh the reason I include McCoy as being weak they lost almost all their players I am told
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:58 am

On paper, WC is the hands down choice for top seed from Calgary. However, after our opening season tournament Centennial is clearly the #1 draw. None of the teams Centennial met could contain the two Grey sisters, WC included. Centennial also has a pretty good 1 - 2 punch when it comes to point guards. Montana and Cassie. The rest of the team is solid enough but without their stars would just be a fair team. They also have a decent transition game early in the season that will just mature and make them tougher to play. Unless there is a team that can defend the sisters and out rebound them on their own boards, Centennial will be a tough team to beat. Don't know if there is any team in Calgary with that kind of size and skill to hold them up.

Western has the best chance at beating Centennial once they get their point guard, Hanna, back. Izzy and Maddy are good ball handlers but Hanna is a great point guard and that could make the difference if they meet again. Most likely at the Calgary City championships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 pm

Well, the first round rankings are out :
1 Archbishop O'Leary
2 Centennial High
3 Western Canada
4 Jasper Place
5 Sir Winston Churchill
6 Spruce Grove Composite
7 Raymond
8 Paul Kane
9 Cardston High
10 St. Mary
HM - Archbishop Jordan, Bishop Grandin, Harry Ainlay, Lethbridge Collegiate Institute, Strathcona Composite

Note that St. Albert Catholic is #1 in 3A

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:09 pm

I agree with the top 4. I think that Spruce Groove is a better team than Churchill and there order should be changed.

Raymond is a little to high, they only beat Scarlett by 12 or 15 and Scarlet is not that good this year. Has Raymond played any top teams yet?

St Mary's lost to Scarlett in league play so they should not be ranked in the top 10, should be an HM instead.

Cardston should also not be in the top 10. Perhaps Harry Ainlay or Scona should replace Cardston?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eye/witness

PostSubject: rankings    Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Rankings are out and a couple notes ...Spruce Grove should be ranked higher that is agreed and perhaps a little game being played there ....Scarlett did beat Marys by 1 perhaps after the rankings were in etc... noticed last night that Marys did win 87 58 over Grandin who was HM....what is with the Calgary teams not posting there rersults on the ASAA web page ......some schools have played 3 league games and no scores reported ... also no tourney rersults ... bounce Basketball Question afro santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nightballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 am

i am getting on the Spruce Grove Band Wagon they do deserve to be ranked high, however so does JP who lose to O'Leary by 1
Back to top Go down
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm

couple of observations.. first off, as a ranking committee member - please post your scores asap.. it helps in determine where teams fit.. The only logic I can think of NOT doing it is you don't care whether your zone gets a wildcard or where you fit - and that you assume that your team will qualify based on your talent.. thus the "no results"..

I think Centennial is solid where they are along with Western.. we played Centennial last year in our tourney final and caught them on an off day.. plus their starting PG got a concussion part way through and Montana was forced to play a lot of minutes. They have a ton of quality size inside.. can Western match that? I don't know the bigs of WC, I only know the guards and they are certainly LOADED.. however I'll take quality bigs hitting a 2fter vs a good guard shooting a PUll-up anyday..

JP / Spruce Grove - the reason for this has to stem from SACHS being their common opponent and the varying results. We ended up beating SG and lost handily to JP. That would account for the slight descrepancy. SG is NOT healthy right now with 2 of their top 6 players having injuries. JP is good to go (as far I know), so something else to keep in mind.

Harry Ainley should have an ** beside them.. if their two all-star guards play at the same time - they are very good and will give teams some trouble. If Jess / Emily are away for any reason (injury / soccer) they quickly float down to average.

I saw Cardston last year and their dark haired guard was awesome (solid build..good handles) plus their big was very good as well.. if they are gone.. not sure. If they are back, they could be trouble...

Oleary to me, is still the number one (as seeded).. Adut makes up for all the perimeter gambling mistakes that the guards make - which allows them to be aggressive and feed all penetration to her.. If I didn't have to play against them, I would certainly enjoy watching Adut go to work..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JD

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:31 pm

A few local edmonton updates..
We played Oleary last night - lost by 7 (72-65). Thought we played hard and scrapped as best we could - in the end we cannot make up for the easys that Adut can get @ 6'3 vs our 5'8 posts.. We are still missing a starting post and our US girl had her first game back after missing the last month. Oleary had a few girls return after illness as well so I am hoping to be there "in the end".. Oleary beat ABJ by 60 the night before so their ability to turn it on is impressive.
Spruce Grove beat JP by 15 - would like to know how that game went or if JP had any missing players. I think Spruce Grove is still missing a starting post (ankle/knee injury) and possibly their best off-the-bench player... curious - anyone have a report?
Also saw that Ross Shep beat Scona I think.. curious about that one as well...

For 3A girls - Morinville beat Camrose which is a bit of surprise given Camrose has a very veteran line-up that finished 4th in 3A last year..
LSL is also doing well with good results so I will have to get out and look at them...

Any news from Calgary or the South in terms of solidifying ranking placements or having some upsets take place??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls tru pre-season rankings   Today at 9:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Girls tru pre-season rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next